LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Test drove a 2016 740i and a 2016 S550 today...how'd the LS stack up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Default Test drove a 2016 740i and a 2016 S550 today...how'd the LS stack up?

I was near a big auto park today and test drove several cars, including the all new 740i and the S550. I had not driven either car in their latest generation. The new 7 wasn't out when I was shopping for the LS, I did drive the previous car, and the S550 was way more than I wanted to spend. I have driven the previous generation S550 several times.

I liked both cars a lot. The 7 I drove was a 740 (the 6 cyl), pretty highly optioned to $94k. The S550 was a fairly low option car at $110k.

The new 7 is a really sharp car. I like the styling in person, it looks long but low and wide which I like. Inside the interior is excellent, very high quality, not one low rent material anywhere to be found. The car rides much better than the previous car, which was a little bit hard IMHO for the class. Very quiet, relaxing ride. Technology is excellent, BMW's latest nav is great, the touchscreen option is nice in contrast to the iDrive and the gesture control works well. Great seats, multi-contour which I really miss from my GS. Was really more impressed with the car than I thought I would be.

With that said, optioned in any way AWD they're in the latter half of $80k, thats a lot of money IMHO for a car with a 6. The 6 has plenty of power, but its notably less smooth than the V8 in the LS or the S550. The 750 is S Class money almost exactly. I don't see choosing the 7 over the S.

The S550 is really a special car. If there was a car out there that was everything that I really like about a car...the S550 would be it. I love the styling, the quality is just excellent. Everything feels special, high quality, well made. They have such a presence going down the road. The car I drove rode incredibly well, and this one didn't have the magic body control (google that). I love the organic flowing lines inside and out, seats are very comfortable. Engine is punchy and torquey while remaining very refined and muted.

I was surprised both cars felt smaller than they were, especially the S Class. The S felt smaller being piloted down the road than my SWB LS, and certainly a LWB LS.

One thing that surprised me about the S which I've noted before was it has manually adjusted seatbelt anchors while ours are power and memory keyed. The 7's weren't adjustable at all. I also really missed having a console mounted shifter in the S to rest my right hand on. The tech in the S550 feels outdated next to the new 7, but its still obviously heads and shoulders above the LS.

Like I said...the car I drove was stickered at $110k, lease payment structured the way I would want is ~$1,400. Thats a lot. If money was truly no object though, that would be the car no doubt.

Getting back into my LS to go home...I gotta say, the S rides better and its quieter, but the difference is more subtle than I would have expected. Powertrain is better in the S, but the LS still feels pretty darn similar in terms of throttle response despite being hugely outclassed in power. Compared to the 7 I would say the LS rides very similarly and noise levels are just about the same. Remember too my LS is a standard suspension, both the 7 and the S I drove rode on air suspensions. I thoroughly enjoyed my ride home...which surprised me. Thats one reason I've avoided driving a new generation S Class.

As far as the interiors go, the LS is easily eclipsed by both these cars in terms of layout and material quality. Like I said, every surface of both the 7 and S is covered in leather, wood, or metal, while the LS still features imitation leather on all but the seating surfaces and touch points, and some of the metal look panel faces are plastic. Leather quality far and away is better in both the 7 and S. Technology, again the LS is left completely in the dust.

But...when it comes to ride and drive I was surprised even with their new platforms and adaptive suspensions. the LS is still pretty darn close in terms of ride quality and refinement/isolation....even mine being a coil spring suspension SWB car. I can see an air suspension LS460L being potentially better riding, but likely not with the same duality of handling performance the newer S has.

