LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Heated Steering Wheel Light Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 07:30 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel Light Stays On

Just picked up a 2009 LS 460 with 35k. Car is gorgeous and I'll post a separate thread with all the details. But...the heated steering wheel light is illuminated and stays illuminated even if the car is off. Won't go off by pushing the button and the wheel doesn't seem warm. Could it be a fuse? Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 09-28-15, 08:52 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your new addition!

Does the heated wheel work when you press the button with the car on and then wait a minute?

After experiencing mine, I don't think the wife will let me buy her a car without a heated wheel again...
Old 09-29-15, 07:32 AM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
Just picked up a 2009 LS 460 with 35k. Car is gorgeous and I'll post a separate thread with all the details. But...the heated steering wheel light is illuminated and stays illuminated even if the car is off. Won't go off by pushing the button and the wheel doesn't seem warm. Could it be a fuse? Has this happened to anyone else?
I don't think we have had a problem like yours in our forum - seems to be very rare.

The only other thing I can suggest is to disconnect the car battery for a few minutes. That's very unlikely to be productive but it is fairly easy to do and doesn't cost any thing.

After that, I think it's a trip to the Lexus dealer or Toyota dealer or an independent expert.
Old 09-29-15, 08:18 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I don't think we have had a problem like yours in our forum - seems to be very rare.

The only other thing I can suggest is to disconnect the car battery for a few minutes. That's very unlikely to be productive but it is fairly easy to do and doesn't cost any thing.

After that, I think it's a trip to the Lexus dealer or Toyota dealer or an independent expert.
Thanks for the feedback. I just bought the car yesterday, should have had the dealer put that on the due bill. Oh well, the steering wheel doesn't seem to be warm from what I can tell. I'll have my mechanic take a look at it when I take it in for an oil change in the next week or so. I don't really care if it works or not as I live in San Diego and will never use it. I just don't want it on all the time draining the battery...but that doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell.
Old 09-29-15, 12:54 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats on your 460 and I know that light may be irritating and take a little joy away but you have a fine automobile. I would definitely take it back to the dealership and have a talk with them because that light should not be staying on. They should repair it without charge and hopefully you have some type of warranty since it's low mileage.
Old 09-29-15, 01:06 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I just bought the car yesterday, should have had the dealer put that on the due bill. Oh well, the steering wheel doesn't seem to be warm from what I can tell. I'll have my mechanic take a look at it when I take it in for an oil change in the next week or so. I don't really care if it works or not as I live in San Diego and will never use it. I just don't want it on all the time draining the battery...but that doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell.
I absolutely agree with dlbucksls10.
I honestly don't think that is so much about the fact that you don't use it.
Its more about the fact that the light stays on and there seems to be no physical evidence of the option being operative.
It could be as easy as a battery reset as jmcraney stated.
Or it could be something small that could evolve into damaging something else electronically.
As you just purchased this vehicle, I would promptly take it back to where you purchased the vehicle from and have them take a look at it.
If its not a Lexus dealership from which you purchased the car, and they cant properly diagnose the issue, see if they will allow you to take it to a Lexus shop, have them diagnose the issue and have the selling dealership take care of it.
Its just best to have any and all issues immediately addressed, especially following the purchase.
There stands to be a better chance it'll be taken care of and not on your dime.
Old 09-29-15, 05:01 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies guys. The dealership is 2 hours away just North of LA. It's a pain to get to as I'm down in San Diego. It wasn't a Lexus dealer (Cadillac dealer). I asked about the light staying on when we got back from the test drive and the salesman said it will go off when I shut the door. I figured he was full of ***** when he said that because I was pushing it on and off and the light was staying lit the whole time...and it's lit when the car is off and doors are locked. But I wasn't to concerned about it, everything else seems to be functioning as it should.

My fault for not making sure it was on the due bill when signing docs. The service at the dealer was pretty poor and I really don't see them doing anything about it. Even if they offered to take a look at it, it's 2 hours away minimum each direction, plus the time at the dealer. I've seriously got no time with 2 young children and both my wife and I working full time. Just to get up there yesterday was a PITA.

I just purchased a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty from my credit union today and I can take it to any ASE certified shop. So I can take it to Lexus. I'll try resetting the battery first, if that doesn't work I will have it looked at during my next oil change. My deductible is $200 and I know that not having to deal with going back to LA to fix this issue is worth $200 to me, not having to take time off work, etc. Perhaps it's just a loose wire, a fuse or the switch itself.

It's odd that this issue hasn't come up before...that makes me think (hope) it's something simple.
Old 10-25-15, 09:00 AM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

I was reading through the "customizable features" on the 2014 LS460 and noticed that the heated steering wheel feature can be disabled. You should have your custom settings checked to see if the steering wheel heating is disabled. The light being on all the time may indicate that it is disabled.
Old 10-25-15, 09:46 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I was reading through the "customizable features" on the 2014 LS460 and noticed that the heated steering wheel feature can be disabled. You should have your custom settings checked to see if the steering wheel heating is disabled. The light being on all the time may indicate that it is disabled.
Thanks for the tip. I'll ask next time I have the car serviced. I went to an independent shop to have the oil changed a few weeks back and he didn't have the proper tool to check the individual error codes. He told me the wheel was being heated when the car was on, which I disagree with. It's not warm at all even though the light is on. But I will have that checked for sure.
Old 10-25-15, 09:58 AM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Well, I spoke too soon. The steering wheel heating doesn't seem to be customizable on the 2009 models. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-26-15, 08:48 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Electrical Concerns

Toyota electrical issues are extremely rare. Most can be traced to a blown fuse and the "light on" can indicate the fuse removal or failure. It is a complete pain, but grab the owners manual and find the responsible fuses, pull them, and have a good look at them. If they pass the visual inspection, your next move is to disconnect the battery for 3 min. and reconnect it. Please keep us updated.
Old 11-10-15, 08:18 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Wanted to update this thread. So the steering heater does indeed work and pressing the button turns it off and on, but the late stays on continuously. Press it once, the wheel begins to warm and it's noticeable. Press it again and within a few minutes you can feel the wheel start to return to ambient temperature. I repeated the process with the same results. So it's just the light that is staying on. Any ideas?

I never noticed before because it's been so damn hot in SoCal. Finally got some cooler weather and it's easier to test now.
Old 11-11-15, 05:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Wanted to update this thread. So the steering heater does indeed work and pressing the button turns it off and on, but the late stays on continuously. Press it once, the wheel begins to warm and it's noticeable. Press it again and within a few minutes you can feel the wheel start to return to ambient temperature. I repeated the process with the same results. So it's just the light that is staying on. Any ideas?

I never noticed before because it's been so damn hot in SoCal. Finally got some cooler weather and it's easier to test now.
If it were me, I'd replace the switch, Yes the switch is working as far as turning on the heater, but obviously something inside the switch is not cancelling the light inside the switch.
Old 11-11-15, 08:53 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
If it were me, I'd replace the switch, Yes the switch is working as far as turning on the heater, but obviously something inside the switch is not cancelling the light inside the switch.
So it looks like the switch may just comes as the set along with the mirror switch, park assist, etc. New they are $700-$800 but I know eBay has them for cheaper. I need to figure out if I want to go through my warranty with the $200 deductible or just go the eBay route.
Old 11-11-15, 11:18 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

So it looks like the switch may just comes as the set along with the mirror switch, park assist, etc. New they are $700-$800 but I know eBay has them for cheaper. I need to figure out if I want to go through my warranty with the $200 deductible or just go the eBay route.
You should go through the EBay rout since it's a pre existing condition.

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel Light Stays On