LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Are we still loyalists or what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-18, 12:48 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that its 10 inches too long to be the redesign of the GS. The back seat isnt cavernous because of the mid engine placement.

You just have to adjust your thinking and understand that this car is a car thats to be compared against the likes of the Panamara and the Jaguar XJ, not really the same sort of car as the S Class, A8, 7 Series or G90. Those cars are flagships too, but the aim is different.
I get that they changed the target market of the car, but for nearly 30 years they tried to compete with the S-class, A8, 7 series, etc., so it's an adjustment to see where they've headed.
Old 05-27-18, 08:54 AM
koolkat
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
FWIW, I agree with you on many levels. I have never seen a group of enthusiasts tear down the brand and the products we're supposed to be enthusiastic about as much as people do here. Theres also a very clear attempt at basically every level for owners of older models to denigrate the newer models. Whether this comes from some desire to justify why they haven't upgraded or what, I don't know...but its there. I have always been particularly mystified by why there is such hatred of the 4LS by owners of the 3LS. As somebody who has had both, the cars are way more alike than they are different.

With that said, Lexus has taken a pretty radical departure from what they always were as a company to what they are as a company now. They have basically abandoned all of the areas they used to focus on, and are building cars that focus on areas where they never focused at all. So, it makes sense that people who really liked what Lexus WAS (such as me) dislike what Lexus IS now. If you look at an LS400 and look at an LS500, or drive an LS400 and drive an LS500 they couldn't be more different. And thats not something you see in competitors cars, the S Class and 7 Series, A8 all drive closer to what the LS has historically been than they ever have before. Then you have cars like the G90 that are basically old LS clones and there are other options for those of us who prioritize ride and quiet over handling and performance. Having driven everything in the segment I would say the LS has gone from the best riding car in the segment which it was in the 90s to the worst riding car in the segment. Its also gone from the least dynamic car to the most dynamic car, but for someone like me or the others who have always loved the LS for what it was...we don't like that.

So I wouldn't say "we aren't loyalists" I think the better way to put it is "what we are loyal to is no longer what Lexus is"

Thats not to take away from the 5LS, I liked it a lot when I drove it, I think it still rides really well for the huge improvement in handling. However, I miss the V8, the TTV6 doesn't feel as refined to me, the cabin is much smaller than my LWB LS and much smaller than the competition when what I want is a big spacious LWB car, the car is attractive but it doesn't have the presence to me that something like an S Class or 7 Series or even an A8 does, while I feel the 4LS did, especially the LWB car.

So, no I'm not going to buy another Lexus just because I'm loyal to the brand, they have to continue to build cars that meet my wants and needs. As great a car as the 5LS is it just doesn't for me.

I plan to drive my 4LS for a long time, its a 4 year lease and its only 5 months old at this point, and I may in fact buy it out and keep it, have my company buy it for me as a company car, who knows. What will I get next? I'd probably get an S Class.
Very compellingly point of view. This is clearly a departure from what the Lexus LS was. Clearly Lexus has been making their products more polarizing as of late. Perhaps the crys of consumers and car reviewers about the Lexus brand, especially the 460, being ‘boring’ and ‘for old people’ pushed Lexus into this new attempt to attract a different demographic of consumer. I actually like the understated, ‘old person’ look of flagship vehicles, but one would only need to scour the LS460 forum here in Club Lexus for five minutes to read the disparaging comments about how old the Lexus LS looked and that Lexus was missing the boat when it came to attracting the younger, sports-enthused consumer. Now, I’ve looked at plenty of S-Class cars before deciding on my 17 LS. S-Class is boring too. Powerful engine and great technology but also boring as heck too. So what gives? Lexus listened. They refined the interior, made the 500 sportier, which also meant reducing interior and exterior dimensions for it to drive less like a boat. Now, people are unhappy. We kind of, sort of, did this to ourselves with the incessant complaining, from both Lexus LS owners and from wannabes. Now we don’t like the final product? And don’t forget we don’t want to pay S Class, A8, BMW 7 money, yet we want a car that matches the S-Class? Let’s all get real about this ridiculous perception of reality. This proves true with everyone drooling over the less expensive Genesis G90, which is a car with no personality of its own. I don’t blame Lexus, as referenced to in some of the replies to my original post, for entering this polarizing niche in the market. If they made the car like an S-Class or 7-Series and charged us for it, we’d be outraged. Let’s be real. Has anyone seen the list of standard features on the LS? I priced the LS 500 I wanted with plenty of features at 85k; the same list of features on the S-Class was 115k. Lexus has placed itself into a niche market, but the value quotient for the quality car we’ve all come to love is undeniable. #Facts.
The following users liked this post:
shinonclub (08-09-18)
Old 05-27-18, 09:01 AM
koolkat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
maybe some of the new direction is that corporate is tired of selling 100-200 units a month in the states.
the ls460 is a great car, the ls430 wonderful, and the ls400 great

