LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear End Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 06:53 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah these cars are really sensitive to imperfect tires. When I put my brand new OEM wheels on and brand new pirellis, I can see a slight vibration if I have a paper bag on the passenger seat. I can't feel it, but it wasn't there on my original tires (or maybe I never noticed it before, not sure).

Not sure if it's the multi link setup or what, but I would imagine that out of round tires, even minutely, will affect it.

It's not bad enough for me to road force balance or shave or get new tires, but I'm curious how it will change when I go into my 5k service and they rotate my tires and put that brand new spare with a brand new never used tire into the rotation. I'll report back. I could just be imagining it/being paranoid and once you notice something it never leaves your brain, subconsciously at least.

Also, my previous car experienced vibration at speeds due to motor and transmission mounts although what I'm seeing, not feeling mind you, seems different although I have no idea.
Old 03-25-16, 08:45 AM
vb9594
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

It appears that this was solved. It turned out to be the tires. Follow me on this:

1. Initially, the tech at my dealership brought me into the service bay and had the car on a lift and the car in Drive. Showed me the rear tires spinning and you could see a wobble on both sides. The car had Michelins on it (bought the car used).

2. Next step was for me to put winter tires on it. Vibration was still there. The tech asked me to wait until I bought new tires in the spring before they pursued. I was fine with that.

3. March '16 I bought Pirelli P7s. They vibrated. The tire is very highly rated, though.

4. I bring the car in and the tech puts it on the lift and immediately calls me over. The tires were wobbling again. I couldn't believe it. That means I've had 3 sets of imperfectly round tires on the car. He then had another tech step on the gas and it was incredible how sloppily the tires were spinning. He strongly recommends I put Bridgestone EL42s on it. I tell him I've only seen mediocre reviews for the tire but he says it's the best performing tire (in terms of smoothness) that he's seen on the LS. My tire shop agrees to take my Pirellis back and I have the dealer put the Bridgestones on.

Vibration gone. Smooth as a baby's behind. The tech did warn me that the Bridgestones are very soft and I need to be religious about rotation. He said to expect 20 to 25,000 miles out of them. In his opinion, they are the best tire for the car and so far, he's proven himself right. I'll keep monitoring and will report back if there are any changes, but I am extremely pleased.

One side comment: Between the P7s and the Bridgestones, I can't really tell any difference. Seems to have the same noise level and grip. That being said, the P7s have a much better warranty. I know there are several people on the board here who are very pleased with them.

And let me thank everyone who chimed in here to help. Very, very much appreciated.
Old 03-25-16, 08:51 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by vb9594
It appears that this was solved. It turned out to be the tires. Follow me on this:

1. Initially, the tech at my dealership brought me into the service bay and had the car on a lift and the car in Drive. Showed me the rear tires spinning and you could see a wobble on both sides. The car had Michelins on it (bought the car used).

2. Next step was for me to put winter tires on it. Vibration was still there. The tech asked me to wait until I bought new tires in the spring before they pursued. I was fine with that.

3. March '16 I bought Pirelli P7s. They vibrated. The tire is very highly rated, though.

4. I bring the car in and the tech puts it on the lift and immediately calls me over. The tires were wobbling again. I couldn't believe it. That means I've had 3 sets of imperfectly round tires on the car. He strongly recommends I put Bridgestone EL42s on it. I tell him I've only seen mediocre reviews for the tire but he says it's the best performing tire (in terms of smoothness) that he's seen on the LS. My tire shop agrees to take my Pirellis back and I have the dealer put the Bridgestones on.

Vibration gone. Smooth as a baby's behind. The tech did warn me that the Bridgestones are very soft and I need to be religious about rotation. He said to expect 20 to 25,000 miles out of them. In his opinion, they are the best tire for the car and so far, he's proven himself right. I'll keep monitoring and will report back if there are any changes, but I am extremely pleased.

One side comment: Between the P7s and the Bridgestones, I can't really tell any difference. Seems to have the same noise level and grip. That being said, the P7s have a much better warranty. I know there are several people on the board here who are very pleased with them.

And let me thank everyone who chimed in here to help. Very, very much appreciated.
Excellent news - glad it got resolved!

I have, in the past, also been "encouraged" to go with the Bridgestones but have avoided them. The old Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires that Lexus also used to offer as OE, while not a great all-around tire, did make the car drive like a dream, and that is what - at the time - I went with (with my 18" wheels).

