LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight washer chrome cap 85356-50035, but needs extra piece of plastic 2007 LS4600

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 03:42 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Headlight washer chrome cap 85356-50035, but needs extra piece of plastic 2007 LS4600

The chrome headlight washer cap part 85356-50035 (driver side) fell off somewhere. Well, so I buy a new one, but it doesn't come with the piece needed to wed it to the squirter assembly. You have to buy the whole assembly to get that part. Does anyone have a broken assembly with this part at the end? The dealer said there is no part number for the small piece, although there is no way that chrome piece is falling off without taking the black piece with it. It is stuck in there tight. So losing the cheap plastic chrome piece could cost hundreds of dollars to fix. I'll check the junk yards I guess if no one has one. The pics show two chrome pieces. One without the black part for the center, that I just bought as a replacement, and one with the part that I pulled off the passenger side to see what I was missing. They very easily pop out, but the black piece is locked tightly into the piece that falls off your car.
Thank you
Eddie

The part numbers for the headlight washer assembly below are
85207-50030 passenger right
85208-50030 left

Last edited by scutch; 02-26-20 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 03:57 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Well look at this. Now that must be a deeply Chinese part at that price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-Headlight-Wiper-Washer-Nozzle-Actuator-For-Lexus-LS460-Passenger-RIGHT/253417623107?epid=21014611802&hash=item3b00de0e43:gjkAAOSwMfhafQUE

Even cheaper. I wish I would have known at the beginning. I would have known to buy the actuator too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-H...cAAOSw-YFajlgy

Last edited by scutch; 02-26-20 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 05:18 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Someone was selling this part new. That little piece that sticks out at the end looks like it will fit on my car. I don't know why my car doesn't have that little extension. It would have held the part into the actuator better. I'll have to wait and see what the part looks like that came out of the actuator I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2009-L...wzqO#vi-ilComp

Old 03-03-20, 10:40 AM
scutch
Pit Crew

The part I got looked right but was not a very snug fit for either of the two chrome pieces I have. It would kind of hang a little loose off the headlight hole. So I just glued it tight to the chrome piece and it seems to be working fine. As easy as those come off it seems as though they are made to remove before getting a car wash, as I do know.
Old 06-22-21, 03:52 AM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: I was faced with the same issue. I found at least two sources for the plastic-chrome covers WITH the small black nozzle plugs included … and a number of sources for the ENTIRE squirter assembly (either LH or RH) WITH the plastic-chrome cover & small black nozzle plug included … either way priced at around $20.

THE DETAILS: I recently purchased a 2007 Lexus LS460 with 119k miles. The selling dealership's pre-delivery checklist listed the headlamp washers as "not operable." Eventually, I've gotten around to looking into that.

Functioning properly on the passenger's side, but nothing happening on the driver's side. I discovered that the prior owner also had somehow lost, on the driver's side only, both the plastic-chrome cover and small black nozzle plug shown in the pictures here. (I am going to guess that the pressure of the washer fluid expelling against the small black nozzle plug actually expelled the nozzle plug and the cover that was attached to it, both probably left laying somewhere on some highway.)

So he/she used some adhesive putty to plug up entirely the hole for the small black nozzle plug and adhered a small scrap of plastic-chrome (that was about the right size & shape) on top of that with (a lot) more adhesive putty. All of that was keeping the driver's side squirter arm from extending or expelling any fluid. I pulled off the scrap of plastic-chrome and pulled out all the adhesive putty … and found that the squirter arm now extended properly and that it did expel fluid. (A LOT of fluid, like you had turned a faucet on, when you don't have the small black nozzle plug installed.)

The plastic faux-chrome covers do have Toyota part numbers, 85356-50030 (driver's side) & 85356-50035 (passenger's side). Their description is simply "*** Std. Part" and the dealership price is about $15 each. (I saw someone on eBay trying to make a living selling them for $35 each.) As the OP said, they do NOT come with the small black nozzle plug. The small black nozzle plug serves two purposes, (1) it plugs the front of the squirter/actuator arm so that washer fluid does not squirt straight out the hole where the nozzle plug fits-in and (2) it is the mounting-point for the plastic-chrome cover. Other sources, as well as my reading of the appropriate parts explosion, confirm that, as the OP says, there is NO Toyota part number for this small black nozzle plug. So, as far as Lexus & the dealership is concerned, the small black nozzle plug is available (only) as part of the entire squirter/actuator assembly. The Toyota part number for THOSE assemblies, btw, are 85208-50030 (driver's side) & 85207-50030 (passenger's side), "Actuator Sub-Assy, Headlamp Washer," priced at about $350 at the dealership.

All that in general agreement with what the OP has already said. I assume both he, as well as the prior owner of my vehicle, were told by the Lexus dealership that this is a $600 repair … $350 for the entire squirter/actuator assembly plus an hour or two of dealership-priced labor to install it. So my prior owner went with adhesive putty & scrap plastic-chrome instead.

I found two aftermarket sources selling the PAIR of plastic-chrome covers WITH the two small black nozzles plugs included. One at Amazon for $17: https://amzn.to/3zF4RN4 , the other on eBay (out of China) for $19: https://ebay.to/3gRyZMO . I went with Amazon, not only to not have to wait a month, not only because you have 30 days to Amazon-return no questions asked, but because you can't return anything bought on eBay back to China since the mailing costs are sky-high.The black nozzle plugs delivered from Amazon DO have those little clip/extensions on the end (that the OEM part apparently does not). For the life of me I could not find any information that would tell whether those clips/extensions (that are not in the center) should be installed to the "up" side or to the "down" side. (I went with "down" side.) I found that the black nozzle plug snapped tightly into the plastic-chrome cover; they'll be no need to glue them together. I ran two drops of ordinary Elmer's Glue around the seating groove between the two rectangles; I figure the Elmer's will help keep it on ... but won't be difficult to remove if I later need to do so. I don't want to step out to my LS460 someday and find the cover & nozzle plug missing … and have to fool with having to try to source them again.

It all went easy-peasy and the driver's side washer now works just fine.

I found multiple aftermarket sources for the ENTIRE squirter/actuator assemblies WITH the plastic-chrome covers & small black nozzle plugs included, both on Amazon and eBay. You could just cannibalize the cover & nozzle plug from one of these, need be, and toss the assembly. Here are several exemplar eBay sources for a driver's side assembly, all USA shippers: https://ebay.to/2TR5zq7 , https://ebay.to/3wJiAR8 , https://ebay.to/3iY6j7v , https://ebay.to/3vHXwcl . The price, for the ONE SIDE, at those sources is about $16.50 - $19.00 with free shipping. There were listings with higher prices, but what's the difference, since they surely all originated from the same Chinese factory.

If you want to try to find more/other aftermarket sources … for either the covers with nozzle plugs … or the entire assemblies … searching using the aforementioned Toyota part numbers should find whatever is out there.

Last edited by DrQuality; 07-28-21 at 11:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scutch (06-23-21)