LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 Lexus LS460 Normal or Abnormal Problems? Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Never had or seen such an issue before...
Old 03-22-18, 01:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

That's really crazy to have so many issues with a new car. I would be royally pissed.
Old 03-22-18, 05:13 PM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I got a voicemail from a Lexus case manager today to assure me that they documented my issues with my trunk lid at the corporate level in case it continues to happen they can let Crown Lexus know I brought it up to them. I don’t know how that helps. I am surprised, I appreciate the responses on here but is Lexus usually so trouble free that nobody on this forum has had these issues before? I am used to the other brands where there are ‘common issues’ that you go on a forum and ask a question and everyone jumps all over it with their fixes to these common issues or at least what the dealer did to fix these common issues.
Old 03-22-18, 05:51 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by alexsystem
Well, I got a voicemail from a Lexus case manager today to assure me that they documented my issues with my trunk lid at the corporate level in case it continues to happen they can let Crown Lexus know I brought it up to them. I don’t know how that helps. I am surprised, I appreciate the responses on here but is Lexus usually so trouble free that nobody on this forum has had these issues before? I am used to the other brands where there are ‘common issues’ that you go on a forum and ask a question and everyone jumps all over it with their fixes to these common issues or at least what the dealer did to fix these common issues.
I think you got yourself a unique issue here. Congrats...sorta. The only really common items I've heard on the LS has been control arms and some interior issues on early models.
Old 03-31-18, 10:49 PM
jb1lover19111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2015 ls 460 l.

Hello Everyone! I’m not entirely sure if this is the correct place to ask these questions but I’ve been reading of ‘normal’ problems with Lexus cars on here. Things like normal transmission problems, normal engine idle problems and normal wind noise problems. However no thread I’ve come across so far has been extremely specific. I have a 2017 Lexus LS460 I purchased brand new about 4 months ago, I have about 9,000 miles on it and I’ve had some wind whistling noise that’s higher in volume than normal speech and the the stereo. I am not sure I can post a link to a YouTube video demonstrating the problem but I’m unsure if that is what people talk about when they complain about the wind noise. I also have a lose front bumper and I’ve had the engine stall a few times on me while getting on the freeway and while taking off from lights. It also surges on acceleration at times and idles rough when it surges. I’ve brought it in to the dealer for all of the problems and they say they can’t duplicate the issues and they even claimed they fixed the wind whistle. Also my headliner has been getting pretty lumpy, I’m not sure if there is a sunroof leak or what. The dealer says they see the lumps in the headliner but they say that’s normal too. I’ve had the car for 4 months, purchased the 100,000 mike warranty because I was really hoping this would be the best car I’ve ever owner but so far I’m having a tough time getting these issues fixed. Is there a direction I can head in or is this ‘normal stuff’ I came from Mercedes and yes I was in the dealer is a lot but they always fixed everything. Lexus hasn’t fixed anything and I think I’m at 6 unscheduled trips. I don’t want to burn a bridge and get a lemon law attorney, but I also don’t want to keep bringing it back and having nothing fixed. If it’s normal I’ll just live with it and go on down the road lesson learned and not buy another Lexus. If it’s abnormal to have problems like this and there is a solution or a way to navigate Lexus to have them put the effort into fixing it I’ll go that route. Any help would be appreciated. I apologize if this is not a direct repair related question but i do not want to attempt a repair on a 4 months old car under warranty myself. I can’t even get my dealer to return my phone calls, I’ve been dealing with Lexus customer service for about 2 months now, I kept being told that there were no managers and nobody else worked at Lexus when I asked for a different customer rep because mine would not return my calls. I finally went to the basic BBB and I got a call from Scott Murphy at the ‘executive branch’ and he is telling me to bring it in again to have a Lexus ‘district service and parts manager’ look at my car. Which I’ve committed to bring it in next week but being new to a problematic car and being new to Lexus I don’t know what to expect or what to do.
I had the same wind noise problem with my new 2015 Ls 460L. My noise came from the top XM radio finn at highway speeds because it was seating properly on the roof. I finally made them buy it back. They tried to give me the run around but I stayed on them. I only had the car for five months when I noticed it. Five months later they brought it back. I traded my 2008 Ls 460L in on it and I never had that problem.
Old 04-01-18, 04:03 AM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

How did the buyback process work? As in how difficult was it? Were you denied and then they came around later and you got it? I brought my car in around 300 miles for an interior rear panel 3 times (nobody had been in the rear seat yet) that was broken and rattling (dealer said was possibly broken from removing protective shipping plastic since I only had about 300 miles). I’ve been in 4 times for my running issues. Twice for my headliner, 3 times for the whistling noise and now the trunk lid issues. Scott at the Lexus executive branch referred me to the buyback department a while back. That department reviewed my case and said none of it affects the value or drivability of my car enough to make them feel they need to buy it back so pound salt. Now I’m back at the case manager level again about the trunk but the case manager is just saying they’ll document it and Scott stated he is no longer assigned to me so he doesn’t respond to anything. I’m just curious in your situation what prompted the buyback? Attached is the video of the trunk lid issue WITH the case manager voicemail. He basically said he documented it, my car is still under warranty so if it happens more let Crown Lexus know. I updated it with an explanation and Lexus corporates response to the dealer not finding it and fixing it even though they were provided with a video. I just don’t know what it takes with Lexus to get them to really stand behind the product now that they sold it to me or if I can find a solution on this forum where maybe someone else had the same issues and could shed some light on what fixed them.

