LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 07:29 PM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a chance to meet 7miles along with Tee this afternoon. His exhaust sound awesome. The sound of the exhaust was not obnoxious but definitely noticeable. I also had a chance to ride in the vehicle, and it definitely sounded awesome. More noticeable when driving the surface streets, but once on the highway and cruising around 70, no drone. Definitely excited to try it out. It reminds me of the sound of the Infiniti FX 35, but a little toned down. It's perfect for taste. I'll give it a try and give updates. Thanks 7milesout!
Old 05-16-16, 08:56 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

PrinceAkim - No problem. Thanks for meeting me.

Let me know how yours sounds when driving. Is it the same as mine was? I didn't have time to ride in your cars after installing, I had to get my son home before The Gift sounded the alarms and released the hounds.

But from standing in the parking lot listening, it sounded the same as mine while you accelerated away. And it did sound good. Similar as like an FX35, but with a V8's authority.

7milesout
Old 05-16-16, 06:32 PM
7milesout
Advanced

lbintab - I love the sound of your car with no mufflers. For what you were doing at that event, it sounded great / appropriate. I agree with you, with the washers it sounded ... I guess sloppy is fairly accurate. It sounds clean & mean without the mufflers. But for everyday use, that would get on most peoples' nerves.

Mine is a happy quarter (not medium)! Meaning, it's not half as loud as without the mufflers. It's not as loud as yours with washers. It's just more like, "hey, I'm here, but I'm not going to bust your eardrums." And it sounds clean too. And, most importantly ... no drone!

I'm working some things out. Will keep you guys up to date.
Old 05-16-16, 08:28 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree 100% with PrinceAkim impression of the exhaust mod, love the fact it has NO DRONE and it sounds very nice! Start up also sounds nice reminding hey I have a V8 and 2,000 RPM is a sweet spot sound for me. It's always good to see PrinceAkim but it was also nice to finally meet 7milesout and his mini me.

7- I think you have a hit with this mod... especially with people who can appreciate this mod and speaking of appreciation. Thank you again for crawling under our cars to install the mod, I did not know what to expect before hearing it but was sold after the demo. I will post my thoughts after a week of driving with this mod.
Old 05-17-16, 09:10 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's go! When are they for sale?
Old 05-17-16, 09:35 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Well ... I don't want to sell something chinsey. I even want the box to be first class. If I'm going to sell these to Lexus owners, it CANNOT be crap. I've got a "prototype" box set up and ready to send to roadfrog. I've got instructions ready (not that roadfrog needs them). I've a got production box and foam pad on their way to me to be confirmed. The foam pad will separate the parts in the box so they don't scratch each other. It's really going to be first class. All for like 1/4th what you'd pay for custom mufflers, and this is way easier to install and just as easy to remove.

My biggest hurdle is ... all this stuff to get up and running is EXPENSIVE. I'm trying to convince myself to lay down this kind of loot on something I'm not certain I'll ever get my money back out of.

But replies like GR6RR's help!

If I were to make an estimate, I would say ... mid to late June, if I grow cojones large enough to lay down the loot. And ... I'm doing this without The Gift knowing what I'm doing. She would try to put the kibosh on it if she knew how much it's going to cost to REALLY get it rolling. It's already NOT cheap.

Oh, and we need roadfrog's input, as well as PrinceAkim's and Tee's after a bit more time living with these in their cars.

I've tried to reach out to some GS, LS 430, and LS 400 owners to see if these would work in their cars. It would help me to know if there may be more takers.

7milesout

Last edited by 7milesout; 05-17-16 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 10:52 AM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

First off - been trolling around here for a couple of months since I picked up my 08. I have learned a lot from others and really appreciate the passion everyone on here has and the mature manner in which opinions are taken and given.

So, with that being said - 7milesout - have you considered the effect of the exhaust moisture/condensation during the colder months? You state the exhaust is vented down and under the car - I can easily visualize all the moisture being leaked out through these vents building up under the rear of the car, especially when not moving forward. I realize it may not be a lot, and I understand that when driving in the rain water splashes nearly everywhere, but I have slight concern with the steam rising up onto the underside of the body.

Once again, not trying to knock you down for thinking outside the box here, as I agree with all the positive points you have made regarding this mod.
Old 05-18-16, 11:03 AM
7milesout
Advanced

The H2O from the reaction with the catalyst will simply drip out at the vents. There's no problem with that. It either drips out there or at the tip of the tailpipe. The steam, I can't imagine any issue either. Because when sitting still with a tailwind, the steam gets blown up under the car anyway. And it doesn't have any negative affect.

I can't even imagine this being an issue. Still the vast majority of the steam will come right out the tailpipe as always. I cranked mine yesterday messing around with it. It had rained earlier and was very humid out. So it steamed out the tailpipes for maybe 20 seconds. And it blew a steam spray about 3 or 4 feet straight out the back of the car. So ... the point is, the vast majority continues to come out the tailpipes.

