LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 ls460 bouncy ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 12:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

If a hollow control arm is bent it's a lot of force applied but to bend a solid short control arm requires an unbelievable amount of force. I cant see a ditch doing this without blowing out the strut and bending adjoining parts.
Something major happened to this vehicle and it was put back into service otherwise it would have been deemed totaled easily. I would look for evidence of newer parts mixed in with older ones.
I suspect that the fame is bent and it needs to go on a frame rack for inspection and possible correction.
Old 06-27-15, 04:29 PM
Devh
Racer

I just had a thought since you just purchase the car. It wouldn't be a bad idea to research the history and contact the place purchased and let them know they sold you an unsafe car. Let them know what they can do to make it right otherwise you will bring this matter to the states attorney
If you find evidence that it was re-titled or anything shady you may have some sort of recourse depending on where it was purchased. From your description the car is unsafe to drive and it possibly should have been totaled. If the trail leads you to the car being fixed and the parties involved you may have a case.

Last edited by Devh; 06-27-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 07:35 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I just had a thought since you just purchase the car. It wouldn't be a bad idea to research the history and contact the place purchased and let them know they sold you an unsafe car. Let them know what they can do to make it right otherwise you will bring this matter to the states attorney
If you find evidence that it was re-titled or anything shady you may have some sort of recourse depending on where it was purchased. From your description the car is unsafe to drive and it possibly should have been totaled. If the trail leads you to the car being fixed and the parties involved you may have a case.
If you look at post #10, the OP said he bought it from a private party. It's really hard in those cases to prove they knew it was bad unless there are records (Lexus service maybe) that show someone told her about the problem when she owned it. He might get lucky with the Lexus record check and see that she declined a fix but if not, he's on his own.
Old 06-28-15, 08:49 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
If you look at post #10, the OP said he bought it from a private party. It's really hard in those cases to prove they knew it was bad unless there are records (Lexus service maybe) that show someone told her about the problem when she owned it. He might get lucky with the Lexus record check and see that she declined a fix but if not, he's on his own.
Your right. If the OP can find a record of repair and who performed it, it can then be argued because it's clearly a safety issue and someone is responsible allowing this vehicle on the road let alone selling it in this condition. If the trail goes cold then no evidence. The car had to have been fixed at minimum to get the alignment back to spec and I have a feeling that this repair is off the books for good reason. There are some online services that you can enter in your VIN number and see if there are any police reports as there will be a brief description of the visual damage and if the car had to be towed because of the severity of the accident. The OP can then contact the previous owner and asked where the car was repaired.

Last edited by Devh; 06-28-15 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-28-15, 12:09 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by bramble
Hi Doublebase believe me I'm not excited at all about this situation, I already bought the car and shame on me for overlooking the problem when I first test drove it. It was the color I wanted pearl white with alabaster interior rare combination here in CA all the white cars usually comes with the tan/cashmere color I didn't want. So when I came across this car I jumped on it and got it after test driving it but funny I did not feel anything weird about it while test driving it but on the way home I felt the suspension up and down thought it was blown shocks. Boy am I in for a surprise after taking it home from 300 miles away. So now that I own the car I have to deal with it and fix what I can to get it right regardless of how much it will cost me I think I surpass that feeling of spending too much on it already is 8k sound crazy? Yes it for a use car and yet it still hasn't fix the problem, with what I spent so far I could of gotten a newer model like what dlbuckls10 said a 09' or later model. I do feel bad and I do kind of regret getting rid of my GS430 my stuborness gotten the best of me even when my wife didn't agree with me of getting the LS460 but I talked her into it. And worst feeling I'm keeping all this from her she has no idea of what I've done and what I've been doing to the car. I guess too late for all that just wanna get this done right and get over with it.
When I looked at the rear cradle/subframe it didn't look to crazy to replace I have to ask my mechanic and see if it's a lot of work. I'm just hoping it's not the subframe that is giving me this problem, I'm hoping it's the knuckle that I will be replacing next week. What the heck another $365 is not gonna kill me after what I already spent. Do you guys think any other parts that have gotten bent that is making my wheel out of specs and hitting the fender. I took some pictures but I'm not sure how to post them here. I will look into it and maybe post it so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Thanks guys!
I feel bad for you bramble, this car has been hit pretty hard and the person you bought it off of took advantage of you. I'd call a lawyer to at least ask the question if there is anything you can do...heck there's got to be a lawyer on this site, it is a Lexus site after all.

