LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 12:19 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

So I recently went back and reviewed the power presentation shown to North American press at skywalker ranch from last year. And I didn’t see any where in the power point where Lexus College mentioned the LS will be offered in one body configuration. It seems odd that Lexus would make a billion investment inferior to the established competition right out the gate. I have to wonder if they are planning on launching a long wheel base version LS in the coming months. It would be simply adding 3-4 more inches of room the back seat. The LS V8 hasn’t shown off yet, but I have heard rumors they plan to launching the engine in LC-F. I wonder if they will sell that motor in the LS. I also see they mentioned their main target audience makes $250k and is head of house hold. They also claim their consumer base is late 40s to early 50.

Last edited by highrev6; 04-03-18 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 02:06 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And where is your source for this info?
You alleged you had inside information, you should know this?!? It's private information from Lexus North American Division and the Atlanta sales statistics. Local dealer open that they have sold only 5 LS500 since the new model. They sell 15-20 vehilcles/day on average.

While at it, where is your source for misinformation about the inability to buy the similarly equipped car as 8spd pointed out one could? We get owner bias, but please keep opinions separate from facts.

Last edited by kellens; 04-02-18 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 03:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
You alleged you had inside information, you should know this?!? It's private information from Lexus North American Division and the Atlanta sales statistics. Local dealer open that they have sold only 5 LS500 since the new model. They sell 15-20 vehilcles/day on average.

While at it, where is your source for misinformation about the inability to buy the similarly equipped car as 8spd pointed out one could? We get owner bias, but please keep opinions separate from facts.
Again, you're looking at numbers without connect. How many LS500s have they gotten since the new model came out? My dealer has only sold about 5, but they've only gotten about 5.

Its been out a month or so, if every dealer in the US sells 5 in that time, thats over Lexus' monthly sales projections for the car. Its never going to be a high selling car.

I posted no misinformation, I maintain that interior in the 760 cannot be put into a 740, go look at them yourself. Pricewise the only option on his build was the interior and you still have a car with 100 less HP and less equipment.

What owner bias? I do not own an LS500. In fact, I chose to buy a 2017 LS460L instead of an LS500, and I posted some very strong criticisms of the car and why I chose to do that. I would suggest that you examine your own bias.
Old 04-02-18, 03:25 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Again, you're looking at numbers without connect. How many LS500s have they gotten since the new model came out? My dealer has only sold about 5, but they've only gotten about 5.

Its been out a month or so, if every dealer in the US sells 5 in that time, thats over Lexus' monthly sales projections for the car. Its never going to be a high selling car.

I posted no misinformation, I maintain that interior in the 760 cannot be put into a 740, go look at them yourself. Pricewise the only option on his build was the interior and you still have a car with 100 less HP and less equipment.

What owner bias? I do not own an LS500. In fact, I chose to buy a 2017 LS460L instead of an LS500, and I posted some very strong criticisms of the car and why I chose to do that. I would suggest that you examine your own bias.
Not factual, the car is not selling well, even compared to the 2017 LS based on numbers from last year. Check your sources and run your own numbers. 5 for the largest retailer in Atlanta, and numbers from NA Lexus support it. Doesn't take away from your own opinions of the car though. It's just not a hit!

