LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

what floor jack or lift to use for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 05:32 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Default what floor jack or lift to use for LS460

Wonder what floor jack or lift do you guys use when working on the LS460,
seems it has to be a low profile jack to go under the car to the jack point in the front,
The jack i have is the "4 ton Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump", which can only be used to jack up the car on the side behind front wheels.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-s...ump-68056.html

for a low profile floor jack, I'm considering:

2 ton Low Profile/Long Reach Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-68050.html
or:
3 ton Low Profile Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-l...ump-61253.html

which one to choose for the LS460?
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-15-16, 06:30 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally, I own the 3 ton low profile jack.
Obviously the lo-pro is needed because this car sits relatively low to the ground.
I purchased mine from HF back in 2014 and have never had a problem with it.
Works great and jacks the heavy LS with no issue what so ever.
To jack up the front end and lift both tires simultaneously, I place the jack plate directly below the cross member area, then place my stand in the appropriate locations behind the front tires.
The 2 ton looks great.
What really sold me on the 3 ton at the time, was that I happen to catch it on sale for $74.99, great deal for a great jack.
The following users liked this post:
Kevmo707 (12-27-16)
Old 12-15-16, 06:41 AM
texas008
Advanced

Thanks a lot for the input, that sounds great, guess I'll get the 3-ton low profile floor jack.
HF is having a 25% sale now, so the 3-ton floor jack is on sale again for $74.99.

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Personally, I own the 3 ton low profile jack.
Obviously the lo-pro is needed because this car sits relatively low to the ground.
I purchased mine from HF back in 2014 and have never had a problem with it.
Works great and jacks the heavy LS with no issue what so ever.
To jack up the front end and lift both tires simultaneously, I place the jack plate directly below the cross member area, then place my stand in the appropriate locations behind the front tires.
The 2 ton looks great.
What really sold me on the 3 ton at the time, was that I happen to catch it on sale for $74.99, great deal for a great jack.
Old 12-15-16, 06:56 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by texas008
Thanks a lot for the input, that sounds great, guess I'll get the 3-ton low profile floor jack.
HF is having a 25% sale now, so the 3-ton floor jack is on sale again for $74.99.
No problem at all, and again, that price is awesome!!
For certain things HB is a great store.
I think you'll be pleased with the jack.
Its really heavy duty and works great.
Old 12-15-16, 07:47 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

The HF yellow 3 Ton Daytona jack is the best built car jack they have, I have seen this jack in person and it is a heavy duty jack that can stand the heavy use.......This is NOT a light weight POS jack and they compre it to a Snap On floor jack.
Harbor Fright quality has gotten better over the years but always check the product reviews before buying anything from them. I have owned a Hein Werner floor jack for years and I highly suggest checking them out if you want a commercial quality floor jack that is rebuildable and will last a lifetime.
TIP! Make sure you buy and always use properly rated jack stands.

BTW! I hate to break the news to you, BUT..... You can't use the HF 20-25% off coupon for floor jacks. READ the fine print. This is how they suck you into the store. My suggestion is to wait for them to put the jack on sale if you want to save some money

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 12-15-16 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-15-16, 08:02 AM
texas008
Advanced

Thanks a lot for the information and suggestion.
Now i remember that those coupons can not be used on floor jacks.
The Daytona jack looks great, but not sure if it is a low profile jack,

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
The HF yellow 3 Ton Daytona jack is the best built car jack they have, I have seen this jack in person and it is a heavy duty jack that can stand the heavy use.......This is NOT a light weight POS jack and they compre it to a Snap On floor jack.
Harbor Fright quality has gotten better over the years but always check the product reviews before buying anything from them. I have owned a Hein Werner floor jack for years and I highly suggest checking them out if you want a commercial quality floor jack that is rebuildable and will last a lifetime.
TIP! Make sure you buy and always use properly rated jack stands.

BTW! I hate to break the news to you, BUT..... You can't use the HF 20-25% off coupon for floor jacks. READ the fine print. This is how they suck you into the store. My suggestion is to wait for them to put the jack on sale if you want to save some money
Old 12-15-16, 08:06 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Got mine from Costco. Cant remember the price.
Old 12-15-16, 08:28 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
Thanks a lot for the information and suggestion.
Now i remember that those coupons can not be used on floor jacks.
The Daytona jack looks great, but not sure if it is a low profile jack,
Sometimes even a low profile jack doesn't get to the "jack spot" you want it to...... Just grab some 2x10's and drive the car up on them to gain a few inches under the car and you can use any floor jack. This is how I jack up my Dodge Charger SRT that is much lower than the LS460.
Old 12-15-16, 08:35 AM
texas008
Advanced

that's good idea, this way maybe even my 4-ton floor jack can reach the jack spot.
or maybe just build car ramps with 2x10 lumbers.

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Sometimes even a low profile jack doesn't get to the "jack spot" you want it to...... Just grab some 2x10's and drive the car up on them to gain a few inches under the car and you can use any floor jack. This is how I jack up my Dodge Charger SRT that is much lower than the LS460.
Old 12-15-16, 08:40 AM
Hanna
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink get long reach jack

just make sure the jack has a long/deep reach to minimize jack handle contacting the front bumper during initial pumps ; I am still using a heavy jack bought 15 yrs ago - not sure but I think its 3 ton ; its heavy and not low profile but it works. I custom cut a square piece of 2x4 wood placed on jack before sliding it under the car.
Old 12-15-16, 04:18 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Tried to use my low-profile racing jack today to put on my winter tires for the first time. The front was no problem; however even with looking at the owner's manual I couldn't locate the jack spot in the rear. Ended up using the supplied Lexus jack and doing one side at a time. Seemed to be rather hard to get to; it's way under there!
Old 12-16-16, 07:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scrutator
Tried to use my low-profile racing jack today to put on my winter tires for the first time. The front was no problem; however even with looking at the owner's manual I couldn't locate the jack spot in the rear. Ended up using the supplied Lexus jack and doing one side at a time. Seemed to be rather hard to get to; it's way under there!
That's actually what I ended up doing a few years ago when I changed my rotors and pads.
I know that some use the differential to jack it up, but I just didn't feel that placing so much stress on the diff case would be appropriate.
I wont act as though I am an expert at this, but I just took the "known" route regarding how to jack up the car and proceeded with the brake pars replacement, using jack stands for stability and safety of course!
Old 12-16-16, 09:40 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same issue here. I need to use the high mode on the air suspension to get the jack in place.

On a prior car (Mazda RX7), I had two thick rubber plates that I drove up onto.
Old 12-16-16, 11:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

however even with looking at the owner's manual I couldn't locate the jack spot in the rear.
LOL. You couldn't find the rear diff?? Just teasin' ya...but that's exactly where to place the jack. I provided the pics in another thread that Lexus specifically noted the diff as the jacking position. That has been the spot on the previous generations of LS as well.
Old 12-16-16, 01:45 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL. You couldn't find the rear diff?? Just teasin' ya...but that's exactly where to place the jack. I provided the pics in another thread that Lexus specifically noted the diff as the jacking position. That has been the spot on the previous generations of LS as well.
I thought you, specifically had made exact mention of this in the past, but I wasn't sure.
As I stated above, I had always been weary about using the diff as a jack point.
Thanks for the clarification once again Chris.

Quick Reply: what floor jack or lift to use for LS460