times have changed and the new ls represents a more youthful product and technology

they have just scored huge with the 2019 es350 i think the ls500 will triple us sales
i think they succeeded and they are not worried about the 6 foot 4 buyer that wanted to cruise into tranquility
times are changing, embrace the change or fall behind
Very true!
Old 05-27-18, 09:06 AM
koolkat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JackMac
Ask the owners of the LS500 versus those who have a 460 and haven’t been in a LS500.

As an owner of a LS500 I’m more than satisfied and thankfully can declare myself a loyalist based on product satisfaction. It’s now Japanese rather than a German clone and that I think will help Lexus over the long haul. Part of luxury is high quality lack of problems and there Lexus beats the Germans. The car looks great in the wild but is challenging to convey in photographs.

But it is a big visual change. Other than the grill it would be difficult to guess what make this car is, which I like. But I consider it a beauty and I never said that about past LS versions.

i suspect they are mainly selling the higher price model because at the moment there is a waiting list so they can tell you to get the higher price car is you want it now. Standard practice in pricing luxury cars.
Great to hear from a loyalist and an actual owner of a 500. I agree that photos online do this car no justice. When I first saw the 500 in person, it actually reminded me much of the 460 in its stance, not design. Glad you’re enjoying the ride!!!!
Old 05-27-18, 06:09 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, I finally got to see the car this weekend at a local dealership. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. Tight/cramped inside despite being huge outside. I'm around 6'6" and my head was uncomfortably close to the roof. The exterior looks a little better in person, but the interior looks much worse than in pics. The seats look and feel nice and the door panels are interesting, but sitting in the car and looking at gauge cluster and across the dash, it is an extreme disappointment. From that view, it feels more Toyota than Lexus. Doesn't feel luxurious or high-end at all. Everything in that market segment looks better to me, including the G90. Not even in the same universe as the S-Class design that is several years old now. No way in 40 hells would I pay even close to $105K for that car. That is an absolute joke.

Not sure who is buying this other than LS loyalist who just want to drive a LS no matter what they put out. I don't see it bringing in converts from the other cars, young or old. I think they looked at the target market for the car, and turned around an threw the dart in the complete opposite direction. I'm not sure they could have made it less appealing to me. So much so, that I didn't even test drive. Would be a waste of time.

I was really hoping Lexus would go back to it's roots and build an S Class killer with a lower price and better reliability. That's what an LS is supposed to be. Not a bloated GS. The only thing I can hope for now is for the car to be a complete flop and for Lexus to get some new leadership and go back to making an LS that is true to the original mission of car. Hate to have that attitude because I don't want Lexus to fail. It's been good to me as a brand. But what they did to the LS is unforgivable and someone need at Lexus to recognize that. I was disappointed in my 2010 LS460L, but I would buy that again before I would buy this car.

On the flip side, they had a red LC500, and that thing is gorgeous. Probably one of the most beautiful designs I've seen in the past decade. Can't wait to see the new ES. Maybe Lexus will get that one right too.
Old 05-27-18, 11:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Well, I finally got to see the car this weekend at a local dealership. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. Tight/cramped inside despite being huge outside. I'm around 6'6" and my head was uncomfortably close to the roof. The exterior looks a little better in person, but the interior looks much worse than in pics. The seats look and feel nice and the door panels are interesting, but sitting in the car and looking at gauge cluster and across the dash, it is an extreme disappointment. From that view, it feels more Toyota than Lexus. Doesn't feel luxurious or high-end at all. Everything in that market segment looks better to me, including the G90. Not even in the same universe as the S-Class design that is several years old now. No way in 40 hells would I pay even close to $105K for that car. That is an absolute joke.