You had posted misinformation about inability to buy a similarly equipped BMW or Mercedes unless it was used as the other poster pointed out. One can. Agree with you the interior of the LS is nice. Misses many other marks for a similarly priced competitor, which again based on number, have and are outperforming it in vehicles sold and leased, despite the reliability issues.
Old 04-02-18, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kellens
You had posted misinformation about inability to buy a similarly equipped BMW or Mercedes unless it was used as the other poster pointed out. One can..
I did not. A similarly equipped BMW or Mercedes will cost $20-30k more. Thats a fact. The other poster posted a 740 with ONLY interior options, nothing else. That car is not comparable to an LS500.
Old 04-02-18, 09:55 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not. A similarly equipped BMW or Mercedes will cost $20-30k more. Thats a fact. The other poster posted a 740 with ONLY interior options, nothing else. That car is not comparable to an LS500.
I haven't posted here for several years, but I found it compelling to say a few things now. I use to be a HUGE LS fan until I purchased the 2014 S550 (new generation). I love the looks and the tech in this car and I never had a problem with it. I was seriously thinking of purchasing the new generation (supposedly) LS500. However, after I saw the specs and compared apples with apples, I had no interest in buying the LS500. Instead I went with the new MB S450. I ordered it with 4 Matic (AWD), the premium package (lots of goodies here), the advanced (and I mean advanced) Driver Assistance package, Warmth and Comfort package (this includes power outboard rear seats and other goodies), Night View Assist Plus, Head-Up-Display, wheel locks, Cabin Atomizer fragrance system. The standard features are too numerous to mention here but it does include Apple Car Play, etc., etc. The 3.0 liter turbo engine has more than enough horsepower going from zero to 60 in just over 5 seconds. And the fuel economy is rated at 18 city and 28 highway for the 4 Matic. I get about 28-29 on my 2014 S550 on the highway and it's rated at 25. So, I should have no trouble getting 30-31 in the S450. I am paying about $94K for all this. The LS500 would probably cost about $100K to get all the features available. And, the problem is I can't even get all the features that I ordered on the S450. Also I hate that touchpad/touch screen combo on the LS500. The rear seat leg room also sucks on the LS500. I also don't care much about the front grill.
Old 04-02-18, 11:13 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I haven't posted here for several years, but I found it compelling to say a few things now. I use to be a HUGE LS fan until I purchased the 2014 S550 (new generation). I love the looks and the tech in this car and I never had a problem with it. I was seriously thinking of purchasing the new generation (supposedly) LS500. However, after I saw the specs and compared apples with apples, I had no interest in buying the LS500. Instead I went with the new MB S450. I ordered it with 4 Matic (AWD), the premium package (lots of goodies here), the advanced (and I mean advanced) Driver Assistance package, Warmth and Comfort package (this includes power outboard rear seats and other goodies), Night View Assist Plus, Head-Up-Display, wheel locks, Cabin Atomizer fragrance system. The standard features are too numerous to mention here but it does include Apple Car Play, etc., etc. The 3.0 liter turbo engine has more than enough horsepower going from zero to 60 in just over 5 seconds. And the fuel economy is rated at 18 city and 28 highway for the 4 Matic. I get about 28-29 on my 2014 S550 on the highway and it's rated at 25. So, I should have no trouble getting 30-31 in the S450. I am paying about $94K for all this. The LS500 would probably cost about $100K to get all the features available. And, the problem is I can't even get all the features that I ordered on the S450. Also I hate that touchpad/touch screen combo on the LS500. The rear seat leg room also sucks on the LS500. I also don't care much about the front grill.
That pencils out at $107K, not 94K. Add $6,400 for premium sound and another $5,000 for premium leather and paint, and you're up to $120 Grand. My similarly equipped LS500 was only $89 grand.

MSRP $92,900*

Print Email

Exterior

Color: Emerald Green Metallic Wheels: 18-inch twin 5-spoke

Interior

Color: Black leather Trim: Black Poplar wood$7,730

Options

Warmth & Comfort Package
  • Heated and ventilated rear seats
  • Heated rear seats PLUS
  • Heated armrests
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Power outboard rear seats with memory
$2,600

Premium Package
  • Active multicontour front seats with massage
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Heated front seats PLUS
  • KEYLESS-GO
  • HANDS-FREE ACCESS
  • Active Parking Assist
  • Surround View System
  • Power rear-side window sunblinds
$5,000

Power outboard rear seats with memory

Included with packageHeated steering wheel

Included with package

Accessories

Interior
Cabin atomizer fragrances

$130

Entertainment & Convenience

$990

Key Standard Features

• COMAND system with touchpad controller
  • 12.3-inch high-resolution central display
  • FrontBass system
  • Burmester Surround Sound system
  • COMAND hard-drive navigation
  • 3 years of navigation map updates
  • Dual USB audio ports
  • Inductive wireless charging with NFC pairing
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Android Auto
  • Hands-free Bluetooth interface
  • Heated 16-way power front seats with memory
  • Energizing Comfort Control
  • KEYLESS-START
  • Electronic trunk closer
  • Dual-zone automatic climate control
  • Air Balance cabin fragrance system
  • 64-color/3-zone LED ambient lighting
  • Illuminated door sills
  • Power rear-window sunshade
  • Soft-close doors

