LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ready to Buy - Going to Drive 2010 LS460L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 08:05 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ready to Buy - Going to Drive 2010 LS460L AWD

I am heading to the dealer later this evening to drive and negotiate on a 2010 LS 460L with AWD w/70k miles and one owner. I am trying to determine what things i should look at/be worried about.

Silver w/ Grey interior. Has most if not all options save for the wheels are not polished

Specifically, any opinions/feedback on the following would be appreciated:

1. Are the front bushings that plagued the 07-09 confirmed as corrected with the 2010?
2. What features are standard on the L vs optional (rear executive only?)
3. Has the AWD shown yet to be problematic or a maintenance nightmare?
4. Is the air suspension standard on the L and if so, like the AWD should i be worried about it failing at 150k?
5. Has anyone purchased an extended warranty and if so what kind of cost/experience have you had?
6. Anything else i should really look at or ask about??

Finally while I am out, I am going to also stop by my local lexus dealer who has a 2008 with only 79k miles, lifetime warranty and red with cashmere interior... only problem... it has no nav and by LS standards is pretty bare bones. Less to go wrong i guess (and 10k cheaper) but the idea of owning such a grand car with no nav or ML feels odd (but the wheels are polished on this one lol). Any reason not to buy an 08 (bushings, electronics, et al).

Thank you. I am pretty stoked to possibly one of these cars.

Last edited by sayow; 06-21-16 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 08:14 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

If you dont need the AWD dont buy the car. It is heavier, gets less mpg and the engine has less power. Also there are extra problems with it. Also avoid the air suspension if you can. So for 10k less plus avoiding the awd and air suspension its a no brainer. Buy the 08. Any shop can do the bushings if needed for a decent price, plus you say it has a warranty. My 07 is a dream machine and having a newer model really would not accomplish anything, in my opinion of course.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 06-21-16 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 08:39 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
If you dont need the AWD dont buy the car. It is heavier, gets less mpg and the engine has less power. Also there are extra problems with it. Also avoid the air suspension if you can. So for 10k less plus avoiding the awd and air suspension its a no brainer. Buy the 08. Any shop can do the bushings if needed for a decent price, plus you say it has a warranty. My 07 is a dream machine and having a newer model really would not accomplish anything, in my opinion of course.
I agree with everything you say and i do not need the AWD for sure (or air ride headaches) but the lack of nav bugs the hell out of me and i have learned the 10+ nav is vastly improved as far as iphone/android integration. No idea how that works on a nav-less 2008.

Last edited by sayow; 06-21-16 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 09:20 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally, it would depend on price, but I wouldnt buy a 460 without nav or ML. Just seems weird.

I would test drive them both and not make a decision to buy today. Drive them and let it sink in. There are tons for sale.
Old 06-21-16, 10:42 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by sayow
I am heading to the dealer later this evening to drive and negotiate on a 2010 LS 460L with AWD w/70k miles and one owner. I am trying to determine what things i should look at/be worried about.

Silver w/ Grey interior. Has most if not all options save for the wheels are not polished

Specifically, any opinions/feedback on the following would be appreciated:

1. Are the front bushings that plagued the 07-09 confirmed as corrected with the 2010?
2. What features are standard on the L vs optional (rear executive only?)
3. Has the AWD shown yet to be problematic or a maintenance nightmare?
4. Is the air suspension standard on the L and if so, like the AWD should i be worried about it failing at 150k?
5. Has anyone purchased an extended warranty and if so what kind of cost/experience have you had?
6. Anything else i should really look at or ask about??

Finally while I am out, I am going to also stop by my local lexus dealer who has a 2008 with only 79k miles, lifetime warranty and red with cashmere interior... only problem... it has no nav and by LS standards is pretty bare bones. Less to go wrong i guess (and 10k cheaper) but the idea of owning such a grand car with no nav or ML feels odd (but the wheels are polished on this one lol). Any reason not to buy an 08 (bushings, electronics, et al).

Thank you. I am pretty stoked to possibly one of these cars.
I have a slightly different take. If I am going to get the Lexus flagship, I want bells and whistles. Personally, being in MO also, I want the AWD. The vehicle is extremely reliable, with the only potential issues being the control arms and bushings, the air suspension, and the brake actuator. I don't know your budget, but if you are spending 20-25K, better get a car that at least has all the features that a used but loaded Avalon or Altima has. I would not get a Nav-less 460.

