LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Lexus LX470 vs Infiniti QX56

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 05:47 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus LX470 vs Infiniti QX56

I noticed the Lexus is approximately $15,000.00 more expensive. What's better about it than the Infiniti QX56? I don't want to hear "Lexus quality" or "Lexus reliability" or "Lexus customer service" because they're both too close in those aspects. Personally, I like the looks of the Infiniti better - and it's got much more power. I like that too.. But I've learned to Always give Lexus the benefit of the doubt. So what exactly is it that makes the Lexus so much more expensive? Technically...
Old 06-13-05, 07:24 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but quality and reliability do factor in.

Especially when you look at the materials along with fit & finish.

The Lexus will give you more trouble free miles with less of the rattles and squeaks.

I've owned Nissan (Infiniti), Honda (Acura), and Toyota (Lexus), and no one comes close to Toyota when it comes to how they bolt together vehicles. I would put Honda second and Nissan a distant third.

Just drive the two. That should be enough.
Old 06-13-05, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I noticed the Lexus is approximately $15,000.00 more expensive. What's better about it than the Infiniti QX56? I don't want to hear "Lexus quality" or "Lexus reliability" or "Lexus customer service" because they're both too close in those aspects. Personally, I like the looks of the Infiniti better - and it's got much more power. I like that too.. But I've learned to Always give Lexus the benefit of the doubt. So what exactly is it that makes the Lexus so much more expensive? Technically...
Sal, its not even close. The QX is one of the worst built new car or SUVs around. The car is built in Mississippi alongside the Titan/Armada. The quality is severly lacking in a SUV of this price and supposed stature. Just check any Nissan or any auto forum.

The QX does have the grand 5.6 liter engine. But the interior is lacking for the price. The plastics are hard all over. Fit and finish is average. The QX is a larger SUV, if you need the extra space.

Also, while the LX is a true off road vehicle, the QX is not. As a matter of fact, Motor Trend had a comparo with the QX56, Navigator, LX 470 and RR and the QX finished last. The best part of the SUV is the engine. One quote I remember "It rattles like a schoolbus full of children".

The LX is based on the LandCruiser which is one of the most respected SUVs in the WORLD, not just here. Its probably the best built SUV in the world by far. The LX interior alone is worth the asking price, you sit in that SUV and it makes you feel its worth the money (the RR gives you this feel too). It is smaller and finally, it has VVTi for more power but it won't be a track star.

Its imported in limited quantaties and even with its 70k askiing price and no advertising, Lexus sells every last one.

Here is the comparo article
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt/index2.html
Old 06-14-05, 05:32 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Please see this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=lx470+qx56

Please note my comments in it. BTW, Doc C eventually bought an LX470!!

And my predictions of the QX are true. I stand by my every comment in that thread.

Last edited by tigmd99; 06-14-05 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-14-05, 08:52 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for all the good reading. That 6.8 0-60 is damn impressive, though... That's one fast SUV... Most cars on the road don't go anywhere near that fast..
Old 06-14-05, 09:04 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Thank you for all the good reading. That 6.8 0-60 is damn impressive, though... That's one fast SUV... Most cars on the road don't go anywhere near that fast..
True...but if i want something fast, then i would rather buy a sports car or even a crossover SUV (BMW X5, Infiniti FX, etc.) before QX.
Old 06-14-05, 09:56 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99
True...but if i want something fast, then i would rather buy a sports car or even a crossover SUV (BMW X5, Infiniti FX, etc.) before QX.
It's always nice to have the best of both worlds...
Old 06-14-05, 02:50 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd take the LX because it'll give me less headaches in the longrun. The QX is just eye candy. It's nice to look at but when the day is done, the QX sucks. I guess the only thing that disappoints me is the fact that the LX hasn't received a major face lift yet. Look at the Gx, it's all nice and beautiful while the LX is still a bit old school. Check out the GX if you've got some time.
Old 06-14-05, 03:02 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are considering both just remember the 2006 LX got a pretty big boost in hp from 235 to 275 and 320lbs ft of torque to 332. So test drive the 2006. The LX is a more refined vehicle and it is built better.
Old 06-14-05, 05:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, just got my lx470 today! so I am biased!
Old 06-14-05, 06:42 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The QX is "eye candy"?? That's an interesting comment. I personally had to catch up with it the first time I saw it on the road. I wanted to see who exactly had made this ***-ugly vehicle! In the interest of full disclosure, I was catching up with it in my 2004 LX470. While I do agree with Sal's point that the Lexus is underpowered, it still doesn't change the fact that the QX isn't in the same stratosphere as the LX. The LX is the ultimate SUV. I guess the best advice I could give you is ...DRIVE IT! If you take it for a drive, you'll see what everyone is saying. I personally don't think any of these vehicles are worth what these manufacturers are selling them for. That said, I think the LX has the reputation it has for a reason...it's a superbly engineered vehicle. I would imagine every SUV on the road is probably faster than the LX. The LX wasn't built for speed. If speed is what you're after, I'd suggest a Corvette!

John from Boston
Old 06-15-05, 01:34 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma869
The QX is "eye candy"?? That's an interesting comment. I personally had to catch up with it the first time I saw it on the road. I wanted to see who exactly had made this ***-ugly vehicle!
John from Boston
Ok now THAT comment was funny!! I think The Titan is the UGLIEST of the whole assembly line. It's just makes you wonder who in the world or what in the world they have desinging these ugly-*** vehicles. I just don't understand why they get bought...but you still wonder that about Gremlins and Pacers with the FAST 0-60 times of 17.9 seconds (Gremlin) and 14.6 seconds (Pacer). Ok there quarter miles were in the 20s!! So I mean they hit 70mph in a wopping 20 seconds...mine does it in 7!! But I mean I'm sure people thought of those as "Eye Candy" too, but I'm not a fan of those crap-mobiles. Needless to say I'm not fond of Nissan either. *Cough PISSAN cough*
Old 06-15-05, 08:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Ok now THAT comment was funny!! I think The Titan is the UGLIEST of the whole assembly line. It's just makes you wonder who in the world or what in the world they have desinging these ugly-*** vehicles. I just don't understand why they get bought...but you still wonder that about Gremlins and Pacers with the FAST 0-60 times of 17.9 seconds (Gremlin) and 14.6 seconds (Pacer). Ok there quarter miles were in the 20s!! So I mean they hit 70mph in a wopping 20 seconds...mine does it in 7!! But I mean I'm sure people thought of those as "Eye Candy" too, but I'm not a fan of those crap-mobiles. Needless to say I'm not fond of Nissan either. *Cough PISSAN cough*
I got this comparison pic from the Supraforums and was rotflmao!!!

Old 06-15-05, 05:43 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahaha. this is funny!
Old 06-15-05, 09:45 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

LX 470 > QX56 except for interior room but other than that...LX 470 all the way!

Quick Reply: Lexus LX470 vs Infiniti QX56