LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Talk me into, or out of, this situation with my 460L...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 07:24 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Keep in mind the 5-series you're talking about spans two generations of car. F10=2011-2016 and G30=2017+. The engines also switched as well, the F10 (535) has the N55 I6 and the G30 (540) has the B58. Both single turbo Inline 6's. This brings up the question of buying the tried and true end of generation 2016, or wanting the newest tech but possibly lower reliability first model year 2017. I'm coming from an F10 535 which I really enjoyed. I didn't have any reliability issues with it save for a TPMS sensor. I won't make any reliability arguments for BMW on a Lexus forum though because it doesn't compare, however every manufacturer is more reliable in 2016; old stereotypes die hard. I made the choice to trade it on a used LS for long term reliability reasons so I could focus any car money towards my collector cars, not maintaining a depreciating daily driver. Hopefully that provides some direction on the BMW front. Best of luck in your search.
Old 03-03-19, 10:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Honestly you should look into the American market

They are creeping back up to their former glory year by year and its my belief that they will soon dominate the market

You want a little more mid size but sporty? Cadillac CTS-V (supercharged monster ) , supercharged mustang , hell maybe even a VETTE

Full size go for the camaro ZL1 , top scores from top to bottom , 580 HP (2012-2015) or 650 hp (2016+) should keep you entertained

Or if you really just wanna say $%^& it , im only living once, just get the Hellcat and be done with it all
Old 03-04-19, 05:18 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was very very close to buying a 2009 BMW 750li Last year but once I really researched some of the problems and the biggest one was the valve seals in the V8's. The car will start smoking at a pretty low mileage. We are talking as early as 60,000 miles in some cases. It's really not a Diy repair by any means as I went over the procedure multiple times. They believe it's happening due to the super long maintenance schedule of 15000 miles which sounds like a crazy long time. I also was not very impressed by the materials in the cabin. That exterior to me though, so nice.
Old 03-04-19, 05:30 AM
prichmon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 1willy1.
Old 03-04-19, 08:26 AM
profbigs88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi A7, it'll be plenty sportier and quicker than the LS anyway.
Old 03-04-19, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

American sedans dominating the market?! They're cancelling them left and right.
Old 03-04-19, 02:38 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Honestly you should look into the American market

They are creeping back up to their former glory year by year and its my belief that they will soon dominate the market

You want a little more mid size but sporty? Cadillac CTS-V (supercharged monster ) , supercharged mustang , hell maybe even a VETTE

Full size go for the camaro ZL1 , top scores from top to bottom , 580 HP (2012-2015) or 650 hp (2016+) should keep you entertained

Or if you really just wanna say $%^& it , im only living once, just get the Hellcat and be done with it all
After my experience with Cadillac, I won't be buying another GM car, ever. My father-in-law's CTS was even worse than mine. Unless you plan on dumping them before the warranty runs out, I wouldn't go near them.
Old 03-04-19, 02:41 PM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The most expensive failure points win the LS460 still aren't anywhere near as expensive as the potential failure points with BMWs and Mercedes.
This is true. And when is a Lexus water pump failure expensive? Did you keep driving despite the alarms?
Old 03-04-19, 03:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
American sedans dominating the market?! They're cancelling them left and right.
not sedans, their performance market, its by far the best bang for the buck

Originally Posted by Dave144239
After my experience with Cadillac, I won't be buying another GM car, ever. My father-in-law's CTS was even worse than mine. Unless you plan on dumping them before the warranty runs out, I wouldn't go near them.
I personally don't like the looks of the Cadillac's and I know nothing about them other then the drive trains some of them use

What kind of issues did you have ?

I have had two C5 corvettes and they were the best purchases I ever made in my life , I made money on both of them and had zero issues

The LS based V8's will go down as the best engines in history in my opinion , simple, cheap, reliable, POWERFUL yet fuel efficient …. truly amazing

My next dream car is supercharged 5th gen camaro or 5th gen camaro ZL1

Put a down payment on one of each over the winter and none of them panned out sadly
Old 03-04-19, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

But their performance market disappears alongside the sedans those performance models are based on.
Old 03-05-19, 01:05 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PwrdbyM
Keep in mind the 5-series you're talking about spans two generations of car. F10=2011-2016 and G30=2017+. The engines also switched as well, the F10 (535) has the N55 I6 and the G30 (540) has the B58. Both single turbo Inline 6's. This brings up the question of buying the tried and true end of generation 2016, or wanting the newest tech but possibly lower reliability first model year 2017. I'm coming from an F10 535 which I really enjoyed. I didn't have any reliability issues with it save for a TPMS sensor. I won't make any reliability arguments for BMW on a Lexus forum though because it doesn't compare, however every manufacturer is more reliable in 2016; old stereotypes die hard. I made the choice to trade it on a used LS for long term reliability reasons so I could focus any car money towards my collector cars, not maintaining a depreciating daily driver. Hopefully that provides some direction on the BMW front. Best of luck in your search.
Great info, thank you.
Old 03-05-19, 01:53 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

I personally don't like the looks of the Cadillac's and I know nothing about them other then the drive trains some of them use

What kind of issues did you have ?

