LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 09:35 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Go drive a $90,000 7 series or S Class and drive a $90,000 LS500 and tell me which car you like best. The S Class would have to be used. Comparing it to a $180,000 V12 M760i makes no sense.
You can get that same exact interior shown in the video in a BMW 740i that comes in at under $100,000 MSRP. BMW also offers fairly aggressive discounts in my experience.

For as much as I hated the Predator mouth grill, finally Lexus has an exterior design that I actually like with the LS. The Infotainment system though, and the beeping in reverse gear has really gotta go.
Old 03-28-18, 10:19 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
You are wise grasshopper.....

But Toyota can do anything...I'm frustrated at their choice of positioning and offerings.
Maybe I just want them to do "M" and "AMG" and "S" and kick the Euro offerings in the azz.
Heck do "Luxury" !!

They produce halo offerings like the LFA - bring out the LC, make a branding statement with the "Spindle" (which i love btw..at least in the new models..)

They race across a vast spectrum from NASCAR to Baja to Africa, Formula races Le Mans...the list is endless.
Yet they choose LEXUS to be ... something else...reliable / dependable ....sigh

Lexus is in the business of making lots of profits. They are after all a Japanese company and the executives management run the company on a super efficient business model. Yes Toyota has billions sitting in the bank. But they aren’t looking to try and beat the Germans by offering various engine options and really cool features that over complicated just to wow us consumers. Japanese chief engineers are usually trying to engineer what they think a consumer needs vs what they think a consumer wants. Toyota is a very profitable company and their focus is volume and quality. I feel like the Germans are always trying to one up their direct competition, the Japanese do not think that way.
Old 03-29-18, 08:51 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe a bit off topic - but the feeling for the new BMW is strong..
Makes the Luxury features of the LS500 look like...entry level.
I know $180k is a different league - but it showcases just how far Lexus has fallen from competing at the top levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fg5S3cFwzKI
don't compare it to the 760ix compare it to the 740ix a 6 cylinder with turbo just like the LS500
almost the same price and the BMW has many and much more I look and drove both
although I am lexus buyer and have had BMW before and swore I never go back the 2018 7 series has much more
just try to get in and out off the rear seat in both
Old 03-29-18, 04:01 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
don't compare it to the 760ix compare it to the 740ix a 6 cylinder with turbo just like the LS500
almost the same price and the BMW has many and much more I look and drove both
although I am lexus buyer and have had BMW before and swore I never go back the 2018 7 series has much more
just try to get in and out off the rear seat in both

Well - I just drove the 2018 LS and was underwhelmed.
The ONLY thing keeping me connected is the service and reliability ... but frankly - I do not know if that is enough.
BMW / MB / AUDI - heck everyone has really stepped up the service experience.

Lexus offers stuff squarely in the middle with reliability.
(Dang it - This is their FLAGSHIP - and all they have is a blown V-6 with barley 400hp?)

Drive an M5 - you will swoon....and yeah - the $$ is comparable...Base on the M5 is $102k - I drove an Luc LS 500 for the exact same amount - No comparison.

Last edited by xfea; 03-29-18 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by 8spd
You can get that same exact interior shown in the video in a BMW 740i that comes in at under $100,000 MSRP. BMW also offers fairly aggressive discounts in my experience.

For as much as I hated the Predator mouth grill, finally Lexus has an exterior design that I actually like with the LS. The Infotainment system though, and the beeping in reverse gear has really gotta go.
I’ve just shopped the 7 Series, you cannot lol. That is a BMW Individual interior and you cannot touch that for less than $130k.

You can can get the Napa interior which has some of those elements around 100k in the 740, but not that interior and at $100k the LS500 is way better equipped.

