LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ready to start looking- any advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Having had a 2015 SWB with coil suspension and a 2017 LWB with air suspension, I would recommend the LWB and the air suspension. For me they took my enjoyment of the LS up several levels. The LWB isn't about space (although the space is awesome), it makes the car ride better, and it makes it look much more imposing.

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
OH, a la LS 430-style. Thanks, 213374U. I also recall @SW17LS saying his 2015 completely lacked rear heated seats. At first I thought he was mistaken but he has the car and would know. I still thought it odd until I saw the photo above. Now I am curious what really resides in the compartment below the slide-away armrest.
Its actually my 2017 that completely lacks rear heated seats. My much lesser optioned 2015 had them. My console looks like that, with no wood insert and no heated seats. My 2015 had a wood insert and the heated seat buttons. No big deal to me.

I would suggest though that you would miss the air suspension. The air suspension makes the car feel more refined, the ride is better controlled...
Old 10-17-18, 08:02 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having had a 2015 SWB with coil suspension and a 2017 LWB with air suspension, I would recommend the LWB and the air suspension. For me they took my enjoyment of the LS up several levels. The LWB isn't about space (although the space is awesome), it makes the car ride better, and it makes it look much more imposing.

Its actually my 2017 that completely lacks rear heated seats. My much lesser optioned 2015 had them. My console looks like that, with no wood insert and no heated seats. My 2015 had a wood insert and the heated seat buttons. No big deal to me.

I would suggest though that you would miss the air suspension. The air suspension makes the car feel more refined, the ride is better controlled...
Thanks for chiming in, Steve. The 2015 I drove today lacked air suspension. I noted that it rode firmer, not uncomfortable, but definitely firmer. Could have been the new 19" Pirelli P-Zero Nero (Ultra High Performance) tires. Besides the asking price being high, it will be hard to give up so many features on my Ultra Luxury in exchange for the LWB. Normally, I don't care for heated seats but the wife is often cold and does use it regularly. I just love sitting in the back of the LWB though, the space really sets the car apart from other vehicles. I can definitely cross my legs more easily in the back of a 460L than the LS 500.
Old 10-18-18, 05:35 AM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is it to replace air suspension? Is it really worth it?
what is the blind spot monitoring? Was it part of an option group or a separate option on its own?
Old 10-18-18, 05:58 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't have blind spot monitoring. But when I'm driving on a multi-lane road, I NEVER STOP noticing the cars around me. I can (but don't) change lanes without looking because I already know where other cars are. I double check in my mirrors. Here's an example. On the interstate, I'm planning what I'm going to do in advance. So many times I don't need to check my mirrors (but still do) because I'm watching the cars behind me and the one at my 7 o'clock position gaining on me because once that car passes I'm going to change into that lane and work my way around traffic ahead.

The point is: I think (for me) the blind spot monitoring is too "nanny." It would annoy me. It would be like having my dad in the car who tells me everything to do when I'm driving, when I've known and thought about what I'm actually going to do many seconds before he says something. (Just a note: I don't stop him from back-seat driving (out of respect) even though I want to choke him it is so annoying).

And I notice other cars on the road with their mirror light coming on as I'm approaching their blind spot. Because I notice it, I think I would find it annoying. I'm not liking the kind of features that are reducing the need for a driver to pay attention to what they're doing.
Old 10-18-18, 06:06 AM
mahad
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how much the air suspension costs to replace but from what I have heard, it is best to stay away from it. The blind spot system and rear cross traffic alert system came in the same package together. Im sure it should be on most LS's that you look at. I am pretty sure the blind spot system wasn't available on the '10-'12 models but dont take my word for it.
Old 10-18-18, 06:10 AM
mahad
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Again, '13+ models will have more creature comforts. It all depends on whether or not that price jump is worth it to you.
Old 10-18-18, 06:44 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

very true, to add the blind spot is a good thing to have in like big truck but in a LS, the visibility is too good you would never miss it. now the LKA is total headache
Old 10-18-18, 06:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by aslowdodge
what is the blind spot monitoring? Was it part of an option group or a separate option on its own?
Probably in the range of $2k for replacing air suspension at Lexus dealer is my guess. It was around that much for the replacement of hydraulic system on my LX570. I think the challenge with these cars, especially the LWB, is there isn't a ton of supply so you sometimes will search forever looking for the perfect combo. I would have bought my car even if it had air suspension because I loved the color, loved the service history, fell in love with the extra room offered by the L, and it had all options that were a "must" for me. In the end, when buying used sometimes the absolute perfect car doesn't come around so you pounce on the best one you can find. As other members have mentioned in the past, the 460 doesn't have a timing belt like previous generation LS's so if you have to replace the air suspension it's somewhere in the same ballpark of doing the timing belt & water pump service on a 430 or 400.

