LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Traded LS for a BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

UDel, you're making my point for me. People should not assume they are going to be perfect because they aren't. That's my only point, buyers should not buy these cars expecting them to need as little maintenance as a $25,000 new car. I'm not saying if it should or should not be that way, but that's the way it is.

If you are worried about repair costs of air suspension, control arms, so on and so forth you should not buy an older or old LS. Not a 460, 430 or 400. It's not like the GS or ES, I know I've had them all. The suspensions are soft, soft bushings, things are designed for the best performance and ride and not for the most longevity, repairs are more costly, people see the car as a more exotic type car and charge you more too. Even Toyota dealers aren't as open to working on an LS as they are a GS or ES, again I know I've had them all. It's not just the LS, you should not buy ANY flagship car if you aren't prepared for that. Just today I saw next door to a house I was looking at an 07-10 S550 sitting in a yard on failed air suspension with no tags. There's a car still worth $20k or so, and The owners I'm sure can't afford to fix it. Never should have bought it in the first place. Bet they're still making payments!

Something as simple as an oil change, you will pay more. This car holds 10 quarts of oil! Jiffy Lube or wherever, their advertised prices don't include that much oil, they will charge you a surcharge. Won't break the bank but it's an example of what I'm talking about. An ES? The price is on the wall because it's ordinary. Any gas station will work on it.

As for what is "old". IMHO anything between 5-7 years old is older, anything 8+ years old is old. If you're accustomed to driving older and old cars then your perspective may be different, but if I had a $1,000+ repair that needed to be made on a car of mine that was 7+ years old and 100k+ miles I would not think that was excessive or unusual at all. I've owned cars that old too and made those repairs as well.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-30-17 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 11:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I think the LS engine requires less maintenance work than the 540i.
Well, if your 540 is anything like my 7 series was, that is a HUGE understatement! Same with my wife's X5.
The following users liked this post:
anthony1 (05-31-17)
Old 05-30-17, 12:04 PM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An opinion;

Just because someone can afford to buy a car, does not mean he/she/it can afford or maintain the said car.

I would imagine most people buy a car with loan or lease and some with cash. When repair comes up, its mostly cash or credit card.....

Alex.

Ok, i don't even know how to do the signature thing, so I am cutting and paste...

2014 LS460 AWD, Black with light grey/ shimamoku
Old 05-30-17, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well, if your 540 is anything like my 7 series was, that is a HUGE understatement! Same with my wife's X5.
Yeah, I would say that's the most obvious statement of the year lol
Old 05-30-17, 01:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You're taking things I've said out of context and changing the wording to try and make some sort of point. I never said any of the things I said above in the context you're implying that I did. The above are not direct quotes, you've fabricated them using pieces of what I've said to try and make your point.

I have never said that "universally buying a used Lexus is a bad idea", and I have never said "the control arm issues are such a serious problem you should avoid buying a used 460", you're just making stuff up here.

I've made this pretty clear for seemingly everybody but you, but I will attempt to make it even more clear.

*I* believe that buying a 8-9 year old (note, not "used", specifically one that is IMHO quite old) LS460 is in general, not a good idea. I think its an even worse idea if somebody is financing the car, and if they have limited resources for being able to handle repairs that come up, and will come up on any car of that age. *I* would never buy such a car especially in such a way. As I have said repeatedly I am not a used car person, and I would rather have a cheaper and lesser new or much newer car. Somebody like ricknchar is using financing as a financial management tool, he didn't finance his car because he had to. So while if I were him I wouldn't have made that purchase in that way, I don't think he's necessarily making a "mistake". If somebody is a younger person without his wealth financing the car because they have to financially and they don't understand the potential issues nor are they prepared to pay for potential repairs then I believe they are making a "mistake" buying this car, or any other car that old that is as complex as this car.

I do not believe that any of the issues the LS460 has are huge, or unusual, or excessive, nor have I ever said they are, but people have to understand that there ARE issues. If you have no money for repairs, any issue can be a huge issue. Any car as it ages will have issues, and no 9 year old car and certainly no 14 or 15 year old car, which it will be by the time a buyer has it paid off is going to be as trouble free as a new car or a 5 year old car. If people understand those issues, go for it. Roadfrog understands those issues, I assume you do, so while I would not make the purchase I don't think they are harming themselves by making the purchase. The OP of this thread harmed himself. I use Roadfrog as an example because he clearly understands the issues, he takes time sourcing parts that are inexpensive to mitigate the problems inherent to owning an older car. Literally nothing he chooses to do I would choose to do, save for his brakes which I also have. I would not purchase chinese parts on eBay, I would not buy off brand tires, I would not do any of those things but somehow he and I can disagree yet still respect each other. You don't have to agree with me, I don't care if you agree with me. Nor do I have to agree with you. You don't think the manner in which I acquired my car is a good idea, and it isn't something you would do and I'm okay with that as long as you don't insult me about it.

