LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Are you happy with your ML system in your LS 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 02:16 PM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I wonder? Well the first week of February I have about 20 hours of seat time. Heading to FL, going to be on both coasts, so I will see if the speakers loosin up any.
Old 01-27-19, 11:02 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
So here are some of my observations:

1. I tend to listen at low levels with bass and treble boosted and mid range cut. At low levels you generally have to boost bass and treble -- similar to what loudness controls did years ago.
2. If you do raise the volume to about 40 then it all seems balanced as far as bass and treble go -- with mids still on the high side. Mids sound quite harsh.
3. I mainly listen to Tidal Masters - on a LG V30 connected via bluetooth. USB doesn't work on Android and I've never gotten it to work on multiple versions of Android on multiple LS 460s - 2012, 2014, 2017 and now 2018 LS500. Tidal works via USB on an iPhone (but MQA is not available on IOS)
4. My 2008 LS 460 had rich sound - good tight bass, and good crystal clear highs. I recently saw a 2008 LS460 at the dealership and that sounded much better than my LS500. Both had ML.
5. I have a Dirac live system at home and if I boost the mids between 1 - 4 Khz I get similar sound to what the ML in the car sounds like. As such I suspect they have really boosted that frequency range.
6. Mckellyb on the 4 LS forum (he has a 2012 LWB) has an external player where he can tweak frequency response and he is able to get rich sound. I can't get any of my android devices to output sound via the equalizer, android just bypasses it. I guess if we were to equalize the signal prior to feeding it to the ML we might be able to get better sound.

Some years ago I complained to Lexus about the terrible sound quality of the 2012 with ML. They sent out one of their factory experts. I was able to demonstrate to him that there was virtually no bass and that the sound system did not play anything below 80 Hz via bluetooth, DVD- Audio or CD. The same music from the same source sounded good on a 2008 that they had in the shop at that time. All I got from Lexus was "It works as designed"
I didn’t realize that you can stream lossless over bluetooth? That would be much more convienent than usb. Does the receiving side (Lexus Bluetooth receiver) support lossless streaming over Bluetooth?
Old 01-27-19, 11:50 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Jefmedia: I have 3D and 2D off, but sound leveler is on - mainly so that as I drive at a higher speed the sound level increases to compensate for the additional road noise. I download at the highest resolution to my phone and then play that. On the LG V30 is's downloaded at Masters quality. And they do take up quite a bit of space.

Vantage78: If the file is at a max of 48 Khz then it can be transmitted via bluetooth with no loss. However if it's anything higher then it will get downconverted to 48 Khz. I have no idea what the specs are for the internal DAC in the ML headunit so I don't know if that will be better for music recorded at a higher frequency - say 96 Khz. In any case I can't get the headunit to recognize my Android LG V30, so its a moot point.
Old 01-27-19, 12:49 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Jefmedia: I have 3D and 2D off, but sound leveler is on - mainly so that as I drive at a higher speed the sound level increases to compensate for the additional road noise. I download at the highest resolution to my phone and then play that. On the LG V30 is's downloaded at Masters quality. And they do take up quite a bit of space.

Vantage78: If the file is at a max of 48 Khz then it can be transmitted via bluetooth with no loss. However if it's anything higher then it will get downconverted to 48 Khz. I have no idea what the specs are for the internal DAC in the ML headunit so I don't know if that will be better for music recorded at a higher frequency - say 96 Khz. In any case I can't get the headunit to recognize my Android LG V30, so its a moot point.
Thanks. So it sounds like usb is the only way to experience lossless via the ML. I wouldn’t place money on the Lexus Bluetooth supporting a lossless codec.
Old 01-27-19, 02:00 PM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

I think the Bluetooth 5.0 profile gets very close to passing enough data to support lossless playback, however I have not been able to find out what Bluetooth is in the LS. Bluetooth 5.0 has been out since late 2017, and adoption started in 2018, so who knows.
Old 07-20-19, 04:32 PM
johnc22
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default In a Word...

...no, it sux.
Old 07-20-19, 04:38 PM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnc22
...no, it sux.
Not sure I would go that far. Keep in mind I grew up with a single speaker in the dash, 8 track was an upgrade.
Old 08-03-19, 08:32 PM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just bought the LS500, with HUD and ML stereo. I've had ML in LS400, LS430, two LS460's and now the LS500. My main source of music is my iPod that I connect via USB.

I think it sounds just fine.....maybe it should sound better than the LS460 since it is supposed to be more advanced, but it sounds just as good to me if not a little better. I listen in 3D. I leave all the EQ settings at the midpoint levels. Even at loud volumes I hear no distortion. Listen to Frankie Goes To Hollywood; lots of instruments all over the frequency spectrum; sounds as good or better in the LS500 compared to the others, IMO.
Old 08-31-19, 02:06 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take your v30 and plus it into the aux port. That will bypass the LS dsp/dac and use the v30 dac. WHich will also play your MQL files with full unfold. Should sound much better.

Also, Plan to get a LS next year when I trade in my GS. wondering should i go with the ML or just get the basic stereo and do a clean sweep or whateever and install a aftermarket stereo. I had an 08 ls with ml and it was the best sounding factory stereo I had heard. GOt an ISF with ML and it was trash so I ended up replacing all of it.
Anyone seen a LS with a aftermarket stereo?

Last edited by chris6878; 08-31-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 04:03 PM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some years ago I complained to Lexus about the terrible sound quality of the 2012 with ML. They sent out one of their factory experts. I was able to demonstrate to him that there was virtually no bass and that the sound system did not play anything below 80 Hz via bluetooth, DVD- Audio or CD. The same music from the same source sounded good on a 2008 that they had in the shop at that time. All I got from Lexus was "It works as designed"
Really???
so u are saying the 2010+ does not produce bass below 80hz???????? That’s terrible!!!! Especially when it’s advertised as extending from 20hz to 20,000 hz with very low THD.
Old 08-31-19, 04:06 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I've played sine waves on the 2018 ML and it goes all the way down close to 20hz. I'm guessing the woofers have loosened up because the bass seems to sound better than when I first drove it home.
Old 08-31-19, 04:38 PM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I've played sine waves on the 2018 ML and it goes all the way down close to 20hz. I'm guessing the woofers have loosened up because the bass seems to sound better than when I first drove it home.
That’s very reassuring!!
Old 08-31-19, 07:17 PM
johnc22
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just Got an Aux Cable...

Bluetooth bleeds the ears with sizzling hot trebles at flat EQ, while SXM is more pleasing, but definitely scooped. Will update with AUX and CD. Thanks to everybody for their input.
Old 08-31-19, 07:24 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by johnc22
Bluetooth bleeds the ears with sizzling hot trebles at flat EQ, while SXM is more pleasing, but definitely scooped. Will update with AUX and CD. Thanks to everybody for their input.
Cd and USB should sound best. I've noticed with bt the sound looses it's fullness. I've never heard a car play sat radio well. Way too compressed. Hd radio sounds pretty good to me. Better than bt but not as good as USB.
Old 09-03-19, 04:52 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

This was on the 2010 - 2012 MY LS460s. The MY 2014, 2017 and now LS500 are better, but still not as good as the MY 2007 - 2009 LS460s.

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your ML system in your LS 500