I am glad the saga ended with a tire change... That was only the tip of the iceberg/beginning for my old car, as you know. FWIW, I am also surprised they didn't pick any of your issue up with the road-force balancer. I believe some of it should have come through via the RFV # and lateral force measurement numbers.
Old 03-25-16, 10:11 AM
vb9594
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

When I bought it, it had the Michelin MXM4s on it and that's the first set that was identified as wobbly. The tech was telling me he doesn't recommend Michelin anymore because he feels like they've gone downhill.

I was also surprised about the Road Force not picking it up- he gave me a reason why but it escapes me right now. As for the Bridgestones- definitely not a tire I would have normally bought, based on online reviews and lack of warranty, but the he was so sure that they were the best tire for the car I decided to give it a shot. So far, so good.
Old 03-25-16, 11:45 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

vb9594 - you had the exact same experience I had (see my earlier post). My EL42 tires were great when they were new but now after 20k miles the treadwear looks ok but the vibration is back. There are a lot of posts about Pirelli Cinturato tires being great and I was going to give them a try but it appears they did not work for you.

What I can't understand is why a few of us are having these vibration issues that require the EL42 tires to fix when most other members use other tires with no problems?? And I previously owned a 2007 LS and ran Michelin tires with no problems whatsoever. It seems to me there is something else going on that makes certain cars very susceptible to feeling very slight tire vibration while most LS cars it is not a problem.
Old 02-20-19, 05:05 AM
ronv350z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post! I have experienced this vibration as well on my 2007 LS460L. It was familiar though because i had that same vibration on my 99 LS years ago.
Old 06-15-22, 08:31 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you get the vibration fixed?

Thanks
Old 07-22-22, 04:07 AM
mtrali10
2nd gear

Originally Posted by caha14
Interestingly, the TSIB includes some suspension work. I am not suggesting that this is, specifically, what Rhambler is referring to, but it's clearly part of the mix (even if the driveshaft is the big item - which, incidentally, TSIB calls for re-indexing, not replacement, except this didn't work on my car).
Will replacing the driveshaft be enough? How is the re-indexing done?
Old 09-01-23, 04:33 PM
07blkphoenixls460
Driver School Candidate

Default Does it go away if you upgrade wheels to 20”s

Originally Posted by mtrali10
Will replacing the driveshaft be enough? How is the re-indexing done?
im just curious i just bought a 07 and I’m having a rear end vibration and I thought it was the wheels so I replace the rims but re-used the tires. I am still having the same vibration i was having before. My question is would the vibration go away if I replaced the wheels and tires and go completely different size. And also if I just replace the driveline with a new updated one? Thank you for anyone that has any input.

Last edited by 07blkphoenixls460; 09-05-23 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-01-23, 05:08 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Not if it's a bad bearing or suspension part. Lots of parts can give a vibration. Was the car ever in an accident and confirmed no "frame" damage? Assuming that the wheels were balanced and rechecked on another day (maybe threw a balance weight).
More background info might help. Did it vibrate when you bought it? When did it start? Does it increase with rpm or speed?

Last edited by swfla; 09-01-23 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-04-23, 02:10 PM
07blkphoenixls460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
Not if it's a bad bearing or suspension part. Lots of parts can give a vibration. Was the car ever in an accident and confirmed no "frame" damage? Assuming that the wheels were balanced and rechecked on another day (maybe threw a balance weight).
More background info might help. Did it vibrate when you bought it? When did it start? Does it increase with rpm or speed?
no car was in no accident and yes the car had the vibration and I thought it was bent wheel so I put other 18 wheels but used the same tires now the vibration seems a bit more aggressive after 60mph so now I am thinking it’s the tires. So my thing is if I just switched completely with a whole new set of wheels and tires if that would help the vibration with going with 20” and definitely not doing Michelin tires as I see that the ls does not like them very well.
Old 09-04-23, 02:58 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

If the wheels and tires are the problem (and nothing else) then your problem will be gone when you buy new wheels and tires. Wheel size makes no difference other than a harsher ride with larger wheels due to less sidewall to absorb road vibration. 18" will give the smoothest ride.
Old 09-04-23, 03:02 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 687 Likes on 508 Posts

Try rotating the wheels with the tires on back to front, if the vibration stays in the rear it's not the tire/wheel combo.
Old 09-04-23, 04:22 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Gerf comes through with a great way to isolate the issue!! Simple and diagnostic.
Old 09-04-23, 08:57 PM
Wlmitty
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder if the rear half shafts maybe a culprit. A worn CV joint can vibrate like that too.

Quick Reply: Rear End Vibration