LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help Swapping Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 08:59 PM
wrisperj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Swapping Wheels

Hello everyone, i am new to the forum. I just picked up my new 08 LS460. I already purchased a set of wheel and wanted to know if i had to do anything special if i swapped them myself in the garage. Will the car still track the pressure etc or will it give false readings.

Thanks for the assistance. wanted to put them on in the am.
Old 07-08-11, 09:27 PM
azimali
Driver School Candidate

Dont take my word for it. But I believe you will have to have them calibrated if your wheels have a sensor. Usually calibration isnt to bad.
Old 07-08-11, 11:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

your new wheels need to have tpms and you need to have them programmed to your car's computer
Old 07-09-11, 12:49 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be a stupid question but Cant you take the tpms of the stock wheels and put them on the new ones? Or does it need new ones?
Old 07-09-11, 01:39 AM
wrisperj
Driver School Candidate

what are tpms
Old 07-09-11, 01:41 AM
wrisperj
Driver School Candidate

and does lexus have to do them or can a specialty wheel shop do it
Old 07-09-11, 10:12 AM
kitchamp
Rookie

tpms stands for Tire Pressure Monitoring System, but can use "tpms" to refer to the sensors in the wheels. You can take the tpms out of the stock wheels and install them in your new wheels if they fit, although some aftermarket wheels require adapters to make the tpms fit properly. Alternatively you can purchase another set of tpms if you don't want to remove, but the new set will have to be programmed to the car. From what I have gathered by reading, we cannot have more than one set programmed to the car. You can purchase an OEM set, and I have seen aftermarket tpms that are supposedly compatible with our cars, but I have no experience with these.
Old 07-09-11, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by adamls2
Might be a stupid question but Cant you take the tpms of the stock wheels and put them on the new ones? Or does it need new ones?
you can use your stock ones. i did. key is to make sure the wheels are tpms compatible.

Originally Posted by wrisperj
what are tpms
tire pressure monitor system

Originally Posted by wrisperj
and does lexus have to do them or can a specialty wheel shop do it
toyota has their tpms modules but there are a lot of other ones that will fit i think. programming the tpms, i don't know details, but i have heard shops done it
Old 07-09-11, 10:37 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I believe the LS460 can only store 5 sensors at once, some cars can do up to 8-10 sensors for an extra set of wheels. Discount Tire can do the reprogramming and usually do it for free when you get wheels and tires and they do the TPMS refresh (new seal and other replaceable parts). I think that is like $7 each or something, but they didn't charge me for that.
Old 07-09-11, 11:40 AM
gcam77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitchamp
From what I have gathered by reading, we cannot have more than one set programmed to the car. You can purchase an OEM set, and I have seen aftermarket tpms that are supposedly compatible with our cars, but I have no experience with these.
Actually there can be 2 sets of tpms programmed to the car at once, also you can get OEM TPMS valves on ebay for $20 or less.

After installing 22" wheels, I had an issue with the TPMS valves always breaking inside the wheel, this had me going to the dealer quite a few times for them to swap the broken valve serial number to the new one. This in it self was a PITA because you had deflate each tire 1 at a time and watch the reading in the dash till you found the 1 that was broken then take it across town to the tire shop that can handle 22" wheels because the dealers equipment could not handle wheels that big.

At 1 point the while the tech was programming a new valve I asked, why cant we tell what wheel matches what number in the dash? He then showed me the program that they use and it was just a simple program that had 2 lists, A & B, of 5 rows and pretty much you put the any of the 5 serial numbers in any of the 5 slots for each set of tires, hence, the ambiguity in what tire matches what number in the dash.

It turned out that the reason the tpms kept breaking was that there were installed incorrectly by tire shop that claimed they were experts at installing tpms took about 7 tmps valves for them to finally figure it out.
Old 07-09-11, 12:07 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gcam77
Actually there can be 2 sets of tpms programmed to the car at once
Wait!! What?? For real? Thats not what I heard..if that is the case, that would be great and I can get a 2nd set for my stocks for extremely long road trips! My stock wheels are in my basement with no TPMS since I had those swapped over to my aftermarket wheels. Are you saying I can order a 2nd set, have them installed on my stocks, then just take one of my aftermarket wheels off, put that stock wheel on and my car will see it automatically with no intervention from the dealer or a tire shop? From some other posts about this, the LS actually does not have the 2nd set of 5 slots like other Lexus's do..if this is true, that would be great!!
Old 07-09-11, 12:20 PM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by gcam77
Actually there can be 2 sets of tpms programmed to the car at once, also you can get OEM TPMS valves on ebay for $20 or less.
How are you going to tell the car which set to use? Are you going to use that A/B switch that isn't under the dash?

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-09-11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 06:29 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Wait!! What?? For real? Thats not what I heard..if that is the case, that would be great and I can get a 2nd set for my stocks for extremely long road trips! My stock wheels are in my basement with no TPMS since I had those swapped over to my aftermarket wheels. Are you saying I can order a 2nd set, have them installed on my stocks, then just take one of my aftermarket wheels off, put that stock wheel on and my car will see it automatically with no intervention from the dealer or a tire shop? From some other posts about this, the LS actually does not have the 2nd set of 5 slots like other Lexus's do..if this is true, that would be great!!
If this is true I'm going to do this....
Old 07-09-11, 06:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

this is the first i hear about the ls having ability to do 2 sets of tpms too. i know for the 3gs and 2is, there is a switch in the glove box to switch between 2 sets of tpms. but on the ls460 all i have read so far is the car can only handle 1 set
Old 07-09-11, 11:42 PM
gcam77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Above is the print out of the tpms I got from the tech at the dealer. It is a bit faded, but the first 6 lines read:-

MODE STATUS ................ NORMAL
MAIN TIRE.................................5
2ND TIRE...................................5
SELECT SWITCH....................MAIN
INITIAL SWITCH......................OFF
VEHICLE SPEED.....................0MPH

Quick Reply: Help Swapping Wheels