LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 05:00 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default First Impressions

First Impressions after 2 weeks and 1,300 miles.

This is coming off of a 2010 LS 460L w/AVS. Before that, A 2007 LS 460 SWB. Before that, a 2004 LS 430.

Current build – 2018 LS 500 equipped as follows:

EMINENT WHITE PEARL, PARCHMENT LEATHER WITH ARTWOOD ORGANIC TRIM

INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE, LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM+ A, MARK LEVINSON® AUDIO SYSTEM

ADAPTIVE VARIABLE AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM, 24-INCH HEADS-UP DISPLAY

ART WOOD ORGANIC PREMIUM WOOD TRIMS, PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR

HEATED WOOD- AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL, PREMIUM LED HEADLAMPS

19-INCH SPLIT-10-SPOKE WHEELS*

Fit & Finish

Typical Lexus LS quality. Everything is nearly perfect.

I have found only one blemish in my vehicle, and that is in the glass (plastic) in front of the nav screen. It isn’t visible to the naked eye, but when wearing polarized sunglasses, there is a small mark that resembles a bullet hole in the middle of the screen. It’s only visible on light-colored backgrounds, so much of the time you don’t even notice it. A small flaw, but I’m still deciding whether or not to complain about it. I don’t think it’s worth tearing the dash apart to replace it.

Handling

This car is very different than previous LS’s. It is definitely a stiffer ride than LS owners are used to. To give you an idea, the comfort mode in the LS 500 is roughly equivalent to the Sport mode in the 460 L. Honestly, I’m still on the fence as to whether or not I like the ride. On the highway and roads in good condition, it handles like dream. But on city streets that have been patched, potholed, etc. it’s just not making it for me. I’m toying with the idea of swapping out the run-flats for regular tires to soften the ride a bit. Also, my dealer set the tires at 38 psi instead of the recommended 36, so I’m going to drop them down tomorrow morning and see what the difference is.

Engine

For all of the comments on this board about the V6tt vs. a V8, I have to call shenanigans on that. The V6 in my 500 is actually smoother than the V8 in my 460L. And I have yet to experience any turbo-lag. One of the issues I always had with the 460 was the power lag when you stepped on the accelerator. In the 500, when you step on it, it goes. Lexus finally got it right.

And the other comments about the V6 being too small, that’s just a bunch of horsepucky. I live in the foothills and go up a fairly steep (1,000 ft elevation gain in ¾ of a mile) winding road every day, and not once have I felt the engine “straining”. In fact, the V6tt handles it better than the V8 in my 460L ever did. After a 10 hour day at work and a 75 minute drive home, the last 2 miles is downright fun to drive!

Transmission

For the most part, the 10-speed transmission is awesome, but it does feel like the lower gears need some fine-tuning. Specifically, when the car is coming to a stop and downshifting into 2nd and 1st gears, it can be a bit abrupt. Also, when starting from a stop, there can be a bit of a lurch going from 1st to 2nd and again, although less so, when going from 2nd to 3rd. I spoke to the service manager at the dealership about it yesterday, and he said that this was brought up on their last conference call with corporate and that they acknowledged the issue and were working on a firmware update, so I expect this to be corrected shortly. Other than that, the shifts are silky-smooth and almost imperceptible.

Interior comfort

Disclaimer, I am 6’7”, so some of the points I mention here won’t apply to most people. First off, I sat in an LS 500 F-Sport and an LS 500 w/panoramic roof at the dealership and couldn’t fit (headroom). I would encourage anyone who thinks the 500 is too small to make sure they sit in one without the panoramic roof. Even though it’s only .8 of an inch more headroom, it makes a world of difference, not just in the headroom, but in the overall feel of spaciousness (or confinement) in the car.

Entry/exit – Due to the lower roof and less-spacious interior, the drivers seat is more difficult to get into than previous LS’s. I have to bend my head to the left more getting in to this car than any previous LS. It’s also much more difficult to get out of, even with all the auto seat/steering column adjustments. I’ve spent a good bit of time trying to figure out how to get out of this car without pushing off on either the center console (which moves when I do) or the seat bottom, and I can’t do it.

Front seats - There is plenty of legroom and adequate headroom (for me) in the front. When I say adequate headroom, I mean even a half-inch less headroom would make it a non-starter for me (as with the panoramic roof). The seats themselves are fairly comfortable, but not as much as the 460 seats. I’m still experimenting with the adjustments. The heating/cooling in the seats is excellent – better than my 460L. The massage is actually good. Yeah, I thought it would be just a gimmicky feature too, but Lexus did a really good job on this. I have it turned up to maximum, and it hits problem areas I have in the lumbar and hip just right. Seriously, it’s not bad.