Options

Head-Up Display

$990

Performance & Safety

$4,660

Key Standard Features

• 3.0L V6 biturbo engine
  • ECO Start/Stop system
  • 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission
  • 4MATIC all-wheel drive
  • AIRMATIC suspension
  • Torque Vectoring Brake
  • Active Brake Assist
  • ATTENTION ASSIST
  • PRE-SAFE
  • Intelligent Light System with Ultra Wide Beam headlamps
  • Adaptive Highbeam Assist
  • MAGIC VISION CONTROL
  • Rearview camera

Options

Driver Assistance Package
  • Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC
  • Active Steering Assist
  • Evasive Steering Assist
  • Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function
  • Active Emergency Stop Assist
  • Active Speed Limit Assist
  • Active Lane Keeping Assist
  • Active Blind Spot Assist
  • Active Lane Change Assist
  • PRE-SAFE PLUS
  • Route-based Speed Adaptation
$2,250

Night View Assist PLUS

$2,260

Wheel locks

$150

Other Charges

Transportation Charge$995

Total Build

$107,275 or $1,251/mo* estimated lease
Old 04-02-18, 11:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, I also shopped the S450 and equipped how I want it it’s about a $107k car, comparable LS500 is about $90-91k.
Old 04-03-18, 03:00 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Because I’m not way off. There are numerous material and finish differences between the interior you can get in the 740or even the 750 and the interior in the 760. It’s not about features it’s about the finish of the interior. Go sit in them and see for yourself.

Then theres features you you can get in the LS500and the 750 you can’t even get on the 740, such as the advanced LED lighting upgrade, and the fact that a 740has nearly 100 hp less than an LS.

Apples to apples, the 7 Series is a considerably more expensive car than the LS. If you want to buy a stripped out 7 perhaps not, but that’s not apples to apples.
If you sit in the car in the garage with interior leather the main priority, perhaps only then you're not way off, but to equip the LS500 to the S Class or 740 would require the tech be pulled and brought up to current standards, not to mention the ride isolation, engagement without feeling tire slap of the run flat difference. To get a REAL comparable LS, not just some fit and finish interior items, the LS would be more expensive and require some custom work beyond factory delivered, if doable at all.

I'm sympathetic on the boards the confusion with fact and option once owner/buyer bias is factored in, but if reliability didn't matter, the LS doesn't hold much value to it's competition. This is reflected greatest in how few of these vehicles factually have sold, as well as reviews, and in my opinion testing all the cars mentioned as basis of opinion of the 3. That said, if LS is the perfect car for you, go buy one, my hope is they make some significant improvements to the LS500 ASAP. It's a larger, dolled-up interior GS with 7+ year old tech to most standards I looked at on a couple drives in the standard and air suspension models. Too many compromises which reflects the title of topic of this thread.

Last edited by kellens; 04-03-18 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 05:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Obviously you can’t swap technology from one vehicle to another, but you certainly can equip two vehicles similarly and compare even though they have differences in technology. If you prefer the technology in a different car then go buy that car, what’s the purpose of posting the same complaint over and over and over again?

The Lexus tech really doesn’t bother me, clearly as what I have is behind even the LS500. Different people have different priorities. I see the differences and where competitors are more advanced, it’s juat not important enough to me to leave the brand. Seeing that lots of people buy Lexus vehicles despite this shortcoming I’m not alone. If it’s that important to you just go buy something else.

You keep talking about owner bias, as I said I don’t own the car we’re discussing and I have no plans to purchase one and it likely wouldn’t be what I would purchase in the segment today if I were looking. So, no bias here the broken record just gets old.
Old 04-03-18, 07:04 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dsc07
That pencils out at $107K, not 94K. Add $6,400 for premium sound and another $5,000 for premium leather and paint, and you're up to $120 Grand. My similarly equipped LS500 was only $89 grand.

