LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Unintended acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 12:33 PM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
"Brake Over Ride System"???

WTF - How come I didn't check that on the options list when I bought my new LX!?

Here is Al Unser on the subject.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otyax6onMWw

Looks like Audi and all the others had the "Brake Over Ride System" as standard equipment..... :-)

So what happened to the guy whose wife ran off the road and he blames LEXUS for "complete brake failure?"

Oh - here it is ---"CLOSED"

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...failure-2.html

I guess it got a bit TOO FUNNY...

EXACTLY! Got BRAKES??? seriously people, cars do not drive themselves! Oh wow I never thought that would be a controversial statement..."autonomous" vehicles on the other hand, DO have the ability to drive themselves...but the cars we are speaking about here do NOT.
Old 03-29-18, 06:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

" All of my unintended accelerations"

LOL. You must have the worst luck on the planet. I've been driving for 35 years (including tons of patrol).....prob 2 million miles and 30different vehicles. Never had "unintended acceleration."
Old 03-29-18, 07:04 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog

LOL. You must have the worst luck on the planet. I've been driving for 35 years (including tons of patrol).....prob 2 million miles and 30different vehicles. Never had "unintended acceleration."
Not me...I've had a few unintended accelerations. Mostly in the younger years when my foot seemed to be heavier than it is now and most notably one where my right hand definitely had that issue. Gotta feather the throttle better when you are learning to ride a sport bike, or it tosses you off.

Never an un-commanded acceleration though. Bike and car always did what it was told to do, problem existed in the accelerator to steering wheel interconnect biological unit.
Old 04-05-18, 08:13 AM
userflw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You thought your foot was on the brake, but it was not. This has been investigated many times by Independent government agencies and in every instance they found that unintended acceleration was caused by driver error. They did an exhaustive investigation into unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus products and determined that there was no issue or failure.

If your foot foot was firmly on the brake even at full throttle your car would not move. Try it. Go into an empty parking lot, put your left foot all the way on the brake and give it full throttle. It won’t go anywhere.

The most powerful thing on any car are the brakes. The engine is less powerful than the brakes.
I appreciate your take on the brakes vs engine. However, you must take into account that: 1. This vehicle is fly by wire. and 2. There are anomalies that occur with electronic component, particularly with software controlled operations. There are too many unaccounted interfering signals that are non continuous so the intermittent nature of my experiences. I am also sure, that if my right foot had not been on the brake in each of my experiences the car would have not held in place and accelerated and crashed either into the car in front or the garage wall!!

I have also noticed that in intermittent instances, when slowing down (below 10mph), and not braking the engine will rev and the car will accelerate slightly. What is the explanation for this?
Old 04-05-18, 10:04 AM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by userflw
I have also noticed that in intermittent instances, when slowing down (below 10mph), and not braking the engine will rev and the car will accelerate slightly. What is the explanation for this?
Your car is downshifting as you decelerate. This causes your engine revs to rise as the gearing changes. Its not abnormal and is pretty much the way automatic transmissions work for the last 50 years.
Old 04-05-18, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I appreciate your take on the brakes vs engine. However, you must take into account that: 1. This vehicle is fly by wire. and 2. There are anomalies that occur with electronic component, particularly with software controlled operations. There are too many unaccounted interfering signals that are non continuous so the intermittent nature of my experiences. I am also sure, that if my right foot had not been on the brake in each of my experiences the car would have not held in place and accelerated and crashed either into the car in front or the garage wall!!

Yes, thats everybody's argument. However, these reports have been investigated ad nauseam by government agencies and they have NEVER found there to be a vehicle flaw.

You likely had the same foot on the brake and the gas without realizing it, or if you're describing "acceleration" as an increase in RPMs as you described when slowing down its possible there was no acceleration at all.
Old 04-05-18, 05:00 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

You sir - are AMAZING!
Old 10-16-18, 04:50 PM
userflw
Driver School Candidate

No offense, but I would bet money that your foot was indeed on the accelerator pedal and you just didn't realize it. Even in the ES it was found by the NHTSA that it was not a physical problem with the vehicle.
Do the physics!!!

Impossible to have foot on brake and accelerator at the same time.

Do not jump to conclusions....

I have had this also and now have been able to duplicate the incident. Just a little more time and I will expose what Lexus HAS BEEN HIDING!
Old 10-16-18, 04:55 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Do the physics!!!

Do not jump to conclusions....

I have had this also and now have been able to duplicate the incident. Just a little more time and I will expose what Lexus HAS BEEN HIDING!
Hi userflw, I believe heel-and-toeing is a technique to cover both the brake and gas simultaneously. As an engineer, I can understand the possibility of spurious electrical spikes in any electronic system, or maybe a faulty pedal position sensor. I am open to the possibility, for sure. However, I have not seem any conclusive video to document unintended acceleration. If you're able to duplicate this dangerous phenomenon then please find an empty parking lot and share the video of it happening.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 10-16-18 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 04:59 PM
userflw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog

Have more driving experience than you and how come it is only the LS that the unintended acceleration occurs? And how come is only the LS460 and not the prior LS430 and the original LS???

Any wise crackers out there. My MBs never had this or any of the 15 or so American manufactured cars?
Old 10-16-18, 05:00 PM
userflw
Driver School Candidate

How about when this occurs when at a full stop with foot firmly on the brake? Explain that?
Old 10-16-18, 05:04 PM
userflw
Driver School Candidate

All that fly by wire means, is that electrical connections and devices take the place of direct mechanical and hydraulic connections. More cause for error and anomalies.

Need a real ENGINEER to look into this, or for Lexus to open up to the problem, but I guess the financial exposure is too much. Not to mention the bad publicity.
Old 10-16-18, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

There are unintended acceleration claims against a wide variety of vehicles.

And I can absolutely put my foot on the gas and brake at the same time. Also, full throttle if your foot is on the brake the car will not move. The engine cannot overpower the brakes, it’s been tested and proven. The NHTSA has looked into it and has declared it driver error every time.

You do also realize that the 98-00 LS400 and the LS430 also have drive by wire throttles right? And if you google, there are complaints, as there are with almost every car.

Driver error. I look forward to the video that will never come lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-16-18 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 01:42 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I look forward to the video that will never come lol
HERE! HERE! I second that motion!
Old 10-17-18, 03:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It's called heel and toe. Depending on one's foot size (or when I'm wearing my patrol boots), I can EASILY do this.

Have more driving experience than you and how come it is only the LS that the unintended acceleration occurs?
LOL. This has not only been reported by you and the LS is NOT the only vehicle that it's been reported on. Have you been living under a rock? This has (ad nauseum) been investigated by the NHTSA in may other vehicles....usually a blue hair driving a Camry........https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-scare-feature

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-17-18 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Unintended acceleration