LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Did anyone look at a Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 09:15 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Did anyone look at a Tesla?

Curious if anyone owns or cross-shopped a Tesla with the LS? MSRP-wise they are similar when new so just curious on your thoughts of how the two of them stack up or, arguably, not even compare to each other given some of the fundamental differences between the two...
Old 04-11-17, 09:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

At the international auto show in Vancouver, I sat in one and poked around. I was amazed at the tech and goodies, but rather shocked at how cheap the materials and fit and finish were. I guess the explanation being that it was necessary for weight savings, given the heft of the car.
Old 04-11-17, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Teslas are cool, awesome to drive...but inside they are nowhere near as nice as other cars at that price point...including the LS and certainly the S Class, 7 Series, etc.

Its a different target market though. The tech advantages of the Tesla either appeal to you or they don't, I don't really care, and the interior is a lot more important to me.
Old 04-13-17, 05:11 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

I looked at the Model S very seriously. I really liked it- the performance is out of this world and I found the car comfortable to drive (I did about a 45 minute test drive on 2 separate occasions). I'm in sales and drive quite a bit (sometimes up to 1,000 miles per week) and get reimbursed at government rate for mileage, so my thought was if I put about $30k down on the Tesla and got my payments to $1k/month, the amount I'm reimbursed on an average month would actually cover the car payment (since I would have no gas expense or traditional maintenance expense). In essence I was relatively certain I could get a $90k-$100k car for about $30k.

What held me back is the 300 mile range and the need to occasionally plan some charging time around my appointment schedule. I also drive through some rural areas and wasn't sure of the overall charger availability through parts of the rural southeast. One reason I opted to buy a 2010 LS (older than I planned to buy) was so I could grab it cheap after max depreciation and plan to keep it 3-4 years and likely make the move to a Tesla at that point. I was really impressed.
Old 04-15-17, 06:42 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

two words describe the major flaw i saw in the Tesla...."Road Trips"... if i cant drive it for leisure too.. i cant buy it.. this is a really expensive way to make the daily commute. which the only reason "i" see to ever buy one.
Old 04-15-17, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Depends on where you road trip. Up and down 95 for instance they have supercharger stations, etc. For instance several times a year I go to southern WV and I'd be hosed.

Although I did see one on 81 down in the Shenandoah Valley one time when I was on that trip, and I thought he was pretty brave lol.
Old 04-16-17, 05:04 AM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

About a year ago we test drove a Model S because my wife loves the look of the car. I do like the car's styling and the large display screen. The acceleration is great with instant torque. The interior quality is not what I would expect in a $100K car. However the real disappointment was how noisy the car was on the highway. It was winter time and I thought the car had snow tires, but it didn't. At speed it was not as quiet as my LS.

I don't think we would have bought it (which I was happy about) because as much as my wife loved the car, she was deathly afraid of running out of juice. She is the type of person who gets panicky if her gas gauge hits half full. The thought of the battery running out was just too anxiety provoking for her.
Old 04-16-17, 05:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I agree, they are not quiet at all.
Old 04-16-17, 10:17 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The back seats are also very uncomfortable. Overall, I think the interior of the Model S is quite inferior vs the competition. Same holds true for the $130k Model X. Also lots of road noise.
Old 04-16-17, 11:31 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
The back seats are also very uncomfortable. Overall, I think the interior of the Model S is quite inferior vs the competition. Same holds true for the $130k Model X. Also lots of road noise.
I've always seen Tesla more as an EV barrier breaker than a car I'd like to own. Once luxury car makers see that luxury EV's or other alternative fuel vehicles, such as those powered by hydrogen cells, have a viable place in the marketplace, we will see great interiors and better soundproofing.

I give Elon Musk much credit for what he's done, even though I won't likely ever own a Tesla.
Old 04-18-17, 07:56 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

When I drive up the road to eat at a local sandwich shop, I see several Tesla's at the charge station. That is enough to keep me from wanting one until they can go over 1000 miles on an charge.
Old 04-18-17, 08:32 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree. I love the idea, love the use of electronics, but I need to be able to go at least 1000 miles. A small gas engine to charge while driving would be ideal. I think thats how the Fisker was..Not 100% sure.

Been driving around in this for the next couple weeks, and it has a 3cyl turbo gas engine that can charge the batteries. It is nice, but not worth the price.

Old 04-18-17, 10:10 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I agree. I love the idea, love the use of electronics, but I need to be able to go at least 1000 miles. A small gas engine to charge while driving would be ideal. I think thats how the Fisker was..Not 100% sure.

Been driving around in this for the next couple weeks, and it has a 3cyl turbo gas engine that can charge the batteries. It is nice, but not worth the price.

Eek what the hell did they do to it? Wrap it in satin and highlight with orange?
Old 04-20-17, 08:29 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

I got my '04 LS430 from a buddy of mine who bought the Tesla. He has had it for a couple years now and the novelty has worn of now. It's got killer torque but to me the interior is no where near the LS, especially for a $100k car.
Old 04-21-17, 06:39 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

fyi all rapid battery charging decreases battery life.. an estimated 40%.. so if batt life is 10 yrs.. you're now looking to replace it in 6.... dont get me wrong i understand the desire for an electric car..i just think they need much better range to be useful. because a 5hr rd trip is now 8hrs or longer....

Quick Reply: Did anyone look at a Tesla?