The economics will change assuming the new LS is going to be more money (which I'm sure it will) and LWB only, but for the $34,000 less my LS460 cost vs that S550...I still would make that purchase choice again.
Old 06-22-16, 09:49 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Great reviews my friend! Thank you.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the reliability aspect of both German marques. I've been bitten by both of mine badly, so never again for me. My 7 series had half the mileage my LS has now and it cost me 1000 times more problems and so did the X5. Imagine a car that needs an almost complete engine tear down at 50k miles! That was my 7. The wife's X5 marginally less problematic but it too needed so many fixes over it's relatively short life.
Old 06-22-16, 09:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you're leasing new though, they'll all be fine.
Old 06-22-16, 10:31 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Thanks, that was a really nice review. I have been meaning to test drive these cars too, hopefully soon

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The S550 is really a special car. If there was a car out there that was everything that I really like about a car...the S550 would be it. I love the styling, the quality is just excellent. Everything feels special, high quality, well made. They have such a presence going down the road. The car I drove rode incredibly well, and this one didn't have the magic body control (google that).
The Magic Body Control option is available only on RWD vehicles, not in AWD models. I wonder why.

I also really missed having a console mounted shifter in the S to rest my right hand on. The tech in the S550 feels outdated next to the new 7, but its still obviously heads and shoulders above the LS.
I also like resting my hand on the shifter, and the shifter in the 2013+ LS is positioned perfectly, even better than in the 2007+ LSs. The console shifter on the S550 looks old fashioned
Old 06-23-16, 12:11 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the reliability aspect of both German marques. I've been bitten by both of mine badly, so never again for me. My 7 series had half the mileage my LS has now and it cost me 1000 times more problems and so did the X5. Imagine a car that needs an almost complete engine tear down at 50k miles! That was my 7. The wife's X5 marginally less problematic but it too needed so many fixes over it's relatively short life.
I agree. The newer BMW and MB are wonderful to drive but tends to spend more time in the shop They are expensive to own and maintain after the warranty expires.
Old 06-23-16, 12:20 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog

Sounds about like the typical experience one gets in a BMW powered by the N63 twin turbo V8. Needlessly complex and fiddly engine that was half baked when released to the public. A few years later BMW issued a service campaign that replaced A BUNCH of parts on that engine for free with new, revised parts. BMW was pushing the envelope with the technology in that engine, they forgot to test it to see if it would actually hold together in the real world.
Old 06-23-16, 04:12 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the review .
I work in Manhattan Ny so S550s are dime a dozen . They are mainly limo cars working as high end taxis . A few 750s as well but not as many as s550s.

I absolutely love the styling of the new s550. And I strongly believe I'd own one right now if it wasn't for our 3 year old daughter. I don't want to be spending money on something that depreciates as fast as a German car.
Neither do I want to deal with the twin turbo madness.
All of these cars are 5 year cars at max, after that into container they go.

As I get older, I realize I nee less things. So all that tech is useless to me. All I want is 300hp, ac, heat, and power windows.
Old 06-23-16, 04:28 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't like the new BMW, but the S550 has always had that cachet to me. However, reliability is the one reason I chose what I got, granted, I'm sure people who can easily slide into new ones could probably care less, that reason hung long and hard for me simply because I consider dealerships visits, even under warranty, a damn hassle. I don't like going there, no matter how nice they are, I don't like loaners and I don't like disruptions to my schedule.

But, to others, these concerns aren't high on their list and I'm sure other people's priorities are different.

I think the new LS will bring a lot more to bear, especially in the engine and technology front. I had every intention of driving this for ten years, like I do for all cars I've owned, but I did hedge my bets knowing a new LS is coming and the new engine, more HP, has really peaked my interest and now, by all accounts, I'm getting the new LS, I just don't want to get the first model year. I'm not considering the S550 because of the aforementioned I hate dealership and nuisance warranty visits.

So far, I've had none in this car. Hopefully it will persist and my bet is that it will. The BMW I had, brand new, required two dealership visits within the first year. Man, even though the fixes were easy, after the second one, I regretted buying it.
Old 06-23-16, 04:47 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're leasing new though, they'll all be fine.
Well yes and no...

Yes... you'll be covered by the warranty, so expenses are a non-issue.

But...