The 740i has nowhere near the performance of the LS500 either.
Old 03-29-18, 04:11 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

This is something I hear a lot. I've been a Lexus owner for 20 years, the bottom line is that this statement isn't actually true. Lexus has never been at the same level as BMW and Mercedes, even with the LS, and BMW and Mercedes have always had dramatically more expensive versions of the 7 and S Class that the LS never held a candle to. That is no different today than it was in 1998 or in 1989. What Lexus has always excelled at is providing a very well built car that is extremely refined at a good value with excellent reliability and customer service. There was a V12 7 series and a V12 S Class in the 90s too. The LS was always smaller than its rivals, less equipped with less features, only one engine option vs multiple options, far less customizability, but it was a great car at a great value.

Go drive a $90,000 7 series or S Class and drive a $90,000 LS500 and tell me which car you like best. The S Class would have to be used. Comparing it to a $180,000 V12 M760i makes no sense.

If anything, they compete better on features and style now than they ever did before.

Go drive a $90,000 7 series or S Class and drive a $90,000 LS500 and tell me which car you like best

OK - maybe not exactly - I drove a 102K LS and a base M5

Same sticker - BMW is AMAZING

And frankly they have the same cabin feel - the new LS just doesn't fit in the large Lux category anymore.
Old 03-29-18, 04:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Go drive a $90,000 7 series or S Class and drive a $90,000 LS500 and tell me which car you like best

OK - maybe not exactly - I drove a 102K LS and a base M5
Same sticker - BMW is AMAZING
Totally different cars. Not comparable even a little bit. I would never even bother driving an M5 because it isnt a car I would ever consider buying, and no joke i would rather have a base 7 Series.
Old 03-29-18, 04:32 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Cool

Well - I just drove the 2018 LS and was underwhelmed.
The ONLY thing keeping me connected is the service and reliability ... but frankly - I do not know if that is enough.
BMW / MB / AUDI - heck everyone has really stepped up the service experience.

Lexus offers stuff squarely in the middle with reliability.
(Dang it - This is their FLAGSHIP - and all they have is a blown V-6 with barley 400hp?)

Drive an M5 - you will swoon....and yeah - the $$ is comparable...Base on the M5 is $102k - I drove an Luc LS 500 for the exact same amount - No comparison.

Hold your breath, Lexus is secretly working on bringing a all new twin turbo V8 to replace the retiring and now ancient UZ V8 which has served in a multitude of Toyota and Lexus models since 2006. I’m positively sure they will offer it in a variant of the LS once the engine launches in a year or so. Lexus always takes their time when it comes to engineering new car components especially when it comes to engines and transmissions. They typically run a 1.5 million miles on their engines in test cycles before they release it in a production car. That’s why their engines are known to reach 900k miles without being rebuilt. Your lucky to get 250k out of a BMW V8 without replacing the entire motor.

The new M5 is awesome looking sedan, back seat is ridiculously small couldn’t even sit behind myself without my knees brushing the front seats because of the overbearing seat back design.

Just to to be fair the BMW 740i series only has a measly 320 hp from a blown i6 for the same amount of money. No comparison.

Last edited by highrev6; 03-29-18 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 07:50 PM
8spd
Rookie

I’ve just shopped the 7 Series, you cannot lol. That is a BMW Individual interior and you cannot touch that for less than $130k.

You can can get the Napa interior which has some of those elements around 100k in the 740, but not that interior and at $100k the LS500 is way better equipped.

The 740i has nowhere near the performance of the LS500 either.
Well, what can I say? Learn more about the product that you are buying and try not to get ripped off? Or perhaps stop spreading misinformation?

The follow build includes that Individual Full Merino Leather and the power massaging rear seat with tablet control. Does not include the rear seat entertainment screens, which I find pointless when you already have the tablet, but add $2,700 on top if you must. Don't forget to factor in the aggressive BMW discount.

By the way, the interior of the M760i shown in the video actually is not the most optioned configuration. It does not have the fold down footrest behind the front passenger seat, which unfortunately removes lumbar support on the front passenger seat. Then there is the two seat configuration with the fold out tables.

