LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

new exhaust mod from oliver

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 05:23 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Who's did you install? I was thinking you've had yours on for a while...
Old 01-15-19, 05:31 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Got dropped off back at the office late last night from a trade show (same thing gonna happen again today). There sat a lonely LS, all by itself. The guy I rode back with had left. There was no sound anywhere around. Up until yesterday I hadn't drove the LS in about 5 weeks. Bad weather, Christmas plans and traveling. All making for non LS'able conditions. But there it sat, in an empty parking lot. I fumbled around with my bag and put it in the back seat, and is why the guy that dropped me off was long gone.

I sat down, pushed the START / STOP button, and was just like … "Oh God, how I've missed this car." Mark Levinson fired off something good on Pandora right after that, and I was in heaven for my brutally long 4.7 mile ride home. I think God pointed me down the right path on this exhaust thing because it was an epiphany when I realized that going with cut-outs were the worst of both worlds (open and closed). And without these, I would still be gritting my teeth wanting to hear what this baby had to say. Now she talks to me, and gives me shivers.

I've said it before, but after last night, it such an accurate analogy. Running the stock mufflers on the 4.6L in our LS cars, is like going to a Celine Dion concert and listening to her sing with a sock stuffed in her mouth. It just ain't right. To each his own though.

Jason Oliver
Old 01-15-19, 06:33 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this legal for CA ???
Old 01-15-19, 07:59 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I just read a bit about it. This is what I read. This sounds reasonable, however, I'm not a lawyer. This is a copy from the internet (https://jalopnik.com/why-people-are-...-e-1831620651):

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) spells the situation out pretty plainly in a press release:

California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824, which was signed into law by then-Governor Jerry Brown in June of 2018 went into effect on January 1, 2019. The bill has generated significant concern amongst the online enthusiast community. Despite what is being circulated, enactment of A.B. 1824 does not change existing laws pertaining to exhaust noise or sale and installation of aftermarket exhaust systems.

Under existing law, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824.

A.B. 1824 amended how excess exhaust noise violations are handled by law enforcement. Beginning this year, a vehicle cited for violating the current exhaust noise law will no longer receive what is known as a “fix-it” ticket. Instead, violations will result in an immediate fine.
What does this mean for the LS community? I contend that it means … not a whole lot. If one of you Cali guys were running doubles, near a LEO, and throttled it and made the exhaust as loud as it could possibly be with the Exhaust Vents, I think your chances of being pulled over for the sound is very close to 0%. If you got pulled over, it would be based on the driving style … accelerating to a point that a LEO may deem unsafe maybe. For those with this mod, they can comment on the statement I just made.

But the sound is more of a SOUND QUALITY, than it is of a LOUD SOUND. It sounds like the way the car SHOULD HAVE sounded from the factory. Even with doubles, I seriously doubt a LEO is going to realize the exhaust is not stock. As with my previous statements, the sound remains Lexus elegant, and IMHO, more elegant than the factory muffled sound. And I seriously doubt a LEO is going to give an LS a 2nd look anyway, as it doesn't look like a Corvette, Mustang, or Viper. And 3rd, even if a LEO pulled one of you guys over and got to looking, if you had the Stealth, he'd never see anything, it would appear totally stock. And if you had the Standard, he may not even notice them either. And if he did notice them, he wouldn't even know what he's seeing, or what it's doing, there being so little of them to see.

One other caveat. The Exhaust Vents are not an exhaust system. They're just parts. Therefore, you would not being installing an aftermarket exhaust system at all. And, you will continue to be running 100% of the original exhaust system! This is 100% true. The installation instructions require removal of NOTHING on the original system! You're simply adding a product to your car! So if someone says, "is that the original exhaust?" The answer is, "Yup." How do you like them apples? Maybe I'll get my apples flamed, but that's how I see it.
Old 01-15-19, 08:41 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Got dropped off back at the office late last night from a trade show (same thing gonna happen again today). There sat a lonely LS, all by itself. The guy I rode back with had left. There was no sound anywhere around. Up until yesterday I hadn't drove the LS in about 5 weeks. Bad weather, Christmas plans and traveling. All making for non LS'able conditions. But there it sat, in an empty parking lot. I fumbled around with my bag and put it in the back seat, and is why the guy that dropped me off was long gone.

I sat down, pushed the START / STOP button, and was just like … "Oh God, how I've missed this car." Mark Levinson fired off something good on Pandora right after that, and I was in heaven for my brutally long 4.7 mile ride home. I think God pointed me down the right path on this exhaust thing because it was an epiphany when I realized that going with cut-outs were the worst of both worlds (open and closed). And without these, I would still be gritting my teeth wanting to hear what this baby had to say. Now she talks to me, and gives me shivers.

I've said it before, but after last night, it such an accurate analogy. Running the stock mufflers on the 4.6L in our LS cars, is like going to a Celine Dion concert and listening to her sing with a sock stuffed in her mouth. It just ain't right. To each his own though.

Jason Oliver
I've been saving up the money to buy a set. I'm half way there. By October, my birthday, I'll have enough to reward myself with a set. Hope you don't sell out before then.
Old 01-15-19, 10:57 AM
Nzaw4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So with California's new laws, i really don't think the vents would cause any issue.

I've had the vents on now for at least 6 months, and yes the sound is a bit louder than stock. I do not think it is anywhere near what the LEO's in socal are looking for.