I know you're not implying this, but I'm clarifying just for all. The vents do not create gaping holes.
Old 05-23-16, 08:09 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Well it's been a week since the install and still loving it! The sound is just right IMO, I'm interested in hearing what Roadfrog thinks once he has spent some time with this mod.

Last edited by Tee; 05-24-16 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 08:24 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Thanks Tee. I'm glad you're liking it. Roadfrog should be getting his Wednesday or Thursday. He lives waaaay to the upper-left, so it's taking a while to get there.
Old 05-24-16, 12:33 AM
drew05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in this. Let us know.
Old 05-24-16, 10:01 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can i buy it without the packaging? i just need that little umph! in my step...
I can sign a ND agreements before you send it out, notarized if you need... c'mon wit' it already! hahahha
Old 05-24-16, 10:28 AM
CJITTY

Received 147 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks like you have a winner. Congrats 7! I guess eventually we'll link up one of these days since you are here in the ATL area. Hopefully we can get the entire LS crew back together again for a mini meet sometime in 2016 lol
Old 05-24-16, 12:28 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Default Pre-Order LIST?

If you guys want to, I'll begin creating a Pre-Order List (not taking any payment until I'm closer to a shipment date). I'm going to target to have the initial orders ready to ship on 6/20. Let me re-state ... TRY.

It's not the packaging holding this up. It's 2 things, 1) I want feedback from Roadfrog in addition to what Tee & PrinceAkim have contributed. I refuse to sell crap, so let's vet this out, and 2) it will take some time to make new parts. I'm now fresh out of the samples I made.

Before anyone says YES, let me tell you what you get, and what it will cost.

You get: A box containing 2 Exhaust Vents separated by a piece of foam, so that the Vents don't scratch each other up. I want you guys to open the box and see something that's nice. There will also be 4 brand spanking new high quality bolts. Many of you guys will have some corrosion on your original bolts, these new bolts will be a nice touch to go back with. And lastly, instructions. Even if you're handy with a wrench, there's maybe a few nuances that will save you some time, and some other points about what to do. All you need is a 14 mm wrench, preferably a 14 mm socket wrench.

I've spent a long time figuring out how to go about this. I abandoned an earlier idea that was MUCH more complex, MUCH less Lexus-like (meaning, it was too darn loud all the time), and it was much more expensive. This "Exhaust Vent Kit" is so simple, I still can't believe it works this well. The kit is $120 shipped. That's in the neighborhood of 4 times less expensive than some kind of muffler replacement ... and with this kit, if you don't like it, it is 100% reversible ... and easily done. Take the kit back out, and resell it, for like $60 or whatever. It just doesn't get any better than this, IMHO.

I mean, worse case. You drop $120 ... who hasn't done that on their car? And if you don't like it, you can go right back to stock in a snap, and pass this kit on to another, possibly getting half your money back. And you'd be out, what about 60 bucks? Big friggin deal ... right? The thing is, if you like this V8 engine in our LS vehicles, you're going to love to hear it. But this kit won't make it loud enough to have your wife go, "what the heck did you do?" It is a pure pleasure on the ears.

Sorry to drag this out, but when I drove Tee's car over to the shade in the parking lot, and he drove mine (around the lot for a while to listen to it), I was immediately dissatisfied with the quietness. It's just too quiet stock. I will say, that his car is a lot prettier than mine. He has the best color combo IMHO, and some good looking rims. I could not go back to stock quiet now. I have YET to have 1 single person say my car was either too loud, or did not sound good, or did not sound like a Lexus. This is the way this car should sound. My opinion.

But still, I want to hear what Roadfrog has to say, including a critique of my instructions.

7milesout
Old 05-24-16, 12:43 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Looks like you have a winner. Congrats 7! I guess eventually we'll link up one of these days since you are here in the ATL area. Hopefully we can get the entire LS crew back together again for a mini meet sometime in 2016 lol
Thanks CJITTY - If you guys form a mini-meet, I'd love to meet all you guys. Give me enough notice to have some boxed up and ready to divvy out at the meet. I'm guessing when my car is heard, many guys will want this. Maybe we could put them in right there on the spot.

I don't know if Tee will remember, exactly the first thing he said to me. But I loved that guy from the first words out of his mouth! Because I was thinking the same thing, and he made me laugh. You see, I chose the spot for us to meet just geographically based on where those 2 lived and where I had been all day at a BMX race. And the location looked nice on google maps satellite view. And I didn't know the area. But as I rolled in, I saw Tee ... and he was rolling toward me. We stopped side by side and we put down our windows and he said ... well, I want to see if he remembers what he said! Because, it was exactly what I was thinking and was glad he said it as well as it was funny as he11. Do you remember Tee?

7milesout

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...