Your alignment angles don't look too bad because they are measured when the tires are on the ground, but based off your pictures the suspension geometry changes drastically when the suspension is compressed, leading to your problems. The car was hit pretty hard and they never bothered to fix anything but the cosmetics of the vehicle - which happens a lot more than you can imagine. What generally happens is the insurance company gives an estimate for the things they can see. They don't go looking for suspension damage. Now once the vehicle is driven, and it is determined that there is structural problems, then the insurance company will get involved once again and make adjustments to the claim and repair the vehicle to the best they can. This vehicle never went that far; it was fixed cosmetically, but the owner dumped it afterwards. Just by hearing you talk about how the vehicle handles...and by looking at the condition of the tires...this vehicle hasn't been driven much since that accident.
Old 06-28-15, 12:29 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

But the amount of money proving that is going to cost more than the cost to fix the vehicle, assuming the frame isn't bent. You could always trade the car in for another LS, too.
Old 06-28-15, 02:18 PM
bramble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Thanks again for the thoughts and inputs, I did a carfax check before I bought the car no accidents history or any kind of recommended service for any suspensions for the vehicle. I checked the sunroof for any damages or if it's uneven or off but it seems fine. Before replacing all the rear control arms I checked to see if any old parts were replaced with new parts nothing new as I can see. After reviewing my pictures that I took and comparing it with a picture of a used rear subframe/craddle mines seems a little off/bent where it connects the arm as you can see in the picture the bottom of it the paint has chipped off. I'm assuming that the part there somehow got hit or impacted so hard that it bent both the control arm and subframe. Maybe the car went over a big ditch/pothole or something but whatever the cause of it I'm still puzzled.
The seller that I bought the car from seems pretty honest by talking to her she seems pretty clueless to vehicles/cars in general. She had the car for 5 years said it was never been in a car accident just a minor bumper paint repair that when she backed up into some sort of box that scratched up the bumper.
After giving it some thoughts and trying to figure what's the problem with the car I'm gonna give it one last shot by replacing the subframe/craddle with a used one. I'm pretty sure this is the problem that my wheel is off specs. As what NickTee wrote, I agree With the suspension damage done to it, I think the car may have been hit or gone through the world's largest pothole and it's more likely that the subframe is damaged rather than the knuckle. The knuckle is a very beefy part and think the subframe mounts would fail before the knuckle would bend.
Old 06-28-15, 02:34 PM
bramble
Driver School Candidate

this is was where the bent control arm came out off

it looks bent to me

see the part where it's a little rusty, there's paint chip seems like it got like that because some kind of impact caused it

bent control arms/ brand new one

bent arm before replacing

different view of arm bent

new arm

car undercarriage was really dirty seems like they took this vehicle offroading
Old 06-28-15, 02:36 PM
bramble
Driver School Candidate

Old 07-12-15, 11:49 AM
bramble
Driver School Candidate

Smile

At last and finally found out the problem and got it fix it turned out that the rear subframe cradle where I suspected in the first place was bent. I have no idea how that happened from the previous owner but I'm glad that I found the problem and got it fixed car drives amazing now. Thank you for everyone support.
Old 07-12-15, 11:57 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thing I suggested replacing the subframe, first. It's not particularly surprising, considering the forces required to bend those other parts. Congrats on fixing it.
Old 07-12-15, 12:00 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Great news. "Live long and prosper"
Old 07-22-15, 10:18 AM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Default I'm not trying to hijack this thread but…

I'm in the market for a new car and the LS460 is at the top of my list because, of the newer cars I'm considering, Lexus seems to have avoided the issue of carbon buildup on the valves common with direct injection engines by using port injection too. Anyway, I'm torn between a 2006 LS430 Sport and a 2008-2009 LS460 standard suspension (non air). I love the tech and design of the 460 but like the stability of the 430 Sport.

What is the opinion of you owners about the comparison of the 430 sport suspension and the 460 standard suspension regarding ride and handling? Which is the more composed and "tossable" of the two?
Old 07-22-15, 11:14 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
I'm in the market for a new car and the LS460 is at the top of my list because, of the newer cars I'm considering, Lexus seems to have avoided the issue of carbon buildup on the valves common with direct injection engines by using port injection too. Anyway, I'm torn between a 2006 LS430 Sport and a 2008-2009 LS460 standard suspension (non air). I love the tech and design of the 460 but like the stability of the 430 Sport.

What is the opinion of you owners about the comparison of the 430 sport suspension and the 460 standard suspension regarding ride and handling? Which is the more composed and "tossable" of the two?
That's a loaded controversial question. I can tell you from an enthusiast point of view who owns a non air LS RWD that the car handles well for a big luxury car. What I mean is that it's not a BMW or your typical sporty luxury car that you can take around corners and have fun with because it's boat built around comfort, not tossable at all. What it does do well in the handling department is become a very easy car to drive that drives you with all of the refinement you expect from a luxury focused car. It's also very stable on the highway as a cruiser.

I have never driven the sport version of the 430 but if it drives like it centered around being more BMW like that would be the way to go if you want tossable. It wouldn't be a bad idea to own a BMW five series under warranty if you want to drive a driver focused car.

Last edited by Devh; 07-22-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-22-15, 11:36 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bramble
At last and finally found out the problem and got it fix it turned out that the rear subframe cradle where I suspected in the first place was bent. I have no idea how that happened from the previous owner but I'm glad that I found the problem and got it fixed car drives amazing now. Thank you for everyone support.
I'm glad you finally have solved your problems with your 460. You almost replaced your entire suspension system plus your rear sub-frame. Your 460 will drive and ride like a new one. A job well done. Now you can really enjoy your 460.

Quick Reply: 2007 ls460 bouncy ride