LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transferring XM Accounts from Old Vehicle (Nav Traffic)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 05:58 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Transferring XM Accounts from Old Vehicle (Nav Traffic)

I'm about to transfer my XM account from my old Acura. My subscription consisted of the basic music and XM's nav-traffic, which showed real-time traffic (only way to get that info on my old car).

Does anyone know the difference between XM nav-traffic, HD radio traffic and app suite traffic? I assume the HD radio traffic is free, is that correct? Is there a difference between the three?

I just want to make sure before I cancel the XM nav-traffic.

I must admit that the manual that came with my car is about three times as thick as my Acura, and I haven't read through it all yet, but it wasn't very clear in explaining the differences between HD radio and app suite traffic and made no mention at all of XM nav-traffic as I assume who would use it if one of the others are free.

Last edited by Rhambler; 12-18-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-18-15, 06:44 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

While I've always subscribed to XM, I never got the traffic option so I can't comment on it. I also don't have HD radio, so no help there either. I do have WAZE on my cell phone and have used it a couple times. It seems to work well and its free. It will also give you warnings of radar/police traps.
Old 12-18-15, 06:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I assume you have a new LS (at least a 14 or 15) if you have HD Traffic? The manual would not discuss XM NavTraffic because the car doesn't have that feature, instead it has HD Traffic. You do not need a subscription from XM to have the traffic work in this car, you can cancel that.

Its basically the same thing, just free and has better coverage. The data is pretty useless though.

If your LS new or CPO? If so you have a 6 month XM trial so I would wait to transfer your service because doing so will end the free trial.
Old 12-18-15, 07:27 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I only have the middle of the road package which I re-negotiate about every 6 months since it's cheaper that way. with a new car purchase XM-Sirius should give you 3 months free. When you call them, just ask about your nav-traffic and I'm sure they can give you the info you need.
Old 12-18-15, 09:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You do not need XM NavTraffic for a 2014-2016 LS. Thats all the info you need there
Old 12-18-15, 03:21 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
I'm about to transfer my XM account from my old Acura. My subscription consisted of the basic music and XM's nav-traffic, which showed real-time traffic (only way to get that info on my old car).

Does anyone know the difference between XM nav-traffic, HD radio traffic and app suite traffic? I assume the HD radio traffic is free, is that correct? Is there a difference between the three?

I just want to make sure before I cancel the XM nav-traffic.

I must admit that the manual that came with my car is about three times as thick as my Acura, and I haven't read through it all yet, but it wasn't very clear in explaining the differences between HD radio and app suite traffic and made no mention at all of XM nav-traffic as I assume who would use it if one of the others are free.
Wow, that is a complex question. All three of these traffic information services are delivered via different technologies. The XM Nav-Traffic is delivered via signals from a geosynchronous satellite. The HD Radio information is delivered via AM and FM radio signals. I live in a large metropolitan area, DFW, and I can't find a single station that has the Traffic/Weather info and anIinternet search doesn't show this service being available anywhere in the US - must be a future thing. The "app suite traffic" is delivered via the cellular data network and uses you phones bandwidth - free if you have an unlimited plan, not so free otherwise. All three technologies have their signal deliver limitations. And, they all have different coverage limitations. I use XM -Traffic -Weather - Travel Link. The XM is integrated into the car's navigation system and that provides several advantages. The XM coverage is better in some areas than others - you can go to the XM web site to see a coverage map.
Old 12-18-15, 03:53 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks!

Yeah the manual mentioned HD traffic and App suite traffic only. It's a 2016. I confirmed that XM nav traffic isn't even an option for my car as someone else mentioned.

Just curious, which traffic takes precedent or is that a user option, assuming you have access to both HD and the suite?
Old 12-18-15, 04:03 PM
jmcraney

Thanks!

Yeah the manual mentioned HD traffic and App suite traffic only. It's a 2016. I confirmed that XM nav traffic isn't even an option for my car as someone else mentioned.