You seem to have an issue with my use of the term "silly", which actually makes the point for me I was trying to make by using that characterization. The reason I worded that in that way was in response to people's use of derogatory terms to describe leasing and people who lease. My point was that in my opinion their choice of vehicle and method for purchasing it is not a good idea, and I used a derogatory term to make a point, and absent the posts I was responding to deriding leasing and people who lease I never would have worded it in that way. I said it was silly to buy a car as old as the one you bought, which insulted you clearly, just as its insulting for me to read people telling me I'm stupid for leasing a car.
After 3 replies you still haven't clarified or bolstered your position in any way.

Its just backtracking and flip flopping and muddying the waters even further.

It was you who said buying a used Lexus was "silly" , and a "bad idea" , and here ive taken a direct quote from one of your old posts.

"There is absolutely no reason to be afraid of the LS460 lol. It's the most reliable flagship luxury sedan you can buy" -SW15LS

Your new positon claiming that the 460 is a bad idea to buy used is ONLY because someone made a general, yet negative comment about leasing, you took it personally and now you are going to try to start being negative about those who buy used..... again, this is all about your ego and not about the cars.

With all due respect you drive a Kia and are considering a Hyundai as a replacement for your 460........a lot of your car based opinions and decisions are way off in left field in my opinion.
Old 05-30-17, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the LS460 is the most reliable used luxury flagship you can buy. No it is not as reliable or inexpensive to maintain as a car that is not a flagship luxury car. I expect to pay more to
maintain my LS than I did my ESs or my GS, and I paid more to maintain the LS400 and LS430 than those cars too. Buy whatever you want, I'm entitled to my opinions and you can have yours. I'm going to share mine where it's of value whether you like it or not.

Enough, my position seems to be clear to everybody other than you. It's clear you've got a hard on for me, as I said before if you don't want to read what I post, put me on your ignore list. You say this is about my ego, I would question who's ego this is really about lol.

As for my Kia, yeah I've got a Kia and it's a well built car, better in several ways than the Lexus products I've owned recently including the LS460. The LS has several interior rattles I'm tracking down, one in the center console that I've disassembled the console and put foam in to combat (with limited success) and I have one somewhere behind me I need to track down. Kia has no rattles despite being beat on way harder than the LS which is babied. My GS and my 2010 ES also had interior rattles. LS400, LS430 and ES300 had no rattles even after many years and 100k+ miles. My LS460, GS350 and ES350 all developed rattles before 30,000 miles. Not good.

So yeah, I might just get a Genesis G90 next time. If you're not open to other possibilities that's your loss.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-30-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 01:48 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes, the LS460 is the most reliable used luxury flagship you can buy. No it is not as reliable or inexpensive to maintain as a car that is not a flagship luxury car. Buy whatever you want, I'm entitled to my opinions and you can have yours.

Enough, my position seems to be clear to everybody other than you. It's clear you've got a hard on for me, as I said before if you don't want to read what I post, put me on your ignore list. You say this is about my ego, I would question who's ego this is really about lol.

As for my Kia, yeah I've got a Kia and it's a well built car, better in several ways than the Lexus products I've owned recently including the LS460. The LS has several interior rattles I'm tracking down, one in the center console that I've disassembled the console and put foam in to combat (with limited success) and I have one somewhere behind me I need to track down. Kia has no rattles despite being beat on way harder than the LS which is babied. My GS and my 2010 ES also had interior rattles. LS400, LS430 and ES300 had no rattles even after many years and 100k+ miles. My LS460, GS350 and ES350 all developed rattles before 30,000 miles. Not good.

So yeah, I might just get a Genesis G90 next time. If you're not open to other possibilities that's your loss.
I like the fact you post here a lot and being opinionated is a good thing too, but I do disagree with you on many things and theres no harm in debating it.

