LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

bubye lexus, hello porsche :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 01:53 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
You want something reliable and you are getting a porsche suv?? Doesn't make sense to me. Warranty or no warranty I wouldnt get a Porsche SUV. I don't know about you but my time is valuable and it is a complete pain in the *** to be at the dealer every other week to get issues fixed.

Best of luck to you.
like i said before, r neighbor has a cayenne, never had a problem, we have an lx, we always have problems, but it is 7 years old so, w/e but when isaid pearl power didnt like these cars, i meant cayenne, lol everyone luvs porsches, my first car was a 914, luved it. o and yea, lx is a bit big, so not for us, and my mom is tired of the hydrolic suspension, the rr sport, well lil out of r price range, so thats why we r settling for the v6 cayenne and not the v8, and we still hav a year wit the lx, so we will enjoy it till then, but yea. i know its weird to decide on a car a year before u buy it, but yea, it took my dad 3 months to decide wat color car he was going to get, so its not that weird for us. any other in put on the cayenne would be nice hate it or luv it, tell me bout it
Old 08-08-07, 03:40 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lweisenb
are and our = 2 seperate words and neither of them is r. Your posts are really difficult to read.

As for the cayenne, I actually like the design but reliability is not a strong point of it or the vw.
Maybe he's a pirate or better yet, a Canadian.
Old 08-08-07, 03:44 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson
That is just wrong!
Old 08-08-07, 07:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jayson
wow so not cool, call me asian, call me strange, heck call me anything, but calling me canadian, thats way way to far .... lol
Old 08-15-07, 02:48 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest...my LX is nearing 8 years old. I just got the 90k service done and plan on keeping it much longer. With regular upkeep, the LX will far outlast most other new SUVs. If your mother is going to lease the cayenne thats fine, but i would suggest you tell her to not buy it.

JMD, can you please use periods to make up sentences that form paragraphs? Im not trying to be a pain but its really hard to read your posts.

Pearlpower, yaya rennlist! yaya 997TT! The only thing i miss about my LX when driving the 911 is the height...so hard to see ahead.
Old 08-15-07, 02:44 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much mileage does your LX have to have so much problems??
Old 08-15-07, 03:08 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
to be honest...my LX is nearing 8 years old. I just got the 90k service done and plan on keeping it much longer. With regular upkeep, the LX will far outlast most other new SUVs. If your mother is going to lease the cayenne thats fine, but i would suggest you tell her to not buy it.

JMD, can you please use periods to make up sentences that form paragraphs? Im not trying to be a pain but its really hard to read your posts.

Pearlpower, yaya rennlist! yaya 997TT! The only thing i miss about my LX when driving the 911 is the height...so hard to see ahead.
woops , sorry bout that im used to shorthand and writing like crap because of texting and aim. and yea we coudnt afford to buy the porsche. as to the milage and problems, it has 85 thousand miles, has had suspension problems, glad to learn that the dealership will replace them for free whenever something is faulty, have nad problems with wipers, windows, rust issues, even though we wash it weekly, have had navigation problems, we have had lock problems, and the other things. but the motor is running great so smooth and quite, just other things all covered by warranty
Old 08-15-07, 04:42 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

as i am not a porsche owner, i have driven my mom's cayenne many times. she has the turbo s, because of course dad wanted to ride sometimes too and the v6 wasnt enough. also..i'm not paying for it, so whatever problems it has i dont pay attention too! but i do know that it has been very reliable. i'm sure that there are bads ones out there, but hey, no car companies perfect. and yea you'll have a warranty so you're good! now don't ask how the turbo s is because i dont want you too feel as if the v6 really isnt enough, after all it is a porsche. since i only joy ride and not daily drive it, i leave the suspension low and can tell you that it's very enjoyable.

as for going from an lx to a cayenne, couldnt tell you anything related to the lx because ive never driven one, even though as u can see that 570 makes me drool! but i can assure you that you'll love the cayenne. and hey, if it has a problem, you get a cayenne loaner. or maybe you'll bring it in that day and they'll only have boxters left. who knows--hopefully you wont have to pick up the kids that day!

keep in mind this too. carrera4S does seat 4. and if it's kids, why not! and also that panamera's coming out soon, im sure with a 4S model. never knooooow!
Old 08-15-07, 05:05 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

my mom has the farthest thing from a lead foot, so the v6 will be perfect for her. and since i will be old enough to drive by the time she gets it so i will try to enjoy myself. and even for a v6 the exhaust note from that thing is a piece of heaven
Old 08-15-07, 05:09 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive driven the LX back to back with a CT, being a porsche junkie i loved it, but only because of the raw power. Comparing a V6 Cayenne to a LX, i would take the LX. V8 Cayenne vs LX, about even and V8TT Cayenne vs LX...well i would take the TT just because its got so much raw power.
Old 08-15-07, 05:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

well like i said before, my mom is the one driving and well, she isnt going to be racing anyone anytime soon, and another factor to the v6, is well GAS. gas prices are just killer. so that may also explain it. and while the cayenne's gas milage is not that great, it is still bette then the lx. from wat ppl have posted, it seems that not many are fond of the cayenne.
Old 08-16-07, 11:15 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

My DD is a 86 4Runner...requires very little maintenance, just to the PM and it keeps running. I bet it's still more reliable than most new cars. The little 4-banger w/ 5speed manual still gets 24mpg w/ the 2" OME lift and ARB/Kaymar steel bumpers due to the TRD cam, header, and larger cat/catback. Visibility is excellent, fuel economy is good, offroad performance is excellent, upkeep costs are low ($20/yr for registration/licensing), and if 'ya crash it, no big loss!

