LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

OFFICIAL: LS460 w/electronic cutouts thread FTW

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 10:33 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OFFICIAL: LS460 w/electronic cutouts thread FTW

~~PICS AND VIDEOS BELOW~~

Some of you may of known that Iv'e been wanting to get some sound out of this beast for awhile now, especially if you've seen my exhaust options thread. I searched for different exhaust solutions and they either sucked, were too expensive, or didn't exist.

I searched around for awhile and asked around here and there and came up with the solution to try out electronically controlled cutouts. Iv'e seen them on other cars before, such as Corvettes and Mustangs, but the don't seem to be popular outside of american cars. After talking with a few people that have done it, I decided to just try it out.

I went with QTP electronic cutouts since they have a great reputation and seem to hold up well in the moist Florida weather. At 1st I wanted to mount them right before the mufflers because I had seen a GS460 on Youtube with cutouts mounted there, but after looking under the car at a local speed shop, I decided to put them right after the catalytic converters. This is as close up to the engine we could go without tripping the O2 sensor.

Getting the parts was a slight PITA since I thought that the exhaust was 2.5" when it was actually 2". QTP sent me 3" by accident the 1st time then 2.5", then we remeasured and got the 2" but they forgot one of the harnesses, and THEN I forgot to order the U-band pipes LOL, but it all got put together eventually.

I honestly didn't know what to expect when it was done. All that I knew was the GS460 on Youtube with the cutouts in the rear section. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The switch worked flawlessly and is hidden right above the AUX port in the center console.

Probably the best part of this mod is the people's reactions and all the questions I receive, haha! The looks on peoples faces when I demonstrate it closed vs open is priceless!

I was worried about the risk of the car running a bit lean since the exhaust is much more free-flowing than stock, but after about a year checking in now of immature driving, all checks out good with no problems showing so far. As for the performance aspect, I "feel" that the car is faster, but it might just be the affect of the sound, but definitely the throttle response is better when the cutouts are opened vs closed. I have yet to take it to a dyno for ****s & giggles!

Overall, I am very happy with the outcome and I think it's the best mod yet, and I have no regrets, and has made me fall in love with the car again!

Anyways, here are a few pics from under the car, (sorry they're not that good), where you can kinda see where I mounted them. Also, I made a video where I put a few clips on in car driving and flybys together, as well as a cold start video, too.

Here is a rough look at the parts :
2 2in QTP electronic cutouts
Remote switch
2 flanges
2 2inch U-band pipes

Which all came out to $360 + $41 FL sales tax + installation charges, for those who were curious...

The cutouts are roughly where the water bottle is ^^^^

The start-up video:

The flyby/in car video:

And a beauty shot of the beast drinking late night LOL

Last edited by adamls2; 05-20-13 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Re-worded my terrible grammar...
The following users liked this post:
Ragnar1348 (08-25-20)
Old 07-07-12, 12:19 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice but man your pipes look way mor rusted out than mines! Did your car live in an area where it snows?
Old 07-07-12, 12:30 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lbintab
Nice but man your pipes look way mor rusted out than mines! Did your car live in an area where it snows?
Hahaha the car use to live in New Jersey and now in Florida
Old 07-07-12, 12:44 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

No offense intended but why would you want an LS to sound like that? I like the coffin-quiet serenity of my LS myself.
Old 07-07-12, 01:04 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by USLEX
No offense intended but why would you want an LS to sound like that? I like the coffin-quiet serenity of my LS myself.
No offense taken. Since this is my primary car for now I like to have some fun sometimes, but thats why I have the switch, to retain that world class silence. We all have different likes and dislikes; this is just one of the immaturity factors that I strive on LOL

Last edited by adamls2; 07-07-12 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 04:34 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 01-28-13, 08:36 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man congrats on the upgrade. Thanks for the pm on VSC btw, i cant wait to do the exhaust mod on my Crown.
Old 01-28-13, 09:28 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
Hey man congrats on the upgrade. Thanks for the pm on VSC btw, i cant wait to do the exhaust mod on my Crown.
Thanks man...Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing more of your ride!
Old 01-29-13, 12:14 AM
VGBSUPERFL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Off the chain
Old 01-29-13, 06:07 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sound like a beast
Old 01-29-13, 06:33 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wicked! good job
Old 01-29-13, 07:28 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice to be able to change your sound on a switch, I just don't like that air rushing sound. Not refined v8 sound. Glad it worked out how you want it though!
Old 01-29-13, 09:23 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VGBSUPERFL
Off the chain
Originally Posted by AznRacer
Sound like a beast
Originally Posted by jayhoang
wicked! good job
Thanks^^^

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
Nice to be able to change your sound on a switch, I just don't like that air rushing sound. Not refined v8 sound. Glad it worked out how you want it though!
Haha, it was kind-of a blind mod since I didn't know what to expect at all! I was originally going to place them before the mufflers, but ended up trying them right after the cats, since it wouldn't set of any sensors. There was also a worry of running the car lean if they were to be placed before the cats. Anyways, it was a totally different sound than I expected, but I ended up loving it I'm still thinking of putting a axle-back system to have a little sound when it's closed up.

I must add that it's very fun to play around with the manual mode and creating small backfires, hahaha! It's also funny to see people's reactions and questions. The most popular being, "what engine you have in there?".
Old 01-29-13, 10:47 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Adam, I cannot wait to see this in person when I come to FL!!!
Old 01-29-13, 04:21 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Haha, good to know^^

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: LS460 w/electronic cutouts thread FTW