LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Where are the 600h's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 01:35 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys

My 600h "Executive" is registered 07-2009, so it's the first model. It's a SWB, no leather on the dash, no entertainment in the back. I do have as standard: LED headlights, motorized trunk opener/closer, soft door close thingy, heated and ventilated chairs with three memory's and adaptive cruise control. So nothing special.
Old 08-04-15, 05:17 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
two reasons:

a) except for 2008 and 2009 model years the LSh never sold well in the US. Blame the economic collapse and the price of oil dropping at that time. This also affects their availability on the used market. I looked for almost 2 years for my LSh and was about to give up.

b) Lexus kind of misjudged the hybrid market in the US for this car.

To be sure the LSh is an amazing car (even today 8 years after it went on sale) but in the US hybrid means fuel economy. The slightly better FE of the hybrid didn't cut it for most people; nor did the USD 30K price differential. Nobody is impressed when I tell them what my mileage is; after they figure out it's a hybrid.

Cars here are taxed on price; not CO2 emissions so there was no way to recover that offset. I think the thinking among most people in that price range was that the cost of fuel is inconsequential compared to the car; so those dollars might be better spent with something that had an AMG stapled to the back of it. Or something with a bunch of turbos bolted onto it at least.

The whole 'performance hybrid' thing never really caught on; and people were kind of horrified at the fact that the EPA rates the LSh mileage as seemingly lower than the RWD SWB car. And the 0-60 time is also slower.

At least on paper. On the road this car feels much much faster than the numbers give it credit for. Midrange pickup is almost Tesla-like in it's speed and intensity. I've gotten 27-28 mpg on long drives and 21-23 mpg consistently in town (so long as it's not a 2 minute drive to the corner). Name one other 438hp AWD car with this much luxury and speed that can do that. But alas it's lost on some people.
You make some good points all around, it sounds like a solid all around vehicle where you can get good fuel economy throughout all its ranges.
Old 08-04-15, 05:21 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I love my LS, but if I were spending over $100k...certainly upwards of $120k I would be in an S550...I wouldn't even consider an LS600hl. I think thats the issue here, $120k gets you a VERY well equipped S550.

I just love the way this car looks. Went to the Boston car show back in February and that car was probably the most impressive one I saw, just beautiful. If money was no object and I didn't have to worry about reliability or practicality, I'd buy that car. It's why all the sports stars around Boston own them and why I saw about 50 of them around Wall Street last week.
Old 08-04-15, 07:09 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Not a fan of the air vents.
Old 08-04-15, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I just love the way this car looks. Went to the Boston car show back in February and that car was probably the most impressive one I saw, just beautiful. If money was no object and I didn't have to worry about reliability or practicality, I'd buy that car. It's why all the sports stars around Boston own them and why I saw about 50 of them around Wall Street last week.
They are stunning cars IMHO. Incredibly well built, not a low rent feeling material anywhere in the interior. The solidity is incredible.

They are also are proof that people will and can pay for an outstanding product of outstanding quality. Base price is about $93k, and its rare to see one sticker below $100k. But...they're everywhere here. Sales leader in the segment, averaging nearly 1700 units a month. Just for comparisons sake, thats about what the GS sells...and 2-3 times what the LS460 currently sells. They don't have any kind of cheap or subsidized leases either...the lease deals are actually pretty bad.
Old 08-04-15, 05:48 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the road this car feels much much faster than the numbers give it credit for. Midrange pickup is almost Tesla-like in it's speed and intensity. I've gotten 27-28 mpg on long drives and 21-23 mpg consistently in town (so long as it's not a 2 minute drive to the corner). Name one other 438hp AWD car with this much luxury and speed that can do that. But alas it's lost on some people.
The 600 feels so smooth & quick I haven't ever been disappointed and I don't do the kind of driving that I need hooligan speed or cornering or whatever. The way it just immediately gets upb& goes when I step on the gas and goes and goes is a very comfortable feeling when entering traffic or the highway.