Not sure who is buying this other than LS loyalist who just want to drive a LS no matter what they put out. I don't see it bringing in converts from the other cars, young or old. I think they looked at the target market for the car, and turned around an threw the dart in the complete opposite direction. I'm not sure they could have made it less appealing to me. So much so, that I didn't even test drive. Would be a waste of time.

I was really hoping Lexus would go back to it's roots and build an S Class killer with a lower price and better reliability. That's what an LS is supposed to be. Not a bloated GS. The only thing I can hope for now is for the car to be a complete flop and for Lexus to get some new leadership and go back to making an LS that is true to the original mission of car. Hate to have that attitude because I don't want Lexus to fail. It's been good to me as a brand. But what they did to the LS is unforgivable and someone need at Lexus to recognize that. I was disappointed in my 2010 LS460L, but I would buy that again before I would buy this car.

On the flip side, they had a red LC500, and that thing is gorgeous. Probably one of the most beautiful designs I've seen in the past decade. Can't wait to see the new ES. Maybe Lexus will get that one right too.
Agree with almost everything you said, except I do think the interior is beautiful and modern, very high quality. That said, the lack of space inside kills it for me. I'm not nearly as tall as you (5'11") and my head almost hit the ceiling, too, when I sat in it. The car doesn't feel (to me) as spacious as my old LS430. Rear legroom is no better, maybe worse. My knees were touching the back of the seats in the 500 when I got in the back. I said this before but a big part of owning a big body luxury car is to have all the room. I think this is one of the reasons why the huge SUVs are so popular these days, because cars just are getting smaller and smaller inside.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (05-28-18)
Old 05-28-18, 05:39 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Yeah, I just hate those metal guitar strings running across the dash. To me, looks cheap. Like something that belongs in a 80s Oldsmobile, not a $100K+ car. Buttons and dials of all kinds of shapes, sizes, materials, finishes. No cohesion at all in design. It's like 5 different people did the interior without any communication at all. And then there is the lack of wood, but I've already ranted here about that, so I won't go there again.

I am surprised about the number of people that like the interior. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 05-28-18, 05:45 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

I'll also be glad when automakers across the board get over the whole contrasting color stitching all over the interior design. Makes the interior look busy and overdone.

I'd also like for automakers to go back to a more integrated design between the center console and of the dash. The S Class almost gets there, but not quite. G90 is pretty close too. The LS500 looks completely disconnected. You have the console between the seat that round off near the dash and visually appears completely disconnected from the dash. Then you have a cheap looking black box CD player that just seems stuck in between the upper dash and center console. Then you have the center of the dash with the small shelf of buttons. Completely disjointed. The new Audi A8 design for 2019 is getting back to the way I think the center stack should look. I hope other manufacturers follow.

Last edited by Bob04; 05-28-18 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-28-18, 08:05 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

And one more thing, while I'm on a roll. Black/dark carpet shouldn't be universal. Tan and grey carpet should still be available. Dark carpet shows dirt easier than either of those 2 colors.
Old 05-28-18, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Well, I finally got to see the car this weekend at a local dealership. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.
How can you be disappointed in a car you had already decided you hated before you ever even set foot in it?
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
dsc07 (05-28-18), G Star (05-31-18)
Old 05-28-18, 04:20 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

I agree that I already had issue with the car from what I had read, but I felt I should at least see it in real life before making a final judgement. I struggled to find anything about this car I liked. Nothing blew me away. So yes, it was an even bigger letdown than I expected. Maybe if I had driven it I would have found some positives, but I felt it was a waste of their time and mine.