Rear seats – First off, this car is now a 4-seater, not a 5-seater like previous LS’s. Forget trying to put anything but a child seat in the middle. There is less legroom than in the 460L, but it is still adequate. At 6’7”, I can fit behind the driver’s seat with it set for me to drive. I’ve driven 4 adults to lunch twice, and nobody has complained about lack of room. The headroom is a different story. I have to slouch sitting in the rear seats, but none of my passengers (all under 6’1”) had any problems with headroom. The only other thing I would add here is that the rear seats are really comfortable, more so than the front seats.

Interior noise - This car is every bit as quiet as the 460, if not quieter. The "knocking" sound from the fuel injectors on the 460 is nowhere to be found. I don't think the standard tires are as quiet as the Serinitys I used to run on my 460L, but this car is a different beast with different tire requirements. All in all, you can't get much quieter than this car.

Electronics

OK, this one really surprised me. For all the whining and complaining about the touchpad I’ve read about, it’s just a non-issue, folks. Seriously, it’s not that bad. In fact, once you learn where everything is, it’s downright easy to use. For me, at least, it is far easier to use than the joystick standard Lexus had previously. Yes, I would rather have the touchscreen from my 460L or, forgive me for saying this, a Tesla, and yes, some of the menus could be laid out a little beter, but anyone who’s ever used a laptop with a touchpad (which is most of the business world) can use this with ease. The learning curve is simply learning how everything is laid out. But you have to do that with any new system, anyway.

As an example – adjusting the seat heat/cool levels, which I use all the time. Press the seat control button on the center console, which brings up the seat menu. Select the climate menu. Then click on the heat or cool icon and swipe up or down to raise or lower. It ain’t rocket science. I do it now without even looking at the screen. Now for the life of me, I don’t understand why Lexus did away with the recessed ***** in the center console. They were unobtrusive and far more convenient and easy to use. I think this came down to one of those give/take design decisions and Lexus decided that this was less important than whatever they needed the space for.

The point here is, you don’t have to keep drilling through menus, the way everyone implies. You can go to just about any menu directly using the voice recognition system – “Seat Menu” or “Audio Menu”. From there, it’s just click and go.

Safety Features

OK, I’m not into any of the self-driving stuff, so I’ve shut that all off, but will try it out in the coming weeks and report back on it.

HUD – The one item that I have used is the HUD. I almost didn’t order it at first, because I though it was just a gimmick, but now that I’ve used it, I’m really glad I ordered it. Specifically, seeing the speed limit right next to your speed is fantastic. How many times have you been driving in unknown territory only to ask yourself “Wait, what’s the speed limit here?”. This is a brilliant solution. Also, having the nav turn by turn instructions on the HUD when you’re trying to find a place vs. looking over at the nav screen is really handy. OK, I’m a HUD convert!

Mark Levinson Audio

As always, head and shoulders above the crowd. It doesn’t get any better than this.

Miscellaneous (random things I’ve observed, mostly because they annoy me)

Cruise control – I never use the dynamic cruise control, always the standard. While it works just as well as previous version, moving the controllers from the old stick behind the wheel to buttons on the wheel, means I have to lift my arm from the center console every time I want to adjust the settings, which I didn’t have to do with the stick control. A minor inconvenience, but noticeable.

Removal of configurable settings – I’ll never understand why someone would remove a user setting that they had in the previous version. Clearly, it was important enough for them to put it in originally, and it’s not like it costs them money to build it, it’s just code. Microsoft does the same thing with Windows, and I don’t understand the logic. Items I have noticed so far:
  • Mark Levinson Volume settings. In the 460, ML remembered the volume setting for each different audio source. In the 500, it only seems to remember the bluetooth separate from everything else. This is problematic in the the CD needs about twice the volume of the radio, so every time you switch from the CD back to the radio, you get blasted.
  • Can no longer set the number of blinks on lane changes. It is hard-coded to 3, which isn't enough. Previously, it was a user setting. (I’m told the dealer can set it with their diagnostic equipment).
  • Can no longer set the avg. highway speed to use for the nav system destination estimates. My 460 arrival times were always right on, barring traffic accidents. They’re now way off.
  • Can no longer set the navigation voice to mute when on a phone call. It’s been replaced with a nav mute button that you have manually set on each call. You’ve got to be kidding! What were you thinking, Lexus?
Windshield visibility – The sensor behind the rear-view mirror is too big, in my opinion. There have been several times I have been at 4-way stops and didn’t see the car to my right because they were completely obscured by the rear-view mirror and sensor behind it. This will probably only be an issue for taller folk.

