LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tough Choice for a Newb...LS or GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 09:44 PM
ewil007
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tough Choice for a Newb...LS or GS?

I know it's been discussed before...read all the related posts on this site, but looking for some additional input. Dilemma: Looking at either a 2010-2012 LS 460 Sport or a 2013-2015 GS 350 F Sport. These are the only options as I am sold on both trim levels and won't have it any other way, especially on the LS. Any newer years are not an option as either one of these cars I can get out the door in the high 20K range...don't want to spend more.
About me: Early 40s, married with 2 young kids. I'm a Toyota guy! Currently own a 1994 Land Cruiser, 07 Camry, and a 2011 Prius. I keep my cars a long time and care for them well...not afraid to turn a wrench. I AM SICK OF HAVING ZERO POWER (I typed that with my middle fingers), but seriously my cars have been dead reliable, however, I need more of an "experience" with my next ride.
Needs List: Keep in mind my expectations are coming from someone that daily drives a Camry.
1. Power...not Challenger SRT8 6.4 liter type power (although I was about to buy one but couldn't stomach the Dodge factor), but enough power to get up and go when needed/pass without planning in advance on the freeway (looking at you awesome but painfully slow Land Cruiser)
2. Comfort/Leather. I've never had it in good form and have to have it NOW! Again, coming from a Camry, may not neeeeed to be LS level.
3. Reliability...which is why I can't buy the Challenger. Any newish car is a big investment and I don't want a car that needs things replaced constantly.
4. Style. I want a good looking car that I can be proud of for some time.

LS 460 Pros the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. V8 power
2. Ultimate luxury
3. Pretty good looking
4. Prestige. I'm posting this on the LS forum because I am ever so slightly leaning towards the LS.
LS 460 CONS the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Long in the tooth and may be considered old man type car.
2. I'm seeing issues with reliability including water pumps and brake actuators. I just changed my original water pump in my 24 year old Land Cruiser...not acceptable for Lexus standard.
3. Not sure about the handling...again probably leaps and bounds better than my Camry, but I don't really want that "old Caddy ride". Not sure if that's an accurate description.
4. Chrome(y) Lot's of chrome...especially that strip down the door...can that be deleted somehow?

GS 350 Pros the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. People say it's sporty...hmmm. Never even considered it because it didn't have a V8 until I parked next to one at work today.
2. No known common issues
3. Newer body style...very handsome car. I peeked inside and it looked very very nice.
4. Less expensive used and more to choose from in my area.

GS 350 CONS the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Although "sporty", it's not a V8.
2. Less refined although I wouldn't know the difference. Looks pretty dang refined to me.
3. Hasn't been around long so there could be issues.

So based on my needs/wants, what says the great community of Club Lexus? 2010-2012 LS 460 Sport or 2013-2015 GS 350 F Sport?
Old 05-30-18, 04:15 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

I went through the same decision-making process, and ended up with an LS. I've only had it for five months, but every time I get in it and drive I'm glad I bought it.

Just so you see where I'm coming from, these were my previous daily drivers:

2005 - 2011 - Honda S2000
2011 - 2017 - Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

The GS is definitely more sporty, but 99% of my driving is either in suburbia or long-distance highway trips. The number of times in all those years that I've been on those twisty back roads you see in YouTube videos could be counted on both hands, at best. For me, the LS made more sense, and I love how it drives. I've taken it on one long trip to Ohio over the mountains in PA, and I thought it handled better than the Cadillac on the same roads. It's certainly not a floaty, disconnected ride like you got in the '80s Caddys.

I can't remember whether the LS 460 Sport has semi-aniline leather as an option, but if so, it's worth getting it if you can.
The following users liked this post:
ewil007 (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 07:14 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Early 40s, married with 2 young kids.
LS.

My wife loves the comfort ride of the LS. And I have two young kids also

For me personally, I'd go with 2013+ LS. Older years are too boring for me. Again my personal opinion.

Last edited by Kuhan; 05-30-18 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 07:22 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

LS..

I have the 2015 GS now.. I prefer the LS for it's power/smoothness/room.