Last edited by alexsystem; 04-01-18 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ve been posting on this forum and other Lexus forums for basically 20 years, I’ve never ever seen anybody who has the issues you’ve had, it’s just really bad luck on your part. You’re not going to find somebody else who has had those issues...

Honestly? If you’re that unhappy I would just trade the car in on something else. All of the time and energy making YouTube videos etc isn’t going to get you anywhere. Life is too short.
The following users liked this post:
roadfrog (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 09:16 AM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

With a response like that it sounds like someone works for Lexus 😳 😁.... thanks for the contribution and the additional input to help resolve the problem. It’s appreciated! The YouTube videos of just the problem initially were to be able to easily share the problem I am having with the technicians to hopefully help with the diagnosis and documenting the problem and should be considered helpful. It’s also what was recommended by users on here too so they can see the problem. The videos with the additional info and commentary however are hopefully to help people make a more informed decision as I didn’t know when I purchased a Lexus I’d get treated the way I am if I had problems nor did I expect to have problems, it’s not just a crying fest, it’s facts of what I have gotten so far. It’s sharing the response from a company that is in the pursuit of perfection. They take about 5 minutes to make from my iPhone, everything from texts, voicemail overlays and transitions... so it’s not like I called a film production company. I’m racking my brain for the etc part of your response. Also the bad luck on my part of your response, I’m confused how I played a part in the whistling noise, or the bumper, or the headliner, or the trunk lid or the broken panel or the running condition.

Also like any other car, there is a loss when you buy a new car in case you didn’t know by driving it off the lot. So there is a desire to get a resolution, not to lose thousands by trading it in after 9 months of ownership.

A user provided some information about the buyback process and his success with it, I provided a video and information of the feedback I’ve been getting from Lexus to see if it aligns with the same process his buyback took. I thought this was a forum to exchange information not jabs... but I could be wrong.
Old 04-01-18, 09:20 AM
Shad034
Driver

I'm not sure I read into SW17's post in the same tone you did alexsystem....I'm not getting the same message from it that you apparently got.

I THINK, what SW17 is trying to say, is that you've got a unicorn here. We've never seen this type or level of issues on this car, pretty much ever. So you're not going to find much more information in the forums here, because you're basically the first.
roadfrog (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 09:25 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

My newby reading of various issues that affected my new to me ran across a front window glass noise issue where Lexus was replacing 07 and 08 drivers and passenger window glass for excessive noise. No other info,

appareently original was single layer and the replacement was dual layer laminated glass.

the reported test was the tap the glass with your finger. A dull thunk was the laminated glass. The test was to compare the tapping noise result with the rear glass. Those were never laminated as I understand this.

possible the factory at the end of the product run used up the old parts on the line?

as far as your misfitting issues production tooling can and does wear in car factories allowing movement in the jigs and such that hold and index the parts.

Knowing they had the new 500ls coming maybe they let the line age out as it were versus replace worn jigs?

need to look at more 2017’s. Tsp on various years glass?
Old 04-01-18, 09:37 AM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

I don’t think I read into it too much, I’m not made of money I live comfortable but I have to work to do so. So to read where someone minimizes a problem in the way Lexus is doing and basically saying, yeah you spent some good money and yeah you worked hard for it, just throw it away and go get something else what’s the big deal, I mean there like is wine and a sunset to watch in my glass house on the beach because everyone has a golden spoon right? I keep getting told by Lexus to take it to another dealer. Well la-de-da, I’ve been to a dealer 30 miles from my house, 43 miles from my house and almost 80 miles from my house easy if you don’t have a regular job or are retired or aren’t the one spending hours in traffic to get there. I responded the way I did because when I had German cars if nobody in a forum had a solution it was never suggested to just throw money away. Is this the whole Lexus culture? Just throw it away, go to another dealer, live with it? I’m sorry but to hear just give up from Lexus and to hear just give up on a site supposedly dedicated to Lexus owners is a joke. These forums are hard enough to sift through for viable information because everyone has their commentary.
Old 04-01-18, 09:37 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Good morning! So I wanted to give an update having my car back. The brakes took care of the whistling noise, however my headliner per Lexus is normal, they can’t duplicate the bumper noise and don’t feel as though there is anything wrong with my bumper and they can’t duplicate the engine running issues. However I was pulling out of the service drive when I picked it up and did it pulling out on to the street, scared me, lost power briefly the tachometer showed the engine rev up and then it came back to life. Has anyone had these running issues? I’ve been driving my old 2003 Solara with 270,000 miles because that experience scared me it having traffic coming at my side and losing power. As of right now it’s been about a week and I haven’t received any return calls or email from Lexus and my car is parked. I don’t want to pursue the lemon law option yet I just want my car fixed but who knows I may have to, it’s brand new I should be able to feel confident driving it. If anyone has had these same running issues and they were able to get it fixed your input would be valuable. That is where I am at though.

water in fuel or a bad and batch of gas can cause your running issues. Happened to me long ago on a rv trip.