Windshield visibility – Again, this is probably only an issue for taller people, but the low roofline really limits visibility. When I’m first in line at the stoplight, I have to duck my head just to see the overhead stoplights. Not an issue on multi-lane roads, where the lights are further away, or when there is a post light on the corner, but there are plenty of intersections out there where this is an issue for me.

B-Pillar material – For those of you that remember the issue with the B-pillar material wearing on the 460 from entering/exiting the car, the 500 isn’t using that rubberized material that was prone to chafing. I’m hoping the new material in the 500 won’t have that issue, but time will tell.

Center console storage – The new design makes for easier access to the storage compartment from either seat, but it comes at a price. Because it latches from the top, instead of being on rails like in the 460, the new latching mechanism has some float to it, so when you place/remove your arm on it, you feel the cover go up/down about 1mm or so. Minor, but noticeable.

The Mark Levinson emblem on the deck behind the rear seats constantly reflects in the rear window and at times resembles a car in the rear-view mirror. Annoying for something so unnecessary.

Summary

At this point, I would rate the LS 500 a solid 9 on a scale of 1 – 10. Overall, it’s a beautiful car, although I'm still not a spindle grill convert, that handles far better than its predecessor. The only things keeping me from giving it a 10 are the smaller interior space, the stiffer ride (for a luxury sedan), and some questionable, in my opinion, design decisions, which, knowing how the Japanese think, were probably made for valid reasons that I’m just not privy to.

I’m still trying to figure out exactly what market Lexus is aiming for with this car, though. If they didn’t have the LC 500, I could see going with a more sporty LS, but the LC already fills that niche, so I am really at a loss here. I would love to pick the brain of their “master designer” to see where his head is at. One thing is certain, Lexus has killed the LS market for the over 65 crowd. The car is simply too hard to get in and out of for most people that age.

That’s it for now. Will post a follow-up in a month or so after I’ve given it a really good shakedown.

Last edited by dsc07; 04-30-18 at 01:05 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by dsc07:
ALK (04-29-18), bjjones (05-02-18), franklexus (04-28-18), kellens (05-14-18), signdetres (04-29-18), TurboTodd (05-01-18) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-18, 07:09 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a good summation of the LS500. I'm coming off a three year lease of a 2015 RC F with Performance Package so even though I am well over 65 years old, entry and exit of the LS is easy. I like the ride of the F Sport, sort of reminds me of a soft version of the RC F. It is very different from the 2007 and 2012 LS460's I had previously. The dealer changed the 3 flash lane changer to 5 for me. Yes, it was owner changeable before. On the RC F, one had to use the windshield wiper control stick to change the number of flashes. I find the control of the heating, cooling to be a pain in the posterior and pretty much non intuitive. Buttons and switches of the past are my preference. That and the pad on the ES350 are much easier to control, at least for me.
Old 04-28-18, 07:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Really freat review. Great thoughts on the matter.
Old 04-28-18, 07:47 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs400jon
That's a good summation of the LS500. I'm coming off a three year lease of a 2015 RC F with Performance Package so even though I am well over 65 years old, entry and exit of the LS is easy. I like the ride of the F Sport, sort of reminds me of a soft version of the RC F. It is very different from the 2007 and 2012 LS460's I had previously. The dealer changed the 3 flash lane changer to 5 for me. Yes, it was owner changeable before. On the RC F, one had to use the windshield wiper control stick to change the number of flashes. I find the control of the heating, cooling to be a pain in the posterior and pretty much non intuitive. Buttons and switches of the past are my preference. That and the pad on the ES350 are much easier to control, at least for me.
Wow, easy? Really? Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?

Completely agree with you on the buttons and switches for frequently used features. I think they will figure it out over time, and go back that direction.
Old 04-28-18, 08:25 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Wow, easy? Really? Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?

Completely agree with you on the buttons and switches for frequently used features. I think they will figure it out over time, and go back that direction.
A squat 5' 8". But remember, I got in and out of a RC F for three years. The door length limited how wide the door could be opened. My other car was a GX460 which was great for entry/exit but no fun to drive.
Old 04-29-18, 05:16 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dsc07,
regarding run flats, I used run flats and traditional tires on the SC430. I like your comparison to the LS460 on sport mode. I think regular tires will make it like the LS460 on comfort mode. The Serenity is probably the best choice.

FYI, I stored the run flats in my garage and put them back on when I sold the car.
Old 04-30-18, 03:28 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review and congrats on your car.

