LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Expenses for my LS460 since buying it a month ago-about 5-6k

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 01:14 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Expenses for my LS460 since buying it a month ago-about 5-6k

2007 LS 460 bought at auction for 15.4k+600 shipping fee and 1k taxes. 103k miles. Fully loaded except executive full fold seats/package.

All work is being done by a friendly mechanic out of his house. He is a former lead tech at Lexus.

Some of these expenses are upgrades that could have waited or maintenance items.

-new radiator (aftermarket) and cooling flush (old rad had a badly patched leak)
-car with bent 22" wheels, bought oem used rims and new pirelli p7 tires
-oil change, new spark plugs, new air filters, new cabin filter, new wipers, differential fluid flush, transmission fluid flush, all oem fluids
-headlight restoration/polishing, new osram high end d4s bulbs and osram high beams bulbs (one was out), nike leds
-replace sticky trunk opener button
-there is a brake shudder at speed only, 4 new rotors, 4 new pads, sensors, brake fluid flush (all oem except sensors)
-all front control arms are shot-bought 8 aftermarket arms from MAS/rockauto
-rear strut (nonair) was leaking badly and rear end vibration/fishtailing over large bumpts, 4 new oem struts put in.
-driver and passenger doors are hard to open-four hinges (upper and lower bought)
-driver side easy close function stopped working-bought remanufactured oem actuator on ebay
-all of a sudden e-parking brake error message and stopped working all together, scan tool shows needs new EPB ecu, ECU bought on ebay and is pending
-jmcraney wind noise fix
-pending fuel rail recall and door panels at dealerhship
-vline grom unit-yet to install.

I have not counted it all up, but I am thinking around 4-6k with labor. Think I went overboard? At least it will be driving like new. This is basically a long distance highway car for me.
Old 11-03-16, 01:28 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

If you're estimate is right that puts you at around $23k. Seems high but if it remains trouble free for a few years I guess it'll have been worth it. At this point just enjoy your car, no looking back.
Old 11-03-16, 01:46 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Originally Posted by DarKnight
If you're estimate is right that puts you at around $23k. Seems high but if it remains trouble free for a few years I guess it'll have been worth it. At this point just enjoy your car, no looking back.
thanks, at least it's all a business expense.
Old 11-03-16, 01:50 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

if you are going to drive that car at least 3 years.. doesn't seem like much and will give you a piece of mind..

I am dreading the days that I'll be doing most of what you are doing above in the next 3 years or so...
Old 11-03-16, 02:02 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Here's one of the headlights being done. Look at the before and after!

Last edited by leonrojo18; 11-03-16 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 02:26 PM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leonrojo18
thanks, at least it's all a business expense.
Isn't it always??
Old 11-03-16, 03:02 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Ya know, if you keep the car for 5 years and it's trouble free, it's worth it. It's a great car and you just brought it back to life. Enjoy.
Old 11-03-16, 03:33 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I honestly think you went a little overboard, but I do appreciate it when people go overboard.

But I inderstand your excitement with a new car and all, plus I think it'll be a great car to own in the long run. I too have an 07 and I love the thing. And like you, my LS is also a long distance highway commuter...139,000 miles and counting...very very few problems. It might be the most reliable car I've ever owned.
Old 11-03-16, 04:00 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I honestly think you went a little overboard, but I do appreciate it when people go overboard.

But I inderstand your excitement with a new car and all, plus I think it'll be a great car to own in the long run. I too have an 07 and I love the thing. And like you, my LS is also a long distance highway commuter...139,000 miles and counting...very very few problems. It might be the most reliable car I've ever owned.
Have you had any of the issues I've been having?
Old 11-03-16, 04:48 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by leonrojo18
Have you had any of the issues I've been having?
I replaced 6 of the 8 control arms up front, but I probably could have gotten away with just replacing the upper four. And I've had to replace a wheel bearing. That's it for repairs. I haven't had any problems with door hinges, soft close feature, ebrake, struts, or brake shudder. I did have all the recalls done at the dealer, but that didn't cost me anything. And I haven't had my headlights restored...I'm probably a couple years away from that.

The only thing I really could complain about has been the paint. It chips too easily. I probably need to have my bumpers restored, but with all the driving I do - especially highway - it would probably be a waste of time, they'd just get ruined again pretty quickly. But I might have them done anyway.

You're going to love this car as a highway commuter...it's so effortless and smooth...a perfect higway car, and it will easily average 28mpg doing 75-80mph.
Old 11-03-16, 08:47 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like to buy from auction because you can't have a test drive

wow. After all the replacements, will the riding feel the same as brand new 07 LS?
Old 11-04-16, 04:44 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

definitely a very nice car on the highway, most of time I drive in the power mode, with 80% highway driving,
the best MPG i got is
23.6 when tire pressure is ~ 32psi
24.6 when tire pressure is ~ 34psi
maybe i need to keep increasing the tire pressure

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I replaced 6 of the 8 control arms up front, but I probably could have gotten away with just replacing the upper four. And I've had to replace a wheel bearing. That's it for repairs. I haven't had any problems with door hinges, soft close feature, ebrake, struts, or brake shudder. I did have all the recalls done at the dealer, but that didn't cost me anything. And I haven't had my headlights restored...I'm probably a couple years away from that.

The only thing I really could complain about has been the paint. It chips too easily. I probably need to have my bumpers restored, but with all the driving I do - especially highway - it would probably be a waste of time, they'd just get ruined again pretty quickly. But I might have them done anyway.

You're going to love this car as a highway commuter...it's so effortless and smooth...a perfect higway car, and it will easily average 28mpg doing 75-80mph.
Old 11-04-16, 01:14 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

keep your eyes and ears out on them valves
Old 11-04-16, 01:48 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Originally Posted by lextout
keep your eyes and ears out on them valves
what do you mean? That recall was done early in the car's life
Old 11-04-16, 01:49 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Originally Posted by texas008
definitely a very nice car on the highway, most of time I drive in the power mode, with 80% highway driving,
the best MPG i got is
23.6 when tire pressure is ~ 32psi
24.6 when tire pressure is ~ 34psi
maybe i need to keep increasing the tire pressure

I get 24.6 or so with 31psi, no power mode but averaging 85/90

Quick Reply: Expenses for my LS460 since buying it a month ago-about 5-6k