It's at 21 yrs now. The Landcruiser/LX470 is intended to last 30 years, so 8 years is nothing. It's not even broken in yet!

Last edited by V8_Fan; 08-16-07 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 12:47 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
well like i said before, my mom is the one driving and well, she isnt going to be racing anyone anytime soon, and another factor to the v6, is well GAS. gas prices are just killer. so that may also explain it. and while the cayenne's gas milage is not that great, it is still bette then the lx. from wat ppl have posted, it seems that not many are fond of the cayenne.
Get the current "Truck Trend" mag. they have an article on the 2008 cayenne with the new 3.8 V6. Sounds like the 2008 is a big improvement over the previous models.
Old 08-22-07, 11:21 AM
Chris22
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't.
Family used to own a Cayenne Turbo, loaded out with all the bells and whistles. The car is a blast to drive, but it had more electrical problems then anything weve ever owned in the 2 years we had. Then took a $50,000 hit in depreciation after 2 years and 25k. Now the winter-mobile is a new 07 Supercharged Range Rover, been relative good so far, knock on wood.
The V6 Cayenne (in my opinion) is crap. Interior feels cheap as hell when compared to a Turbo or LX. And, theyre almost as expensive as an LX OTD when comparably equipped (wood trim, moonroof, etc).
If you're trying to save money and be gas conscoius, look at a RX400h or a Highlander Hybrid, those are two excellent choices.
Now don't get me wrong, I love the Cayenne. But I'd only ever buy one if I could drop $100k++ and get a fully optioned Turbo and I had other vehicles to drive when it's spending the time in the shop. (Which it will)

My 00 LX470 is pushing 91k and still hasn't had a single problem except for my Nak head unit going bust a few years ago.

As I said if money is what youre worried about, factor in depreciation and parts costs and you'll change your mind.

Porsche dealers (in my experience) are crap. The two I've dealt with, when you bring in your $105,000 Cayenne TT with a warranty problems give you a Cayenne S or V6 maybe 50% of the time. The rest of hte time, it's anything from a Ford Taurus to Pontiac Sunfire. That may just be the dealers of put up with though.

Regardless, my recommendations -
RX400h, Highlander Hybrid, X3 (mixed reliability, but BMW is a great company, great product), Acura MDX/RDX (both awesome cars).

Chris
Old 08-22-07, 01:40 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris22
I wouldn't.
Family used to own a Cayenne Turbo, loaded out with all the bells and whistles. The car is a blast to drive, but it had more electrical problems then anything weve ever owned in the 2 years we had. Then took a $50,000 hit in depreciation after 2 years and 25k. Now the winter-mobile is a new 07 Supercharged Range Rover, been relative good so far, knock on wood.
The V6 Cayenne (in my opinion) is crap. Interior feels cheap as hell when compared to a Turbo or LX. And, theyre almost as expensive as an LX OTD when comparably equipped (wood trim, moonroof, etc).
If you're trying to save money and be gas conscoius, look at a RX400h or a Highlander Hybrid, those are two excellent choices.
Now don't get me wrong, I love the Cayenne. But I'd only ever buy one if I could drop $100k++ and get a fully optioned Turbo and I had other vehicles to drive when it's spending the time in the shop. (Which it will)

My 00 LX470 is pushing 91k and still hasn't had a single problem except for my Nak head unit going bust a few years ago.

As I said if money is what youre worried about, factor in depreciation and parts costs and you'll change your mind.

Porsche dealers (in my experience) are crap. The two I've dealt with, when you bring in your $105,000 Cayenne TT with a warranty problems give you a Cayenne S or V6 maybe 50% of the time. The rest of hte time, it's anything from a Ford Taurus to Pontiac Sunfire. That may just be the dealers of put up with though.

Regardless, my recommendations -
RX400h, Highlander Hybrid, X3 (mixed reliability, but BMW is a great company, great product), Acura MDX/RDX (both awesome cars).

Chris
Chris based on your experience he should buy a 2 year old one with 25K miles on it and save all that depreciation from buying new. Plus the first owner might of gotten all the bugs worked out on his time. I guess I would suggest an extended warranty based on your experience.

Quick Reply: bubye lexus, hello porsche :)