So far I have sat in one twice and taken one for a short test drive. I am 5'10" and my grown sons are 6'2" and 6'3"

I think there are a lot of great features features on the LS 500, but things like the interior room, no pass thru, some of the negative reviews for the nav and commands like for the seat heaters have me on the fence.

Every time I have been in the car I am disappointed in how much less headroom and smaller the interior seems compared to my LS430. On one visit, my 6'3" son came with me and thought his head was almost touching the ceiling and this was in a car without the panoramic roof. Did this seem tight to you originally but become less of an issue as you drove the car more? In the back seat, it seems slightly elevated, which made the headroom less.

Also on my test drive, I floored the accelerator from a stop and to me it seemed like the car just sat there for about 1 second before moving.

Bottom line is that while I am leaning towards a LS 500, I want to wait to see how the ES is. While I know there is no comparison, I can't see spending $80,00 to $100,000 where there are so many compromises. Maybe if I have to compromise saving $40,000+ makes sense
Old 04-30-18, 08:16 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MJA1951
Great review and congrats on your car.

So far I have sat in one twice and taken one for a short test drive. I am 5'10" and my grown sons are 6'2" and 6'3"

I think there are a lot of great features features on the LS 500, but things like the interior room, no pass thru, some of the negative reviews for the nav and commands like for the seat heaters have me on the fence.

Every time I have been in the car I am disappointed in how much less headroom and smaller the interior seems compared to my LS430. On one visit, my 6'3" son came with me and thought his head was almost touching the ceiling and this was in a car without the panoramic roof. Did this seem tight to you originally but become less of an issue as you drove the car more? In the back seat, it seems slightly elevated, which made the headroom less.

Also on my test drive, I floored the accelerator from a stop and to me it seemed like the car just sat there for about 1 second before moving.
I hear you, MJA, I was in exactly the same place before I looked at the alternatives. And since you're comparing a 430 to the 500, you must feel downright claustrophobic sitting in the 500. When I went from the 430 to the 460, I had the same feelings, losing an inch+ of headroom, but wasn't long before I didn't even notice the difference. When I got in the 500 and lost another half-inch, it was intimidating. But I still have about a half-inch to spare, and when it comes right down to it, what does it matter if you have a half-inch to spare or 3 inches? You only need so much. As a matter-of-fact, driving home tonight I just realized that I no longer feel that the roof is right on top of me. As I said in my first post, my biggest issue with headroom is the lower roof line making it difficult to see some stoplights... but really, how often are you first in line at an intersection? It just isn't that frequent so it's not that big of a deal to me. AT 5'10", I don't think that will even be an issue for you.

As for the acceleration issue, this was actually my biggest complaint with the LS460. You must have been in "ECO" mode when you did it. That mode intentionally accelerates gradually to save fuel. I drive mostly in Comfort mode, and there is no lag in the acceleration that I have noticed. If you really want to see what it can do, try it in sport mode.

And don't put too much stock in all the nav reviews. As I stated earlier, after learning how everything is laid out, I find it easier to use than any of the other non-touchscreen solutions I've tried. I do most everything now without even looking. But I'm with you on the seat heat/cool controls. Why they did away with the recessed ***** in the previous LS's is beyond me.

The bottom line is. like anything else, you adapt and get used to the changes. This car is very different from your LS430 and will require some getting used to. For me, that adjustment only took about 2 weeks. I think it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a replacement for your LS430, I would suggest looking at a Genesis G90. In my opinion, it's not quite up to LS standards, but it's not far off, and you'll save about 15 grand. But if you want to stick with the LS line and top-quality everything, and this car fits your driving style and requirements, it's a great car.

Oh, and if you've been driving a 430 all these years, I promise you, you won't be able to go back to an ES. I'm reminded of that fact every time I take my LS in for service and get an ES loaner.

Good luck, and let us know which car you ultimately decide on.

Last edited by dsc07; 05-04-18 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 10:58 PM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had LS400, LS400, LS430, LS460, LS460.

Test drove LS500H: horrible ride. Jerky shifting, my upper body was moving forward and then backwards, as the car shifted. Compare that to the invisible shifting super smooth LS400/430/460 models.

Test drove LS500Sport: Great on smooth roads. On city streets it feels shaky, like nervous. Like the air ride provides too much feedback. The LS460 is like a battleship going forward, with 100 confidence. But somehow one knows the road below. The LS500S feels like the air ride is manufacturing too much high frequency feedback.

