LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Who is buying the new LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 07:46 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The G90 is a great car, but I don't think it will become the leader in the large sedan segment. I do think the G90 will steal a few LS customers from Lexus, but I think most will go to the Germans (A8, S-class or 7 series). Genesis has a lot of work to do on its brand and dealer network.
Perhaps you're right on Germans winning more then Genesis. Some will buy LS out of habit. The LS looks awesome inside and out. A huge car for the space, and ride quality 'sporty' instead of refined for a huge sedan. The S class definitely worth the extra $$.
Old 03-14-18, 07:57 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
Perhaps you're right on Germans winning more then Genesis. Some will buy LS out of habit. The LS looks awesome inside and out. A huge car for the space, and ride quality 'sporty' instead of refined for a huge sedan. The S class definitely worth the extra $$.

The LS500 interior is super high end I really love the Kaiko Glass trim. I was very impressed when I viewed it for the first time. I really hope they do something similar to the LS but in a slightly smaller package for the 5th gen GS. I really hope they offer a LS-F so they can compete with the S8 and S63. If they want to compete more with the euro marquees a V8 powered model with a ton of torque would be great for marketing the all new LS.

Last edited by highrev6; 03-14-18 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I found the ride quality still very refined on the air suspension.
Old 03-14-18, 08:29 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
I've driven my LS in Comfort mode since I got it. I wouldn't say that the car is sporty, it's certainly not lacking in refinement. I was driving along some back roads the other day at around 55 - 60 and it was silent. Handles deftly too compared to the LS 460. In my old LS, I was often aware that I was maneuvering a larger vehicle but that feeling has never crept in with the new LS. Overall it handles very well. I think its perception of sportiness comes largely from its polarizing looks.
Old 03-14-18, 09:38 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Could they offer V8 Engine in the near future same as MB. May be with the LSF.
Old 03-15-18, 10:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This 5LS forum needs to have a new member/new owner intro thread in the stickies, then we could see who is buying one.
Old 03-16-18, 02:55 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Picking up a F Sport on Monday.
Old 03-16-18, 03:12 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Picking up a F Sport on Monday.
Congratulations on your new ride! Let us know how the F Sport version goes!
Old 03-17-18, 04:48 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
I've driven my LS in Comfort mode since I got it. I wouldn't say that the car is sporty, it's certainly not lacking in refinement. I was driving along some back roads the other day at around 55 - 60 and it was silent. Handles deftly too compared to the LS 460. In my old LS, I was often aware that I was maneuvering a larger vehicle but that feeling has never crept in with the new LS. Overall it handles very well. I think its perception of sportiness comes largely from its polarizing looks.
Enjoy the ride and congrats on a very beautiful car, please post some pics! For me, the looks didn't have anything to do with the perception. I LOVE this car's looks, inside and out. I'm all for aggressive look, just don't want to feel anything of the road for this type vehicle, or hear it. USA's paved roads the worst in the world. I don't have track inspirations in a huge sedan and that is where much of the market and Lexus is headed. They tried to make it more 'engaging' and then the air suspension can't absorb the small slap from the run flats on concrete roads joints. Took test in S class with air suspension and the Mercedes and IF (it doesn't) had Lexus' reliability worth not just the $20k difference, but twice the cost of the LS in ride and isolation, yet still engaging with more responsive brakes, steering, quieter, tremendously better tech/nav. I think Lexus hit it a home run in style and fit/finish, but could have done a lot better in other compromised areas and offered regular tires, CarPlay and V8 as options. Just my opinion.

Last edited by kellens; 03-17-18 at 04:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
neilsarkar (03-22-18)
Old 03-17-18, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, I love the cars looks.
Old 03-20-18, 11:32 AM
Lead Lap

Received 752 Likes on 505 Posts

Lexus should go back to the basics of what makes a luxury car. They cAn take a clue from one of their own - the Toyota Century.
Old 03-25-18, 10:50 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattytubs
I test drove one, and I can why critics have basically universally panned it. Such a terribly designed car, they completely missed the mark in so many areas. I'm now looking at the 7 series, while friends in a similar position who are driving LS 460s are also exploring other options.

My first suggestion to Lexus is to get rid of the new engine, and bring back the older, smoother V8. It's just embarrassing how awful this engine and powertrain are. I was talking to a friend who heads up a Lexus dealership near me, and he was saying they've sold one pre-sale LS 500, but nothing since. Lexus will be lucky to sell 1,000 units this year in North America. Compare that to the 35,000 units in the first year when the LS 460 debuted, and you can see that Lexus has a potentially brand-ruining problem on their hand.

IMO this will be a one year blunder for Lexus, with a complete new redesign for 2019, with a redesigned new engine and powertrain, if they want to salvage the LS brand. If anyone is considering getting the LS, I would wait for this redesign.
Oh man, if that's the case Lexus will be ripe for all kinds of lawsuits. Just imagine the plight of those who own that 2018 LS. Yikes
Old 03-26-18, 05:35 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
Congratulations on your new ride! Let us know how the F Sport version goes!

So far, my only dislikes are the non intuitive controls and the overall length, almost 2 feet longer than the RC F it replaces in the garage. The transmission has been very smooth. Break in miles not completed yet so haven't used more than half throttle and the car does move out. It's about time the F has staggered tires. I like the ride although I'm coming from a 2015 RC F, which has an ultra firm ride. I don't know why people continue to compare the LS against the S class MB that's around $20K more. It's similar to the RC F being compared to the BMW M4 that's 400 pounds lighter and with its $10K ceramic brakes option. One quote fit perfectly, "The RC F doesn't pretend to be what it isn't". If I wasn't getting tired of getting in and out of such a low car, I'd be leasing a new one.

Last edited by gs400jon; 03-26-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is getting ridiculous guys lol. There will not be a redesign of the LS after only one year. If you don’t like it, fine. We all don’t like every car out there in the world. Continuing to beat on it though is pointless.

People have wondered where are all the LS500 buyers? Why would anybody who bought an LS500 want to join this forum and talk about the car? It’s so relentlessly negative.
Old 03-26-18, 10:25 AM
tnpats5
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I am kind of in shock right now. I expected to log on and see some beautiful pics of recent purchases of the LS.

What's Going on?

Quick Reply: Who is buying the new LS?