Just curious, which traffic takes precedent or is that a user option, assuming you have access to both HD and the suite?
Does your car have XM radio? Not sure about your question as to precedence, if you have chosen Radio then radio is displayed, it you have chosen an app then the app would be displayed.
Old 12-18-15, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The traffic he's talking about displays real time traffic data on the map, it's not an audible radio traffic broadcast.

It shows green, red and yellow traffic indicators on the roadways displayed on the map.

Not sure about the app suite traffic since I've never used that.
Old 12-18-15, 04:54 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The traffic he's talking about displays real time traffic data on the map, it's not an audible radio traffic broadcast.

It shows green, red and yellow traffic indicators on the roadways displayed on the map.

Not sure about the app suite traffic since I've never used that.
I assumed that he was talking about a display map in the car's dash display. In the case of the XM Traffic: that is displayed on the car generated GPS navigation map with traffic speeds color coded in three levels and collisions and construction noted and an audible description when selected. In the App Suite mode: the display is a function of the application that is being received by cellular phone. The HD Radio traffic mode doesn't seem to exist yet but would be a function of the radio station selected when the display mode is Radio.
Old 12-18-15, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The HD Radio traffic is displayed the same way as the XMNavTraffic. Has nothing to do with the radio station selected. Doesnt have to be in radio mode...
Old 12-19-15, 04:19 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, it's confusing. It's not explained very well in the manual.

My MY doesn't have XM Nav Traffic or it isn't even offered according to the XM rep. I do have XM radio, though.

I'm just wondering which one my car is currently using and if I there's a difference between the HD traffic and app suite traffic info. And if there is a difference, can I force one or the other? I couldn't find that anywhere.

I live in an area with a lot of traffic and use that traffic info all the time.
Old 12-19-15, 06:21 AM
jmcraney

Yeah, it's confusing. It's not explained very well in the manual.

My MY doesn't have XM Nav Traffic or it isn't even offered according to the XM rep. I do have XM radio, though.

I'm just wondering which one my car is currently using and if I there's a difference between the HD traffic and app suite traffic info. And if there is a difference, can I force one or the other? I couldn't find that anywhere.

I live in an area with a lot of traffic and use that traffic info all the time.
If your car is a 2007 or later LS460/LS600 and it is equipped with XM and GPS nav it will do XM Traffic.

If you have some interest is "HD Radio" technology, they have a web site. Although there is a mention of traffic and weather on their site, I don't think that feature is being broadcast yet.

http://hdradio.com

On my 2014 LS460 I have to first select the display menu, and then the Radio display, and then tune in to a station, AM or FM, that is broadcasting in the HD Radio format and then there is a button to select "Traffic" but there is no traffic data available. When I scan the band for HD Radio Traffic I don't find a single station. And, when I Google "HD Radio Traffic" I don't find anything about others using this feature.

Last edited by jmcraney; 12-19-15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're incorrect here jmcraney. LS460s and all 2015+ Lexus vehicles that have HD Radio traffic do NOT have the ability to use XM NavTraffic. Lexus replaced the XM traffic with the HD radio traffic.

The "traffic" button on the radio screen jumps to traffic bulletins and audio traffic reports. That is separate from the HD radio traffic which simply always displays on the map screen just as XM traffic did.

The system on a 2015 LS is different from what's on your 2014. Your 2014 still has XM Nav Traffic. The 2016 has a different system than what is on the 2015, but still has HD radio traffic and not XM Nav Traffic.

The data comes over the radio signal vs the satellite signal, and it's free vs cost, that's the only difference.

I do not have an XM traffic subscription, yet I have traffic displayed on my map.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-19-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 09:45 AM
jmcraney

I stand corrected. Thank you for clearing that up. Shambler didn't indicate the model/year of his car and I thought we were talking about a 2007.

Quick Reply: Transferring XM Accounts from Old Vehicle (Nav Traffic)