LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

left buttons in steering wheel not working

Old 05-06-16, 01:43 PM
waeel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default left buttons in steering wheel not working

hello all

i have ls 460 , and i have problem with the left buttons on the steering wheel
hold button is working fine
volume up and down , mode button and phone button all not working

any ideas about this !

Last edited by waeel; 05-06-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-23-21, 11:31 PM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

NOTE: The LS430 has a sequence of buttons you could push to 'reset/reinitialize' the steering wheel buttons (for after a battery disconnect, for example). And posters here report that it often worked well to solve this problem on LS430s. However the sequence does NOT work on an LS460 ... I tried it many times. And I searched online endlessly to see if there was such a sequence specific to the LS460 ... and though there might even be one ... I could not find it.

So if the LHS radio buttons on the steering wheel are not working correctly (or the RHS buttons or the horn for that matter), the likely root cause is that the "clock spring" ribbon cable (behind the air bag then behind the steering wheel) has failed (or one of its harness plugs has worked loose due to the constant telescoping of the wheel). It's called a clock spring because it looks like a old-school mechanical watch spring when it is working, spooling and unspooling a ribbon cable to maintain the electrical connection when you turn the steering wheel. Said another way, the part is simply a really long spiraled-up ribbon cable inside a plastic housing with some harnesses attached to it.

There are TWO original Toyota clock spring part numbers for the 2007-2009 LS460.

One is "84306-48030 Cable Sub‑Assy, Spiral." That part number has been superseded by "84306-0E010." It has two yellow harnesses.

The other is "84306-50190 Cable Sub-Assy, Spiral Korea Spec&Steering Wheel-4-Spoke, Woods, With(Heater)&Suspension-Air Suspention." It has the two yellow harnesses PLUS a third white harness. I don't understand why the description says anything about 'Korea' … but it DOES say something about "Heater." And my vehicle is equipped with an optional heated steering wheel. And that was the clock spring my vehicle required.

So be sure ... you are sure ... which clock spring you need should you decide to replace it.

There were numerous aftermarket clock springs available on feeBay in the price range of $15 to $30. Since it is just a ribbon cable wound up inside a plastic box, I'd say aftermarket is a safe bet. The OEM part runs about $330. Some of those $15 to $30 aftermarkets actually come packaged in Toyota/Lexus boxing & labeling. Replacement ought be no more than one hour of labor, maybe less.

There are a number of YouTube videos generally illustrating how to remove the air bag & steering wheel, then replace/install the clock spring. Also illustrating the disassembly of a clock spring to show what it actually does. Here are several: https://bit.ly/35BR38b , https://bit.ly/35Fvjsk , https://bit.ly/2SgtvTu .

The key concept surrounding the installation is that all the parts have to line-up correctly as you assemble them, so you have to take care to preserve their correct orientation as you disassemble them. That, for example, you will have to mark with tape or something how the steering wheel is lined-up with the shaft spline before you separate them.

The general procedure, approximately, is as follows:

* Ensure front wheels are turned straight-ahead and steering wheel is on center-point, then turn off the vehicle.
* Disconnect battery and wait about 20 minutes (for full discharging of system before ever tinkering with an air bag)
* There is a large orange or yellow handle pull ring on the new clock spring. Do NOT yet remove it. It is preventing the clock spring from spinning, thereby preserving its correct orientation.
* Remove plastic button cover on left of steering wheel post & plastic cover on right of steering wheel post
* Loosen, but do not remove, the two revealed #30 Torx bolts
* Wiggle out air bag & unplug air bag harnesses … then remove air bag
* Turn steering wheel to lock it in place & mark orientation of both steering wheel & shaft spline (so as to orient them correctly when reinstalling) using tape or white-out or Sharpie or whatever.
* Use 19mm to remove center steering wheel bolt while steering wheel is still locked
* Wiggle off steering wheel and unplug any steering wheel harnesses
* Remove steering wheel
* Loosen the left/right/bottom Philips screws holding down the upper & lower plastic clock spring covers … then remove plastic covers
* Remove the Philips screws holding down the failed clock spring
* Remove failed clock spring, unplug any clock spring harnesses
* Detach OLD steering sensor (black plastic donut-shaped part) from back of FAILED clock spring … and install it to back of NEW clock spring
* Plug in harnesses to the new clock spring assembly
* Position new clock spring in-place so that alignment arrow is correctly oriented (else ribbon cable will be broken).
* Once properly mounted, you can now pull the large orange or yellow handle pull ring.
* Reassemble all

Last edited by DrQuality; 07-16-21 at 01:14 PM.