Personally, I would wait until 2013+ gets within the striking distance. The update will be worth it. Wait the year.
Old 05-30-18, 07:30 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

You're definitely going to be getting a lot of advice to go the LS route on this forum... I know most of us here really appreciate the uber refinement and comfort provided by our LS's, and are willing to sacrifice sportiness and youthful appeal in order to get amazing smoothness and isolation from road imperfections. If you prefer a classic, understated, elegant exterior, go for a 2010-2012 LS. If you need a bit more exterior "zing," consider saving up for a 2013+ model. Either way you'll get Lexus reliability and flagship refinement.
Old 05-30-18, 07:59 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Easy choice.......the LS is the Lexus flagship sedan.
Old 05-30-18, 08:35 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Just a thought: Wonder why a 2013 GS is less expensive and more available than a 2010-2012 LS? Ok, enough of that. My personal opinion: I find the LS quite sporty. I love the lines and the look, and it's plenty fast for me. I've ridden in a friend's 2013 GS. It just didn't have the presence nor feel of my 2008. The ride in the LS is amazingly smooth and extremely comfortable. I've never once cared if someone looking at my car considered it an old man's car. It doesn't matter. #offthesoapbox

Best thing is to test both. See which model fits your needs. At the end of the day it's your call because you have to drive it. So pick what works for you. As mentioned above, you may want to save up and shoot for a 2013+. The changes, especially on the inside, are fairly dramatic. But if you do stick to the 2010-2012, I'd consider starting with the 2011 -2012. Good luck.
Old 05-30-18, 09:13 AM
ewil007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kuhan
LS.

My wife loves the comfort ride of the LS. And I have two young kids also

For me personally, I'd go with 2013+ LS. Older years are too boring for me. Again my personal opinion.
Oh dear lord! You had to make me look...Dammmit! Stunning car!

Last edited by ewil007; 05-30-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-30-18, 10:48 AM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Previous 2010 LS owner here. I loved my LS before I eventually got rid of it. It's a great car, very refined, powerful but not sporty by any means though. It has the classic luxury car look, but in my opinion the interior is a bit dated at this point when looking at 2013+ models.
Brake actuators, blown ML audio amps, warped rotors, and control arm replacements are common. On top of that, watch out for interior trim like arm rests and door wood panels that often crack and look bad at this point given the model is 6+ years old. I test drove a GS and liked the power, but it felt very stiff for me and nothing like the refinement of the LS. I ended up leaving the Lexus mothership for another brand. If I were you, test drive the older LS, then the newer LS, then a GS and you'll know what to choose.
Old 05-30-18, 04:00 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I thought about moving to a 2013+ GS350 and selling my sorted out 2008 LS460 with Comfort plus package. I would sell the LS and pay cash to get 2013+ Gs350. However I'd be giving up a lot of luxury amenities, extra room and smoothness of a V8. I've already done all my mods, Dvd bypass which is cool for family on road trips and 19's wheels which makes it handle much better while still retaining comfort. The only option for me is another LS460 but a 2013+. Starting prices are at $30K which is way out of my range. I may entertain a small car note if I can find a local deal of the century on a 2014 LS460L rwd with low miles and the right color combo. I'm still enjoying my LS460 with 94k miles. $15K+ more for a 2013+ is not worth me parting with it. Plus I still think it looks cool and it didn't need the look to grow on me like the 2013+ Ls460s
Old 05-30-18, 05:47 PM
ewil007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I thought about moving to a 2013+ GS350 and selling my sorted out 2008 LS460 with Comfort plus package. I would sell the LS and pay cash to get 2013+ Gs350. However I'd be giving up a lot of luxury amenities, extra room and smoothness of a V8. I've already done all my mods, Dvd bypass which is cool for family on road trips and 19's wheels which makes it handle much better while still retaining comfort. The only option for me is another LS460 but a 2013+. Starting prices are at $30K which is way out of my range. I may entertain a small car note if I can find a local deal of the century on a 2014 LS460L rwd with low miles and the right color combo. I'm still enjoying my LS460 with 94k miles. $15K+ more for a 2013+ is not worth me parting with it. Plus I still think it looks cool and it didn't need the look to grow on me like the 2013+ Ls460s
Good looking ride! I should have never looked at the 2013...my brain hurts! I just don't think I can swing it though and I'm not going to go into debt on a car. I have a line on a one owner low mileage 2012 that has the sport package and with the newer style out, it's easy to get the older model on the cheap. It still looks very nice, but the newer interior is superb, which is why the GS is in the equation.
Old 05-30-18, 07:57 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I agree. The newer GS/LS gen interior is superb. If you get a GS make sure it is at least a 2014. I believe all 2013s don't have power fold mirror option.
Old 05-30-18, 08:26 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I hear you and understand the dilemma. I just got my new to me 2013 LS a few weeks ago. It was totally worth the additional cost and time/effort to find the right one in my price range! I was also pushing my budget, but every time i test drove a 2011-2012 LS (3 times) while it is really nice, it's clearly just NOT the same as a 2013+. A lot more reported issues on 2010-2012 MY than 2013+. I found one with higher miles (there are SOME out there) and my price was low 30s. I saw a few in my search with mileage around 80k for under $30k. That said, you still need to add taxes, tags, fees so that's not an OTR price. For me, the backseat of the GS is simply too small. I know your kids are younger now, but if you're keeping the car a while, then eventually your bigger kids are getting in and out of that backseat with large backpacks. Something to think about. I second the opinion that you test drive all 3 models of consideration and you'll probably figure out what to do. When you figure out what you're looking for, let us know and we'll keep our eyes out for you to help in your search for the right one for you. Good luck!
ewil007 (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 09:43 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You have come to the right place to get advice on the LS vs GS. But I don't think your challenge is between an LS or GS. A few more test drives and some contemplation will push you towards an LS. The difficult part is what options, MY, mileage and price range will you settle for in the LS. Then there is the "How long will I look for the car with the features, color combo, mile and price range". I would drill down on the 2012 you have in your sights now.