60 gallons of fake gas. Sputtered up hills. Cut out.

drsin and flash tank. Replace any fuel filters. Someone may have put regular in a premium fuel tank. Engine is 11.5 compression ratio and every part in the motor adjusts constantly to eliminate detonation.

having a bad batch of gas could cause it to cut out.

or one of the components that adjusts the timing for the exact gas might be intermittently bad? Good luck if no codes on that.

water in the boittom of the tank sloshing around can cause intermittent power.

using “HEAT” a winter product in gas(alcohol) allows any water in the fuel to mix with gas and burn up.
Old 04-01-18, 09:44 AM
Shad034
Driver

I don’t think I read into it too much, I’m not made of money I live comfortable but I have to work to do so. So to read where someone minimizes a problem in the way Lexus is doing and basically saying, yeah you spent some good money and yeah you worked hard for it, just throw it away and go get something else what’s the big deal, I mean there like is wine and a sunset to watch in my glass house on the beach because everyone has a golden spoon right? I keep getting told by Lexus to take it to another dealer. Well la-de-da, I’ve been to a dealer 30 miles from my house, 43 miles from my house and almost 80 miles from my house easy if you don’t have a regular job or are retired or aren’t the one spending hours in traffic to get there. I responded the way I did because when I had German cars if nobody in a forum had a solution it was never suggested to just throw money away. Is this the whole Lexus culture? Just throw it away, go to another dealer, live with it? I’m sorry but to hear just give up from Lexus and to hear just give up on a site supposedly dedicated to Lexus owners is a joke. These forums are hard enough to sift through for viable information because everyone has their commentary.
Dude getting salty in here isn't going to help. This is a forum dedicated to Lexus owners and enthusiasts. They owe you nothing in the way of sympathy or help or otherwise. That being said, I think you'll find this forums occupants to be generally pretty cool. I'm a newcomer myself, and I've found the climate in here to be quite welcoming.

I said it before, I think you are reading something into that post that isn't there.

Personally, I'm done with the topic now. Good luck man, hope they get it sorted out for you.
roadfrog (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 09:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

See, this is where these things get off the rails. No I don't work for Lexus, no there is no conspiracy here to somehow keep you and your specific situation from getting satisfaction. Quite frankly, you need to get a little bit of a reality check there, you and your car aren't so important that Lexus would plant schills to somehow dissuade you from pursuing your situation. People on German car forums have a different response because these kinds of problems are commonplace, they are not commonplace with a Lexus and thus we don't have a whole lot of experience to share with you. I have honestly never heard of a Lexus LS with the issues you're having, so I have no idea what to tell you to do. I'm not saying your issues aren't real, nobody has, only that they are extremely unusual.

I simply gave you a little bit of real world advice, which you can choose to accept or not. You come to a point where you can continue to struggle and suffer in an effort "to be right" or you can cut your losses and move on.

We are all just individual people who own these cars and post on this forum for our own enjoyment, and we've tried to give you guidance and help and support, but it comes to a point where if you're going to start to accuse us of ulterior motives and start acting like you are entitled to our help, we're just going to stop responding to you. Sucks for you that you have these problems, but quite frankly your problems aren't our problems and if you're going to have an attitude with us you won't get any more support from me.

My last suggestion to you would be, having dealt with problem cars from other manufacturers, if you act as entitled and as accusatory towards the dealership personnel and Lexus corporate as you have towards me here, that is why they aren't expending any effort to help you.

Best of luck to you. Unsubscribed.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-01-18 at 09:59 AM.
rmawyer (06-19-20)
Old 04-01-18, 09:58 AM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
See, this is where these things get off the rails. No I don't work for Lexus, no there is no conspiracy here to somehow keep you and your specific situation from getting satisfaction. Quite frankly, you need to get a little bit of a reality check there, you and your car aren't so important that Lexus would plant schills to somehow dissuade you from pursuing your situation. I simply gave you a little bit of real world advice, which you can choose to accept or not.

We are all just individual people who own these cars and post on this forum for our own enjoyment, and we've tried to give you guidance and help and support, but it comes to a point where if you're going to start to accuse us of ulterior motives we're just going to stop responding to you. Sucks for you that you have these problems, but quite frankly your problems aren't our problems and if you're going to have an attitude with us you won't get any more support from me.

Best of luck to you. Unsubscribed.
I think I’ve treated everyone who has tried to help or responded very respectfully to this date to your post. I have even thanked them for small suggestions. As for your commentary nothing gained, nothing lost! Have a nice day!

Last edited by alexsystem; 04-01-18 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lexus LS460 Normal or Abnormal Problems? Lemon?