LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Gas Brands: share your experiences

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 11:29 AM
v8mac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Been driving for over 50 years and have never had one brand perform better than another.
I agree.

I use whichever is cheapest at the time from Shell/Chevron/Exxon for peace of mind that the additives are somehow helping. When I'm in a bind I'd use Murphy.

I do log fillups/service/performance notes in a spreadsheet and have noticed that some petrol stations, regardless of brand have poorer mpg/other performance.
Why? Tank contamination, misrepresented octane, who knows....?
I just avoid those.
Old 01-04-16, 11:38 AM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shambler
So I'm kind of OCD when it comes to gas brands.

So, based on my anecdotal findings, here is how I rated them from best to worst:

1. Chevron
HUGE GAP
2. Shell
HUGE GAP
3. Exxon
4. BP
5. Arco

The differences, in my opinion, between Chevron premium and the rest was huge. If I couldn't find a Chevron, I would go with Shell, but it wasn't nearly as good as Chevron.

The rest, including Exxon, BP and Arco were just crap in my opinion.

To this day, I only use Chevron and haven't been disappointed at all.

So what gas brand do you use?
HUGE GAP by what measurement? MPG, 0-60 time, seat of the pants, cleanness of combustion chambers after tear down, ???

Last edited by bsimonds; 01-04-16 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-16, 12:16 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I've been in the refining and pipeline industry for 20+ years, I'll give you my two cents. Raw gasoline, (no additives) is made to specification for the area served. California has a special blend, so the refineries make the raw gas to that specification. A host of analyzers ensure the gas meets spec and records are kept and verified. The south, east, and most of the midwest is served by pipelines. Refineries in the Houston area all pool the raw gas into the two or three main pipelines and it spits out at various tank farms along the way. It is then piped to a local distribution center, where the additives are added in and trucked to the local gas station. Except for Amoco 93, that is kept by itself in the pipeline.

So, yes, worry about old junky gas stations, but most have fiberglass tanks underground per EPA laws. But don't worry about the raw gas. It is all the same. In fact, refiners will sometime err on the side of more octane giveaway. So midrange makes the most sense, if you can get it. Additives do make a difference, I guess.
Old 01-04-16, 12:59 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Gas is gas.

Old 01-04-16, 01:16 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been trying 87 Octane (Non Ethanol) gas over the last two tanks. So far so good.
Old 01-04-16, 01:46 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I run 93 octane from Mobil all the time in both vehicles. Shell only has 91 octane where I live. Conoco Phillips has 93 octane where I live as well as BP.
Old 01-04-16, 02:00 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Sam's Club 93 gas on all my vehicles including my turbo car, when extra octane is not necessary.
Old 01-04-16, 02:56 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bsimonds
HUGE GAP by what measurement? MPG, 0-60 time, seat of the pants, cleanness of combustion chambers after tear down, ???

Seat of the pants! Lol, yeah it's all anecdotal. Just "felt" more sluggish and throttle-response, smoothness all felt off to me comparatively speaking.

Of course, there might be other factors involved, as others have mentioned, and it was all based on my subjective feel and nothing more.

In any case, I still choose Chevron almost exclusively.
Old 01-04-16, 03:25 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here JUD149. Now using shell v-power because of the additives but have never really noticed a difference.
Old 01-04-16, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,872 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
The reviews showing a lack of difference between stations is testament to how the LS is not sensitive to octane. I have experienced the same thing in all 3 generations of the LS's I have owned. Other vehicles I have are much more sensitive. Shell, BP, Chevron, and Exxon were the most consistent for higher octane quality in my experience.
I don't find this unique to the LS or Lexus at all. I can't tell a difference in any vehicle.
Old 01-04-16, 04:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 412 Likes on 319 Posts

I usually get Shell, but over the years I've used all brands and discount no name gas. Frankly I've never really noticed a difference. Occasionally I seem to notice that my gas mileage was a little below normal, but then it could have been a different mix of driving.
Old 01-04-16, 04:53 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, to be honest, I haven't tried other brands in this vehicle yet and basing my opinions on my previous vehicles.

I could tell or feel, subjectively, differences in the Honda 3.5L engine in my Acura and even more so in my older cars.

Maybe I'll run through a couple tanks of other brands and see if there's a difference.
Old 01-05-16, 06:43 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't find this unique to the LS or Lexus at all. I can't tell a difference in any vehicle.
Don't know if you have ever had a vehicle tuned to high octane fuel but this is when you notice the biggest difference. Stock tunes are dumbed down to prevent preignition and knocking even in turbo & supercharged vehicles. After a custom tune it is much more noticeable. Need that octane to advance the timing.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 01-05-16 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,872 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
Don't know if you have ever had a vehicle tuned to high octane fuel but this is when you notice the biggest difference. Stock tunes are dumbed down to prevent preignition and knocking even in turbo & supercharged vehicles. After a custom tune it is much more noticeable. Need that octane to advance the timing.
I've had three Lexus LS sedans, a GS, two ES's that specified premium fuel although that's the Camry engine. I've never had anything with a custom tune.
Old 01-05-16, 07:17 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've had three Lexus LS sedans, a GS, two ES's that specified premium fuel although that's the Camry engine. I've never had anything with a custom tune.
I have the same experience as you with factory tunes. Very different story with custom tunes. The vehicle becomes much more sensitive to lower octane fuels. Then again you gain significant hp and tq over the factory setup.

Quick Reply: Gas Brands: share your experiences