I am new to the LS family but have had an RX for a couple years. We bought a one year old 2015 RX350 for my wife, replaced a 2012 X5 BMW. She loves it and is more comfortable driving it than the BMW. We have put 45k on it in the last 2-1/2 years with no maintenance except oil changes and tires.

I purchased a 2011 LS 460 sport option for me about 6 weeks ago. It replaced a 2008 Taurus with 145K. No tech on the Taurus so the 2011 is an upgrade for me. I have already put about 5,000 miles on it. I tend to keep my vehicles a long time and also like to do my own maintenance and repairs when I can. Previous vehicles for me have been Mazda 626's, Honda Accord, Chevy Equinox, Ford Taurus, all run to 140k or more. I plan on keeping the LS until the wheels fall off.

So for me, I was looking for many of the same things you seek, V8 power, reliability, luxury ride and understated elegance. What I have experienced is even way more and even hard for me to explain. I have enough miles in the car now to begin to appreciate it. I am so glad I bought a 2011 with the Sport Option and the ML audio. I know the tech in the 2011-2012 is a bit dated especially compared to the 2013 MY+. I knew that going in. I was more interested in the ride, the comfort and the audio. The LS delivers on all three plus. The Sport option is a bit of a misnomer as this vehicle is not a sports car and does not handle like one. That said the Sport option in the 2011-2012 LS provides some great features. The factory air ride allows firm, normal and comfort modes, the sport acceleration provides a more responsive throttle, more aggressive steering and the transmission is the same as the GS. The paddle shifters allow you to pretend you have a stick shift. Also, the interior trim matte wood and two toned leather are unique and really eye catching. Minor downside here is that it is not Analine leather.

Yes there are some known potential issues with the factory air ride, brake actuators, Brembo brake rotors, pads and brake dust. There is no way to prevent failures but if you can turn a wrench then the only real issue is the potential brake actuator replacement. I don't think the 2011-2012 MY's had too many of those go bad. Some have said that when getting into the luxury vehicle market, you have to pay to play and there is some truth to that.

