LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Variance in suspension heigh(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 03:08 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Understood!
I hadn't even heard of corner balancing before it was spoken of here.
This practice would seem to be quite tedious, however vitally important for the vehicle.
My car was a company car for three years where the original original owner had it for three years and put about 28-31k on it. Then the second owner put about 35k on it over the next 5. If judging by the condition of the seats, neither owner had a child/children and the passenger seat was rarely, and I mean rarely used. Trunk area isn't abused but definitely has signs of wear. But what I wouldn't know at all, is how either owner drove the vehicle.
One more thing I forgot to mention earlier, was that when I performed the measurements, the car was parked on a slight slanted grade. The rear of the car was on the area of the grade that slanted downward. But even with this being the case, I doubt the measurements would vary too drastically.
Over all I am very satisfied with how the car handles. However this thread has influenced me to take a good look at my struts for leaks, just because.
Enoch, I definitely hope you are able to resolve the issue, and hope the strut will be the only culprit! Otherwise and again, it's a beautiful car!
Great thread! Great forum!
According to the dealer where I purchased the car, it was owned by an older couple and when the husband died the wife traded it in. That would explain why the leather in car is in great condition but then again there are some deep scratches on the seatbelt pillars fro the front passengers (I'm not quite sure what it's called). Otherwise everything is almost mint. But that doesn't reveal how the previous owners drove either.
A slight grade shouldn't impact your results too much if at all since the load is still even.
Hopefully the issue is just that one shock. And I'll be contacting the dealer I bought the car from to see if they'll cover the repair.
Thanks! The white color really is striking! Beautiful car you got here yourself!
And yes, great thread, great forum!

On a side note, anyone know how much the 60k mile service costs?
Old 05-15-15, 06:47 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
According to the dealer where I purchased the car, it was owned by an older couple and when the husband died the wife traded it in. That would explain why the leather in car is in great condition but then again there are some deep scratches on the seatbelt pillars fro the front passengers (I'm not quite sure what it's called). Otherwise everything is almost mint. But that doesn't reveal how the previous owners drove either.
A slight grade shouldn't impact your results too much if at all since the load is still even.
Hopefully the issue is just that one shock. And I'll be contacting the dealer I bought the car from to see if they'll cover the repair.
Thanks! The white color really is striking! Beautiful car you got here yourself!
And yes, great thread, great forum!

On a side note, anyone know how much the 60k mile service costs?
Hey buddy, thanks alot, greatly appreciated! These cars over all are just beautiful cars. They aren't edgy I'm their appearance, however they are very classy and garner alot of attention amongst onlookers! I get compliments quite frequently.
Regarding the 60k service, here's am older but relevant thread I pulled up:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...460-60k-3.html

Hope that helps!
Old 05-16-15, 01:59 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Hey buddy, thanks alot, greatly appreciated! These cars over all are just beautiful cars. They aren't edgy I'm their appearance, however they are very classy and garner alot of attention amongst onlookers! I get compliments quite frequently.
Regarding the 60k service, here's am older but relevant thread I pulled up:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...460-60k-3.html

Hope that helps!
I've actually lost track of the amount of comments I've got on the car.. Everyone seems to think it's a 2015 And are awed when they sit inside. Definitely a very classy looking car that's understated.

Thanks for that link.. I found it interesting when I called to schedule an appointment that they didn't mention sparkplugs needing to be changed... I'll inquire about that when I bring the car in since in the scheduled maintenance document, spark plugs are listed on there.
For anyone that is wondering, I was quoted $500 for the 60k service. Total job, as they said, would take 4-6 hours.
Old 05-16-15, 09:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I've actually lost track of the amount of comments I've got on the car.. Everyone seems to think it's a 2015 And are awed when they sit inside. Definitely a very classy looking car that's understated.

Thanks for that link.. I found it interesting when I called to schedule an appointment that they didn't mention sparkplugs needing to be changed... I'll inquire about that when I bring the car in since in the scheduled maintenance document, spark plugs are listed on there.
For anyone that is wondering, I was quoted $500 for the 60k service. Total job, as they said, would take 4-6 hours.
Lol!! So funny about the 2015 remark regarding your car.
When I bought the car home, my wife wasn't home yet.
When she did arrive, she freak out a bit initially because she thought we (I) had purchased
a car entirely out of our budget! She knew it wasn't a '15, but thought it was a '13!
Too funny!
Regarding the service, I have it written down from the dealership that did most all of the maintenance for the previous owner of my vehicle.
I believe it's:
Engine Filters
Cabin Filter
Brake Fluid (?)
Coolant flush
And perhaps one more thing I'm missing...I can't recall about the plugs.
If I'm not mistaken, the dealer told me if it were him he'd change them out at about 100k.
I'll double check and let you know.
But regarding the filter changes, those can be done in your garage. I believe Double base said they sell our engine filters at Wal-Mart. Cabin from eBay.
Toyota can do the brake fluid for about $60-$70 as opposed to Lexus: ~$130.
And I'm almost 100% site you can purge your own coolant, just be sure to purchase Toyota coolant and air purge the system.
Old 05-17-15, 01:13 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Lol!! So funny about the 2015 remark regarding your car.
When I bought the car home, my wife wasn't home yet.
When she did arrive, she freak out a bit initially because she thought we (I) had purchased
a car entirely out of our budget! She knew it wasn't a '15, but thought it was a '13!
Too funny!
Regarding the service, I have it written down from the dealership that did most all of the maintenance for the previous owner of my vehicle.
I believe it's:
Engine Filters
Cabin Filter
Brake Fluid (?)
Coolant flush
And perhaps one more thing I'm missing...I can't recall about the plugs.
If I'm not mistaken, the dealer told me if it were him he'd change them out at about 100k.
I'll double check and let you know.
But regarding the filter changes, those can be done in your garage. I believe Double base said they sell our engine filters at Wal-Mart. Cabin from eBay.
Toyota can do the brake fluid for about $60-$70 as opposed to Lexus: ~$130.
And I'm almost 100% site you can purge your own coolant, just be sure to purchase Toyota coolant and air purge the system.
I'm getting to the point where I don't even feel like correcting people anymore because I correct them and then they forget.