MSRP $92,900*

Print Email

Exterior

Color: Emerald Green Metallic Wheels: 18-inch twin 5-spoke

Interior

Color: Black leather Trim: Black Poplar wood$7,730

Options

Warmth & Comfort Package
  • Heated and ventilated rear seats
  • Heated rear seats PLUS
  • Heated armrests
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Power outboard rear seats with memory
$2,600

Premium Package
  • Active multicontour front seats with massage
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Heated front seats PLUS
  • KEYLESS-GO
  • HANDS-FREE ACCESS
  • Active Parking Assist
  • Surround View System
  • Power rear-side window sunblinds
$5,000

Power outboard rear seats with memory

Included with packageHeated steering wheel

Included with package

Accessories

Interior
Cabin atomizer fragrances

$130

Entertainment & Convenience

$990

Key Standard Features

• COMAND system with touchpad controller
  • 12.3-inch high-resolution central display
  • FrontBass system
  • Burmester Surround Sound system
  • COMAND hard-drive navigation
  • 3 years of navigation map updates
  • Dual USB audio ports
  • Inductive wireless charging with NFC pairing
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Android Auto
  • Hands-free Bluetooth interface
  • Heated 16-way power front seats with memory
  • Energizing Comfort Control
  • KEYLESS-START
  • Electronic trunk closer
  • Dual-zone automatic climate control
  • Air Balance cabin fragrance system
  • 64-color/3-zone LED ambient lighting
  • Illuminated door sills
  • Power rear-window sunshade
  • Soft-close doors

Options

Head-Up Display

$990

Performance & Safety

$4,660

Key Standard Features

• 3.0L V6 biturbo engine
  • ECO Start/Stop system
  • 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission
  • 4MATIC all-wheel drive
  • AIRMATIC suspension
  • Torque Vectoring Brake
  • Active Brake Assist
  • ATTENTION ASSIST
  • PRE-SAFE
  • Intelligent Light System with Ultra Wide Beam headlamps
  • Adaptive Highbeam Assist
  • MAGIC VISION CONTROL
  • Rearview camera

Options

Driver Assistance Package
  • Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC
  • Active Steering Assist
  • Evasive Steering Assist
  • Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function
  • Active Emergency Stop Assist
  • Active Speed Limit Assist
  • Active Lane Keeping Assist
  • Active Blind Spot Assist
  • Active Lane Change Assist
  • PRE-SAFE PLUS
  • Route-based Speed Adaptation
$2,250

Night View Assist PLUS

$2,260

Wheel locks

$150

Other Charges

Transportation Charge$995

Total Build

$107,275 or $1,251/mo* estimated lease
You're talking about MSRP at exactly $107,275 (includes destination charge). The price that I'm paying is $94,160 with all the options I specified. I don't give a hoot about 3D Bermester and I got the standard leather. The dealer game me a very nice deal I believe.
Old 04-03-18, 07:09 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Correct, I also shopped the S450 and equipped how I want it it’s about a $107k car, comparable LS500 is about $90-91k.
See my reply to dsc07.
Old 04-03-18, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
You're talking about MSRP at exactly $107,275 (includes destination charge). The price that I'm paying is $94,160 with all the options I specified. I don't give a hoot about 3D Bermester and I got the standard leather. The dealer game me a very nice deal I believe.
Well of course, you can/will be able to get the same sort of discount on the LS500 too. You have to compare MSRP to MSRP, you can't say "well I'm paying X and compared to the MSRP of the other car this is a better deal". Nobody is paying MSRP for the other car either.
Old 04-03-18, 07:55 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Well of course, you can/will be able to get the same sort of discount on the LS500 too. You have to compare MSRP to MSRP, you can't say "well I'm paying X and compared to the MSRP of the other car this is a better deal". Nobody is paying MSRP for the other car either.
I'll be able to get $13K off the MSRP for the LS500? I doubt it but it doesn't matter. The LS does not have some of the features, I ordered and which are very important to me, that the S450 has. For example, the auto pilot (or what ever you want to call it) on the S450 has it all over the LS500. What about the active lane change assist? Plus, as I indicated above, I hate that touchpad/touchscreen on the LS500. It is very distracting when driving and difficult to use. There are others. I also like the looks of the of the S450 better. It's too bad because the LS was SO awesome until about 2011 or so. Now it is no match for the S Class.
Old 04-03-18, 07:56 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Lexus sold 1008 LS500’s in the month of March ‘18. Same time last year they only were able to move 370 LS460’s

still waiting on sales reports of the 7er A8, and G90 to release. But I suspect it outsold the A8 and 7er based on their trending low sales from January and February.

Quick Reply: This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS