LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

To LS or not to LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 08:05 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
And check in front of the sunroof, if there's a little dent at one of the corners, the car has been hit hard. Body shops won't fix that area, and if the car has been hit hard it'll leave a distortion up there. Don't trust the carfax.
Any more info about this?

I've noticed a very shallow dent in one of these spots on mine, not even noticeable unless you're at the right angle in the right light, but it's there. I've also been wondering about possible front end repairs because the panel gaps around the grill aren't even all the way around. Again, it's not bad enough that anyone else would notice, but I see it. But this could be just an adjustment issue, I haven't messed with it so I'm not sure. I'll have to post some pics later.
Old 07-14-17, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Also be prepared for the expense of a new engine ... it can't last forever! I carry around a tourniquet also, a limb is bound to be severed at any time!

I'm just joking. All joking aside, I agree the air suspension is just one more thing to go wrong. But, for the life of me, I've not noticed it to be any big problem. Nothing like control arms. I think it's a matter of, it seems like a big deal because when it does happen, and a person goes to the dealer for it, it is expensive. And then, a lot of big noise comes from that experience (justifiably). But I don't know all the facts.

I'll repair mine if it ever needs it...
But your engine doesn't have a high likelihood of needing replacement within 100k miles, air suspension does. People just have to understand that.
Old 07-14-17, 08:42 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Also, is soft closing doors standard on all LSs?
Because the car has the rear seat package it should also have soft closing doors.
Old 07-14-17, 08:50 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Any more info about this?
NVM, it appears to be a structural integrity issue that is happening on many different makes and models of vehicle, all in the same place. Could come from a front end accident, could come from a serious pothole or object in the road, could be many different things based on what I've been reading.

Not going to concern myself with it, it's barely noticeable and doesn't at all detract from my love for the car.
Old 07-14-17, 09:59 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
NVM, it appears to be a structural integrity issue that is happening on many different makes and models of vehicle, all in the same place. Could come from a front end accident, could come from a serious pothole or object in the road, could be many different things based on what I've been reading.

Not going to concern myself with it, it's barely noticeable and doesn't at all detract from my love for the car.
I was just going to do some digging, but it looks like you already did. The sunroof dent thing is something I learned about from watching pre car inspection videos online, so that's the extent of my expertise in that area. I will tell you that my LS has been in a prior accident and I DO have that little dent at the corner of the moonroof,vim probably the only one that has noticed it.

​​​​​​​I don't worry about it...don't think most should, but if you're buying a car it might be something to consider. With my car I was already aware that it had been in an accident, so there were no real surprises when I noticed the roof.

But I don't think a pothole could do it - that'd have to be one serious pothole - and if it was an object on the road, and it hit that general area, I would think it'd scratch the paint and leave more of a pronounced mark. Just my opinion.
Old 07-14-17, 04:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

Without regard to the pricing, I would consider the 2007 in a heartbeat. In 10 years and 113,000 miles my only nitpicks are the wrap on the drip molding can peel off and the deterioration of some of the wheels. Two things that can be fixed cheaply, or ignored entirely because they have zero impact on the operation of the car.
Old 07-14-17, 05:14 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Went and took a look at the '07 today... I was in awe of clean it was. Aside from minor scuff and marks from 10 years of driving, it is obvious this car was babied. Here are a few pics. I couldn't get more as I was too busy checking everything out. I think I'm in love lol.
Attached Thumbnails To LS or not to LS-photo213.jpg   To LS or not to LS-photo748.jpg   To LS or not to LS-photo527.jpg  
Old 07-14-17, 07:25 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Levinson audio, too - nice.
Old 07-15-17, 02:07 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
This same discussion comes up on every car forum. The general consensus is that having air suspension is like owning a house with a swimming pool in a non arid locale. A realtor's nightmare. On the Jeep Grand Cherokee forum a guy was just saying he didn't even make it home from the dealership on delivery. One corner fell down. This is not the norm but an air suspension system is one of the most distrusted options to own.
I might be the guy that you're referring to from the Jeep Grand Cherokee forum. I bought a JGC Summit 5.7L earlier this year. By the time I arrived home from delivery it was leaning heavily. The height differential between the two sides was several inches. According to the dealership: In the best case scenario all that would be required would be computer reprogramming. In the worst case scenario, well, it would be a LOT more involved . . . .

Side note: I ditched the Jeep. It was fun to drive but the build quality (numerous rattles and squeaks) and defects (steering issues, air suspension, headlight washers to name a few) were a bit much to bear; not to mention that the Jeep service experience is deplorable (e.g., there are no loaners; sometimes Jeep will cover a rental car, but you have to place a deposit with Enterprise and pay extra if you want anything nicer than a beater). I'm happy to be back with Lexus!
Old 07-15-17, 04:42 PM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

Went and took a look at the '07 today... I was in awe of clean it was. Aside from minor scuff and marks from 10 years of driving, it is obvious this car was babied. Here are a few pics. I couldn't get more as I was too busy checking everything out. I think I'm in love lol.
Noble Spinel Mica! That car is a real winner, and I'm an impartial observer.
Old 07-15-17, 09:17 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I might be the guy that you're referring to from the Jeep Grand Cherokee forum. I bought a JGC Summit 5.7L earlier this year. By the time I arrived home from delivery it was leaning heavily. The height differential between the two sides was several inches. According to the dealership: In the best case scenario all that would be required would be computer reprogramming. In the worst case scenario, well, it would be a LOT more involved . . . .

Side note: I ditched the Jeep. It was fun to drive but the build quality (numerous rattles and squeaks) and defects (steering issues, air suspension, headlight washers to name a few) were a bit much to bear; not to mention that the Jeep service experience is deplorable (e.g., there are no loaners; sometimes Jeep will cover a rental car, but you have to place a deposit with Enterprise and pay extra if you want anything nicer than a beater). I'm happy to be back with Lexus!
The Jeep is no Lexus but we really like it. We passed on the Overland and the Summit and loaded up a Limited with everything just so we didn't have to take the 20 inch wheels and air suspension. I won't get into all the reasons why we like it so much because hey this is a Lexus LS460 forum. Lets just say it does everything way better than the antiquated 2015 4 Runner Limited we traded for it. In my opinion the updated V6 along with the 8 speed trans works better than the heavy Hemi engine. We have 13,000 miles on it in 4.5 months and bought the lifetime unlimited miles warranty for it from Mopar for $2700. Covers almost everything. $100 deductible, hard to believe I know.
Old 07-16-17, 05:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,842 Posts

I also really liked my JGCs.
Old 07-16-17, 09:04 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Levinson audio, too - nice.
ML audio or nothing! I'm spoiled by the ML audio in my 4GS so I definitely want it in the LS.

Originally Posted by irishbrahm

Yea I know air suspension systems can be fairly reliable, especially on a Lexus, but they can also be very unreliable. Like on your JGC lol.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Noble Spinel Mica! That car is a real winner, and I'm an impartial observer.
Of course you're impartial I wasn't feeling it from the pictures but it's a lovely red wine shade of red that grew on me quickly. And combined with the Cashmere interior makes a handsome combination.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I also really liked my JGCs.
I wouldn't mind a JGC... if it had an SRT badge on the back.
Old 07-16-17, 11:59 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

If you can, stretch for an 11.
Old 07-17-17, 05:38 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I wasn't feeling it from the pictures but it's a lovely red wine shade of red that grew on me quickly. And combined with the Cashmere interior makes a handsome combination.
yardie - I've been in a couple different OEM's manufacturing plants. And seen a gozillion cars go down the line. Of all the combinations, I thought a darker red and tan interior was my favorite. And I hold to that. The Nobel Spinel Mica and tan interior are fantastic on that car. I don't blame you for like it. It does look babied. Good Luck.