LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HID-LED Headlights/Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 07:33 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default HID-LED Headlights/Fog Lights

Pardon the stupid questions but I am trying to figure out what I have and what I need to change/improve.
My 2011 LS build sheet says I have HID headlights.
The (4) headlight bulbs all work.
Inside ones are high beams and are rather yellow when on.
Outside ones are low beams and are bright white, I like them a lot.
The fog lights are only on when high beams are off, they are also yellow.

Are all three of these lights HID only different K values?
I would like to convert them to the whiter lights similar to the low beam.

Is the conversion a simple bublb chage to get them to a whiter K value?
What would be involved with changing them to LED's and can I get the LED's in the whiter K?

Also noticed that turn signal and other bulbs are bulbs and not LED. I plan on swapping them out for LED's.
I can dig through the posts to find the right bulbs, just need to understand what I have now and possible options.

Thanks in advance!

High beam (inside) yellow, low beam (outside) white.

Low beam (top) white, Fog light (bottom) yellow
Old 06-11-18, 08:22 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am interested as well and trying to research this. I found a lot of information on older posts talking about HID upgrades to the fogs, but I don't think that is necessary anymore with LED lights coming on the scene. I'm hoping there are plug and play LED versions for both.
Old 06-11-18, 11:46 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi guys, I think converting your front headlights to LEDs could be a challenge. People have definitely converted the turn signals and DRLs to LEDs. LEDing the taillights is also doable.

Our roadfrog, Chris, should have all the details! Check out his signature.
Old 06-12-18, 07:40 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi guys, I think converting your front headlights to LEDs could be a challenge. People have definitely converted the turn signals and DRLs to LEDs. LEDing the taillights is also doable.

Our roadfrog, Chris, should have all the details! Check out his signature.

Hi Chris,

I think the OP was interested in Driving Lights and Fog Lights, I know the title says headlights...

I personally want to leave the HIDs they look great, I just want the DL and the Fogs to match in color. I will check out roadfrog...

Thanks,

Rodney
Old 06-12-18, 09:00 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

So I still have a couple of questions:

The high beams (Inside Lights) are more yellow that the outside low beams. I'd like the inside light color to match the outside low beam white.
Are they both HID only different K values? Did a previous owner change out one or the other already?

Can I change out the high beams for a whiter light and where to source?

Same question for the fog lights, they are yellow and I desire more white to match the low beam color.
Old 06-13-18, 03:58 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi Gary, have you searched the forum? I recall there are quite a few threads on this topic with the type of info you are looking for.
Old 06-13-18, 08:27 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Gary, have you searched the forum? I recall there are quite a few threads on this topic with the type of info you are looking for.
Yeah,
I have read through CJiTTY"s Mod thread where he takes a 2012 LS460L lighting system and mods to LED. I am not sure the mods will work on my 2011, I will have to check.

I was hoping to see if someone could identify the lights on my 2011 and possibly someone with a 2011 that swapped the lights out for LED's.

I have an oil change set up at the dealers next week and will also ask them about the lighting.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-18, 09:58 PM
daniel1235
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For your year, you can change everything in the front end except the LED strip as these are on a board.

High beam is 9005, turn signal is 7440, parking bulb is 168, fog light is 9006.

@3GSSHOE, show me what you got going on with your fog light retro. I currently have mines open as im changng them to LED projectors instead of the same ol boring HID fog lamps.
The following 2 users liked this post by daniel1235:
Breck99 (02-18-20), njbrazil (10-02-19)
Old 06-17-18, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
So I still have a couple of questions:

The high beams (Inside Lights) are more yellow that the outside low beams. I'd like the inside light color to match the outside low beam white.
Are they both HID only different K values? Did a previous owner change out one or the other already?

Can I change out the high beams for a whiter light and where to source?

Same question for the fog lights, they are yellow and I desire more white to match the low beam color.
Doesn't look like your question got answered.

Your low beams are HID, your high beams are halogen, and your fog lights are halogen. On 13+ LS460s the cars with HIDs have bi-xenon headlights so the highs are also HID (same bulb as the lows) and the fog lights are LED>

You could replace the highs with an LED conversion kit designed for that size bulb (not sure what it is but you can look it up) and you could replace the foglight with LED bulbs. Be warned that the LED bulbs in the foglight will put out less light since the bulbs won't be optimized for the housings. You could in theory get an LED retrofit kit for the foglight like you will the high beams...