LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 Lexus LS 460 Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 08:02 PM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, so I have a high noise level in my car. At 10 dB(A) difference between what you measured and what I measured means a major difference in the perceived of loudness. I believe that the sound meter apps are dB(A) scale but I will check. The phone was attached to a phone holder and that holder was attached to the heat vent in the middle counsel driver side. My girlfriend has a 2012 Lexus LS 460, I will conduct a similar noise test on it and compare the results. Also I will fold the mirrors when I am driving to see if it makes a difference in the noise level.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its impossible to say because those apps vary so widely, were they dB(A) weighted, etc. Were you holding it at ear level or down in your lap? Has an impact.I have two apps, one registers 58-59 on the highway at 75 MPH, one registers about 61. Your numbers don't seem crazy high, and depending on the app could be totally normal. Just because it doesn't register on a dB meter though doesn't mean there isn't an issue.

Bottom line, if there is wind noise in your 2013 that was not present in your 2010, something is wrong.

Another question, do you have paint protection film on your side mirrors? If you fold the mirrors in when you are driving, does the sound go away?

It could be something as simple as one small piece of trim out of place.
Old 02-09-19, 08:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephS
Thanks for the feedback, so I have a high noise level in my car. At 10 dB(A) difference between what you measured and what I measured means a major difference in the perceived of loudness. I believe that the sound meter apps are dB(A) scale but I will check. The phone was attached to a phone holder and that holder was attached to the heat vent in the middle counsel driver side. My girlfriend has a 2012 Lexus LS 460, I will conduct a similar noise test on it and compare the results. Also I will fold the mirrors when I am driving to see if it makes a difference in the noise level.
I would not infer that at all comparing your dB readings to mine. Different phones, different apps, different road surfaces, traffic levels, etc. not at all comparable. You're just not going to be able to compare results unless they are taken with your phone and your app.

Having the phone that close to the air vent will absolutely raise the readings also, as well as having it that close to the firewall and the windshield. You need to hold it at ear level close to your head. I've played with dB apps in cars many times.
Old 02-09-19, 08:28 PM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will redo the test as you described and will post the results.

I would not infer that at all comparing your dB readings to mine. Different phones, different apps, different road surfaces, traffic levels, etc. not at all comparable. You're just not going to be able to compare results unless they are taken with your phone and your app.

Having the phone that close to the air vent will absolutely raise the readings also, as well as having it that close to the firewall and the windshield. You need to hold it at ear level close to your head. I've played with dB apps in cars many times.
Old 02-10-19, 07:14 PM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

OK I redid the noise test. This time I held the phone to the my ear level, half way between the driver side window and my ear. Unfortunately the noise level increased by ~ 3 to 5 dB over the noise levels I measured earlier when the phone was attached to the middle console (heat vent with the heat OFF). I also did the noise test on a my girlfriend car, a 2012 Lexus LS 460, and to my surprise I got almost the same noise levels that I got in my car. Maybe I was a bit oversensitive to the noise level in the 2013 LS 460 and it is possible that I may got the same noise levels in my previous 2010 LS 460. However I still believe that there are ways to reduce the noise level in this car by as much as 10 dB, I just need to figure out a way to do it. the

I did one more test where I taped all the sides of the driver window, all the side of the trim between driver door and car body, the top of the windshield in contact with the body, the side trim of windshield (driver side), the small triangle in front of the side mirror, but no difference what so ever in the noise level. I also folded the mirrors and no difference in the noise level.

Also see the link below that shows the measured noise level for different car models at different speeds.

http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/index_kmh.html

Last edited by JosephS; 02-10-19 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You really can't infer anything from your findings. Your phone is not a calibrated tool, differences in ambient noise, etc. Having used phone dB meters in cars many times, theres no way pulling the phone away from your dashboard closer to your head should increase noise, every time I have ever done that its the opposite. Even if you got the same dB readings that doesn't mean your noise isn't there.

10 dB is also a HUGE difference. There isn't 10 dB difference inside the quietest car on the road and a modern economy car. Remember 3 dB is twice the level of noise. That website is also not scientific because of all the reasons I've mentioned. The bottom line is, dB readings are dubious at best when used to compare ambient noise in a car.

I think you're better off to put the dB meter down and focus on finding the source of your noise vs worrying about the sound pressure readings.

All I can tell you is I have driven basically everything comparable to the LS. S Class, 7 Series, Range Rovers, everything. I've driven a Rolls Royce. I have driven cars as quiet as the LS460, but I have never driven any car quieter. If you are finding that other cars are quieter than your LS, certainly older versions of the LS, something is wrong somewhere.
Old 02-11-19, 05:34 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Maybe what you are hearing is road noise - combination of the condition of your tires as well as the actual road surface. The quality of the road surface makes a big difference in the road noise levels.
Old 02-11-19, 06:33 AM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that is a possibility.

