LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

19 LS 500 ML system died

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 08:34 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

My previous car had a 5 or 6 band eq so you could tailor the sound the way you want. Would be nice if ML had something like that. At least a separate subwoofer control
Old 01-24-19, 08:36 AM
jefmedia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nsaldanh, I agree, the mid range is where the problem is. The vocals don't sound natural at all. I too have reduced the mid range almost to the point of vocals being overwhelmed by the highs and lows. Just curious, do you have the HUD system in your car?
Old 01-25-19, 08:04 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes I have the HUD system in my car. I have gotten used to using it and seldom look at my speedometer now as I just glance at the HUD unit. It would be a pity to have to cover that up in order to get better sound.
The following users liked this post:
R Z (10-21-22)
Old 01-25-19, 08:17 AM
jefmedia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am more concerned that it might effect the speakers, or that because of the HUD unit, they had to alter the area around the speakers to install the display unit. Probably not but just a thought. I also have gotten to a point that I really like having the HUD. I use Waze for navigation but also set the in car nav so it displays in the HUD. I also wonder if the Clari-Fi has anything to do with the sound quality. I don't believe there is anyway to turn it off though. I use an app on my iPhone called VOX, it lets me use FLAC on my phone and has a parametric equalizer, I have to drop the mid range way down for it to sound "normal" to me. Weird
Old 01-25-19, 09:19 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

I mainly listen to music on a USB drive, or to Tidal on my iPhone connected either via bluetooth or USB. May years ago I used the DVD Audio drive on the ML -- and since the 2012 had such poor sound I ended up tweaking the music to adjust the sound and then recorded that to a DVD audio disk. Lots of work -- but that was all I could do. I got rid of that car in two years. The current unit has DVD video only. It can play the audio track while the car is moving. The video signal gets cut as soon as you start moving. Lexus dropped the DVD Audio capability with the 2013 model year.
Old 06-23-19, 12:06 PM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCAvila
We are a Lexus family. Have owned a total of 7 now. Dad just bought a 2018 LS500 on Friday. Sticker on it was $101,430. He drove straight from the dealership to Houston this past weekend to visit me. Less than 300 miles on it when he arrived. We were listening to the new 3D Levinson system when out of nowhere it just went silent. It occurred right after the infotainment updated. Of course we did everything to troubleshoot. In addition to the sound system not working, the whole interface is sluggish and locks up when you try to do anything with it.

To say he is upset would be an understatement. He just spent some serious coin for this car. Took it to the dealer in Houston. They determined the amp is bad. Of course they don't have any in stock. Dad had to drive all the way home (Corpus Christi) in silence. He has since spoken to the service writer in San Antonio where he purchased the car. Come to find out this is a problem on the Levinson system in the ES350 as well. Same thing. Just shorts out without warning and then silence.

They are sending a flatbed to pickup the car tomorrow and drop off a loaner. Just wondering how many others are experiencing this issue. Sounds like manufacturing defects on these new Levinson amps. What the heck is going on with Lexus quality control?!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago - just driving on a long drive alone and listening to some good tunes and "BAMM!!!" no sound - I did everything. I also noticed that my system rebooted about 5 times prior to getting home. Took it to the dealer, got a loaner a day later they informed me that the AMP went out and ordered another. Took 5 days to get the replacement amp.
Old 06-23-19, 03:57 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

i sat in a 2019 last night system sounded good

i have a 2010 and it is strange, feel like i am in a concert hall in back seat phenomenal

and front is mid biased and door speakers have no voice just bass, totally average in front

overall i get some better than average music from it but not worth the $$
Old 06-24-19, 05:30 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

I had a 2012 LS460L with ML and it was absolutely terrible. The 2018 LS500 is better, but nowhere as good as the 2007 - 2009 LS 460s.
Old 11-15-20, 06:15 PM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed on my LS500 ML that the rear part of the car/sound has half of sound power than the front part --> fading back and front easily confirms it -any combinations, radio USB, CD. Anybody has had it? Any advice?
Old 11-15-20, 06:20 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by berezleon
I noticed on my LS500 ML that the rear part of the car/sound has half of sound power than the front part --> fading back and front easily confirms it -any combinations, radio USB, CD. Anybody has had it? Any advice?
that's by design
Old 10-18-22, 01:13 PM
StaceyM80
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm a newb lol. Just purchased a 2018 LS500 and have been experiencing the radio/sound randomly going out, but the screen still works. Happened a few times just out of the blue and after taking it to be looked at by the Dealership, they say, it worked for them all day and couldn't see anything wrong. My warranty is up next month and I DO NOT want to have to pay out of pocket when this happens again. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-22, 07:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by StaceyM80
Hey everyone, I'm a newb lol. Just purchased a 2018 LS500 and have been experiencing the radio/sound randomly going out, but the screen still works. Happened a few times just out of the blue and after taking it to be looked at by the Dealership, they say, it worked for them all day and couldn't see anything wrong. My warranty is up next month and I DO NOT want to have to pay out of pocket when this happens again. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Since you have registered the issue with the dealer during your warranty period, it should be covered if it happens again. However, I would contact the dealer and confirm they will allow this issue to be grandfathered for a period of time. In the meantime, I highly recommend an extended warranty. Best of luck.