LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Really Enjoying My Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 05:57 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Really Enjoying My Car

I just broke 2k miles and I'm really enjoying my car. First time in a long, long time that I actually just like to drive it for no other reason than to drive it. It's so smooth, plush and comfortable, it's like I'm driving around while sitting in my living room, I love it. Actually, I like being in my car more than my living room, lol. Just need a big screen TV in front of me and it would be complete.

I think I've finally reached a point where my muscle memory has caught up with me learning the nuances of the car in regards to button locations, shortcuts to certain features, etc. It's been a long time since I've had a new car and the first month everything was new to me, but now I've finally reached a point where I can do things without me really thinking about them, which is nice. Everything is dialed in perfectly to the way I want it. Took a while to get the seats comfortable, but now they are perfect. Stereo is fully set, I know what to change in the climate settings to adjust it quickly to what I want. I've smashed on the gas pedal, played around in sport mode, raced a mustang from a stoplight and won, already threw in a bottle of Techron and probably will request an oil change at 5k miles even though they don't recommend it.

One thing I'm still getting use to is the wood steering wheel. I've never had a car that wasn't fully wrapped in leather and I find my metal watch periodically hitting the steering wheel. I'm really paranoid about leaving marks or scuffs on the wood and because of that, I'm not fully comfortable yet. I either have to not care about it or maybe just take off my watch or adjust how I move my hands around while I drive. Can't imagine that nice steering wheel would last long if I was still wearing my wedding band.

The plain stereo is awesome too. 260 some odd watts (confirmed) is plenty loud and it's nice that I've finally have everything set to what I want. However, I still kind of dislike the small volume steps versus my previous car. I have to do two steps in volume changes to equal one in my previous car. It's not a big deal, but still aggravating to me to have long throws in volume increments to make adjustments.

In any case, loving it. The 19 inch wheels and P7 plus tires really capped an otherwise perfect car. It just looks so much better. The huge body of the car and large wheel well almost demands it. If you are rolling 18s, I highly recommend going to 19s. You don't lose any comfort and it just looks amazing.
Old 03-06-16, 07:12 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Glad you're enjoying it, Rhambler!

I'm going through the same process right now in my "new to me" 2013 LWB.

So much to learn in this car.

Out of curiosity, are you leasing, financing, or did you purchase flat-out?

I ask because typically "final model year" car purchasers are of a certain "risk-averse" type... and don't necessarily mind that someone else may be driving the "same" car (used version) for half or a third of the cost.

If I understand it correctly, the 2017 will be "all-new"?
Old 03-06-16, 07:32 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Good for you. There's much to love and time to drive. Enjoy.
Old 03-06-16, 08:15 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I have no qualms about getting the last model year. Typically the most bug-free of the lot.

I'm leasing this car. The last three cars that I've owned were leases. BMW turned in right after the lease (thankfully) whereas I purchased the Acura after that lease and that car lasted me ten solid years. Right now I have every intention of just buying this car after the lease, but I wanted an option to hedge my bets. If I don't want it or want the new LS, I can do it very easily. On the other hand, if I want to keep this car, I have that choice.
Old 03-06-16, 08:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Good for you Rhambler. It's been over two years now in my 2008 LS and to this day, I still look forward to getting in and driving it.....or just sitting at a standstill marvelling at the sound from my Mark Levinson system. It is my sanctuary. No stress worrying about what might break or malfunction (unlike my previous BMW's).

Your 5k mile oil changes are perfectly reasonable. yes you can go 10k like I did, but to be honest, I am likely to drop back down to 6k.

ENJOY!
Old 03-06-16, 09:25 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Nice thread, good to hear I'm not alone in loving driving this car.

A little over two years of ownership for me - added 50k miles to the 70k it had when I bought it - and it still drives fantastic. I just did an alignment to it the other day and it feels almost as if it's new (120k miles). I've never owned a car that feels this good with 120k miles on it, usually that's the point where you'll start getting that loose feeling, but the car is tight and quiet.
Old 03-06-16, 12:37 PM
VIPanda460
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new ride! Going to 22's I didn't lose that "smooth and quiet" comfort either only on hard bumps so still pretty impressed of the ride overall!
Old 03-06-16, 01:21 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

The LS460 is a fine automobile and a pleasure to drive. It's the best automobile I've owned and I love to brag about it to others. I have friends who owns BMW, MB, Audi and they make frequent visits to the shop like I did when I own them. I'm confident with my 460 and have no regrets.
Old 03-06-16, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Congrats buddy! Yeah these cars really grow on you. You will like it more and more over time. It becomes like that really nice pair of shoes it just gets better as it ages.