One thing id like to say though, is that there is no reason to keep calling on Roadfrog anytime you are in a debate, you should be able to defend your positon alone.
Old 05-30-17, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Disagree all you want, but you don't simply disagree with me you attack me on a personal level calling me a "flawed person" and whatever such nonsense and that's not okay, we're both grown people (assumably) and I'm not going to put up with that. I'm happy to discuss things with you and talk with you but I'm not going to be ridden and attacked constantly which is how it's been from you lately. If you continue to do that I'm going to put you on my ignore list myself. I'm done talking about this with you in this thread.

As for Roadfrog, huh? I call on Roadfrog?! I used him as an example. Again, childish bull**** and I'm not interested in it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-30-17 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 04:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Apparently Steve's statements were clear to everyone but you. Taking his several paragraphs and turning them into 3 sentences out of context, isn't fair and is completely inaccurate, only to fail at bolstering your argument. Enough already. Be civil for Pete's sake. This forum is a nice little corner of the automotive internet world and personal attacks aren't cool.
Old 05-30-17, 04:38 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think the rattles would be covered under a warranty if it was in effect? Thanks.
Old 05-30-17, 04:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rgs92
Do you think the rattles would be covered under a warranty if it was in effect? Thanks.
No doubt, and it is under warranty. I'm going to try and address them myself just out of fear of the dealer making it worse, damaging panels, etc. Ultimately though I will take it in. Shouldn't have to though on this car.

And no I did not solicit Roadfrog's post above lol
Old 05-30-17, 05:20 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

People were thinking I was crazy when I said I don't recommend most people buy these cars when they are old, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The expectation that any 8 year old car would be "trouble free", whether its sold by Lexus or not, is not realistic. The fact that we're discussing payment costs on a vehicle this complex and this age, this member should never have purchased an 8 year old LS460. The CPO BMW 3 Series with a warranty is a much better buy for this sort of buyer.

If somebody can do repairs themselves, is comfortable sourcing aftermarket parts, is paying cash or if taking a loan understands that there are going to be repairs. This is not a car purchase where you can make the payments and that will be your fixed ongoing cost for driving the car. That buyer needs to be in a new or CPO car where he has a warranty and can enjoy the security of knowing "I pay $X a month and thats what it costs me to drive this car". Unfortunately this member took a loss to make that discovery, I hope others will read this and think twice.

Its a great car, the most reliable flagship luxury car by far, but they aren't perfect, and to buy one that old and expect it to be problem free is not realistic.
First off i'm going to jump in here are state that I don't appreciate your condescending tone on this post and subsequent posts to myself along with other members of this community who are purchasing older LS cars and choose to take advantage of the 0.9% apr on a 60 month loan, which allows me to keep my resources tied up in other investments yielding well over this sum; netting a positive investment to my portfolio. I will say that I have a 3 car garage.. the LS was parked outside as my beater/commuter.

Additionally, I don't owe you an explanation of any sort but I will explain my logic to the community as a whole: This car was the cheapest car on the market at $15,350 with reasonable miles and sold at a Lexus dealer. As with any non warrantied car you have inherent risks but after buying and selling over 60 cars in the last 10 years I've developed generally good eye for what to usually look for, and Lexus wouldn't sell you a complete lemon right ?!?... plus they provided a free 3 month powertrain warranty just in case. Since this car had hit the plateau of the depreciation curve this eliminates the majority of the ownership costs.

In short I purchased the Lexus because these cars were supposed to be nearly trouble free for well over 300k miles, therefore I expected to drive away with a reliable and comfortable car with standard maintenance costs that had little to no depreciation costs. This was not the case for me...
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (05-30-17)
Old 05-30-17, 05:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wakebord99
First off i'm going to jump in here are state that I don't appreciate your condescending tone on this post and subsequent posts to myself along with other members of this community who are purchasing older LS cars and choose to take advantage of the 0.9% apr on a 60 month loan, which allows me to keep my resources tied up in other investments yielding well over this sum; netting a positive investment to my portfolio.
I totally understand that you don't appreciate "the tone". Same as I don't appreciate the condescension and tone that I and others who choose to buy new cars and lease new cars continually get from people on the forum when we discuss that topic and those purchases. The fact that you don't appreciate "the tone" was the point of me using "the tone" in the first place.

