LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Service Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 10:49 AM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Service Manual?

This is all I've found online. Is this the best option? Any other options?
Amazon Amazon

2008 Lexus LS460L
Old 12-03-17, 01:05 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/ls...ion/locations/
The following 2 users liked this post by Falbz:
diamente (07-13-22), joedaddy1 (12-03-17)
Old 12-03-17, 07:57 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I bought a 2 day subscription on the techinfo site and downloaded everything in pdf.
Old 12-03-17, 11:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

alldatadiy.com

That's what many of us use here at CL. It gives you up to date TSB's, labor costs, etc. It's a bargain
Old 12-04-17, 02:36 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Woefully inadequate, IMO. I didn't see one torque spec. The freaking "donate" window is annoying. I didn't even see how to remove the rotors, although I think I'll be able to figure that one out on my own.

But hey, at least it's free if you don't mind clicking away the "donate".
Old 12-04-17, 02:46 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by roadfrog
alldatadiy.com

That's what many of us use here at CL. It gives you up to date TSB's, labor costs, etc. It's a bargain

$50 for five years?

Some twenty years ago I bought a service manual (a real one - like, in print) for my Porsche and it must have cost under twenty bucks. I still have it and haven't had to pay $50 every five years to keep it. Paging through it takes a fraction of the time it takes to do that online. It has real pictures with detailed instructions. Using the online one is a pain in the rear, in comparison, and I'm on the hook for recurring charges. I swear, sometimes I hate the digital world.

I did see a real service manual (in print) on ebay but it cost almost a thousand dollars. Seems like I'm screwed. It seems to come down to this: either fork out a fortune for a real hard copy or use a digital one that is far inferior.

Where do you guys get torque specs online without paying? Anywhere? This one didn't have them: http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/ls...ion/locations/

I'll try techinfo next but I can already tell you what will happen. I will download it and at some point my hard drive will fry and I will have failed to back it up and it will be lost. Been there, done that.

Last edited by Craiger; 12-04-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 02:57 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Yep, just as I thought. I went to techinfo, clicked on "Subscribe", and all I got was a blank page with TIS at the top. Tried it twice.

Man, I love the digital world like I love a heart attack.
Old 12-04-17, 03:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If getting the latest service info, TSB's, etc for ten dollars a year is too much for you, then so be it. personally I can't stand storing a manual in hard copy and getting greasy fingerprints all over it, If I really need it in print, I just print the one or two pages I need for the relevant repair, and take THAT to the garage/driveway. Scribble anything I need to on it, then throw it away afterwards. It's also nice to refer to it from work, vacation destinations etc...anywhere a computer or my mobile phone can be accessed. Another bonus is being able to add a second vehicle (my wife's) for a discounted rate.

Don't worry about the digital world...it's just a passing fad.
Old 12-04-17, 03:56 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Craiger
Yep, just as I thought. I went to techinfo, clicked on "Subscribe", and all I got was a blank page with TIS at the top. Tried it twice.

Man, I love the digital world like I love a heart attack.
what browser and operating system are you using? I kept getting that page too until i figured out that you have to be on a windows system using internet explorer or edge. I'm primarily a Macbook user but i keep a Windows 10 laptop and use vmware. When you use explorer a separate page opens up. It took me 2 days to download all the pdf files and semi organize everything while downloading.
Old 12-04-17, 10:14 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Red face

Originally Posted by roadfrog
If getting the latest service info, TSB's, etc for ten dollars a year is too much for you, then so be it. personally I can't stand storing a manual in hard copy and getting greasy fingerprints all over it, If I really need it in print, I just print the one or two pages I need for the relevant repair, and take THAT to the garage/driveway. Scribble anything I need to on it, then throw it away afterwards. It's also nice to refer to it from work, vacation destinations etc...anywhere a computer or my mobile phone can be accessed. Another bonus is being able to add a second vehicle (my wife's) for a discounted rate.

Don't worry about the digital world...it's just a passing fad.
A book is so much faster, more detailed, and easier to understand. Just way better, IMO. I don't mind the fingerprints either. Good point on being able to carry it around everywhere though. On the other hand, I keep my manuals in my trunk at all times. I don't take a laptop everywhere I go. I'd rather have a manual in my trunk and I'd rather have that stolen than my laptop.

Ten dollars a year for twenty years, in the case of my Porsche, is $200...and countless time wasted sitting on my rear squinting at little print and sucking electricity. See post #9.

Safe to say, the usual suspects (Chilton, etc.) don't produce a hard copy service manual for a Lexus LS460 because there aren't enough owners who do their own service. It's dollars and cents.

We're all passing fads, in a way. Everything is.

Last edited by Craiger; 12-04-17 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marc780 (12-17-23)
Old 12-04-17, 10:15 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
what browser and operating system are you using? I kept getting that page too until i figured out that you have to be on a windows system using internet explorer or edge. I'm primarily a Macbook user but i keep a Windows 10 laptop and use vmware. When you use explorer a separate page opens up. It took me 2 days to download all the pdf files and semi organize everything while downloading.
Using Google Chrome on Windows 10. Will try others later.
More time wasted dicking around in the digital world.
Old 12-05-17, 08:52 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Craiger
Using Google Chrome on Windows 10. Will try others later.
More time wasted dicking around in the digital world.
Don't use chrome, use the edge browser. It gave me fits the first couple of times since I was intent on using chrome by habit. I will tell you that if you plan on downloading ALL the pdf files I would suggest you set up all your folders and sub folders ahead time.
Old 12-05-17, 01:57 PM
sr5guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2 day subscription on the techinfo site and downloaded everything in pdf.
What software did you use to download?

-Matt
Old 12-05-17, 03:26 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sr5guy
What software did you use to download?

-Matt
i use the free version of Adobe to view the files but if you look at the system requirements to use the site that should tell you everything you need.
Old 12-05-17, 06:56 PM
sr5guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i use the free version of Adobe to view the files but if you look at the system requirements to use the site that should tell you everything you need.
You downloaded each PDF manually? I figured you used a tool to batch download everything. I have not been on the site to see the layout as of yet.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Service Manual?