LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Wear Warning on LS460

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 10:08 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake Wear Warning on LS460

Does anyone know how to reset the brake wear warning on a 2014 LS460? I replaced front brake pads on mine, but the brake wear warning still shows up. The sensors were not damaged when the pads were worn down and they were placed where they should be. I tried unplugging the battery, but the warning still shows up. Any idea if this is supposed to reset automatically according to the sensors or if there is another way to manually reset it without having to take it to a dealer?
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (06-26-20)
Old 09-30-18, 09:27 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by wjlim22
Does anyone know how to reset the brake wear warning on a 2014 LS460? I replaced front brake pads on mine, but the brake wear warning still shows up. The sensors were not damaged when the pads were worn down and they were placed where they should be. I tried unplugging the battery, but the warning still shows up. Any idea if this is supposed to reset automatically according to the sensors or if there is another way to manually reset it without having to take it to a dealer?
-----
Sounds that one of the sensors is bad (shorted whatever the cause was). Do a simple test. Disconnect the brake pad sensor cables and then connect the sensor cable back one at a time. The one that triggers the wear warning is the bad one. Replace the bad sensor.
-----
CamelKool (06-26-20)
Old 09-30-18, 12:28 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Wouldn't it still cause the warning light if they're disconnected?
Old 09-30-18, 01:14 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Wouldn't it still cause the warning light if they're disconnected?
------
Edited/correction:
No. When the brake pad sensor cables are disconnected (removed) from the brake system, the brake wear warning lights go away (could also be cleared immediately by unplugging the battery or with Techstream). A brake pad sensor is just a disconnected circuit (a pair of unconnected connectors). When the brake pad wears down and wears out the insulation on the brake pad sensor, the circuit is disconnected and thereby sends out the brake wear warning light. In fact, some owners used an "innovative" temporary solution by cutting the bad brake pad sensor cable and manually reconnecting the wire to stop the brake wear warning light from showing up while waiting for the new brake pad wear sensor cable to arrive.
-------

Last edited by yyymmm31; 01-26-24 at 12:51 PM. Reason: correct a typo
Old 10-01-18, 07:05 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
------
No. When the brake pad sensor cables are disconnected (removed) from the brake system, the brake wear warning lights go away (could also be cleared immediately by unplugging the battery or with Techstream). A brake pad sensor is just a disconnected circuit (a pair of unconnected connectors). When the brake pad wears down and wears out the insulation on the brake pad sensor, the circuit is connected and thereby sends out the brake wear warning light. In fact, some owners used an "innovative" temporary solution by removing the bad brake pad sensor cable to stop the brake wear warning light from showing up while waiting for the new brake pad wear sensor cable to arrive.
-------
I didn't know that. Thanks for that info.
Old 10-01-18, 05:06 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Brake pad sensors are good for some people but create headaches and additional expense. I'm really glad that Lexus allows the sensor to be disconnected. I'm used to BMWs and the sensor must be connected or the light will trip. As a result many owners just zip tie them up out of the way so they never wear. Lexus gets the win on this one!
Old 10-02-18, 08:23 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Unless something changed and i could be wrong but when the pad gets low enough it starts to rub on the sensor and breaks the wire thereby creating an open circuit which turns the light on. Top turn the light off you can purchase new sensors or reconnect the wires by soldering then back together or twist them and then apply electrical tape. After you can zip tie them out of the way. Unless of course if Lexus changed the design of the sensors.
Old 10-04-18, 04:08 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

I'm going to try to disconnect the sensors and see what happens. I haven't had time to do it yet. I will report back when I do. I've never had brake sensors on my cars before and I check the brake pads whenever I rotate tires or get oil changed anyway. So, I don't really need them. I guess it's nice to have for people who don't look at their cars much.
Old 10-22-18, 11:44 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

any luck on this? My light just came on....
Old 10-22-18, 11:47 AM
wjlim22
Rookie

I ended up getting a replacement brake pad sensor for one side that I thought might have been damaged. I replaced it and the brake warning is now gone.
PANICiii (01-26-24)
Old 12-20-19, 09:05 AM
dmanna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this apply to my model year 2011 LS460?
Old 12-20-19, 01:15 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

I think the 2011 model would work the same way. My dad has the older LS460 and it is not much different. I just did my rear brakes and replaced both sensors. If your brake sensors are set off and the brake wear warning comes on your dashboard, then you will need to replace the brake pad sensors. If the sensors got set off, that means the sensors were definitely worn down and need to be replaced. The only way to avoid this is if you check your brake pads often and make sure to change them before the sensor goes off. So, now I'm going try to change brake pads before the sensor is engaged so that I might not need to replace them.
Old 04-09-20, 07:32 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Just a quick one here. My Break Wear sensor went off yesterday (My 2014). Is there a way, even with techstream to see what sensor went off ?

So If the front one, I will do the front breaks now, and do the rears later...etc.

Was kind of hoping for this to happen, as the past owner only went to Lexus for repairs and they shaved down the rotors a few times and after 2K miles I could start to feel it a little...
Old 04-09-20, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,821 Posts

I wouldn't hope for the wear indicators to go off, that just increases the cost of the brake job because the sensors have to be replaced.

All you have to do is look at the pads and it'll be clear what needs to be done. if the wear sensor went off they are very low. I've never even seen the brake sensor on any car I've ever owned, brakes have been done before the senor ever went off.
Old 04-09-20, 08:46 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wouldn't hope for the wear indicators to go off, that just increases the cost of the brake job because the sensors have to be replaced.

All you have to do is look at the pads and it'll be clear what needs to be done. if the wear sensor went off they are very low. I've never even seen the brake sensor on any car I've ever owned, brakes have been done before the senor ever went off.
Right in the center of the cluster, it has a red "Brake Wear" error with a lovely yellow exclamation point. I am assuming a sensor popped.

Truth be told, I have only had this car for about 2 months now, and it was a used car, was not sure exactly how much life was on the breaks, it was stopping fine so I didn't see any issue. I will do them myself, I have done them on all my past LS's with out any issue.

The sensors only only like $10-15 more from RockAuto, so it's not a big deal.

I was hoping I could see exactly what sensor went off, so I can pull a wheel off and double check it.. And if it's low, just order what I need for it..

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-09-20 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Wear Warning on LS460