LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

F sport brake pad options

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 09:38 AM
LexJonez
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Contact CarboTech.....I replaced my brakes because of the noise and brake dust. I replace them with CarboTech pads and I am very happy, no noise when braking and less brake dust.
Old 10-17-17, 12:48 PM
BigMau
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm lookiing at replacing mine [2010 Sport]. I don't see the point of owning a Sport/F Sport if you don't want the performance. Granted, I'm an ex-SCCA racer and I appreciate great brakes, but I'm also a mildly concerned about giving up stopping ability with ceramics. Is there anyone here who might be able to discern exactly how much braking ability you give up swapping to ceramics? [Many years ago I instaled "Big Reds" on my upgraded Porsche 930. At that time I discussed ceramic pads, mostly to eliminate dusting of my wheels. I asked him if there was any reason I shouldn't also swap to ceramic pads. His response "They don't STOP!"] I'm not trying to start a flame war - I'm interested in using these pads. I realize this is a sporty luxury car but I'm interested in what you give up vs the benifits.

BTW: Anyone complaining about brake squeal, go out and USE your brakes a few times and the squeal should disappear. If my wife uses this car too much it happens, but I'm happy to demonstrate the potential of the car while cleaning off the rotors. They LIKE to be used.
Old 10-19-17, 07:40 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brakes have to balance performance and livability. The 3 variables that come with brakes are performance in High and Low temperature, Brake noise, and brake dust. The compounds that make up the pads cannot do all 3 without sacrificing something else.
That being said I have Akebono ceramic pads and they are very low dust and make no noise. They are good enough for street driving which is what 99.999% of what the LS is going to be doing.
Old 10-29-17, 08:50 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have any noise with the OEM pads. I don't want to give up on performance but would like less dust. I need new pads soon..
Old 10-30-17, 09:42 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I don't have any noise with the OEM pads. I don't want to give up on performance but would like less dust. I need new pads soon..
Performance is a misnomer. You are giving up HIGH HEAT performance for LOW HEAT performance. Unless you are going to the track you dont need track pads, your braking distances will probably be better in the low temperature range that your brakes are going to be in.
Here is some information for you.
Old 07-19-18, 01:14 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

The squeal is gone!!! The dust is gone!!!

I finally got to put new pads and rotors installed on my 2014 F Sport RWD. My car squealed from the first day I got it and it was driving me nuts. Everyone looked at me in parking garages and as I came to a stop at red lights. That and the constant cleaning required to get the massive amounts of brake dust led me to get these parts swapped out. I am at 45K miles. Brake wear sensor did not go off, so I opted to use the existing ones.

I opted for Power Stop products all the way around. I had used them before and was happy with their performance. The main reason I am making this post is to let you know Power Stop finally released the Z23 pads for the front to replace the F Sport Brembo pads. Before your only choice was to get Z16-1440 pad for the F Sport fronts. Prior to June 2018, Power Stop only had Z23 rears and non-F Sport Z23 front pads.

The oddest thing is in late May I called Power Stop and they said they were sitting on 200 sets of Z23-1440. However, none of their vendors had them in their systems to order and none of them were helpful in getting them in stock. Only thebrakeguys.com was willing to call their Power Stop rep and have a set sent over. I wanted to give a big thank you to Dave at TheBrakeGuys customer service department for solving this conundrum for me.

My set up for 2014 F Sport RWD

Front
Rear

For the rears I ordered the rotor and pad kit called P15K4691. It was a few dollars cheaper to buy the rotor and pads together and they also had a rebate for an additional ten dollars off. I got them from JCWhitney $129.90 (after coupon). Not every vendor sells them as a combo.

The P15K4691 kit consists of
  • Z23 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic pads (Z23-1283)
  • Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors (JBR1352XPR)

When they pulled the car around the brakes made the strangest yet familiar sound. I had owned Z23 rotors and pads before for my old 5 series so I knew it was likely due to a lack of bedding. The shop owner handed me the bedding instructions and as I suspected they had not done this yet. I paid $200 even to have all four rotors and pads swapped. Later that evening I followed the bedding procedure and I am happy to say I am in love with the new pads and rotors.

Things that are gone:
  1. The squeal. These pads are silent
  2. The endless brake dust that covered my wheels.
  3. The patented neck breaking jerk from barely touching the F Sport brake pedal. The pads were way to sensitive.

Things that I am loving
  1. There is a lot of brake bite which I was worried I would lose. These may not have the insane braking the car had before. My wife will not miss it at all. That was her one and only complaint she had with me getting this car. Let me be clear, there is still tons of brake bite.
  2. It has been two days and my wheels are impressively cleaner than they have ever been. Before a couple drives to and from work had the fronts being extremely dusty and the rears semi dusty.
  3. I know all the back and forth about cross drilled rotors and how there are no benefits for normal driving, but I love the way these look. I wish the car came like this to begin with. I get that plain front rotors are longer lasting, but these give the F Sport a slightly more aggressive look that suits it.
  4. Last but not least, my total dollars spent on this was only $567 for all 4 wheels.

Front

Rear
Old 07-23-18, 05:04 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

One week later the results are in...
...almost no brake dust after a week and 300 miles in dusty Houston.

You can see see where I wiped my finger. In picture 2.

I could barely notice any dust.

Hooray PowerStop! Can barely tell where I wiped the dust away.

Old 07-24-18, 10:24 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in need of brake pads and front rotors. I went with your recommendation and did the Power Stop pads. I will probably get OEM rotors though..
Old 07-27-18, 11:04 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

I think powerstop makes plain faced rotors also.

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I am in need of brake pads and front rotors. I went with your recommendation and did the Power Stop pads. I will probably get OEM rotors though..