LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

12V Power to Smartphone

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 03:56 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
The beauty of the IF mirroring kit is that it includes a DVD/Nav bypass module that is also sold separately. With the Vaistech phone kit (iVIC6), you still have to get the Nav Bypass kit separately. And I don't think you will be able to use Google maps. Some of you may remember my thread about this from a while back.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-2014-ls.html
Unfortunately, the point appears moot for those of us who have pre-2013 LS460's. I think one can use Google Maps with the iVIC-6DR, but it works best with a phone that's compatible with an MHL to HDMI adapter. Unfortunately, most current smartphones no longer have this feature, but even if they did, IIRC Android 5.1 somehow blocked the functionality.
Old 01-18-17, 05:15 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
Unfortunately, the point appears moot for those of us who have pre-2013 LS460's. I think one can use Google Maps with the iVIC-6DR, but it works best with a phone that's compatible with an MHL to HDMI adapter. Unfortunately, most current smartphones no longer have this feature, but even if they did, IIRC Android 5.1 somehow blocked the functionality.
Yeah, it's too bad about the display adaptors. That leaves you with only the Grom VLine option. It seems to work well for some, others have had issues.
Old 01-18-17, 05:32 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Good info on this thread. Appreciated. I'm scheduled to receive the Vent Clip Mount today, and the 12V to 5V transformer pigtail wire tomorrow. Tonight, I may remove the OHC and go ahead and splice into the mirror tap wire for the V1 to establish my switched 12V power supply. I dislike tapping wires. I would solder, but I have no solder kit and don't want to purchase one, just for this.

Once I'm done, I'll get some pictures up. I have the driver A-Pillar cover removed, and the left IP cover removed at this time. Let me tell you, there's only 1 pillar clip to remove, and it is a female dog, to get out. I left the clip in the A-Pillar cover, and pried the clip base out of the A-Pillar. It did not want to come out. I did damage the clip, but I think it will go back in OK. This install is going to be as clean as I can make it, without drilling, gluing, or suction cupping.
Old 01-18-17, 06:34 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Jason, what vent clip mount did you buy?
Old 01-18-17, 07:25 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a cheapie, but it will do what I need, why buy more? It also states that it won't scratch the vent. Let's hope. And that was a selling point for me. No scratching.

Jason
Old 01-18-17, 09:03 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check out the magnet phone holders, it's getting very popular in my industry. cheap! find the right one that suits your needs.
Old 01-20-17, 07:57 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

In a pinch, use this cool device! Very high tech!

Old 01-20-17, 08:38 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GR6RR
check out the magnet phone holders, it's getting very popular in my industry. cheap! find the right one that suits your needs.
I liked that idea to use a magnet. So here at work I tested it. My current phone won't stick to a magnet, except for near the top (back). And not very well even there.

I suffered a 1 day delay to get my power cord. I may have pictures this evening. I routed the micro b through the IP side panel vent. Works pretty good. And the vent mount is applied. I don't like that it blocks off the vent (although I did know this would be the case). But since I have plenty more vents, I'll live. And it does keep the rest of the car cleaner looking, that passengers would see.

Jason
Old 01-23-17, 10:05 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Default End Result

Well, it's not the most sophisticated appearance. But it is well hidden from everyone but me. And ... IT WORKS!

Yeah yeah, I know my phone is all busted up. I have a new one coming in about a month or so.

Old 01-23-17, 11:03 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Magnet mounts come with a stick on metal piece, or you can just place the metal piece between your phone and a protector case, if you have one.

you got what you need though, from the looks of the picture.

is that your current phone? time for an upgrade...
Old 01-23-17, 01:45 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Yes, that's my old crusty phone. I will have a new one in 30 days. And, with this mount, it is universal. No need to stick anything onto anything. My next phone will work with this mount no problem and no modifications.
Old 01-23-17, 02:58 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Well, it's not the most sophisticated appearance. But it is well hidden from everyone but me. And ... IT WORKS!
Yeah yeah, I know my phone is all busted up. I have a new one coming in about a month or so.
Looking good, Jason! Have you had any issues with the dangling charging cable when you unplug the phone and exit the vehicle. Since that wire comes out from the side of the dash, does the business end get sandwiched between the door and the dash when you shut the door after exiting? Some of the Proclip holders have a mounting base into which the charging cable is inserted, so the wire will not dangle even after unplugging the phone.
Old 01-25-17, 05:52 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Looking good, Jason! Have you had any issues with the dangling charging cable when you unplug the phone and exit the vehicle. Since that wire comes out from the side of the dash, does the business end get sandwiched between the door and the dash when you shut the door after exiting? Some of the Proclip holders have a mounting base into which the charging cable is inserted, so the wire will not dangle even after unplugging the phone.
Sorry - Been busy. The wire dangles if I forget. But I've only forgotten to notice it once. The bidness end of the wire didn't get between the IP side and door trim. But a lot more wire got stuck in there. With just the wire in there, it affects nothing. I doubt the connector would hurt anything either.

But when I leave the vehicle and disconnect the phone, it just so happens that the Micro B connector fits real nice in between the vents, as in the picture. So that's what I do with it. Closing the door doesn't pull it out. No ... I don't like this approach, but it works, until I find a better solution. However, if something works, I generally don't actively look for a better solution.
Old 01-25-17, 06:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Sorry - Been busy. The wire dangles if I forget. But I've only forgotten to notice it once. The bidness end of the wire didn't get between the IP side and door trim. But a lot more wire got stuck in there. With just the wire in there, it affects nothing. I doubt the connector would hurt anything either.
But when I leave the vehicle and disconnect the phone, it just so happens that the Micro B connector fits real nice in between the vents, as in the picture. So that's what I do with it. Closing the door doesn't pull it out. No ... I don't like this approach, but it works, until I find a better solution. However, if something works, I generally don't actively look for a better solution.
Brilliant! But if you get tired of this solution, you can check out the Proclip vent mount for the LS460 (#854497). It won't block the vent, and if you pair it with a Samsung holder that has a mount in the base to plug in the microB connector, you won't have the dangling problem either.
Old 01-25-17, 09:44 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdizave
Anker makes a nice CD slot mount:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Univers.../dp/B01GNOEZB6

This is only good if you don't use the CD player any more. Might be out of your line of sight like you're looking for but its close to the lighter there for easy power with a short cord.
Same one, it works really good doesn't block anything I love it.

Quick Reply: 12V Power to Smartphone