I have had two C5 corvettes and they were the best purchases I ever made in my life , I made money on both of them and had zero issues

The LS based V8's will go down as the best engines in history in my opinion , simple, cheap, reliable, POWERFUL yet fuel efficient …. truly amazing

My next dream car is supercharged 5th gen camaro or 5th gen camaro ZL1

Put a down payment on one of each over the winter and none of them panned out sadly
The Vettes might be ok, but the CTS has a myriad of issues.

The sunroof drains get blocked, and the only way you can tell is when streams of water get behind the dash and, if you're lucky, get your carpet wet. If you're not so lucky, you get cool stuff like blown headunits, random center console electrical issues, windows that open by themselves and won't close until the car dries out, etc.

If you had the sedan, water also got into the trunk through the center brake light trim, and from there it could get behind the back seats, giving your car a nice mildew scent.

Wheel hubs died at such a rate that Cadillac stopped covering them under warranty from 2010 on. I had two go out on me, one at around 30k miles, and one at 61k miles. Over $1000 to fix those.

There were timing chain issues that could cause your engine to grenade. They did at least cover this for 10 years (and I think 120k miles), but there are cases where people had this fixed only to have it happen again within a year.

If you had the CTS4, the AWD shafts were badly designed, so driveshaft bolts would back out over time. If you were lucky, your car just stopped moving and you got it fixed for around $800. If you were unlucky, it would self-destruct at speed and take the whole AWD system with it.

The transmission is fragile - seems to have issues after 90k miles. Mine was definitely on its way out when I traded it at 96k miles.

Door locks can and will die at random times.

My father-in-law's high-pressure fuel pump died at 49k miles, over $700 to replace (at an indy shop).

My alternator died at 81k miles, a $650 fix.

The hatch struts died around the same time, but at least that was a cheap fix, at $150.

Once I realized that the transmission was going, I refused to dump any more money into it. I was happy to leave it behind when I picked up my 460.
Old 03-05-19, 02:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave144239
The Vettes might be ok, but the CTS has a myriad of issues.

The sunroof drains get blocked, and the only way you can tell is when streams of water get behind the dash and, if you're lucky, get your carpet wet. If you're not so lucky, you get cool stuff like blown headunits, random center console electrical issues, windows that open by themselves and won't close until the car dries out, etc.

If you had the sedan, water also got into the trunk through the center brake light trim, and from there it could get behind the back seats, giving your car a nice mildew scent.

Wheel hubs died at such a rate that Cadillac stopped covering them under warranty from 2010 on. I had two go out on me, one at around 30k miles, and one at 61k miles. Over $1000 to fix those.

There were timing chain issues that could cause your engine to grenade. They did at least cover this for 10 years (and I think 120k miles), but there are cases where people had this fixed only to have it happen again within a year.

If you had the CTS4, the AWD shafts were badly designed, so driveshaft bolts would back out over time. If you were lucky, your car just stopped moving and you got it fixed for around $800. If you were unlucky, it would self-destruct at speed and take the whole AWD system with it.

The transmission is fragile - seems to have issues after 90k miles. Mine was definitely on its way out when I traded it at 96k miles.

Door locks can and will die at random times.

My father-in-law's high-pressure fuel pump died at 49k miles, over $700 to replace (at an indy shop).

My alternator died at 81k miles, a $650 fix.

The hatch struts died around the same time, but at least that was a cheap fix, at $150.

Once I realized that the transmission was going, I refused to dump any more money into it. I was happy to leave it behind when I picked up my 460.
Geez what a mess , what year was that ?

Was it the ctsV or just the CTS?
Old 03-05-19, 04:54 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Geez what a mess , what year was that ?

Was it the ctsV or just the CTS?
2010, just a regular 3.6 Performance package wagon. This is the night I drove home in the 460

The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 05:00 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd try to stay Lexus....14/15 LS-F sport or GS-F or IS-F....all will be fun and reliable

Quick Reply: Talk me into, or out of, this situation with my 460L...