I can definitely do the whole service by myself but time has become the issue. So at the end of the day I'd rather pay someone to do it. It also helps with selling the car assuming I ever decide to get rid of it because I can clearly show that the car has been maintained by the dealer and people seem to like that. Also I'll be going through the dealer for all other work since my warranty will be paying for it.
Old 05-18-15, 11:13 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Quick update:
I took my car into a local Indy and got a quote of $893 to replace the 2 rear shocks. I contacted the dealer I purchased the vehicle through and they agreed to cover the repair if I bring the car to the. I'm not looking forward to waste 11 total hours of drive time on top of the time it takes to get issue resolved.. That's a whole business day wasted and then some.
I'm in the process of negotiating with them to compensate me to have a local repair shop do the repair. Hopefully I have success with it. Otherwise I might just suck it up and either pay to have it fixed or just drive there to get things repaired.
Old 05-20-15, 06:57 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Anyone know what kind of unicorn blood or magical leprechaun shocks Lexus is putting on cars? I just talked with them and they gave me a bonkers $3600-$3800 estimate to replace both rear shocks.
Old 05-20-15, 07:06 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone know what kind of unicorn blood or magical leprechaun shocks Lexus is putting on cars? I just talked with them and they gave me a bonkers $3600-$3800 estimate to replace both rear shocks.
I thought you had a warranty...does or will it not cover shot shocks? Or are they considered a ware item?
As for the price, therees no way anyone should pay that price. I've learned from recent personal experience that dealing with the dealership regarding certain repairs is just a no go. The prices are just absolutely too inflated.
I would suggest getting part numbers and exploring south Atlanta Lexus, Carson Lexus, rockauto.com, eBay, Amazon, partsgeek, trademotion or obtaining the parts from a salvaged LS.
Also, use the search function at the top of the site, as I'm sure something will populate regarding your inquiry.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-15, 07:29 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

I thought you had a warranty...does or will it not cover shot shocks? Or are they considered a ware item?
As for the price, therees no way anyone should pay that price. I've learned from recent personal experience that dealing with the dealership regarding certain repairs is just a no go. The prices are just absolutely too inflated.
I would suggest getting part numbers and exploring south Atlanta Lexus, Carson Lexus, rockauto.com, eBay, Amazon, partsgeek, trademotion or obtaining the parts from a salvaged LS.
Also, use the search function at the top of the site, as I'm sure something will populate regarding your inquiry.
Hope that helps.
I do have a warranty but it doesn't cover normal maintenance items which include shock absorbers. They do cover control arms though.
In this case I'll most likely be taking the car back to the dealer I bought the car from and they'll cover the repair 100%. Either that or if I can find an Indy that is relatively inexpensive, the purchasing dealer will cover 50% of the cost. I was just shocked that replacing non air struts could be that expensive at the dealer. I'll be having the Lexus dealer perform all warranty work in the future though.
Old 05-20-15, 07:39 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I do have a warranty but it doesn't cover normal maintenance items which include shock absorbers. They do cover control arms though.
In this case I'll most likely be taking the car back to the dealer I bought the car from and they'll cover the repair 100%. Either that or if I can find an Indy that is relatively inexpensive, the purchasing dealer will cover 50% of the cost. I was just shocked that replacing non air struts could be that expensive at the dealer. I'll be having the Lexus dealer perform all warranty work in the future though.
Oh, ok.
I apparently misunderstood you. I thought you had composed this entry due to the fact that Lexus had decided it was not willing to assist you in repairing the car and that bill was to be footed by you.
For that cost, if the dealer is going to foot the bill, then by all means set aside the time, take a trip and let them take care of it.
Personally i'd also advise them of this severe inconvenience this is causing for you and see if they can at least render you a rental, as im sure you don't wish to be stuck at the dealership for a good few hours.