It's funny, some mornings I get out of bed and I remember that I get to drive my LS today and it puts a little spring in my step!
Old 03-06-16, 03:55 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the first of the final update to the LS 460: a 2013 F Sport. I'm in the north end of Los Angeles and in the two months I've had it don't think I've seen a single current-style LS, F Sport or otherwise. Just have to wonder where they all are. There are two 2007-2012 models that I know of in my 'hood and see a handful on the roads in the area.

I occasionally get fooled seeing a spindle grill approaching, but it's usually an ES. I'd probably see some around Beverly Hills/West L.A.

Originally Posted by jasone36

I ask because typically "final model year" car purchasers are of a certain "risk-averse" type... and don't necessarily mind that someone else may be driving the "same" car (used version) for half or a third of the cost.

If I understand it correctly, the 2017 will be "all-new"?
Old 03-06-16, 03:57 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Good for you Rhambler. It's been over two years now in my 2008 LS and to this day, I still look forward to getting in and driving it.....or just sitting at a standstill marvelling at the sound from my Mark Levinson system. It is my sanctuary. No stress worrying about what might break or malfunction (unlike my previous BMW's).

ENJOY!
This morning leaving the gym, my car was on the end (as usual) and I smiled all the way to the door. What a joy.
Old 03-06-16, 06:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I just broke 2k miles and I'm really enjoying my car. First time in a long, long time that I actually just like to drive it for no other reason than to drive it. It's so smooth, plush and comfortable, it's like I'm driving around while sitting in my living room, I love it. Actually, I like being in my car more than my living room, lol. Just need a big screen TV in front of me and it would be complete.
Originally Posted by jasone36
I'm going through the same process right now in my "new to me" 2013 LWB.
Originally Posted by roadfrog
It's been over two years now in my 2008 LS and to this day, I still look forward to getting in and driving it.....or just sitting at a standstill marvelling at the sound from my Mark Levinson system.
Originally Posted by Doublebase
Nice thread, good to hear I'm not alone in loving driving this car.
Originally Posted by bustarice
Going to 22's I didn't lose that "smooth and quiet" comfort either only on hard bumps so still pretty impressed of the ride overall!
Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The LS460 is a fine automobile and a pleasure to drive. It's the best automobile I've owned and I love to brag about it to others.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's funny, some mornings I get out of bed and I remember that I get to drive my LS today and it puts a little spring in my step!
Originally Posted by R Z
This morning leaving the gym, my car was on the end (as usual) and I smiled all the way to the door. What a joy.
You know you guys should keep quiet about this, next thing you know the government is going to add a pleasure tax to all LS's!
Old 03-07-16, 05:50 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

It really is like driving around on my big, comfy couch with a big V8 engine tucked underneath, lol. It's so dang smooth and effortless now. I think the computer finally learned all of my nuances, transmission especially. Took 2k miles, but I tried to vary my driving behavior (within reason) during that time and it's all dialed in.

Thought it was finished at 1k, but I noticed some subtle changes. Throttle response and shifts are all perfect. Seemed a bit strange during the first 500 miles, but got better and better and seems downright perfect now. Never had a car that took this long to learn, of course, I've never had a car that had this type of "learning" in it before.

In any case, it's feels absolutely perfect now at 2k than at 60 miles when I drove off the lot and it was amazing to me back then.
Old 03-08-16, 05:56 PM
pa06810
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great car. I`ve been in a 2011 LS AWD for 3 months. I smile every time I drive it. It did run a little rough, rough for a Lexus, when I first got it . I had a transmission update done at Lexus dealer as the torque converter was locking up at incorrect times, shutter, etc. No charge,fixed 90 percent of the driveability problem. A can of BG44K in the fuel tank did wonders. I just cleaned the mass air sensors (CRC) which put the car to 100 percent. Cleaning the sensors did a lot. It seems like this car was lugged around its whole life, 31k miles. It was from a salt area and I think some of that winter salt film coated the sensors. The car is really alive now, especially in power mode, very fast! I added a PS Nav override as well. Great forum and thread...
Old 03-09-16, 12:55 PM
AxleBrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur. I have only had mine a few days and I'm quite taken by it's manners.
It welcomes me in by lighting my way to the door and then closes it behind me.

I drove my other vehicle today (because it's raining and she's still dealer detailed clean)
my 2002 4 Runner I bought new and will never part w/ but the entire time I'm in it I'm
thinking "Why can't I get comfortable in this seat?" which I didn't consider harsh before.