Additionally, I don't owe you an explanation of any sort but I will explain my logic to the community as a whole: This car was the cheapest car on the market at $15,350 with reasonable miles and sold at a Lexus dealer. As with any non warrantied car you have inherent risks but after buying and selling over 60 cars in the last 10 years I've developed generally good eye for what to usually look for, and Lexus wouldn't sell you a complete lemon right ?!?... plus they provided a free 3 month powertrain warranty just in case. Since this car had hit the plateau of the depreciation curve this eliminates the majority of the ownership costs.

In short I purchased the Lexus because these cars were supposed to be nearly trouble free for well over 300k miles, therefore I expected to drive away with a reliable and comfortable car with standard maintenance costs that had little to no depreciation costs. This was not the case for me
Oy...not even sure where to start. You just had completely unrealistic expectations from the start, and you bought a crappy example which amplified the problem. You chose to buy an old car that was admittedly the least expensive one you could find, and what you wound up with was a car that suffered from the most common ailment these cars suffer from, knowledge of which you would have had if you had done even the slightest bit of research on the vehicle you were about to purchase. Literally, all you had to do was read page 1 of the CL LS460 forum. That is not a fault of the vehicle in question, its your fault that you didn't do your due diligence before jumping into that purchase. Why do you think that car was the least expensive one you could find? Because it needed control arms!

I've owned a lot of Lexus vehicles, they are very reliable, but they will not be "nearly trouble free for well over 300k miles". That is a cliche, NO vehicle will need no repairs for well over 300k miles. FYI, if you bought an older Lexus, you would have replaced 3 timing belts before you reached 300,000 miles at a cost of $1,300 or so a pop, so $3,900. Theres your control arm replacement right there and then some. You bought into a tagline, such as "lighting never strikes the same place twice"...well...it can... "Lexus cars will last well over 300,000 miles with very little repairs" is not an absolute certainty by far. You chose to buy the cheapest LS460 on the market and thats what you got, a cheap old car that needed work.

These are very expensive cars, they're complex and have expensive parts. No matter how reliable they are, they will cost you money if you own them for hundreds of thousands of miles. The LS460 will cost you less than any other flagship luxury car (S Class, 7 Series, Jag XJ, A8, so on), but it will cost you more than say an ES350 to drive for 300,000 miles.
Old 05-30-17, 06:10 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I'm not trying to speak for him but I think he had control arm issues , and I think hes right that the AWD models don't have much aftermarket support.

A lot of the control arm, Ca bushings and coilovers that ive been looking at for my car all specifically say that it wont fit the AWD models.

Other then control arms and the stuttering issue I cant find any inherent serious flaws in these cars, and even buying used I don't think people would have any significant costs other then basic maintenance and keeping gas in the tank .
My car: 2009 LS460 AWD with Air suspension at 133k miles

Here are my issues with the car that I sold:
1- Engine knocking sound
2- Lower control arms
3- Upper control arms
4- Hesitation upon acceleration
5- Audio through audio jack too quiet
6- Needed new tires
7- Excessive force required to hold car @ stop w/ac on
8- Floaty and uncontrolled ride
9- Shuttering when turning at low speeds

I purchased the car expecting a degree of maintenance as no used car is ever perfect. I am also willing to perform smaller repairs myself. In the 3 months I owned it I replaced brake pads, spark plugs, oil, and an oil control valve. I'm willing/able to do the research to find acceptable alternative parts in the aftermarket when the Lexus part is unreasonably priced. Ultimately the cost to have an independent shop repair just #2/3 with Lexus parts (good alts not available) I was looking at $3k and that left me with a car with 6 other issues all of which (especially #1) can cost a fair bit to resolve. Let's just hypothetically say I fix everything for $5k above, now throw that into a 2 year term before I need to make similar repairs and I've just added $200 per month to the cost of ownership nearly doubling the total monthly cost of the car.

For those who say that you should expect a car to need some maintenance, I agree. You buy certain cars knowing what you’re getting into. My Ferrari requires $14,000 in maintenance every 2 years but that is something you know going in. I bought this to be a glorified Toyota Avalon. The perception of the LS from everyone in the car community, and those in the Gen 1-3 LS forms, is that 130k miles is just the breaking-in period for an LS. And that once you get a few minor items ironed out the car will last you forever. In my case, and apparently the case with many others on this form who don't drive a new LS every 3 years (and some that do), is that the LS is not nearly as trouble free as the perception leads you to believe.

