LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Photos and Videos from LS500 Event

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 07:00 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

"Remember the LS500 is LWB only now." Actually, there is no longer a LWB designation, so perhaps the LS500 is Standard Wheelbase only.
As I have been absorbing the information, it looks to me like the type of amenity previously provided in the LWB version of the LS are in the "Executive Package" on the new car. No extra legroom, but the seats recline and wiggle, etc., and you get a neat touch screen controller back there.
Old 01-30-18, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Some good points. My memory doesn't go back that far but I wonder if the LS460 received as much criticism compared to the LS430 as the LS500 is getting now.

In the end, new Lexus models end up "growing on" most critics on CL.
Oh, it was exactly the same. It still is, they still complain about the LS460.
Old 01-30-18, 07:52 AM
tfischer

My recollection is that a lot of the criticism of the LS was directed at it uninspired exterior styling (boxy, slab sides, etc.). It has always been considered an excellent luxury sedan with all the latest features, but in a pretty boring package. Many of the current reviews consider the new look to be quite an improvement. Of course, there is no accounting for taste, so what is one man's bold fashion statement is another man's horrible.
Old 01-30-18, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfischer
My recollection is that a lot of the criticism of the LS was directed at it uninspired exterior styling (boxy, slab sides, etc.). It has always been considered an excellent luxury sedan with all the latest features, but in a pretty boring package. Many of the current reviews consider the new look to be quite an improvement. Of course, there is no accounting for taste, so what is one man's bold fashion statement is another man's horrible.
You should read the threads in the LS430 forum about the LS460 lol
Old 01-30-18, 05:57 PM
tfischer

"You should read the threads in the LS430 forum about the LS460 lol"
Good tip. I'll head over there and have a look, lol.
(lol? - really?)
Old 01-30-18, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"You should read the threads in the LS430 forum about the LS460 lol"
Good tip. I'll head over there and have a look, lol.
(lol? - really?)
Oh yeah, they still go on about it. There are some people in there that HATE the LS460.
Old 01-31-18, 05:36 AM
tfischer

Hate it? Oh, my. I would not think that a generic 4 door sedan with an aged plain design would generate an emotion much higher than "nice" or lower than "dull" on the reaction scale.
Old 01-31-18, 06:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hate it? Oh, my. I would not think that a generic 4 door sedan with an aged plain design would generate an emotion much higher than "nice" or lower than "dull" on the reaction scale.
Having owned all 3, if you like the first two, there is absolutely no rational reason to “hate” the LS460, they are very similar in feel. The 460 is more “stylish” and abandons largely the conservative upright, flat roofed 3 box look the 400 and 430 had, but like you said the 460 is conservative and smooth and plain, nothing to “hate”. The 460 rides a little tauter than the 430, as did the 400, but handling is much improved and the car feels more confident on the road. The engine in the 460 is a little less smooth at idle because of the timing chain and the direct injection, but it’s more powerful without a penalty in fuel economy and doesn’t require the timing belt maintenance.

The 500 is a MUCH bigger departure from what the LS historically has been, the styling is polarizing inside and out, reports say the car is more dynamic and surprisingly sporty. I could see somebody “hating” the 500, but that’s the trade off Lexus has taken with all their new models. “You can’t make something special somebody truly loves unless you risk making somebody else hate it” seems to be their MO.

FWIW I do not hate the 500, I think it’s quite attractive actually, just different. Look forward to driving one.

People get very tied up in what they have being the best, and not everybody is in a position to replace what they have with the newer version, that plays into a lot of it IMHO.
Old 01-31-18, 12:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Having owned all 3, if you like the first two, there is absolutely no rational reason to “hate” the LS460, they are very similar in feel. The 460 is more “stylish” and abandons largely the conservative upright, flat roofed 3 box look the 400 and 430 had, but like you said the 460 is conservative and smooth and plain, nothing to “hate”. The 460 rides a little tauter than the 430, as did the 400, but handling is much improved and the car feels more confident on the road. The engine in the 460 is a little less smooth at idle because of the timing chain and the direct injection, but it’s more powerful without a penalty in fuel economy and doesn’t require the timing belt maintenance.