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Maybe what you are hearing is road noise - combination of the condition of your tires as well as the actual road surface. The quality of the road surface makes a big difference in the road noise levels.
Old 02-11-19, 08:45 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

You really can't infer anything from your findings. Your phone is not a calibrated tool, differences in ambient noise, etc. Having used phone dB meters in cars many times, theres no way pulling the phone away from your dashboard closer to your head should increase noise, every time I have ever done that its the opposite. Even if you got the same dB readings that doesn't mean your noise isn't there.

10 dB is also a HUGE difference. There isn't 10 dB difference inside the quietest car on the road and a modern economy car. Remember 3 dB is twice the level of noise. That website is also not scientific because of all the reasons I've mentioned. The bottom line is, dB readings are dubious at best when used to compare ambient noise in a car.

I think you're better off to put the dB meter down and focus on finding the source of your noise vs worrying about the sound pressure readings.

All I can tell you is I have driven basically everything comparable to the LS. S Class, 7 Series, Range Rovers, everything. I've driven a Rolls Royce. I have driven cars as quiet as the LS460, but I have never driven any car quieter. If you are finding that other cars are quieter than your LS, certainly older versions of the LS, something is wrong somewhere.
SW17LS,

Thank you for these comments. You are highly respected in this forum and your words carry lots of weight.

As you said, trying to assess noise problems in these cars with handheld sound meters likely will give ambiguous indications.

And your point that "If you are finding that other cars are quieter than your LS, certainly older versions of the LS, something is wrong somewhere." is right on.

I would like to add some clarity to your comment about sound levels. A change of 3dB is a doubling (or halving) of sound pressure, while 10dB is 10X, or 0.1X change in sound pressure. But, a 3dB change is just barely perceptible by most people and some people can't distinguish a 3dB change. When "loudness" is described, the rule-of-thumb is that sound is perceived to be twice, or half, as loud for a change of 10dB.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why thank you!

That is very helpful
Old 02-11-19, 04:57 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Now that a poster reminded my about the noise from the road I had Costco remove a mid mile set of race grade summer only Michelin’s and put the longer guarantee all season Primacy’s.

most of the reason was the high road noise here in so cal on concrete freeways.

immediate noise reduction difference. Fixed. That and my passenger doors wind noise.

nice car without the tire noise.

Michelin mentions about the noise on their website.

asphalt is quieter still.

The original Michelin’s had a metallic noise on square edge bumps.

the Pirelli P1’s that were on the car when purchased were noisy and wandered perfectly set up.

the Michelin power pro’s fixed the wander but not the noise. At half wear they were getting noisier yet.

time to switch

Old 02-11-19, 07:01 PM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

I have Michelin tires on my car as well, they seem brand new, is there a better brand of tires that is less noisy?

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Now that a poster reminded my about the noise from the road I had Costco remove a mid mile set of race grade summer only Michelin’s and put the longer guarantee all season Primacy’s.

most of the reason was the high road noise here in so cal on concrete freeways.

immediate noise reduction difference. Fixed. That and my passenger doors wind noise.

nice car without the tire noise.

Michelin mentions about the noise on their website.

asphalt is quieter still.

The original Michelin’s had a metallic noise on square edge bumps.

the Pirelli P1’s that were on the car when purchased were noisy and wandered perfectly set up.

the Michelin power pro’s fixed the wander but not the noise. At half wear they were getting noisier yet.

time to switch

Old 02-11-19, 07:24 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephS
I have Michelin tires on my car as well, they seem brand new, is there a better brand of tires that is less noisy?
its the model not the brand. I switched Michelin’s for Michelin’s.

go on tire rack.com and read a lot of reviews to figure out some models are noisy and the primacy were made for lower noise and better ride.

Old 02-11-19, 07:27 PM
JosephS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, will do.

Originally Posted by Caflashbob

its the model not the brand. I switched Michelin’s for Michelin’s.

go on tire rack.com and read a lot of reviews to figure out some models are noisy and the primacy were made for lower noise and better ride.

Old 02-12-19, 02:23 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I have used Bridgestone Serenity and Michelin Primacy on two LS460L cars with very good results. The Bridgestone EL42s (that came with those two cars) were really terrible - harsh ride and noisy as well.
Old 02-12-19, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ive had three sets of Pirelli Cinturato P7s on LS460s and have been very happy.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS 460 Wind Noise