LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Test Drove a 2010 LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 05:55 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

thanks j law, its cool it was a 2016 and i was covered for all little things and have my rx for running the kids to stuff

i like the comfort of the s and the feeling i am in a german bank vault with all the crazy drivers

i agree with the buyers and sellers comment, its just like the stock market its all emotion most of the time

as an example i like silver colors a lot, most buyers would look at a used car or new and tell the people their negotiating with they love the color

nahhh, tell them you hate it your conceding and ready to walk, leverage is the answer in car purchases and selling

cheers
Old 01-13-19, 10:09 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

So you said you were underwhelmed about the car, but only point to the brakes as a real issue. Everything else is subjective. Is the car in good condition inside and out? If so, at that mileage your offer of $13k is way low. If you don't think you really want an LS460 then so be it, no one can answer that for you. However, it appears you've found a low mileage car that's in good condition.

I also like how people assume that millionaires don't care and they'll let it go for nothing. They also assume that millionaires just got lucky by having all that money. Someone who made the money themselves is going to want for the value, they're not going to give something away. Bad habits like that aren't how they were successful in the first place.
Old 01-14-19, 12:57 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

pwrdby great points, agree about people with money, its not by coincidence they have it and i think u missed my point
negotiations are about leverage so i think positive outcomes will emerge

and as far as way to littler the car has to have breaks, probably the control arms, valve cover gasket is inevitable.
real wholesale on the car is about 14-15k . so i am in alignment with my comfort.
i drive 30 k a year so i will need timing belt, water pump etc in less than a year as well

15k is my bottom line or i walk, that's what these cars are worth sad for such a great product but todays' reality with the shift to electric etc.
Old 01-14-19, 04:03 AM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

$15k certainly seems more realistic. There’s no timing belt so you can keep that money. As noted DIY serivce can save you a lot of money, especially with things like brakes. The control arms really aren’t a bad DIY either. Even if you’re not going to DIY a good indy shop is much cheaper than a dealer. At only $15k you get to drive what was a $80k+ luxury car. Even with some money for repairs you’re still way under even what a Huyndai Sonata is new for total cost. Good luck.
Old 01-14-19, 09:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

So you want $3,000 less than wholesale for a private party sale? Sounds to me like the guy should just wholesale it. Sorry, I just don't like taking advantage of people, especially taking advantage of people that like you or care about you. Pay the man a fair price.
Old 01-14-19, 09:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

When I post my vehicles for sale it always cracks me up when people make a low ball offer price and say "all cash" and expect me to jump on it.
I always laugh at that too. When I sold my mustang, I had a guy offer me a low ball price, and said "cash". I was like...."uh yeah, I don't accept Visa or Mastercard, so...."
Old 01-14-19, 12:32 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
15k is my bottom line or i walk
Then why insult him with a 12.5K offer? Why not just let him know that $15K is what you're willing to spend and see what that gets you? I'm sorry, someone trying to use "leverage" in a personal deal for a car can kick rocks if I'm dealing with them.

Originally Posted by PwrdbyM
$15k certainly seems more realistic.
Certainly.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So you want $3,000 less than wholesale for a private party sale? Sounds to me like the guy should just wholesale it. Sorry, I just don't like taking advantage of people, especially taking advantage of people that like you or care about you. Pay the man a fair price.
But this is where I still wind up.

GL OP

/unsubscribe
Old 01-14-19, 01:58 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS

i have read lots of responses where your always right and have to say you are usually on point on a lot but your response above made me laugh

i will end up putting rotors, pads, , thermostat, water pump, and front end suspension components

ill pay him what i feel is fair, appreciate your kind thoughts

Last edited by mikesrx350; 01-14-19 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Laugh all you want. I'm not going to lowball an offer on a car to somebody that I know. I'm not going to overpay, but I'm not going to insult them with a crazy price, thats classless IMHO. $12,500 is an insulting offer for that car. Its not even worth my time messing around with driving it and making an offer if I'm not going to have a chance at putting the deal together and buying the car.

