LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Scathing Review LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by shinonclub
Let's see, I bought my LS 500 in early May. It's been three months and almost 5000 miles, but since I set up the auto temp control on the seats before I even left the dealership exit lounge, I have not needed to touch the controls AT ALL. That's why the buttons are removed, folks, because the seats are now auto cooled or heated based on the temperature in the car and of the seats. I'm sure someone who has decided not to upgrade to the new LS 500 will forever complain about not having the buttons and ***** to control the seats' temperature and the much more efficient and more powerful fans that work on these seats in the LS 500. But in the meantime, I will enjoy the comfortable seats without ever needed to touch the controls.
I think you'e looking at it through rose colored glasses here.

There is no reasonable argument that Lexus was smart to remove the heated/cooled seat controls. My LS460 has climate concierge also and has the auto linked heated/cooled seats. I actually don't like the AUTO function for the seats, and prefer to control them myself. I only like the seats on HIGH cool, or HIGH heat, or off. So for me, I would be in the menus on a regular basis trying to control the seat temp and it would bother me.

Would that change keep me from buying an LS500 if I decided it was the car that I wanted? No...but the car would be a better car if it had typically accessible controls like every other car.
Old 08-05-18, 02:23 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Let's see, I bought my LS 500 in early May. It's been three months and almost 5000 miles, but since I set up the auto temp control on the seats before I even left the dealership exit lounge, I have not needed to touch the controls AT ALL. That's why the buttons are removed, folks, because the seats are now auto cooled or heated based on the temperature in the car and of the seats. I'm sure someone who has decided not to upgrade to the new LS 500 will forever complain about not having the buttons and ***** to control the seats' temperature and the much more efficient and more powerful fans that work on these seats in the LS 500. But in the meantime, I will enjoy the comfortable seats without ever needed to touch the controls.
Agree completely. Even on days of 100+ degree weather when I get in the car after being parked in the sun all morning, I haven't as of yet needed to adjust the seat temperature. In fact, the only time I've ever had to use the remote touch pad to adjust anything in the seats is to turn on the massage feature. The new Climate Concierge is a thing of beauty. It's light years ahead of the what the LS 460 had, yet none of the reviewers even mention it. Instead, they choose to whine about it taking 3 clicks to adjust the seat temperature.

I also find it quite amusing that just about everyone on this board who incessantly whines about what's wrong with this car, doesn't actually own one. Their complaints seem to be coming either from a single test drive or something that a "professional" reviewer called out in an article or on youtube. Hardly a basis for writing off the car.
The following users liked this post:
shinonclub (08-05-18)
Old 08-05-18, 02:31 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think you'e looking at it through rose colored glasses here.

There is no reasonable argument that Lexus was smart to remove the heated/cooled seat controls. My LS460 has climate concierge also and has the auto linked heated/cooled seats. I actually don't like the AUTO function for the seats, and prefer to control them myself. I only like the seats on HIGH cool, or HIGH heat, or off. So for me, I would be in the menus on a regular basis trying to control the seat temp and it would bother me.
Steve, if you look back on this board, you'll find that I said essentially the same thing before, I took delivery of my 500. Trust me on this one, the Climate Concierge on the 500 is so far superior to what was in the 460, I think you're likely to find it's no longer necessary to run it at max all the time.
shinonclub (08-05-18)
Old 08-05-18, 03:42 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I hope that you realise that the someone you are referring to who didn't upgrade to the new 5LS is actually a very large number of people.
We certainly want you to enjoy your new purchase, but I hope you have the strength to accept that you're in the minority.
Nothing is perfect, but the rationale of this thread was to appeal to the majority.
To the contrary, no strength required. I will be glad to be in the minority on this one. Otherwise, one can easily belong to the MASS MAJORITY on the street by owning a Toyota Prius or Camry. Like I said before, I don't have your burden of trying to improve Lexus' sales or business. Rather, I'm on these threads to share my driving impressions and experiences with other LS 500 owners. When I read something from someone that states "...based on what I read from CR" or from Motor Trend, etc. etc., I always thought that person should go to these publications' online forum to discuss his feelings.

