LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Painting Grille Black To Resemble Nightfall Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 09:29 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts
Question Painting Grille Black To Resemble Nightfall Edition

EDIT: I started this thread to get advice and opinions on painting the grille of my 2014 LS460L black. Thanks to all who responded. I have since added new information and pictures on the painting process and the results. Hope you find this stuff useful!

Hi folks, I need some advice by Wednesday morning. My car is in the shop to get the grille painted a glossy black to resemble the look of the 2017 Nightfall edition.

2017 Nightfall

My original plan was to paint only the chrome pieces (slats) on the grille to make the Lexus emblem pop. But when my paint guy removed the grille, it became clear that the piece marked "X" that currently has a "dark bronzed (but not black)" look should also be painted for a clean black look. There is a bronzed edge around the chrome grille that runs all the way around just to the inside of the shiny chrome spindle surround. It may look odd if this bronzed edge is painted black only at the level of the chrome grille, and not along the entire spindle.

I have to tell the paint shop by tomorrow morning whether to paint this piece (X) or not. Prepping and painting this piece is not much more work or expense. The only catch is it is covered in clear 3M protecting film. The guy said it won't be a problem taking it off and painting the piece, but I should get it covered again at some point.

1) Does anyone know how much it would cost to re-protect this part?

2) Would you paint this part black or keep as is?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Last edited by comotiger; 01-26-17 at 08:12 AM. Reason: title revised at the request of thread originator
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (12-25-19)
Old 01-24-17, 02:57 AM
twin703
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Black it all out that 3m protectant is just a wrap so any on who wraps cars can do it. It should be about 100 another option would to be get it wrapped black instead of paint then you can always peal it back off to go back to stock color, where are you located ?
comotiger (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 04:46 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twin703
Black it all out that 3m protectant is just a wrap so any on who wraps cars can do it. It should be about 100 another option would to be get it wrapped black instead of paint then you can always peal it back off to go back to stock color, where are you located ?
Thanks, twin703. I am also leaning toward painting it all black. I considered wrapping in black, but a number of shops said that due to the complex shape of the grille slats, the wrap would not work well or be durable. I also did not want to Plastidip because it leaves a rough and matte finish.

This comparison between an F-sport and regular 460 highlights the difference in the black and bronze colors of the bumper part (X). I also think it will look better blacked out.

Last edited by comotiger; 01-24-17 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-24-17, 06:16 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Like Mick Jagger said: "Paint it Black"
comotiger (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 06:19 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Like Mick Jagger said: "Paint it Black"
Thanks, Chuck, I have taken the plunge! I will post a detailed thread in a few days. Hopefully, it will look as good as the Nightfall edition.
Old 01-24-17, 02:49 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree! do it all in black. Having those parts bronze will look funny in my opinion. Also defeats the whole purpose of blacking it out like the F sport. Will give it a cleaner look. The clear bra shouldn't be expensive at all to re apply. All tint shops in my area do it. It is a good idea to have that for rock chips which that area is prone to. I think it's going to look great when it's all done. Can't wait to see pics!
comotiger (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 03:35 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks, LS430L! I am picking up the car tomorrow. The paint guy has been sending me pics, and I am anxious to see the results in person! I had to choose the level of gloss, and hopefully it is not too shiny!
Old 01-24-17, 07:52 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks, LS430L! I am picking up the car tomorrow. The paint guy has been sending me pics, and I am anxious to see the results in person! I had to choose the level of gloss, and hopefully it is not too shiny!
If I remember correctly the ones at the dealer were pretty shiny so good choice going with paint over plastidip. Its going to give the car a whole new look.

P.s. Hoping to tackle installing the mudguards this weekend
Old 01-25-17, 05:57 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Once you go black you'll never go back! Do it!
comotiger (01-25-17)
Old 01-25-17, 06:10 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430FL
If I remember correctly the ones at the dealer were pretty shiny so good choice going with paint over plastidip. Its going to give the car a whole new look.
P.s. Hoping to tackle installing the mudguards this weekend
. Hope the mudguards could be painted on nicely. Good luck with the install!

Originally Posted by R Z
Once you go black you'll never go back! Do it!
LOL.
Old 01-25-17, 11:08 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm generally not big on these kind of things, but ... I think that's going to look GOOOOOOD. It WILL make the Lexus emblem POP, just like you mentioned.
Old 01-25-17, 07:11 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Default Painting the Grille

Hi folks,

Here are some pics taken when the grille was taken apart and prepped for painting. The work was done by Brad who has worked at a collision center for over 20 years. He does small jobs like this one on the side, and the body shop allows him to use their equipment. Brad came highly recommended by two guys who own a PDR shop and a car audio shop. Brad checked with a Lexus service center and made sure there won't be any issues with the DRCC sensor/receiver (behind the Lexus emblem) when he took the grille and front end apart.

The next two pics show damage to the top corners of the grille housing where an LED strip had been glued by the previous owner. There was similar damage at the bottom of the housing.

The next two pics show the grille sanded and ready for priming. They were sanded by hand.

Brad did not take any pics during the painting process. He used an epoxy coat for best adhesion, followed by a urethane coat for top coat adhesion. He then applied 3 coats of waterborne basecoat (black stock color), followed by two coats of 25% coat reduction clear coat.
Chaos236 (05-16-18)
Old 01-25-17, 07:23 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Talking The money shots...

BEFORE pics. One has the LED strip attached.

AFTER. I didn't do a full gloss. It's reduced 25%.

Total cost for painting the grille $220. I also had to rent a car at the collision center for 2 days ($50 total). No complimentary loaner because this is a job that Brad was doing on the side. I was fine with that.

Overall, I am absolutely thrilled with the results . I think it is pretty close to the Nightfall look. What do y'all think??

Last edited by comotiger; 01-25-17 at 09:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by comotiger:
KING (07-17-18), russtayy (03-17-23)
Old 01-26-17, 04:37 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Looks good!
comotiger (01-26-17)
Old 01-26-17, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I like it! My only question is the slightly more matte look vs the full gloss.
comotiger (01-26-17)

Quick Reply: Painting Grille Black To Resemble Nightfall Edition