Blind spot monitoring was not offered until 2013 to my knowledge.
Old 10-18-18, 07:15 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

When I was shopping for a 460, the Lexus master mechanic quoted something like $1500 per corner for air suspension replacement. A $6K repair bill scared me straight. But more research on this forum reveals you can do it for maybe $3500 with OEM parts and independent mechanic, and maybe $2000 with aftermarket and DIY. I am prepared for my air suspension to fail eventually. At least they don't usually all fail simultaneously so the hurt to your wallet will be incremental. I have enjoyed the air suspension even though it was not something I initially sought out

The blind-spot monitoring has been a great help, especially the rest cross-traffic alert. I don't have too much issue changing lanes while in motion and the flashing doesnt distract nor bother me. I find the system more helpful when I'm actually not moving or barely moving backing out of a parking space. Several times the rear cross traffic alerts has warned me of people or other cars speeding down through the parking lot. The system warned me before I could see the person or other driver. At times when I saw a car coming, the system detected the other car from up to four parking spaces over. Sometimes a big truck or van completely obscures your ability to check behind you when backing up and the rear cross traffic alert is extremely helpful.

My wife though feels all the parking sensors and beeping would distract her and lead to an accident. She doesn't even want a backup camera. While it is true we all survived just fine without the latest safety features and driving aids in the past, I really do appreciate parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert and do not find their implementation intrusive. You can also set the loudness of beeps.
Old 10-18-18, 07:37 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't buy a car without blind spot monitor now that I use it in my wife's Jeep. I love that feature. Also rear cross traffic alert and automatic panic braking front and rear are a must for me for any future purchases. Radar cruise is another one a lot of people can't live without.
Old 10-18-18, 08:58 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe my experience will help you some. I initially started out looking for a 2008-2012 model although living here in the snow belt meant AWD was mandatory. After a great deal of reading, I realized that this was not as simple as I had first thought it was. The air suspension and brake actuator issues on the 2008-2012 cars really put the voodoo curse on me. I crossed off the 2008-2009 cars completely and kept looking. I really preferred the L model but finding one equipped the way I wanted it was a real challenge. Once I got access again to buying cars through the auction and was able to actually see what the wholesale numbers were on these cars, I moved up to the 2013+ cars. I ended up buying a 2013 SWB with ultra-luxury yesterday for $18,900. I would have preferred an L model but this one was just too good to pass up. For whatever reason, Lexus just doesn't load out the L models with all the options (or the buyers just keep them forever) and pickings are slim. The price gap between the 2010-2012 and 2013+ is about $10k although it can be a lot less if the deal is right. Someone posted on here to "get the newest model you can afford" and I think that is stellar advice. There really does seem to be a big difference in service histories on the 2013+ cars over the 2008-2012 models. I'm not sure why that is, but having read dozens and dozens of them I'm convinced of it.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-18, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I wouldn’t give up the features you have to get a LWB car with less options Father...

As for the air suspension, having had both the air is worth the repair risk. It really makes the car feel a lot better.
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 05:35 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wouldn’t give up the features you have to get a LWB car with less options Father...

As for the air suspension, having had both the air is worth the repair risk. It really makes the car feel a lot better.
There you go again making sense, Steve. I expected the non-air ride to be closer to what I have, but there is enough of a difference that I do prefer to keep my car rather than pay more for a LWB with less features. For my 5'1" wife and young daughter, the SWB is still plenty of room for them in the back. I am the one that is obsessed with rear legroom despite the fact I will never get to enjoy it...unless parked somewhere because it is doubtful I am letting someone else drive my LS, lol.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 10-18-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 07:12 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aslowdodge
while not a 460, When I had my first LS430 it was an ultra luxury with air suspension. Back then it was $1500 per shock to replace at my local Lexus dealer. Many resorted to replacing with regular coils rather than spend $6K. I doubt it is cheaper on a 460.
The following users liked this post:
TougeSC3 (10-22-18)
Old 10-18-18, 07:19 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by LS430FL
while not a 460, When I had my first LS430 it was an ultra luxury with air suspension. Back then it was $1500 per shock to replace at my local Lexus dealer. Many resorted to replacing with regular coils rather than spend $6K. I doubt it is cheaper on a 460.
Interesting, LS430FL. The Lexus master techs were warning me to stay away from the 460 due to control arms and the $6K air suspension replacement costs. They kept talking up the LS 430's superior reliability, yet they never mentioned the 430's own $6K air suspension bill, lol. Thanks for sharing.

(For the record, I love both the 430 and 460, for different reasons. Not starting a "which one is better" debate.)

Quick Reply: Ready to start looking- any advice