Like Roadfrog, I've been burned by the Germans. I've been an MB owner since 1993, when I bought my first 300E 3.2 sedan. An absolutely great car that is still running today, 23 years later and have been mostly troubefree....

then I switched to a 2000 S430. Boy... quality was gone and cost control was obvious everywhere. Then I went to a 2006 E350 wagon and had the bad luck of falling on one of those bad engines that failed before 100k... had a fight with MB on that... then it was the transmission... then the suspension.

And what makes the difference between the germans and Lexus is that when something fails on a German, you'll have to be towed. On a Lexus, in most cased, you won't.

So...

Germans have changed a lot in the past 10 years. From what I heard, the are pretty reliable for the first 4 years. I would lease for sure.

Since I keep my cars longer... I'll sitck with Lexus for a bit...
Old 06-23-16, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For me reliability really isn't an issue, since I'm not likely to keep the car long term, I buy new and not used, I lease, etc. For me the bigger issue is the price difference. $10,000 gap? I'd choose an S550 for sure. $35,000 gap? not as much lol

I would have a hard time choosing a highly optioned LS460L over a new 740...pricewise there the gap wouldn't be much. Although it might be with the great deals out there on the LS right now.

No way I'd even consider an LS600hL over an S550.
Old 06-23-16, 06:53 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

quick look on swap a lease is showing many 2016 S550's for $993 and up only 7500 miles which is crap but....There is actually several S65's in the area of $4k a month. lol

Last edited by greg3852; 06-23-16 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 07:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those are totally base cars from leasing companies, and that doesn't include any taxes or tags, etc rolled in. Just the taxes in MD are almost $6,000 lol, so even a no downpayment lease you'd be putting ~ $7k out of pocket. Just that $7k rolled out over 36 months with no interest charge is $200 a month...
Old 06-23-16, 07:52 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Nice write up, I enjoyed reading it!

When I bought my 2007 LS I did look at the BMW 7 series, S550 and Audi A8. I didn't care for the exterior nor interior styling of the A8 so I didn't really examine it closely. The LS was light years ahead of the 7, it's only advantage was it handled better than the LS.

The S was very comparable to the LS, but when I priced out identically equipped cars the S was a full $25,000 more MSRP. It did however have AWD which wasn't available in the LS at the time. I just couldn't see paying that premium, especially for a car that I thought would not be as reliable as the LS.

Now however, it appears that all three brands are light years ahead of the LS in technology. It will be interesting to see what Lexus does with the next version.

As a side note, this seems to be a Lexus trait. For all the years they built the SC430, they never updated anything in the car except for slight cosmetic changes.
Old 06-23-16, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Now however, it appears that all three brands are light years ahead of the LS in technology.
Its an issue with Lexus in general. When you really think about it the basic architecture of Lexus' nav and infotainment system is the same as it was in 2001. Layouts, interface, all are largely the same.

The tech strides in these cars really are more or less just window dressing. When it comes to "what would you actually use?" the LS has everything that the other two have. Its cleaner, higher tech looking in the S and 7, especially the 7. For instance when adjusting the seats on the 7 a 3D graphic of the seats comes up on the nav screen and you can see the exact adjustments you're making or the passenger is making on the screen in real time. Do you need that? No...its cool but once it gets old its going to be annoying when you're trying to look at the nav screen and your passenger is simply adjusting their seat.

To me the big things they need to address in the new LS, is it needs a new class leading infotainment setup, and it needs to be the first Lexus to have it and then let it trickle down, and the interior needs a big step up in materials. From a ride quality and noise isolation department, they're really still pretty close to the top.
Old 06-23-16, 09:00 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Lexus' trend is to PERFECT what is introduced by other manufacturers. This makes it less buggy and more reliable. Yeah, my 7 had a lot of new features/technologies not seen before, but they were essentially useless because of all the problems with them. "I drive" is an example. Same with the nav and other stuff. Lexus may have been late in the game on some of these technologies, but at least they actually worked when they did finally provide them.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2016 740i and a 2016 S550 today...how'd the LS stack up?