I get a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel of the LS. As a result I have become a bit OCD with maintaining it in a very clean and detailed state. The ride experience is just sublime. I can make it sporty enough by pushing a couple of buttons and have fun in traffic. When on the highway it is comfort mode, and if I want really aggressive throttle response, sport mode there. Oh did I mention that the vehicle is just super quiet at highway speeds all the way to 3 digits. Yeah, that little detail, the ML audio and the ride make the car.

Like I said earlier, the tech is a bit dated but it does have hands free calling, and the ML audio is over the top. These were two must haves for me. Blind spot sensors and radar speed control would be nice but those features were not deal breakers for me. My Taurus had none of those. I like the RWD on the sport model, fewer moving parts than the AWD and more horse power to the wheels.
The V8 does drink premium but I got 25 MPG on my last road trip and that works for me.

Keep us posted on your journey and send pictures!
ewil007 (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 10:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ewil007
I know it's been discussed before...read all the related posts on this site, but looking for some additional input. Dilemma: Looking at either a 2010-2012 LS 460 Sport or a 2013-2015 GS 350 F Sport. These are the only options as I am sold on both trim levels and won't have it any other way, especially on the LS. Any newer years are not an option as either one of these cars I can get out the door in the high 20K range...don't want to spend more.
About me: Early 40s, married with 2 young kids. I'm a Toyota guy! Currently own a 1994 Land Cruiser, 07 Camry, and a 2011 Prius. I keep my cars a long time and care for them well...not afraid to turn a wrench. I AM SICK OF HAVING ZERO POWER (I typed that with my middle fingers), but seriously my cars have been dead reliable, however, I need more of an "experience" with my next ride.
Needs List: Keep in mind my expectations are coming from someone that daily drives a Camry.
1. Power...not Challenger SRT8 6.4 liter type power (although I was about to buy one but couldn't stomach the Dodge factor), but enough power to get up and go when needed/pass without planning in advance on the freeway (looking at you awesome but painfully slow Land Cruiser)
2. Comfort/Leather. I've never had it in good form and have to have it NOW! Again, coming from a Camry, may not neeeeed to be LS level.
3. Reliability...which is why I can't buy the Challenger. Any newish car is a big investment and I don't want a car that needs things replaced constantly.
4. Style. I want a good looking car that I can be proud of for some time.

LS 460 Pros the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. V8 power
2. Ultimate luxury
3. Pretty good looking
4. Prestige. I'm posting this on the LS forum because I am ever so slightly leaning towards the LS.
LS 460 CONS the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Long in the tooth and may be considered old man type car.
2. I'm seeing issues with reliability including water pumps and brake actuators. I just changed my original water pump in my 24 year old Land Cruiser...not acceptable for Lexus standard.
3. Not sure about the handling...again probably leaps and bounds better than my Camry, but I don't really want that "old Caddy ride". Not sure if that's an accurate description.
4. Chrome(y) Lot's of chrome...especially that strip down the door...can that be deleted somehow?

GS 350 Pros the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. People say it's sporty...hmmm. Never even considered it because it didn't have a V8 until I parked next to one at work today.
2. No known common issues
3. Newer body style...very handsome car. I peeked inside and it looked very very nice.
4. Less expensive used and more to choose from in my are

GS 350 CONS the way I see it (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Although "sporty", it's not a V8.
2. Less refined although I wouldn't know the difference. Looks pretty dang refined to me.
3. Hasn't been around long so there could be issues.

So based on my needs/wants, what says the great community of Club Lexus? 2010-2012 LS 460 Sport or 2013-2015 GS 350 F Sport?
I am going through the same dilemma and have come to about the same conclusions on both as you. I want the V8 power and refinement of the LS460 but all the expensive issues it has is making me lean more to a GS350. Even if I got a 2012 LS I would have less then 4 years left on the brake actuator warranty and then I would be dealing with a possible $4000+ repair(did they ever fix the brake actuator issue with the LS through the years) because they could not design a reliable braking system and dealers are gouging customers for the repair. Really with the LS460 was more reliable and better designed or they did not drop the V8 option for the 4th Gen GS.
ewil007 (05-30-18)

Quick Reply: Tough Choice for a Newb...LS or GS?