Yeah it will need things...its 9 years old.
Old 01-14-19, 03:39 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

.. never met the guy negotiating thru his step son.
know his situation from traveling with his step son driving to see the car

Last edited by mikesrx350; 01-14-19 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 03:44 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

If you want to be successful buying automobiles, I'd try and shoot for $750 to $1k over the real wholesale number. If the car is a low-demand vehicle or something they can't move, obviously you can negotiate a bit harder. Remember, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is in the business of selling cars for a loss. It happens from time to time, but people who do that don't stay in business long. When an individual is selling, this is even more acute. They know what it's worth and they typically have some level of emotional attachment to the car at play as well. If you throw out a ridiculous lowball number at them, your chances go right in the crapper. IMHO, you're way better off taking wholesale plus a reasonable profit and trying that. In this case, if you buy that car in the range I quoted above, I think you have a good deal. While maintenance items in the future have to be a factor, that's really your problem, not the seller's. If it isn't needed now, that's a part of ownership.
Old 01-14-19, 03:56 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i was wondering the same thing; i mean you are seriously low balling the guy
Originally Posted by JLAWS
Those are crack head prices. You will continued to be ignored.
$16k might get your foot in the door. . I bet you told them you'd pay all cash right? When I post my vehicles for sale it always cracks me up when people make a low ball offer price and say "all cash" and expect me to jump on it.
Old 01-14-19, 06:03 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

If you want perfect you will have to pay for it or do it yourself.

unless you expect to find the unicorn. A showroom condition used Ls 460 close to wholesale book car.

i closed one eye and on the LS reputation alone i stepped up and bought a 08 with 54k miles garaged for $18.750.

all records. I will have $5k extra into it to restore the car to near showroom.

i have driven it 19k miles in 9 months. I feel privileged to be able to drive such a high quality car for $23k invested.

last three cars we owned all went 200k miles. This one will outdo all them combined.

you have to drive the money invested out of it.

found an unworn $2800 steering wheel for $109 unmounted. Bought a new center console cover for $400.

Replacing the drivers seat rubber cushion.

Newest Michelin’s. GromV2. Shined the chromed mags. Replaced floor mats. Upgraded head lights from 55k to whiter 60k. Had the dealer put in 2016 nav upgrade.

Align car. Bought part of the control arms.

Will replace the pitted aftermarket windshield with a new oem for $1200.

can you tell me a better car for $23k that can go another 400k miles without breaking the bank.

I was in the car biz long ago and the fancy rv for 20 years.

This is is a treat to drive. You drive something else. Not me.

oh. And it goes. And gets great mpg
Old 01-15-19, 07:00 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

wanted to say thank you for everyones input

went to see the car in the daylight and the car is in showroom condition, didn't realize in the dark the last time.
with everyones input and a buyer flying in to see the car from across country i stepped up when i saw the alabaster interior with the matte finish red/darker red wood absolutely stunning.

for anyone shopping and want to use as a baseline to negotiate below is the numbers, photos to follow in coming days.

2010 ls460 68,232 miles
luxury / nav/ levinson
comfort package with cool and heated seats
alabaster interior stunning / matte wood dont know what they call it.
never hit or painted

i listened to everyones input and stepped up to $16,500

the older gentlemen who was happy i will take care of his car, said with tax and a pinstripe paid $92,400 dollars in june of 2010

have all the service records he did them all including plugs and the 80 k or 60 k service which was around 1000 bucks 4 months ago.

thanks for all the input the car is a special highway cruiser, can't imagine how the lwb is with air suspension this car floats with 19's and non air
The following 2 users liked this post by mikesrx350:
DedBirdDog (01-15-19), richv5 (01-29-19)
Old 01-15-19, 07:11 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Pics or it never happened

Well done ! Great Price !

Quick Reply: Test Drove a 2010 LS