Coming from a Mercedes, I'd only buy the 550 if I only planned to keep it during the warranty period and I had a dealer who would pick it up & drop off another when it needed to go in for service. Doesn't matter if I'm not paying for the service if I have to be inconvenienced and my Benz has not been nearly as trouble free as either of my Lexuses or even my Toyota.

Slightly off topic - why do dealers give you loaners that are not as good as the car you're bringing in? I'd rather be tempted to buy an S when bringing in my E class then drive the C and know I wouldn't ever buy one.
Old 08-04-15, 08:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
Coming from a Mercedes, I'd only buy the 550 if I only planned to keep it during the warranty period and I had a dealer who would pick it up & drop off another when it needed to go in for service. Doesn't matter if I'm not paying for the service if I have to be inconvenienced and my Benz has not been nearly as trouble free as either of my Lexuses or even my Toyota.
People that are spending $100-120k on a car though are largely not going to own the car for more than 3-4 years, and they're not really concerned about the cost of servicing, repairs, warranties, etc. Note I'm not comparing a used purchase, the 600 is a very attractive used purchase, I'm talking about a new purchase.

The proof too is in the results. The S550 is the most expensive car in the segment, and it also outsells the second best selling car in the segment 2 to 1. Thats really astonishing. In fact, if you put the sales of the 7 Series, LS and A8 together (#2, #3 & #4 in the segment) together, they would barely equal the sales of the S Class, a car that starts ~$20,000 more expensive than any of them do. Thats over and above the market speaking.

If you compared those sales just to LS models that MSRP at $90k and above, its a enormous multiplier. If you compare it to just 600 sales, its even more enormous.

As for the pick up and drop off...every MB dealer I've ever seen will do that...as will most Lexus dealers FYI. Thats not an uncommon luxury car perk.

Slightly off topic - why do dealers give you loaners that are not as good as the car you're bringing in? I'd rather be tempted to buy an S when bringing in my E class then drive the C and know I wouldn't ever buy one.
Its economics. Dealerships can't afford to use $100k S Classes for service loaners. Theres the cost of the vehicle, insurance, maintenance, etc. The opportunity to sell a newer car isn't worth enough money to the dealership to take on that cost and risk.

You want to see a $200 MB oil change turn into a $500 MB oil change...have S Class loaners.
Old 08-07-15, 06:25 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgie
Here in the Netherland only the LS 600h is available, you can't buy the LS 460 here.
Because of the lower CO2 emission the LS 600h is cheaper than the 460.
My wife and I were in Amsterdam in June and I was surprised to see so many Teslas. There were privately owned ones, but what was really surprising was all the Tesla taxi cabs we saw. Apparently besides reduced taxes, there are other advantages/incentives to owning a zero emissions car.
Old 08-08-15, 07:30 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

You want to see a $200 MB oil change turn into a $500 MB oil change...have S Class loaners.
I've never gotten out of the dealer for less than $1K. They ALWAYS find something they "need" to fix. I switched to an indy and never get the upcharges and didn't see the reliability drop either.

Funny, I spent the last week on a road trip with my wife & daughter looking at colleges all over the east coast. Typical day had 6-8 hours of driving. Got home and needed to take my son's car out as mine was boxed in - he inherited the E350 and I couldn't believe how harsh it seems now. Before I got the LS I thought it was sweet - now it feels like the Rav4 What I thought was quiet is not and the power just doesn't come online as fast as either my SC or LS. Pretty amazing how much the bar has been raised.
Old 08-08-15, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've never gotten out of the dealer for less than $1K. They ALWAYS find something they "need" to fix. I switched to an indy and never get the upcharges and didn't see the reliability drop either.
Lexus is the same way when they get older and you're using the dealer though

Funny, I spent the last week on a road trip with my wife & daughter looking at colleges all over the east coast. Typical day had 6-8 hours of driving. Got home and needed to take my son's car out as mine was boxed in - he inherited the E350 and I couldn't believe how harsh it seems now. Before I got the LS I thought it was sweet - now it feels like the Rav4 What I thought was quiet is not and the power just doesn't come online as fast as either my SC or LS. Pretty amazing how much the bar has been raised.
Its incredible how much more solid and refined the LS is than other also expensive luxury cars...

