LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extended Warranty dilemma ... bear with me for a moment

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 10:48 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Extended Warranty dilemma ... bear with me for a moment

I’m about to close the deal on 2013 LS460 with 55k miles tomorrow $26,500 + TTL. My credit union offers me a 5/120k exclusion extended warranty with electronics coverage for $1,480.00 through Route 66 Easy Street plan (well regarded on beemer forums). And my local trusted Toyota / Lexus shop said that he had nothing but good experience with Route 66. They recently replaced a bad amp on 2010 460 for example

Now a good friend also hooked me up with a Toyota finance guy offering his policy at cost on similar terms.

so here is my dilemma, I always walked away from the finance office without any GAP, tire or extended warranty BS, but knowing how expensive repairs get on our 460s, I am actually entertaining dropping $1500 for the peace of mind approach. So question is, if I decide for a VSA, which one ? Route 66 or “Toyota” plan that is actually going through Gulf States Adninistrators instead of being a real Toyota / Lexus platinum plan.

Does anybody have any experience with either of those VSAs ?

Old 02-25-19, 05:19 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kermitxc
I’m about to close the deal on 2013 LS460 with 55k miles tomorrow $26,500 + TTL. My credit union offers me a 5/120k exclusion extended warranty with electronics coverage for $1,480.00 through Route 66 Easy Street plan (well regarded on beemer forums). And my local trusted Toyota / Lexus shop said that he had nothing but good experience with Route 66. They recently replaced a bad amp on 2010 460 for example

Now a good friend also hooked me up with a Toyota finance guy offering his policy at cost on similar terms.

so here is my dilemma, I always walked away from the finance office without any GAP, tire or extended warranty BS, but knowing how expensive repairs get on our 460s, I am actually entertaining dropping $1500 for the peace of mind approach. So question is, if I decide for a VSA, which one ? Route 66 or “Toyota” plan that is actually going through Gulf States Adninistrators instead of being a real Toyota / Lexus platinum plan.

Does anybody have any experience with either of those VSAs ?
Route 66 is a great warranty but they don’t cover electronics such as NAV or ML unless you buy the enhanced electronics package that is not available from every CU. Always look at the exclusions...I vote for the VSA if it is not much more expensive.

Also, Toyota has these warranties going through the regional administrators nowadays. Here in the SE, I think it goes through Fidelity

Last edited by hfahmy; 02-25-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 07:38 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

so my CU offers Route 66 Easy street with electronics coverage

and this is the info on the "VSA" from the Autonation Toyota Dealer - I pay $1,510.00

Old 02-26-19, 07:21 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

This VSA seems to be third party warranty, nothing to do with Toyota. Also, nothing about exclusions. You might need to ask for the actual contract.

I had Route 66 in the past and can tell you that they are great company.

Old 02-26-19, 08:41 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I don't see a problem with the extended warranty provided it does all you want and the dealership can do the repairs. As these cars get more evolved, more electronics, and more to go wrong, a little peace of mind is a good thing. I have a warranty on everything in my house which is stationary. So why not warrant a car which moves.
Old 02-26-19, 09:49 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

For a 460 you need warranty for electronics alone, I'll leave the engine and power train alone.
Old 02-26-19, 12:50 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

Originally Posted by hfahmy
This VSA seems to be third party warranty, nothing to do with Toyota. Also, nothing about exclusions. You might need to ask for the actual contract.

I had Route 66 in the past and can tell you that they are great company.
Good to hear, what did you end up using them for and did you do it at the Lexus dealership or 3rd party shop?
Old 02-26-19, 03:04 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Good to hear, what did you end up using them for and did you do it at the Lexus dealership or 3rd party shop?
i used them for replacement of water pump and lumbar mechanism on my previous 08 ls460. $3k of repair done @ the lexus dealer. No issues at all.
Old 02-26-19, 04:14 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

Originally Posted by hfahmy

i used them for replacement of water pump and lumbar mechanism on my previous 08 ls460. $3k of repair done @ the lexus dealer. No issues at all.
thats awesome! Definitely boost of confidence after reading all the horror stories. I think at $3k+ I would walk away. But at $1438 with 7years/120,000 miles it’s more than a reasonable thing to do
Old 02-26-19, 04:22 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

thats awesome! Definitely boost of confidence after reading all the horror stories. I think at $3k+ I would walk away. But at $1438 with 7years/120,000 miles it’s more than a reasonable thing to do
speaking of ... when closing on my 2013 460 last night, the finance man starts doing the spiel (after seeing the credit unions check). How about warranty on your car, I’ll take care of your tires and bumper to bumper, how much I asked ... not going to be cheap, number please ... ehhhmmm ... $3500 — good bye, focus on putting my down payment on my cc (points) and we’re good
Old 02-26-19, 07:17 PM
wetwilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat (purchased a new to me LS and am looking for a good 3rd part warranty). My credit union sells IWS warranties which i have had good experiences with but my LS has the air suspension on it and I wanted to make sure IWS covered it. They do cover the compressor and air lines but wont replace the air shock since their exclusion policy covers struts, not shocks. The air suspension is a shock with an airbag on the top, since the vehicle has upper control arms, they see it as a shock and therefore wont cover it. I am looking for a VSA that will cover the air shock when (not if) it goes out.
Old 02-26-19, 11:43 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

Originally Posted by wetwilly
I am in the same boat (purchased a new to me LS and am looking for a good 3rd part warranty). My credit union sells IWS warranties which i have had good experiences with but my LS has the air suspension on it and I wanted to make sure IWS covered it. They do cover the compressor and air lines but wont replace the air shock since their exclusion policy covers struts, not shocks. The air suspension is a shock with an airbag on the top, since the vehicle has upper control arms, they see it as a shock and therefore wont cover it. I am looking for a VSA that will cover the air shock when (not if) it goes out.
thats the very reason i excluded 460 with air shocks from my search ... how many miles do you have ?
Old 02-27-19, 06:49 AM
wetwilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 62K miles. Which Credit union are you using that offers Route 66?

I couldn't find a white exterior with black or flaxen interior fsport model without air (I think all fsports come with air?).
I feel confident that there is a VSA out there that will cover it. I have to look through the forums again as I do recall someone saying theirs was covered when it went out.
Old 02-27-19, 07:25 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You can contact them directly and find out which CU by you offer them.

I had MRC through my CU for my old BMW M5. They covered some repairs but they didn't cover throttle actuators as those were part of the intake system. You kind of have to read their fine prints on what they cover and whatnots.

Has anyone checked Costco for their extended auto warranty? I'm trying to find out which company offers it through Costco.
Old 02-27-19, 07:31 AM
kermitxc
Rookie

UFCU, now regarding your Air suspension, when I was considering the adaptive suspension I found that only the Lexus VSA Platinum covers the air shocks

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty dilemma ... bear with me for a moment