LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 11:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
Thank you I'm still getting to know the car. I barely had to read the manual for the LS 460 (it had buttons for everything) but I now have the LS 500 manual at my bedside table
I am disappointed. I would have expected you would be sleeping in the new car checking it out!
Old 03-04-18, 11:49 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
I just looked it up in the manual. Apparently it says that "constant speed control mode" can be activated by long-pressing the cruise control button (for > 1.5 seconds). So I guess short press for dynamic radar cruise control and long press for constant speed cruise control
Thanks Frank, that's as acceptable a solution as the old one, I guess. I'm not sure why Lexus doesn't make all these on/off features configurable in the cars settings. The auto-dimming rear-view mirror is another one that mystifies me. I should be able to set the default to off and turn it on if I need it.

I wonder how much more industry criticism over their infotainment system design it's going to take before Lexus goes out and hires some talented user interface architects and comes up with a decent control system for all their features. I mean, C'mon, making you go through x number of menu selections to adjust the cool/heat levels in the seats???
Old 03-04-18, 12:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The only thing I felt they needed to change was to illuminate the cruise control lever. I don’t understand why Lexus doesn’t do it.
Old 03-10-18, 09:05 AM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a chance to test the dynamic radar cruise yesterday during a 100+ mile ride yesterday (along with lane centering assist) and it worked really well. I am impressed. The car slowed and braked when it had to and then picked up speed again. Only issue is if the road suddenly clears up ahead of you, it accelerates to your set speed very quickly and that unnerved me a bit.
The following users liked this post:
reposado2 (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 03:05 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
Thanks Frank, that's as acceptable a solution as the old one, I guess. I'm not sure why Lexus doesn't make all these on/off features configurable in the cars settings. The auto-dimming rear-view mirror is another one that mystifies me. I should be able to set the default to off and turn it on if I need it.

I wonder how much more industry criticism over their infotainment system design it's going to take before Lexus goes out and hires some talented user interface architects and comes up with a decent control system for all their features. I mean, C'mon, making you go through x number of menu selections to adjust the cool/heat levels in the seats???
Just try voice commands; they work wonders.
Old 06-14-18, 06:55 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by shinonclub
Just try voice commands; they work wonders.
Yes, that was written before I took delivery in April. Regardless, Lexus really needs to up their game in this area. A lot of poor/dumb design decisions went into this new system. Not to mention all the features that the LS 460 had that have been removed from the LS 500.
Old 07-17-18, 09:14 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, I have simply set my and the passenger seats in the Climate Control settings two months ago, and haven't needed to touch that ever since. They are on auto so when it's hot the seats will cool down. And in the cold winter days, they will automatically heat up. Same with the steering wheel. So you don't need to mess with the controls everyday. Just my two cents.
Old 07-18-18, 10:43 AM
Terravita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or, if you must change the temperature, issue the voice command “Show the front seat heater settings” which will "Displays the screen to control the air conditioning or seat heating system" (see page 237 of the Navigation System Owner's Manual.