LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 Lexus LS 460 code C1555 + difficult to drive, locks up, loud noise = ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 05:07 PM
Jenifred97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus LS 460 code C1555 + difficult to drive, locks up, loud noise = ??

2007 Lexus LS 460... I AM A MOM... so please type in things I can understand. LOL. I have had to become knowledgable in my 18 year old son's car but not enough to be fluent in "male" or "mechanic" speak when it comes to cars.

C1555 + all mentioned above = needs new rack and pinion & EPS module from what I have researched and spoken with a couple of mechanic friends about. Problem is, dang kid had to have an expensive car with expensive parts and NOT SO EASY TO FIND parts... so, I'll ask, just to be sure. Anyone out there hear of this God awful noise whenever you turn the steering wheel along with that code and it NOT be the rack and pinion? Anyone know where I can find a low priced by good quality rack & pinion for his car with a service warranty as it appears I'm going to have to go the route of salvaged yard/ebay/used/refurbished kind of thing. Any help would be great! And if anyone is a super awesome major Lexus LS guy/mechanic and wants me to upload an audio or video of the noise... I'd be happy to... once I figure out how this site works for other than reading everyone's awesome information to figure out the issue.

Thank you in advance for any help and kindness... and patience! I'm one stressed out Mama!
Old 11-28-18, 05:18 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'd recommend finding a Toyota/Lexus independent mechanic that will let you bring your own parts, then finding the lowest mile replacement part on eBay or the like and have them install it. This will be the cheapest route but will not come with any warranty beyond a defective part warranty that likely only covers 60 days. And if the part is defective, the warranty likely will not cover the labor costs of removal and installation.

Then, within that 60 days sell the LS and put your son in a 5-7 year old Honda. If he can't afford repairs to that, at least he could source cheap parts and learn to do the work himself. I assume he knows how to use YouTube?

​​​​
Old 11-29-18, 04:22 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Tell your son to get on the forum to troubleshoot! I was 15 back when I joined to become more knowledgeable & troubleshoot issues on my 91 LS400. Things have gotten exponentially more simple since
Old 11-29-18, 04:59 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenifred97
2007 Lexus LS 460... I AM A MOM... so please type in things I can understand. LOL. I have had to become knowledgable in my 18 year old son's car but not enough to be fluent in "male" or "mechanic" speak when it comes to cars.

C1555 + all mentioned above = needs new rack and pinion & EPS module from what I have researched and spoken with a couple of mechanic friends about. Problem is, dang kid had to have an expensive car with expensive parts and NOT SO EASY TO FIND parts... so, I'll ask, just to be sure. Anyone out there hear of this God awful noise whenever you turn the steering wheel along with that code and it NOT be the rack and pinion? Anyone know where I can find a low priced by good quality rack & pinion for his car with a service warranty as it appears I'm going to have to go the route of salvaged yard/ebay/used/refurbished kind of thing. Any help would be great! And if anyone is a super awesome major Lexus LS guy/mechanic and wants me to upload an audio or video of the noise... I'd be happy to... once I figure out how this site works for other than reading everyone's awesome information to figure out the issue.

Thank you in advance for any help and kindness... and patience! I'm one stressed out Mama!
do you mean steering rack or steering column? Steering rack connects both front wheels. Mine failed because of water the rubber boots had a tear allowing water in... If the rack is what you need, a refurbished one will set you back 500+ if you send them yours after.... try google

here’s an example but not all racks are the same you need to make sure by providing the vehicle vin to the seller.
And as suggested don’t bring it to lexus please they are called stealerships for a reason

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388
Old 05-22-19, 03:14 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts

Did this mom ever fixed it? I hate it when new people seek help and never follow up.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (06-03-19)
Old 05-24-19, 02:01 AM
Ezlee600
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have this same code c1555

I read when starting the car if you rock the steering wheel left to right it will free up the steering and everything will work again
I read it's the steering wheel ecu going back but may also be the abs wheel sensor too
Old 05-25-19, 06:21 AM
Mrsjayruss
Driver School Candidate

Default Same thing...

My car started making a whinny Grinning noise when turning. The next few days the steering locked completely. It will release if I shimmy it back and forth.

I got the same code and a few more, but I replaced the EPS control module.. now it still is doing the same thing. The place that did the diagnostic said there was water in the boot under the car. Not too sure what that means or what to do about that either.

Looking for suggestions without having to kick out the 4500$.
Old 05-28-19, 09:35 AM
Mrsjayruss
Driver School Candidate

Default I just don’t know where to start...

Originally Posted by FunFact
Figure out what the codes are and post them. Or get a more direct diagnostic from a mechanic.

Old 06-03-19, 03:36 AM
Ezlee600
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsjayruss
My car started making a whinny Grinning noise when turning. The next few days the steering locked completely. It will release if I shimmy it back and forth.

I got the same code and a few more, but I replaced the EPS control module.. now it still is doing the same thing. The place that did the diagnostic said there was water in the boot under the car. Not too sure what that means or what to do about that either.

My tie rod ends was bad replace them and the light went off so check that if theirs play in the tie rod ball joints can be that ...
Mrsjayruss (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 06:23 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsjayruss

you have the exact same problem I did it seems read what i posted up in the thread and check rockauto etc or something similar
Mrsjayruss (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 06:31 PM
Mrsjayruss
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

I’m going to try one thing at a time and will keep this updated for general knowledge.
Old 06-04-19, 05:27 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I had the same code the day after i went thru some high water. I did the steering shake for a while. Think a month or so than one day i didnt and its been fine since and code is gone. That was about 2 years ago.