Last edited by shinonclub; 08-10-18 at 12:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by shinonclub:
dsc07 (08-05-18), JDR76 (08-05-18), john341 (08-05-18)
Old 08-05-18, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Steve, if you look back on this board, you'll find that I said essentially the same thing before, I took delivery of my 500. Trust me on this one, the Climate Concierge on the 500 is so far superior to what was in the 460, I think you're likely to find it's no longer necessary to run it at max all the time.
Even so, some controls you're just always better off to keep easily accessible...

Otherwise, one can easily belong to the MASS MAJORITY on the street by owning a Toyota Prius or Camry.
Agreed on that one...
Old 08-05-18, 07:23 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
In Asia the LS350 is the only engine variant offered in some countries. It’s likely aimed at upgraders from the GS who won’t want to stretch to an S-Class, or to maybe as an outlying competitor to small engined German flagship models that are not sold in the US.

If one compares the LS with GS class cars, the LS doesn’t fare too badly....improvement in several areas actually, including rear leg room, so it is a worthy upgrade. In fact, one wonders if this car would eventually substitute the GS in the future, at least in the Asia market where the GS seemed poorly positioned, and the ES highly successful.

The hybrid version seems to have received more bad reviews than good ones....even though one US magazine did give it some kind of an award. Shame that this is happening to a former Hybrid leader.

PS test drove the two Kia Stingers recently....amazing what they achieved. Finally there is a possible performance alternative to the German rivals. They drive great, with interior quality virtually on the par with some of the German rivals. They don’t have the badge yet, but neither did Lexus in 1990.

the Ls500 still hasn't grown on me.. an from my test drives (yes i had to go back and give it a 2nd & 3rd try) I'm happy to keep my current 460. As for the Stinger i cant justify 50k for ANY Kia (Hyundai too for that matter) not too mention the hit you'll take on resale.. At this point I'm putting serious thought into a preowned S Class Coupe..
Old 08-10-18, 09:05 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
the Ls500 still hasn't grown on me.. an from my test drives (yes i had to go back and give it a 2nd & 3rd try) I'm happy to keep my current 460. As for the Stinger i cant justify 50k for ANY Kia (Hyundai too for that matter) not too mention the hit you'll take on resale.. At this point I'm putting serious thought into a preowned S Class Coupe..
[LS 500 still hasn't grown on me] => [keep my current 460] => [can't justify $50K for a Stinger or ANY Kia/Hyundai for that matter] => [buying a used S Class coupe]... The logic seems to have lost me here.
Old 08-10-18, 09:43 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

Originally Posted by xfea
There are some less than flattering reviews of the new LS.
This one [from The Drive] has to be one of the most damning..

Center stack navigation?
"....the single worst, most distracting, downright hazardous interface in the entire industry."

Interior styling?
"... the most egregious bit of over-accessorizing.....Like some piece of art-fair junk..."
"...*****...gratuitous weirdness....like bolts in the Frankenstein monster’s neck..."

And the Kiroko Glass and pleated fabric trim?
"I thought it looked more like Barbie’s Magic Makeup Mirror."

10-speed transmission?
"a very bad 10-speed transmission, one which serves up the disconnected, rubber-bandy feel of a CVT."

Hybrid engine?
"....this LS sedan will feel infinitely healthier with this hybrid tumor surgically removed..."

Ahhh come on - Tell us how you really feel!
Frankly I think there are some valid points.
The hybrid system (Just 15 minutes in the LS500 for me, but thousands of miles in a 2017 RX450h) sucks.
The controls for the center stack are the worst.
The 10-speed transmission does hunt around.

Comments?
Back when I first saw this post, I didn't want to say anything yet. But now that I have driven my LS 500 for three months and more than 5000 miles, I must say this guy's review on The Drive was just simply trash.

Center stack navigation? I use the Voice Commands for easy access to not only navigation tasks, but also many other things like Climate Control, Seat Adjustment. They work wonderfully with minimal or no menu navigation on the trakpad.

Interior styling? Well, I happen to think the LS 500's interior styling is not only beautiful, but also unique. And that ML sound system's power ON/OFF button also controls volume and changes channels. What a seemingly simple, but yet brilliant design!

And the Kiroko Glass and pleated fabric trim? That's why there are different options, right? Some people love the Glass and fabric pieces on their LS doors. I chose something else, but still beautiful. I haven't had a set of more comfortable armrests in any other cars, the S Class or anything else, including my previous LS 400 and 460.