The 500 is a MUCH bigger departure from what the LS historically has been, the styling is polarizing inside and out, reports say the car is more dynamic and surprisingly sporty. I could see somebody “hating” the 500, but that’s the trade off Lexus has taken with all their new models. “You can’t make something special somebody truly loves unless you risk making somebody else hate it” seems to be their MO.

FWIW I do not hate the 500, I think it’s quite attractive actually, just different. Look forward to driving one.

People get very tied up in what they have being the best, and not everybody is in a position to replace what they have with the newer version, that plays into a lot of it IMHO.
I think you have made some excellent points. I have not seen the new LS as of yet, but taking a chance and going for it is something I think Lexus needs to do. If they simply evolved the current LS460 concept into a new model, I do not think it would sell very well. Or at least for a higher price point.

“You can’t make something special somebody truly loves unless you risk making somebody else hate it”

^^^^ interesting way to put it.
Old 01-31-18, 06:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you have made some excellent points. I have not seen the new LS as of yet, but taking a chance and going for it is something I think Lexus needs to do. If they simply evolved the current LS460 concept into a new model, I do not think it would sell very well. Or at least for a higher price point.
I think manufacturers are at a point with sedans where they have to come up with a new selling proposition for them as more and more "traditional" consumers go to crossovers. Its not enough for a sedan to purely be a refined, safe, solid and comfortable entry, which is what the LS has always been. That worked in 2008, but not 2018, I think you're right they need to do something. Thats what they're doing with the Avalon too. It makes sense when you look at it through the lens that their customer base for that model is exponentially moving to crossovers.

They have to give the big sedan some draw for customers to whom it still has attraction.

“You can’t make something special somebody truly loves unless you risk making somebody else hate it”

^^^^ interesting way to put it.
I think that really sums up Lexus' attitude, and you can really see that in how they talk too. And its true, I LOVE some of their current cars, and I hate some. I would say I really like the new LS styling, I LOVE the LC, and I hate the RX, as an example.
Old 01-31-18, 08:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think manufacturers are at a point with sedans where they have to come up with a new selling proposition for them as more and more "traditional" consumers go to crossovers. Its not enough for a sedan to purely be a refined, safe, solid and comfortable entry, which is what the LS has always been. That worked in 2008, but not 2018, I think you're right they need to do something. Thats what they're doing with the Avalon too. It makes sense when you look at it through the lens that their customer base for that model is exponentially moving to crossovers.

They have to give the big sedan some draw for customers to whom it still has attraction.

I think that really sums up Lexus' attitude, and you can really see that in how they talk too. And its true, I LOVE some of their current cars, and I hate some. I would say I really like the new LS styling, I LOVE the LC, and I hate the RX, as an example.
You are absolutely correct that Lexus needs to come up with new selling propositions. They need to offer something tangible and truly special for those opt for sedan. I believe Lexus has learned that they need to leave open a level for criticism to simple take away from the dreaded words of boring and sedate. For example, in another industry like movies, sometimes the best money making movies are the ones that do not receive universal acclaim or positive reviews.

Almost every review or comment I read about this new LS departs from the past LS. Expectations are not being met per say, as they are not be matched from past preconceived notions. This new LS was designed for the person to form some sort of opinion either good or bad.
Old 02-01-18, 02:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 763 Likes on 513 Posts

Don’t like it. Too much going on.
Old 02-01-18, 08:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The more I see of this car, the more I like it. I may be alone on this thread, but this is the first LS I would really seriously consider. I've always appreciated and respected the LS, but I find this one much more exciting and something I would seriously consider.
Old 02-01-18, 01:41 PM
bjjones
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding post!
Old 02-01-18, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
The more I see of this car, the more I like it. I may be alone on this thread, but this is the first LS I would really seriously consider. I've always appreciated and respected the LS, but I find this one much more exciting and something I would seriously consider.
And I think that makes total sense with you coming from a background of GS and IS ownership. This car more closely aligns with a buyer such as yourself than It does me, who is a traditional ES/LS guy
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (02-01-18)

Quick Reply: Photos and Videos from LS500 Event