Last edited by 8spd; 03-30-18 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-18, 06:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Find a car optioned like that though. If you’re not going to custom order a car, and you don’t want only interior options (which is all you’ve chosen) that car is going to be way more money than that. Without adding the rear screens either the interior is not the same as the one shown above, and when you sit in both cars the interior you optioned in the 740 is NOT the same as the one in that 760, which I have also seen and spent time inside in person.

That car is like I said less equipped and far less performance than an LS500 at that price. Yes BMW has big discounts but so does/will Lexus.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-30-18 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 12:08 PM
8spd
Rookie

Find a car optioned like that though. If you’re not going to custom order a car, and you don’t want only interior options (which is all you’ve chosen) that car is going to be way more money than that. Without adding the rear screens either the interior is not the same as the one shown above, and when you sit in both cars the interior you optioned in the 740 is NOT the same as the one in that 760, which I have also seen and spent time inside in person.
Blah blah blah. Why can't you just admit that you were way off with your 130k remark?

Please be specific and point out the differences, besides the already mentioned rear entertainment screens.
Old 03-30-18, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Blah blah blah. Why can't you just admit that you were way off with your 130k remark?

Please be specific and point out the differences, besides the already mentioned rear entertainment screens.
Because I’m not way off. There are numerous material and finish differences between the interior you can get in the 740or even the 750 and the interior in the 760. It’s not about features it’s about the finish of the interior. Go sit in them and see for yourself.

Then theres features you you can get in the LS500and the 750 you can’t even get on the 740, such as the advanced LED lighting upgrade, and the fact that a 740has nearly 100 hp less than an LS.

Apples to apples, the 7 Series is a considerably more expensive car than the LS. If you want to buy a stripped out 7 perhaps not, but that’s not apples to apples.
Old 04-02-18, 08:56 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
was that 10 years of development what they achieved is a really nice car
unacceptable on three fronts
engine/efficiency in real world driving

infotainment is a joke

interior as said many times is too small relative to what their customer base desire/has
dont know what their thinking besides competing with bmw in handling and selling more cars in asia/pacific
if so it will be a success for them
i am baffled and happen to like the new look, the interior design, nice but not ground breaking
the seats, and the armrests are brilliant
I definitely can't clock the LS on it's looks, but you have some valid points. The infotainment is back in the flip phone era, and with ride and 'road engagement' to go after more youthful buyer? A mystery. Not alone in my thoughts, they're not selling nor leasing well. The LS in many ways is ready for a solid refresh already. I have always Loved Lexus and the LS, was holding out to buy next car for the fleet until I saw this one, but they kinda didn't finish this project. The new RAV4 is more up to date. But then again, they sell 400,000 of them. Hopeful they will make large adjustments more quickly in this version of the LS. As it is, it is which compromises are you willing to deal with.
Old 04-02-18, 09:02 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, what can I say? Learn more about the product that you are buying and try not to get ripped off? Or perhaps stop spreading misinformation?

The follow build includes that Individual Full Merino Leather and the power massaging rear seat with tablet control. Does not include the rear seat entertainment screens, which I find pointless when you already have the tablet, but add $2,700 on top if you must. Don't forget to factor in the aggressive BMW discount.

By the way, the interior of the M760i shown in the video actually is not the most optioned configuration. It does not have the fold down footrest behind the front passenger seat, which unfortunately removes lumbar support on the front passenger seat. Then there is the two seat configuration with the fold out tables.

Sound points, I have to agree. That would blow the LS out of the water sadly in most every way, except fear factor of out of warranty repairs, and reliability for me. Predictability has to hold value. I have spent too much time in the German Auto's dealerships. To each their own.
Old 04-02-18, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kellens
Not alone in my thoughts, they're not selling nor leasing well.
And where is your source for this info?

Quick Reply: This is another reason why Luxury car buyers might not choose LS