But it's all relative. Somebody will like it, I'm sure. It's just not the car for me. Not even close. Should be good for current 460 owners. The volumes were pretty low for the last few years of the 460, and I suspect people looking to upgrade an older LS to a newer LS will choose the 460 over the 500. Should keep 460 values inflated for a while.
Old 05-29-18, 03:04 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

We've had 4 LS sedans in the past and my wife loved them all. She now drives an RX-350 and wanted to go back to the LS. After sitting in the new LS-500 she was done. Like others have said, she found nothing appealing to her in it. She liked the G90 a lot and almost purchased it. But, given that its a much larger car than her RX, she had second thoughts about driving such a large car on a daily basis. She looked at the new RX-350 and hated the exterior design. After further thought, she decided to keep her RX-350 for now. Lexus was about ultra smooth, ultra luxury vehicles. Their changes are pushing away their core customers. I'm sure both the new LS and new RX are fine cars, but not for us.
Old 08-09-18, 11:17 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by koolkat

So what gives? Lexus listened. They refined the interior, made the 500 sportier, which also meant reducing interior and exterior dimensions for it to drive less like a boat. Now, people are unhappy. We kind of, sort of, did this to ourselves with the incessant complaining, from both Lexus LS owners and from wannabes. Now we don’t like the final product? And don’t forget we don’t want to pay S Class, A8, BMW 7 money, yet we want a car that matches the S-Class? Let’s all get real about this ridiculous perception of reality. This proves true with everyone drooling over the less expensive Genesis G90, which is a car with no personality of its own. I don’t blame Lexus, as referenced to in some of the replies to my original post, for entering this polarizing niche in the market. If they made the car like an S-Class or 7-Series and charged us for it, we’d be outraged. Let’s be real. Has anyone seen the list of standard features on the LS? I priced the LS 500 I wanted with plenty of features at 85k; the same list of features on the S-Class was 115k. Lexus has placed itself into a niche market, but the value quotient for the quality car we’ve all come to love is undeniable.
Very well said! As a proud owner of the new LS 500 for more than three months now, I must say that the latest LS has been such a joy to drive and to ride in (which was definitely not always true with our previous LS 460 and LS 400. That said, Lexus has never intended to beat the S Class; perhaps to simply give it a nudge and run for the money. It has always been a value proposition and certainly offered a superior built quality for generations of LS owners. So my two cents for those who are considering whether to purchase (or upgrade to) the 5LS, the question is not whether this new LS beats the S Class. But rather, is it a better car than the previous LS's? Well after three months of enjoying our 5LS, both my wife and I definitely think so.
Old 08-11-18, 05:10 AM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Very compellingly point of view. This is clearly a departure from what the Lexus LS was. Clearly Lexus has been making their products more polarizing as of late. Perhaps the crys of consumers and car reviewers about the Lexus brand, especially the 460, being ‘boring’ and ‘for old people’ pushed Lexus into this new attempt to attract a different demographic of consumer. I actually like the understated, ‘old person’ look of flagship vehicles, but one would only need to scour the LS460 forum here in Club Lexus for five minutes to read the disparaging comments about how old the Lexus LS looked and that Lexus was missing the boat when it came to attracting the younger, sports-enthused consumer. Now, I’ve looked at plenty of S-Class cars before deciding on my 17 LS. S-Class is boring too. Powerful engine and great technology but also boring as heck too. So what gives? Lexus listened. They refined the interior, made the 500 sportier, which also meant reducing interior and exterior dimensions for it to drive less like a boat. Now, people are unhappy. We kind of, sort of, did this to ourselves with the incessant complaining, from both Lexus LS owners and from wannabes. Now we don’t like the final product? And don’t forget we don’t want to pay S Class, A8, BMW 7 money, yet we want a car that matches the S-Class? Let’s all get real about this ridiculous perception of reality. This proves true with everyone drooling over the less expensive Genesis G90, which is a car with no personality of its own. I don’t blame Lexus, as referenced to in some of the replies to my original post, for entering this polarizing niche in the market. If they made the car like an S-Class or 7-Series and charged us for it, we’d be outraged. Let’s be real. Has anyone seen the list of standard features on the LS? I priced the LS 500 I wanted with plenty of features at 85k; the same list of features on the S-Class was 115k. Lexus has placed itself into a niche market, but the value quotient for the quality car we’ve all come to love is undeniable. #Facts.
OK I see this point but add in dealer and factory incentives for both and in my case the Merc is coming out cheaper than the LS. I find that interesting.
Old 10-06-18, 12:47 PM
kghoshal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry. I had to chime in... my 2 cents...