Test drove the GS350. Fun, nice and bounce spring ride, but it had a confidence wholesome read of the road. Liked it a lot, but felt small inside.

For now I think I'm keeping the LS460, maybe even put a Apple CarPlay in it. I have two years left on the lease, and getting out is expensive as the market for LS460 for now is not good.

I think Lexus will regret cancelling the LS460. Yes I do see a lot of old people driving them here in Miami, but oh oh I am 63 now...and I look old. I still feel 28, but people are opening doors for me. I think a lot of the oldies will drive the LS500 and walk over to the Caddy dealership, disoriented and confused. If I were a consultant to Lexus, I'd reintroduce the LS460 and let the 460 and 500 battle it out

I'd get another LS460 in a rush.

I'm also looking at the ES 2019. It has Hold button, a must after 50 years old. And Apple CarPlay, as I am an Apple/Lexus person, isn't everybody? I mean if you are gonna live in Miami you will have either a $ 5000 Honda or an LS, right? My secretaries both have $400 a month ES leases, my Lexus salesman sees me and says my ES will be $ 700 a month. I don't know how they got $400 a month. They won't tell me.
Old 05-01-18, 01:57 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

The ES can easily be leased for less than $400 a month. I recently saw it for $339 a month for 36 months with $3999 down. Probably the base model, but still cheap.
Old 05-01-18, 04:49 AM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bob04
The ES can easily be leased for less than $400 a month. I recently saw it for $339 a month for 36 months with $3999 down. Probably the base model, but still cheap.
They got it no money down. Base model.
Old 05-01-18, 09:44 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

As for the acceleration issue, this was actually my biggest complaint with the LS460. You must have been in "ECO" mode when you did it. That mode intentionally accelerates gradually to save fuel. I drive mostly in Comfort mode, and there is no lag in the acceleration that I have noticed. If you really want to see what it can do, try it in sport mode.
MJ, I'm going to retract my previous statement on the acceleration lag. I took what you said to heart and did some testing on the way into the office this morning. There is some slight, albeit noticeable lag when punching it at high speeds. I guess it's what they call "turbo lag". (This is my first turbo experience, so I'm just assuming) I didn't notice it when accelerating from low speeds, like getting on the freeway, but when I was doing 70 on the freeway and punched it up to 85, there was a slight hesitation before the power kicked in. Nothing like a full second, maybe 1/3 of a second. But a far cry from the lag that my 460 had. For my style of driving, it's barely noticeable. In fact, a little later on I juiced it to get around a yahoo in front of me and didn't even notice the lag. So yeah, there's a little something there, and I'm sure all the Jimmy Johnson and Mario Andretti wannabes would complain about it, but it's not an issue for me.

Last edited by dsc07; 05-04-18 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 10:28 AM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

MJ, I'm going to retract my previous statement on the acceleration lag. I took what you said to heart and did some testing on the way into the office this morning. There is some slight, albeit noticeable lag when punching it at high speeds. I guess it's what they call "turbo lag". (This is my first turbo experience, so I'm just assuming) I didn't notice it when accelerating from low speeds, like getting on the freeway, but when I was doing 70 on the freeway and punched it up to 85, there was a slight hesitation before the power kicked in. Nothing like a full second, maybe 1/3 of a second or a half at the most. But a far cry from the lag that my 460 had. For my style of driving, it's barely noticeable. In fact, a little later on I juiced it to get around a yahoo in front of me and didn't even notice the lag. So yeah, there's a little something there, and I'm sure all the Jimmy Johnson and Mario Andretti wannabes would complain about it, but it's not an issue for me.
I found the 430 had a long V8 lag, the 460 a bit better, and the 500 quite short (and it should be as it is a V6)
Old 05-01-18, 12:15 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mgauss7
I found the 430 had a long V8 lag, the 460 a bit better, and the 500 quite short (and it should be as it is a V6)
Agreed. My experience as well.
Old 05-01-18, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mgauss7
I have had LS400, LS400, LS430, LS460, LS460.

Test drove LS500H: horrible ride. Jerky shifting, my upper body was moving forward and then backwards, as the car shifted. Compare that to the invisible shifting super smooth LS400/430/460 models.

Test drove LS500Sport: Great on smooth roads. On city streets it feels shaky, like nervous. Like the air ride provides too much feedback. The LS460 is like a battleship going forward, with 100 confidence. But somehow one knows the road below. The LS500S feels like the air ride is manufacturing too much high frequency feedback.
Why have you not driven an ordinary non F Sport LS500 with the air suspension?!? The F Sport is going to feel tauter and jitterier for sure.

Quick Reply: First Impressions