That is not to say they are just targeting SoCal car culture, because from what i read, it is up to the issuing officer to determine if your vehicle is in compliance. With that said, if you are somewhat modded (Lowered/rims/custom lighting and are hooning/ doing burn outs without TC/ all around ***, they will definitely issue you a ticket.

I saw it last week in Irvine.

But with Oliver's stealth vents, im confident that even if i do get a ticket/ State referee, they would have NO idea if i had the vents.

Its
Old 05-07-19, 12:59 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

It's been a while since I had anything to post. This weekend I was showing my Honda 450X to a potential buyer, and had to move the ole 460 to get to the 450X. I fired the 460 up and backed out of the garage, and got out of the car.

The potential buyer, "dayim … that thing sounds mean!" I was like, "yup!" Twas nice to hear it from someone else.

He wound up buying my 450X.

Jason Oliver
The following users liked this post:
bigsherv (05-08-19)
Old 05-07-19, 05:43 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I think that's already been covered but if you would like to provide the members with those cutouts at cost your more than welcome. Otherwise don't knock someone else's hustle.
The following 5 users liked this post by sha4000:
bigsherv (05-08-19), fwhomeboy (05-08-19), GR6RR (05-08-19), roadfrog (05-09-19), tofuprod (05-08-19)
Old 05-08-19, 05:25 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FunFact
Alternatively, just take a piece of metal, cut out an edge (you can vary the size for different sound), drill an appropriate size hole that matches the exhaust size, and boom: you've got a $5 fancy washer mod exhaust (AKA, exhaust leak). Trim the excess if you want, you're done. With a circular drill attachment and dremel you'll be done in a few minutes. Or, just buy cutouts if you want extra power. Just saved you $120.
I have no problem with this. If someone has the ability to fabricate like this, it could be a fun project. I do recommend to use high grade stainless steel, like I use, so that these parts DO NOT contribute to corrosion.
mambo619 (05-09-19)
Old 05-08-19, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Drilling holes in metal is not going to provide the same tone lol, Oliver put a lot of effort into engineering these, tweaking them to get the tone he wants, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
bigsherv (05-08-19), NotFasty (05-08-19)
Old 05-08-19, 12:49 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Alternatively, just take a piece of metal, cut out an edge (you can vary the size for different sound), drill an appropriate size hole that matches the exhaust size, and boom: you've got a $5 fancy washer mod exhaust (AKA, exhaust leak). Trim the excess if you want, you're done. With a circular drill attachment and dremel you'll be done in a few minutes. Or, just buy cutouts if you want extra power. Just saved you $120.

Cheapest dremmel tool kit, $50 at Walmart. Cheapest hole saw bit at Harbor Freight is about $10. Frustration of trying to cut a perfect size hole with cheap tools, trim, maybe have to get longer bolts (new ones supplied with vents) and hoping your attempt to cheap out doesn't fuse your exhaust to it with corrosion, probably much more than $100. I bought 2 sets, double stacked, and in about 15 minutes had the biggest smile since I got that car. I caught them on sale and it was the best mod dollar for dollar I have done to the car. But have at it for $120.
Old 05-09-19, 05:51 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

^^ Don’t forget your safety glasses!

BTW! A special thanks to Jason for "stepping up" and manufacturing these vents!........ A very affordable EZ to install mod!
Old 05-09-19, 07:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
^^ Don’t forget your safety glasses!

BTW! A special thanks to Jason for "stepping up" and manufacturing these vents!........ A very affordable EZ to install mod!
And kudos to Jason for his classy response to a troll (ish) post).. Instead of getting defensive (which I probably would have), he replied with his usual friendly demeanor. Guys like that I like to do business with....and did.

Jason...make me some for my SHO!
mambo619 (05-09-19)
Old 05-09-19, 08:18 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Jason...make me some for my SHO!
I can't … it's too Ford-ish. J/K.

My youngest son is trying to get active on my "Oliver Enterprises" IG account for me. I'm not familiar with IG, and for better or for worse, I don't care about IG. He does, trying to get me "followers." He's also pushing me to go out and find other vehicles these would work on. To me, it just sounds like work … I'm totally against work!

I said what I said mainly because it's true. It would be a fun project. Albeit a lot of work. I found that out the hard way. Also, being a mechanical engineer (a long time in automotive), I am familiar with material science (no expert and I'm not a super genius rocket scientist either). Cheap steel usage in such an application as this would not only have corrosion, but would tend to accelerate corrosion. Stainless will not. But stainless is less fabrication friendly. After going through the work I did, I wanted to make it quick and easy for you fellow LS owners, because the sound is quite fabulous. No sense to hoard the sound all to myself!

I heard an LC 500 drive by the other day. It sounded good. It wasn't accelerating hard, just gentle acceleration. So it would have had whatever their active exhaust system is, closed. I haven't heard it open. 2 things crossed my mind. 1) Why didn't our LS's come sounding like that? It wasn't loud at all, but could be heard. It sounded like Q U A L I T Y. Very Lexus-esque. And 2) I think our LS 460's sound better with Exhaust Vents, than the LC 500 I heard.

Jason
Old 12-16-19, 07:09 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Just in case, maybe some have noticed, maybe some have not. There is a stocking stuffer's special going on for Exhaust Vents!
NotFasty (12-16-19)

Quick Reply: new exhaust mod from oliver