LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Suspension (non-air) Behavior Question

Old 05-19-15, 05:33 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by konradl
Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what mine does on the highways. It gets a bit annoying, especially when it hits dips on curves with higher speeds and tries to float away instead of sticking to the curve on a turn. The S class I had a few years back handled curves great.

The alignment and or tire pressure has everything to do with this phenomenon. The Firestone alignment that you got only corrects for toe where as the Lexus alignment adjust for caster, toe and camber. The Firestone alignment will just get the toe in the ballpark because their tollerances are loose.

I would not accept a car that floats away and needs over correction to compensate or one that feels disconnected. This is not normal behavior for this car. Either it drives fine at high speed pointed in the right direction or there is something wrong with the way the car follows the road.
I wish you can drive my car so you can compare it to yours.
Old 05-19-15, 09:02 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by konradl
Maybe it's just the difference in road surfaces, as other members have experienced similar behaviors. Alignment wouldn't have anything to do with it - it's the bouncing/floating when going over dips on the highway.
I've come to the conclusion that this is just the way the LS is supposed to be with the regular suspension - elastic and a bit springy on the highway. Other than that, the ride is very smooth.
I have only owned my 2007 460 for about 8 months but so far, I haven't experienced any adverse handling issues. I've made 3 long road trips in the last 6 months and found the car to handle perfectly at all times and speeds. With about 75,000 miles now, the gas mileage is excellent and the brakes are superb, I couldn't be happier so far (knock wood).
Old 05-20-15, 06:40 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devh
The alignment and or tire pressure has everything to do with this phenomenon. The Firestone alignment that you got only corrects for toe where as the Lexus alignment adjust for caster, toe and camber. The Firestone alignment will just get the toe in the ballpark because their tollerances are loose.

I would not accept a car that floats away and needs over correction to compensate or one that feels disconnected. This is not normal behavior for this car. Either it drives fine at high speed pointed in the right direction or there is something wrong with the way the car follows the road.
I wish you can drive my car so you can compare it to yours.
I think we're misunderstanding eachother a little.
What I meant was, if I'm traveling around 80-90, going around a curve and there are gradual dips (not bumps), and the car starts to bounce, and as it bounces up, there is less weight on the tires. Less weight on the tires + curve = heavy car starting to float a little. Again, I understand this is a luxury car and is not meant to cut corners on the Nuremberg, but initially when I first posted, I wasn't sure if this is the way this car is supposed to behave, or if I have bad struts.

At this point, I have new struts, alignment, tires etc. If I let go of the wheel - it goes perfectly straight. If I hit dips on the highway - it bounces perfectly straight. There shouldn't be much, if any difference between our cars and how they handle if both are equipped with stock parts. My alignment was nearly perfect before, and is now, after the struts. I check my tire pressure with a digital gauge every few weeks to the t - it's a pet peeve of mine, just as a bad alignment is. I can tell if the alignment is bad if the car tries to float, one way, or the other, on the upspring from hitting dips during highway speeds (going straight), which is what I think you are referring to, but it's not doing that.

We have different surfaces in different parts of the country, so what I experience on the crappy CT roads, may be different from what you experience and many others down south. Different styles of driving may also be why some agree with what I have experienced, and others have not noticed it. I like to drive spirited - whether it be the truck, Z06, the mower, or the LS - they all burned rubber at one time or another. However, I do maintain everything the way it's supposed to, and more. But I think most agree that the LS's suspension is not considered stiff by any means. It's a soft cloud-like ride and I'll take it for what it is with a smile.

Now, to settle this, I think we should have a meet-up, as a reason for a road trip along the east coast.
Old 05-20-15, 06:45 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Great info konradl. I have 85K on my car and do not experience the "bouncing/floating" yet, but I'm sure it is a matter of time. I will keep this thread in mind.
Thanks. I just noticed that you're from MA. Hopefully we will have a chance to run into eachother one day and possibly compare. Although, it's getting warm and I'm sure you'll be spending more time in the Scaglietti.