10-speed transmission? "a very bad 10-speed transmission, one which serves up the disconnected, rubber-bandy feel of a CVT."
Total rubbish! My LS 500 drives smoothly; the gear changes during steep climbs and special acceleration situations are anything but disconnected, rubber-bandy feel.

Hybrid engine? And again, that's why there are three trims, the hybrid, the regular, and the F sport. For my LS, I happen to enjoy the regular the most; so I bought the LS 500. I sincerely hope that future posters can share their own driving experiences of the 5LS instead of trashing the car's design aspects and performance characteristics based on reading someone else's write-ups or watching a Youtube video.
Old 08-10-18, 09:47 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Hybrid system has 3 different selectable drive mode like that of Mercedes? Only electric, only engine, combination of two(hybrid(I guess it'd be default mode.)
Old 08-10-18, 02:11 PM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

He lost me at Bluetooth. I paired my phone with my tester LS in about a minute.

Then again I work in the tech industry but he lost credibility to me once he started complaining about that. (Josh Condon, Deputy Editor, The Drive)
shinonclub (08-26-18)
Old 08-10-18, 02:33 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

i work with these cars every day, and im still trying to love the 500.

im obviously not a 500 owner, a 460 owner, or even a 430 owner! guess im the bottom feeder with the 20 year old used to be cool bomb of an LS, but i can offer a legit opinion as ive spent enough time in them to virtually have one in my driveway..

like every car ever made, the 500 has some very strong points, and some not so strong points. styling of the car is bold to say the least, and i like it! its good that the LS is coming out of its shell. plus i cant think of any other full size luxury cars in its class, that look anywhere close to as polarizing and identifiable as the new LS. i like the interior too! HOWEVER... not a fan of the digital tach/speedo, in the standard LS at least. f-sport sure but not the regular 500. call me old school but ill always love the optitron clusters the older ones had.

i hate the electronic shifter, and ive never been a fan of paddle shifters , but at least they look and feel nice. the track-pad isnt the greatest, but compared to the horror of the 1st gen track-pad, it feels like a million bucks.

its silent as the tomb and is softer than any LS well, ever. and the fit and finish feels light, but not cheap or chintzy at all. very well put together car.

the 500 has a pano roof option. YES FINALLY A PANO ROOF ON AN LS!!!! im a total sucker for those. just wish it retracted back further.

the new transmission isnt bad at all. i kinda like it. sure its kinda quirky, but it gives it character. besides, it a first year model car. give the guys in Tahara some slack.

cons... (to me at least)

navi graphics look like a Nintendo game. they stepped back into 2007. the rest of the interface is absolutely stunning, but the map graphics are horrible. -sorry lexus.
the engine and numbering. its a v6. yes, its a fast v6, its a fun v6, but at the end of the day, a V6 has no business under the hood of an LS. bottom line. yes, i know its called progress, and im just an old soul or whatever, but i just cant move past that. maybe im just closed minded or something. ill be honest, i was up in the morning to watch the reveal of the 500. when i found out it was a 6cyl, it legitimately ruined my day. it hurt me. i have a love hate relationship with the 500. cool tech, bold styling, well built, but it lost its heart. they also let go of the numbering which is something i always loved about lexus. they stayed true to the numbering until now.

ill be a loyal LS driver forever, but i will never own an LS500, as long as its a V6.

beautiful car, well made, fun to drive, awesome tech, but its just not for me.
Old 08-10-18, 02:36 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
He lost me at Bluetooth. I paired my phone with my tester LS in about a minute.

Then again I work in the tech industry but he lost credibility to me once he started complaining about that. (Josh Condon, Deputy Editor, The Drive)
Speaking of technology for most people evolving technology is advancing by leaps and bound almost by the day. Many people would be intimidated or have
slow learning curve. Personally Seems that I am always in catch up mode, LOL!

angrypengu (08-10-18)
Old 05-31-19, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Another brutal review of the LS500h, this time from autoweek

https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...swing-and-miss

Price as tested over $97K without the $23k glass/etc. package.
Old 06-01-19, 09:55 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

First time I've ever heard a reviewer call the car's' styling "bland". They always say it's unique or striking.
Old 06-01-19, 02:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Yes, it is like they read the other review you found.

Quick Reply: Scathing Review LS500h