The power difference is the V8...
Old 08-09-15, 07:27 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

The power difference is the V8...
I've got the 600 so it's the 5L V8 and the electric motors - linear acceleration from the moment I step on the gas (or electric) and it doesn't run out of more "go" until I chicken out and let off.
Old 08-10-15, 07:51 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got the 600 so it's the 5L V8 and the electric motors - linear acceleration from the moment I step on the gas (or electric) and it doesn't run out of more "go" until I chicken out and let off.
Or like me, until the speed limiter kicks in..
Zero to speed limiter in about 35 seconds.
Old 08-11-15, 11:48 AM
gxrunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got an '09 600. Still runs as smoothly and quietly since the day we got it. We're gonna keep it for another 5yrs if it can make it. I'm always reminded of this when I drive other cars and have a tough time listening to the radio/music/etc.

Today, I would select a S-class over the 600. Lexus has made strides in its design but MB continues to kill it, year after year.
Old 08-12-15, 09:32 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gxrunner
We've got an '09 600. Still runs as smoothly and quietly since the day we got it. We're gonna keep it for another 5yrs if it can make it. I'm always reminded of this when I drive other cars and have a tough time listening to the radio/music/etc.
Agreed. The amazing thing about the LS sometimes isn't "wow this is amazing" but "why isn't every other car this good?". You start to take all of it for granted; then wonder why everybody else didn't think of that.

Today, I would select a S-class over the 600. Lexus has made strides in its design but MB continues to kill it, year after year.
If i was buying new or leasing right now I agree. The W222 is really a step up from the last car; almost half a segment upmarket from the rest of the pack. The new design is a very nice upgrade; and the tech and amenities are first rate (although I might add it's taken them almost 7 years to add things my LS already has). I might even spring for the Maybach.

If I'm in for the long haul or buying second hand I still pick the Lexus for its higher quality and durability. And even now it's still a really nice car.

All this will change in a year when both the new LS and new 7 series are both available.

From everything I've read I would expect the following:

LS 500: powered by the ~460 HP RCF/GSF engine with some tweaks.
LS 600h: same engine + hybrid powertrain == 510hp.
LS 500h: either a smaller V8 with hybrid or Hydrogen Fuel cell powered car

LSF?: they'd be a little crazy not to consider this; but sales volumes might not support it. An F-sport for all above trims at least.

And what else? Maybe some crazy self-driving tech? Or kick *** accident avoidance? Crazy thin and light battery for the hybrid(s)? Who knows but I'm sure they'll have something to make everybody stand up and take notice. Improve and bring back the parking system please.

Reveal could be at the Tokyo Motor Show this fall (as a thinly veiled concept car) followed by on-sale next year sometime.

Then we'll see who's top dog; the game will change again as it always does.

Old 08-13-15, 08:36 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I'm in for the long haul or buying second hand I still pick the Lexus for its higher quality and durability. And even now it's still a really nice car.
This. I just bought an '08 460 (which is testing my faith a bit because I have to pay for new front upper control arms, but checked out perfectly otherwise). There is no way I'd even consider buying an '08 S-Class.

LS 500: powered by the ~460 HP RCF/GSF engine with some tweaks.
LS 600h: same engine + hybrid powertrain == 510hp.
LS 500h: either a smaller V8 with hybrid or Hydrogen Fuel cell powered car
I haven't heard anything about a new 600h. From what I've read so far it will be 500 and 500h only at introduction. Maybe they'll have something up their sleeve later to compete at the S-Class price point.

Quick Reply: Where are the 600h's ?