Echoing Greg, test drive but wait a few days to decide. There are plenty of bargains out there; no need to rush! Check values on KBB and NADA. Check Carfax, Autocheck, register on Lexus Driver and examine service history, and have a pre-purchase inspection done.
Old 06-21-16, 12:31 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

My wife and I never ever use our nav's. Our IPhones always work way better and her nav is in a 2015 4 Runner. I have no use for a factory nav in a car. Also a 2008 LS460 with those miles and no nav should be about $18,000 or less. Really from this point down the resale when your done with it wont matter if it has nav or not.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 06-21-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 12:48 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
My wife and I never ever use our nav's. Our IPhones always work way better and her nav is in a 2015 4 Runner. I have no use for a factory nav in a car. Also a 2008 LS460 with those miles and no nav should be about $18,000 or less. Really from this point down the resale when your done with it wont matter if it has nav or not.
I agree with you about the utility of the Nav. I also just use the Nav for displaying maps and other information, and for displaying family photos . I use Google maps on my iPhone for directions etc.

From the link to the other thread the OP posted today, it seems that the Nav-less 2008 would not even have a touchscreen for accessing other menus. That seems like a big step down when buying the flagship.
Old 06-21-16, 01:34 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I agree with you about the utility of the Nav. I also just use the Nav for displaying maps and other information, and for displaying family photos . I use Google maps on my iPhone for directions etc.

From the link to the other thread the OP posted today, it seems that the Nav-less 2008 would not even have a touchscreen for accessing other menus. That seems like a big step down when buying the flagship.
Correct, no touch screen no backup camera. Not sure how the radar sensors work, maybe just show on dash.
Old 06-21-16, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I wouldn't consider one without nav.
Old 06-21-16, 02:08 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd consider a 10+ flat base model with few options to throw miles on to and save my Sport's miles for road trips into the rockies.

For the right price..
Old 06-21-16, 02:30 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

As far as the extended warranty, if you don't buy the car from a Lexus dealer you have no chance for a Lexus warranty. I haven't seen them in a while, but there are a couple threads by members getting a good 3rd party warranty. I think many of them are through credit unions. You could do a search to find some of the threads.
Old 06-21-16, 02:42 PM
CJITTY

Received 147 Likes on 110 Posts

If you are in Missouri, I say pass on the AWD. You all get snow, but not as much as other Midwest states. Just buy a second set of used 18" LS wheels cheap and get some great snow tires for the cold months. I had an AWD with my 600 which there are no options for RWD, but now I do have a RWD and like the car better than my AWD. Less issues to worry about with RWD also
Old 06-21-16, 02:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

For me.....no nav...no sale. Same with ML. I use my nav all the time. For me there's nothing wrong with the NAV in my 08 LS. I see no point in owning a flagship and not having the basic "flagship options".

I echo the sentiment with regards to AWD. A top tier set of dedicated winter tires will get you by no problem. A set of Hakepallatia (sp?) WRG3's for example will turn your car into a beast in the snow, especially with the ECT set to "snow".
Old 06-21-16, 03:38 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

No backup camera no deal. Actually I dont think I will ever buy a car again without automatic panic braking. That is the future that is here now.
Old 06-21-16, 03:39 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
For me.....no nav...no sale. Same with ML. I use my nav all the time. For me there's nothing wrong with the NAV in my 08 LS. I see no point in owning a flagship and not having the basic "flagship options".

I echo the sentiment with regards to AWD. A top tier set of dedicated winter tires will get you by no problem. A set of Hakepallatia (sp?) WRG3's for example will turn your car into a beast in the snow, especially with the ECT set to "snow".
I haven't taken the time to learn it, but I find the Lexus Nav system tough to use. It gives "bad" routes for destinations. I find it very cumbersome to change routes or part of routes, especially with the new mouse instead of the touchscreen. These things are easily done on Google maps.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I would take an AWD with all seasons any day over a RWD with winter tires. I am sure there is a thread somewhere debating this . Plus I don't have to bother with buying a separate set of winter wheels/tires

Quick Reply: Ready to Buy - Going to Drive 2010 LS460L AWD