For those who are interested in more details about the issues and estimated costs I will continue below:

1- Engine knocking sound: This was starting to concern me greatly. I was looking for community support via the thread below and ultimately couldn’t find an acceptable solution. The sound got worse with each passing day and ultimately I couldn’t risk there being an engine failure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ine-knock.html

Ideas on what could have caused this noise ranged from a VVT/Oil Control Valve, to the VVT Sprockets in the front of the head, to the lifters, to the valves. I replaced the single cheapest part above at a cost of $25 and added 20% Lucas oil additive both without any luck. Each of the remaining items ranged between $750 and $5,000. None of the techs who looked at the car could identify a definitive cause so it was going to be a case of replace parts until they find the problem.

2- Lower control arms: Lexus parts4806X/486X0 at $1,000 for both sides + 6 hours labor

3- Upper control arms: Lexus parts 486X0 (4x) at $1,400 for both sides + 6 hours labor + alignment

4- Hesitation upon acceleration: Lexus claimed my car had up-to-date ECM software therefore TSB doesn’t apply. Tried cleaning the MAF sensors, replacing spark plugs, changing oil with no luck. May be related to #1 but unsure. O2 Sensors? $240ea x 6 Fuel filter? $400+ Unsure but with no codes it would have been a replace and wish scenario to resolve.

5- Audio through audio jack too quiet: This is a design flaw with the ML system cars. I tried both Bluetooth audio and plugging directly into the jack. To listen to audio books or podcasts I had to turn the volume up to 45+ on the highway after turning the source up. I don’t know if any reasonable sum of money would be able to resolve this issue.

6- Needed new tires: Tires were loud and unevenly warn due to #2/3 above. Maintenance yes but it was still going to be required before the winter at a cost of around $600

7- Excessive force required to hold car @ stop w/ac on: With AC off my car idled at 400 rpm. With AC on my car idled at 750 rpm. That extra 350 rpm meant the torque converter was partially engaging the transmission and would require a firm foot to hold the car still. I replaced the brake pads and bled the lines but no luck. Unknown if this is a design flaw or an issue with my transmission, either way not worth fixing.

8- Floaty and uncontrolled ride: With the air suspension the car would ride amazing around town, smoothest car I’ve ever owned. However around any sort of corner or at highway speeds above 80 mph the car would become extremely floaty. When I first realized how the car was taking corners I assumed that there was no front sway bar in the car, but to my surprise there is a huge one there. You can put it in sport suspension mode but all that does is firm the ride up to where bumps are too harsh and never makes the car feel playful or inspire confidence that if you needed to brake/veer out of a lane at highway speeds that the car would do what your asking it to.

9- Shuttering when turning at low speeds: This is also a well-documented TSB. I went to Lexus to buy their “magic” fluid and it costs $135 per qt. Our cars require 3.5 qts for the differential, but to make matters worse the dealer required that you put the fluid in 3 times, flushing between each fill. This means the total cost would have been over $1,800 to resolve.

I caution absolutely anyone who enjoys keeping their money from purchasing one of these cars as an older vehicle. Perhaps I just ended up with a car that has nearly every single problem (except the melting doors) all in one, but based on the threads I’ve read these problems are becoming more and more common as you reach 7+ years old on the AWD models.
Old 05-30-17, 06:21 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

Cool

You just had completely unrealistic expectations from the start, and you bought a crappy example which amplified the problem. You chose to buy an old car that was admittedly the least expensive one you could find, and what you wound up with was a car that suffered from the most common ailment these cars suffer from, knowledge of which you would have had if you had done even the slightest bit of research on the vehicle you were about to purchase. Literally, all you had to do was read page 1 of the CL LS460 forum...

I've owned a lot of Lexus vehicles, they are very reliable, but they will not be "nearly trouble free for well over 300k miles". That is a cliche, NO vehicle will need no repairs for well over 300k miles. FYI, if you bought an older Lexus, you would have replaced 3 timing belts before you reached 300,000 miles...
I just want to reiterate what an amazing human being you sound like, and how you are literally providing my point with these quotes..

Here you are cautioning the LS community that you should expect an indeterminate amount of maintenance costs, expect countless problems, and that the LS cars are basically falling apart. Here is the person you all look up to.. not a good example of the community that I have come to respect.

Also you gloriously knowledgeable and smug little person.. our cars do not have a timing belt they have a timing chain with no service interval.

Quick Reply: Traded LS for a BMW