I have read the numerous comments/impressions here about the new LS 500. I get it. Lexus made significant overhauls to the 4LS. Change is sometimes unsettling to people who are accustomed to something for so long. I actually appreciate Lexus tapping into their Japanese roots and not giving into the expectations of Americans to see every flagship reflect the ‘German 3.’ I test drove the 5LS and appreciate its performance. I’m 6’4” and I get the complaints about headroom, but by the same token I can appreciate the sporty dimensions of the interior. It hugs my larger body frame. It’s a preference but not for everyone I suppose. Aside from the obvious changes, it still feels like the old LS. Buttons are located in the same places, the ride is still buttery smooth, and the increased HP and torque is decent, especially for us 4LS owners. It reminds me of when I sat in a 2017 Toyota Tundra and compared it to my 2010 Toyota Tundra. Sure the newer model was shinier and upgraded, but the basic elements of the Tundra never changed and explains the great resale value. Same for the LS. Lexus hasn’t deviated much from what its always been know for.

I joined Club Lexus when I purchased my RX350 and continued following the many forums when I purchased my 2017 Lexus LS460. I find it interesting that so many of the comments on the various 5LS threads make unrealistic comparisons to the S-Class, 7-Series, and A8. Lexus is obviously building its own identity, and they have for a while - not something I can say for the Genesis G90. Can we own that?

When considering the purchase of my 4LS, I read numerous comments about how outdated and uninspiring the 4LS had become. So many allegedly loyal LS owners made comments that the Genesis G90 was a better car for a fraction of the cost and their position of the LS’s inferiority to the German 3. This coming from the Lexus enthusiast community - WTH? I am very content with my 4LS, and thrilled with my daily drives. Juxtapose my experience when buying my LS to that of the negative comments on this thread regarding the 5LS. I’d never buy the 4LS if I internalized the opinions, often biased and subjected opinions, of so many so-called Lexus enthusiasts. What ever happened to incredible posts of Lexus owners and their super mods and incredible upgrades to their cars? I learned so much from you guys. I learned so much from these posts, and they gave me much inspiration. Why don’t we take these 5LS posts back to this place? It was very fun.

Now here we stand with the 5LS and some of the same negative rhetoric of the 4LS. What gives? I joined CL because I’m an Lexus/Toyota enthusiast. I appreciate the good and the bad, and many of the comments here are valid. What car is perfect, anyway? I came to Lexus after owning a 2015 Audi A6 and a 2005 A6 prior to that one. Fast cars. Beautiful Audis but not without their MANY faults as well. I’ve owned Toyota vehicles for years (Tundra, Camry, RX, LS). I love the brand. I just find it incomprehensible how loyalists flip so easily. The brand has been evolving for quite sometime now. I like most changes and dislike fewer. The pros, for me at least, outweigh the cons. I sure don’t miss shelling out thousands on over-engineered German cars. Nothing wrong with anyone that does, but Lexus is my preference; hence, why I am a loyal Toyota/Lexus owner. If folks dislike the brand so much, join a forum of the brand you love. I appreciate opposing views, but the posts as of late are incredibly negative and often lack diverse and objective viewpoints. In fact, many comments now laud the 4LS over the 5LS but, no too long ago, the comments on the 4LS were harsh. Why the flip flop? Aren’t we loyal to our brand? Shouldn’t these forums reflect our loyalty?

I am committed to helping bring these forums back to a place where loyalists and can appreciate the perfections as well as the imperfections. We, specifically I, love my brand. So, how about we consider changing the rhetoric?

Just my opinion. Please don’t destroy me for sharing it 😂
Being the die-hard LS loyalist that I have been for nearly 20 years now (and & LS' later...) ... I will probably continue to stand being the LS at my next LS500 lease-end... despite the foibles of my 2018 LS500

Quick Reply: Are we still loyalists or what?