LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: the hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off
Is this a manufacture defect problem
62.50%
has this problem happened to your vehicle
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 07:16 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I wonder how much it would cost to have the rims pulled, scrapped/cleaned up and re-painted....
IMO, if you're going to go through that trouble then just have them media blasted and powder coated. The only slight issue is that they may not able to perfectly match the color of the center cap but I bet they could get real close. You wouldn't have to worry about bubbling with powder coat and brake dust should wipe right off.

Another option if money is an issue and depending on the color of the car, you could use use a wire wheel or something similar to get the bubbling off and then use plasti-dip spray. You're limited on colors though. Personally I would only go that route if money was an issue. I'm just throwing it out there as another idea.
Old 05-12-17, 07:55 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
IMO, if you're going to go through that trouble then just have them media blasted and powder coated. The only slight issue is that they may not able to perfectly match the color of the center cap but I bet they could get real close. You wouldn't have to worry about bubbling with powder coat and brake dust should wipe right off.

Another option if money is an issue and depending on the color of the car, you could use use a wire wheel or something similar to get the bubbling off and then use plasti-dip spray. You're limited on colors though. Personally I would only go that route if money was an issue. I'm just throwing it out there as another idea.
Isn't the plasti-dip spray thing a TEMP thing. As it peels right off... I know it's a cheaper option to go, just wondering if it would hold up, or one day during a oddball week when I dont have time, it will start ripping off and have a really crappy looking wheel till I can fix it..

So, riddle me this, getting them powder coated...How much would that cost, I am thinking well over $1K, and if I am even looking that way, I would just buy new wheeels. The thing is, I dont want to spend $1k on wheels right now.

I dont mind the OEM look of the wheels (like the OP has) but, a nice gunmetal grey would be a nice color (so a darker grey) and I bet would look hot on my car....
Old 05-12-17, 08:46 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Isn't the plasti-dip spray thing a TEMP thing. As it peels right off... I know it's a cheaper option to go, just wondering if it would hold up, or one day during a oddball week when I dont have time, it will start ripping off and have a really crappy looking wheel till I can fix it..

So, riddle me this, getting them powder coated...How much would that cost, I am thinking well over $1K, and if I am even looking that way, I would just buy new wheeels. The thing is, I dont want to spend $1k on wheels right now.

I dont mind the OEM look of the wheels (like the OP has) but, a nice gunmetal grey would be a nice color (so a darker grey) and I bet would look hot on my car....
I personally have not used plasti-dip on my wheels but I had a 5th Gen Camaro for about 5 years and was heavily involved in their forums during that time. There were several people that would just tape off the tires and apply plasti-dip. From what I remember they were having good success with it sticking. I'm sure, as with just about anything, it is all in how well you prepped the wheel. I also remember that those that did get an occasional flaw it was an easy touch up. You would need to do some research before going that route but I will say it's cheap and easily reversible if you decided against it, just peel it off.

Powder coating, I couldn't give you a quote, you would have to find someone in your area and talk to them. You would need to remove the tires, valve stems, sensors, etc.before doing so. It's also going to depend on the color. Colors like black, white, or maybe even silver that are common colors will be thrown in with batches of other stuff being coated that color as apposed to say orange (at one time I was going to have an engine coated chevy orange) that is not common and would take more time to prep and clean the gun.

From parts I've had done in the past I've found powder coating to be reasonably cost effective but again it all depends on who is coating, the color, the size of the part, and if you will need them to media blasted clean. Once it's done though it should be pretty solid barring anything that would chip it like curb rash or when you have tires installed. Find a powder coater in your area and get a quote.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (05-12-17)
Old 05-12-17, 09:57 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

he's from canada.. probably road salt..

salt would do that to ANY car.. Lambo's included

wait... maybe not.. with CF.. hmmm...
Old 05-12-17, 10:32 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I had this with my LS too. I bought used ones from someone who had taken them off. I forget what I paid, but it was less than $400 for 4 new wheels.

It is 10yrs old. I expect things like this on a 10yr old car.